Filipinos: Catholics of Southeast Asia by Accident or by Providential Design?

Jul 13, 2009 | Posted by: Philnews | Full story: www.philnews.com

In 1519 thirty-nine-year-old Ferdinand Magellan set sail with 237 sailors on five Spanish ships to discover new lands for the Spanish crown and more importantly, to find a westward route to the Moluccas or Spice Islands of Indonesia. After more than 3 months sailing across the vast ocean he named Pacifico, Magellan's flotilla desperately short of food, water and supplies sighted what we now call the island of Guam. From there Magellan resupplied his ships headed due West and landed in Homonhon Island in Eastern Samar on March 16, 1521.

Comments
1 - 20 of 76 Comments Last updated Oct 28, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
senselessthinker

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Interesting. For sure, things would have been so different had Magellan landed not in the Philippines. I agree that the culture would have been like that of Indonesia or Malaysia. Probably, this is the Philippines’ destiny.
jbro

Seaford, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

look to the north and north west not to the south ur destiny will be more influenced my the chinese and the koreans and has been that way from the time the americans rolled out of subic bay and clark air base. but glory be to GOD THAT CHRISTIANS HAVE A PLACE IN THE PHILIPPINES and notice i spoke of all christians not just the Catholic Church

“To love and be loved”

Since: Jun 08

right here, right now...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

jbro wrote:
look to the north and north west not to the south ur destiny will be more influenced my the chinese and the koreans and has been that way from the time the americans rolled out of subic bay and clark air base. but glory be to GOD THAT CHRISTIANS HAVE A PLACE IN THE PHILIPPINES and notice i spoke of all christians not just the Catholic Church
"Glory be to God in the highest and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased" (Lk 2:14).

It's God's will that the Philippines would be Christians. Roman Catholics is 80% of the 90m population. Thanks God, the Filipinos are one of the most religious people in the world. They have strong faith in God.

“To love and be loved”

right here, right now...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

senselessthinker wrote:
Interesting. For sure, things would have been so different had Magellan landed not in the Philippines. I agree that the culture would have been like that of Indonesia or Malaysia. Probably, this is the Philippines’ destiny.
Exactly, "senselessthinker"!! !
Rethink

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

senselessthinker wrote:
Islam came to the Philippines around the 13th century, about two hundred years before the advent of Christianity in this country in 1521. the positive role of Islam was somehow affected by the intrusion of colonialism of the Spanish expeditions for colonization and Christianization.

To me it is sad how your great grandfather and great grandmother who were Muslims were treated by this Christian terrorist. And please remember that Manila came from an Arabic word that have meaning of supplication to Allah. may one day all of you embrace Islam again.
Linda

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Rethink wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam came to the Philippines around the 13th century, about two hundred years before the advent of Christianity in this country in 1521. the positive role of Islam was somehow affected by the intrusion of colonialism of the Spanish expeditions for colonization and Christianization.
To me it is sad how your great grandfather and great grandmother who were Muslims were treated by this Christian terrorist. And please remember that Manila came from an Arabic word that have meaning of supplication to Allah. may one day all of you embrace Islam again.
this is a very good example of a little knowledge is dangerous

“Better, conquer yourself”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Rethink wrote:
<quoted text>
Before Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism were prevailing in Malaysia and Indonesia. Will you be embracing Hinduism or Buddhism again? Iran was following Zoroastrianism, will they embrace that again? These kind of questions and answers are stupid.

Most of the converted Christians of Phils were Hindus or Buddhist or Animists. All these religions believes in peace. So conversion from one to another happens.

“To love and be loved”

right here, right now...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

bornleader wrote:
<quoted text>
Before Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism were prevailing in Malaysia and Indonesia. Will you be embracing Hinduism or Buddhism again? Iran was following Zoroastrianism, will they embrace that again? These kind of questions and answers are stupid.
Most of the converted Christians of Phils were Hindus or Buddhist or Animists. All these religions believes in peace. So conversion from one to another happens.
In the beginning the Filipinos were "pagans".
senselessthinker

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Rethink wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam was not particularly affected by the introduction of Christianity by the Spaniards in the Philippines. In fact, Mindanao, which is the stronghold of Islam, remains to be as it is. As what Kiss and Tell pointed out, most of the Philippine islands’ people are not monotheists. So I think your post is radioactive.

“To love and be loved”

right here, right now...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

senselessthinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam was not particularly affected by the introduction of Christianity by the Spaniards in the Philippines. In fact, Mindanao, which is the stronghold of Islam, remains to be as it is. As what Kiss and Tell pointed out, most of the Philippine islands’ people are not monotheists. So I think your post is radioactive.
And as I heard, before the natives were not governed by religious laws and doctrines. Everything was not forbidden and they could do anything they want without thinking of morals and ethics. When Christianity was introduced and they were converted things were never the same again.
Pedro

Holbrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Christianity and Islam are strangers that both came to the islands that is now the Philippines.

Both used violence to subdue the natives... only the Spaniards ways are more detailed because of their historians.

But even the natives here came from outside the Philippines...

Nobody can guess when these islands were first stumbled upon by humans...millions of years ago...

So nobody can say that they are the descendants of the first people here...

Christians and Muslims and those of other religions, when they were born here can claim they are Filipinos, even those who were not born here can be naturalized Filipinos...

What is wierd is that violence is still used by religions to show their 'righteousness'...which is still primitive thinking, like the time of Magellan inspite of the years that man gained civilization, education, morals and laws...

Why people still kill others in the name of religion is the question...is it one of the purposes of religion? Kill others who do not have the same beliefs?

Is it not 'Satanic'?

Surely it is not 'Godly'.

Or maybe I missed something about religions...
Pedro

Holbrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Tita Irene wrote:
The Philippines will always be the emerald of the Spanish empire. las Filipinas is Spains's whatever you say. If not for Spain and Magellan, Filipinos wont be Filipinos today. they will still be unggoys and illiterates like UTANKA and all here except Elias Ibarra na matalino. Magellan christianized the filipinos. imagine if philippines is called INGOT or KUlangot and the people are called Ingotanian or Kulangotanese wow, what is the language called "ingotan" or "Kulangoten" hahahaha. Then what is the religion, maybe not muslim but siguro HINDU kasi the first ethnic tribe in the Philippines are the Dravidians from sanskrit-speaking India. Mga pinoy na original ay lahing UTANKA or is it UTENKA.
Tita Irene, had the Spaniards not occupied the islands maybe we could have been like Thailand or Taiwan now. We have our own language and own alphabet. Our names would be asian-sounding that reflect our features.

I read somewhere that our folk dance 'tinikling'
originally came from a form of punishment for hacienda workers who did not work fast enough,
they were lined-up with two thorny bamboo poles
banged against each other so that the workers would have to jump to avoid being hurt and cut...this way they have to work faster for their spanish masters...

again 400 years under them but we never became hispanics nor latinos, we are asians...

we do not speak their language like the mexicans, peruvians, argentinians, guatemalans, etc.

we speak tagalog and bisaya, etc.

but we speak english, with a strange tweak though...
Southeastwind

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Rethink wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought Manila came from the word NILAD. A kind of rare plant which can only be seen during that time on the riverbank of Pasig. Thay is why they called the place Manila for the words "may Nilad". When people who are going to the place was asked where they are going they usually answer "to may Nilad".
Before Christ was born... there were already believers that a prophet will be born and he will be the Christ. A year after he died, there is already Christianity (this is a way long ago before 13th Century). These were the people who believed in His teachings.
It may be late before it reaches the Philippines, but the faith is already alive and it is true. Thanks to the conquestidores who intruduce the faith that I enjoy today.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Tita Irene wrote:
<quoted text>
hello pedro,
tagalog, bisaya, ilocano, and all other filipino dialects are ethnic derivatives. they were all linguistic groups from foreign influence. Tagalog came from the original Indian tribe that settled on Pasig river. they were speqaking sanskrit. they were also settled in cebu and the visayan islands. thats why when the spaniards arrived in 1521, they called the natives "INDIO" because they all look like UTANKA BOMBAY hahahhahah.
there was an era when filipinos were spanish- speakers until 1973. i can still speak and understand spanish myself although losing my fluency in speaking bec i had been speaking english consistently. nababloktot na ang castillan ko. mukha akong tsimay, hincdi ako tisay pero comprendo bien ko ang kastila. say mo dyan. sosyal ako at marunong ako ng castila. o bakit ang mga guatemalans, nicaraguans at native mexicans, ang papangit din nila qah, mas pangit pa sa mgqa filipino pero kastilaloy silqa. huag mong isnabin ang beuty ng mga pinay at marami ding maruno magkastila.
o di ba si "GLory Be" Arroyo ay very fluent in spanish. but if you look at kumareng Gloria, isa syang daKILANG PANGO NA, pandak pa ahahahhahhhhaahaha, anong sey mo dyan pedro. buti ka pa nasa New york. nakarating na ako dyan. hahaha ang daming negrong guapo, type ko sila.
if you look at singkil and tinikling pareho ang dating nila. muslim-influenced sila. i heard your story on tinikling. fiction yan.
If Spaniards did not colonized Philippines would be another economic power in asia. Spaniards stolen everything and destroyed the culture. What is the problem with 'Bombay' and 'Dravidian' culture. Go and see Southern India. There is one state 'Kerala' 99% literate people, clever. You can see them all over world. UAE government told, if Keralites are not there UAE will not develop like this. Then search 'Malayalam' scripts in Google. You will see scripts alike Tagalog scripts. Malayalam is the mother tongue of Keralites. I believe these Keralite came and settled in Phils before Spaniards. Search Keralites faces in Google. One of the most beautiful Indians. Then you wont feel shame about Dravidians. Okay?
pedro

Holbrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

Tita Irene wrote:
<quoted text>
hello pedro,
tagalog, bisaya, ilocano, and all other filipino dialects are ethnic derivatives. they were all linguistic groups from foreign influence. Tagalog came from the original Indian tribe that settled on Pasig river. they were speqaking sanskrit. they were also settled in cebu and the visayan islands. thats why when the spaniards arrived in 1521, they called the natives "INDIO" because they all look like UTANKA BOMBAY hahahhahah.
there was an era when filipinos were spanish- speakers until 1973. i can still speak and understand spanish myself although losing my fluency in speaking bec i had been speaking english consistently. nababloktot na ang castillan ko. mukha akong tsimay, hincdi ako tisay pero comprendo bien ko ang kastila. say mo dyan. sosyal ako at marunong ako ng castila. o bakit ang mga guatemalans, nicaraguans at native mexicans, ang papangit din nila qah, mas pangit pa sa mgqa filipino pero kastilaloy silqa. huag mong isnabin ang beuty ng mga pinay at marami ding maruno magkastila.
o di ba si "GLory Be" Arroyo ay very fluent in spanish. but if you look at kumareng Gloria, isa syang daKILANG PANGO NA, pandak pa ahahahhahhhhaahaha, anong sey mo dyan pedro. buti ka pa nasa New york. nakarating na ako dyan. hahaha ang daming negrong guapo, type ko sila.
if you look at singkil and tinikling pareho ang dating nila. muslim-influenced sila. i heard your story on tinikling. fiction yan.
Most Pinoys have austronesian features, a few have chinese, spanish, etc...

Well, the spaniards came and occupied the islands for 400 years and the pinoys revolted...that's where most of the national heroes came from...
and it's history, surely not fiction...

about tinikling you may be right or wrong...

http://www.giancruz.com/portfolio/imd110/city...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

Tita Irene wrote:
<quoted text>
i have never been ashamed of the Dravidian race. oh my gosh, my great grandparents were extracts of the early tribes from the fall of Angkor Wat that sailed through the Philippine shores. many of my relatives looked like fair-brown skinned indians of mixed races. they are always mistaken for as indians. The early filipinos were called INDIOS by the spaniards bec they looked like indians. so when Magellan named the archipelago after KING FELIPE II of Spain as "Las Islas Filipinas", the "Indios" became "Filipinos". The world had been questioning why we are called weirdly as "Filipinos". the answer" - blame it to India and Rey Felipe (King Felipe).
There are three waves of Indianization of the Philippines: First wave was from indian ocean via Sumatra and they settled in the Visayas. Second wave was at the Fall of Angkor Wat where they settled on Pasig river in Manila, Palawan and Pangasinan. Third wave were the Gurkas that remained in Tanay near Manila where they colonized after the short British takeover (from Spain) of Manila around 17th century. So, if you look at Filipinos, many of us have dark skin and very good looking beauty and tantalizing eyes. we owe that to india. i find the indian race so beautiful, i mean the dravidians (not Aryans). It is the dravidian race that makes the Indians so beautiful and handsome. most indian men are handsome because of the dravidian race and so are the beautiful indian women. Take a look at Sushmita Sen, she is the darling of the Filipinos. oh i love Sajid khan. he is the most handsome indian mixed and stil very popular today among filipinos. he had a concert with NORA Aunor in LA last year. Google Nora Aunor, she looks more indian than sajid khan.
I hope i did not insult you fellow indian. I LOVE TO VISIT INDIA, SRILANKA AND MALDIVES one day.
You are welcome to India, to Kerala (We call 'god's own country'). My another friend from Ilocos came to Kerala to settle down there. For her it is coming back to home land, even tho she is having Spanish and Chinese ancestors. When i read your first comment i felt some kind of 'white worship' mentality (sorry if i misunderstood your comment). Filipinos are having this Spaniards are the only great people mentality. I always feel that is against the patriotic feelings and that is against the development of Phils.
Don The American

Quezon, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

Laughable,

All of you remind me of an adopted kid trying to imagine who his parents are. Who are we? What are we? Are we asian? Are we Spanish? GROW UP!!
If you dont know who you are as a person get an I.D. that will tell you. While hundreds of countries are so mixed you could never pin it down.

Ok, let me say it, Im an AMERICAN!!. That is not a race, its a country, my friend is form France, that is not a race but a country.

Being so concerned of your race smacks of racism OR trying to say you dont have a racial identity as a reason your country is so "F" up.
jbro

Seaford, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

u pretty much hit it on the head there Don! i am a white American of english-german decent but u know what every1 missed here in this forum, the fact that we r all children of God and we fight as children do because we have r own belief as to which God we will follow. with so many different religions in the world who is to know which 1 is the truth. that is why most of us have the fredom to choose but some dont. if u read the article thru u will see that the person who posted it was trying to push islam as the best for the people in the Phils. and his last statement proves what i have just stated. i have my belief and all others have theirs what ever it may be. i have a filipino wife and she is not Catholic or Muslim but a Christian and believe me there r differences in all religions. i prefer to wait until after death to know the real truth but as all i have my beliefs for this day and 1 day the light will shine and all will know who and or what is the truth. peace be to all mankind but mankind is so cruel at times so let us all carry peace in r hearts

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

Don The American wrote:
Laughable,
All of you remind me of an adopted kid trying to imagine who his parents are. Who are we? What are we? Are we asian? Are we Spanish? GROW UP!!
If you dont know who you are as a person get an I.D. that will tell you. While hundreds of countries are so mixed you could never pin it down.
Ok, let me say it, Im an AMERICAN!!. That is not a race, its a country, my friend is form France, that is not a race but a country.
Being so concerned of your race smacks of racism OR trying to say you dont have a racial identity as a reason your country is so "F" up.
Do you mean Philippines is like an orphan? Filipinos are like orphans? Let all Filipinos read your comment. They have to open their eyes. They have to stop the white worship. They have to see how other country citizens are proudly saying 'i am American' or 'i am Malaysian'
Gina

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

if the writer is supposed to be professional he could have quoted his source. it's nothing but down right rubbish and purely unprofessional with lack of ethical procedure in writing. no respect from the source making it a classical example of plagiarism.

this is probably brought about by the author's personal motive as a result of hate with strong intent of malice.

why? the title itself doesn't make any sense. why on earth Magellan as an experienced navigator would turn his course where he found the island in the pacific which is Guam? it's but logical to navigate straight forward hoping to find another much larger island than Guam.

why?

while it is known that some Dutch expedition years before that already discovered Malaysia in Malacca, Indonesia and Australia where the Dutch called Australia as "Australia del Espiritu Santo" (Australia means southern)

yes there was already a map within part of southeast Asia and Oceania before the Brits came to Australia in 1770.

that's the reason why maybe Magellan decided to navigate straight ahead cause the Philippines at that time wasn't discovered yet.

another logical reason is the Philippines is much closer from Guam than Taiwan.

now whatever happened in the past is past there's nothing we can do. if our attitude is continue to dwell on the past. then moving on will definitely be tough particularly if we debate which religion is better.

why not work on something more positive and productive that benefit us all?

why would we blame the things in the past? learn from it and move on.

there are vast excellent universities around where we can acquire skills to help our future.

why on earth we are so eager about which religion is good or worst?

if indeed Islam is a great religion then show it to us that you are indeed good and heavenly by showing to us all about peace, understanding and compassion.

the rate this topic is going i really don't understand by anyway why you consider Islam as great where the tone of writing seems rude and ugly.

please show us what's peace! by beginning to write something Godly, holy and forgiving.

May you find peace....

source of history:
i visited Malacca, Malaysia and
please Google Malaysia and Indonesia.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sailing News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coastguard Roundup: Coastguards investigate unm... Jun '14 Business course t... 1
Boat may be beached, but memories are still sai... Apr '14 Joy2day 1
Obama tees off on Oracle founder's private course (Feb '14) Feb '14 Really 3
From Wales' most notorious traffic cop to ticke... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Karma 1
I had a confidential informant tell police that... (Dec '13) Dec '13 caruso 2
When sailboats returned to the Neuse River (Nov '13) Nov '13 Savant 1
After near-catastrophe in the Atlantic, yachter... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Savant 1

Search the Sailing News Forum:
•••
•••