Editorial Notebook: 'Chasing Ice' captures beauty and tragedy of melting glaciers

Dec 30, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sacramento Bee Newspaper

Seeing "Chasing Ice," a new movie that chronicles the rapid disappearance of the world's glaciers as man-made climate change proceeds, I was reminded of Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now." In "Chasing Ice," we watch transfixed at the beauty of ancient ice mountains larger than Manhattan falling into the sea even as we are struck by the horror ... (more)

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 27 of27
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
We tried the H@ filter, once in a while on galaxies. We found it marginally functional on hot new stars in dark molecular clouds in some very near galaxies. But most often it raised contrast by eliminating lots of wavelengths. Generally, with our smaller scopes & desire to see far distant 12 to 15+ magnitude galaxies, that precluded the use of the H@ filter.
The H@ filter is spectacular on a star 8 light-minutes away......... not so good on stars 300 to 500 million light-years distant, even 100,000 stars burning in the ultra-violet.
Never got the opportunity to use the H@ filter on a 40inch Dobsonian telescope on some of those near-by galaxies.
Thanks for some new ideas to me.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

pinheadlitesout wrote:
<quoted text>
We tried the spacedoutblues filter, once in a while on galaxies. We found it "marginally" functional on hot new stars in dark molecular clouds we visit in some very near galaxies. But most often it raised contrast by eliminating lots of you and I wavelengths. Generally, with your smaller scopes we desire to see the large makes us unconfortable in the far distant 12 to 15+ magnitude galaxies, that precluded the use of the spaceoutblues filter.
The spaceoutblues filter is spectacular on a star 8 light-minutes away hard to wait that long, not so good on stars 300 to 500 million light-years distant, even 100,000 stars burning in the ultra-violet.
I Never got the opportunity to use the spaceoutblues filter on a 40incher on some of those near-by galaxies.
SpacedoutBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for some new ideas to me.
WOW another precious momment.
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Right on.
By the way, have you heard of the new movie, Promised Land?
Yeah, I'd like to see Promised Land. Van Sant's new movie, with Matt Damon.

Wish that greenies would stop attacking gas, however. Unless we get solid evidence that methane leaks are a major climate problem, gas is a very, very useful stopgap to replace coal while we wait for solar to become cost efficient and widespread.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Northie wrote:
Unless we get solid evidence that methane leaks are a major climate problem, gas is a very, very useful stopgap to replace coal ....
New research seems to conclude that some of the latter decade rises in atmospheric methane WERE due to methane leaks. However, quite a bit of work by the gas industry lately, have slowed methane leaks. Atmospheric Methane increases have slowed in recent years, despite the increasing emissions from permafrost & Arctic Ice Shelf clathrate warming.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Correction:
'Atmospheric Methane increases' should be:
'Global atmospheric Methane increases'
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

phud feces face wrote:
.......unconfortable (sic)......WOW.... momment(sic)......
WOW, more "phud feces face" misspellings. When he keeps to copying my posts tho, his spelling improves.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

pinheadlitesoutlitesong wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW, me "pinheadlitesout" do like my misspellings. When I keeps to copying my posts tho, my spelling improves.When I "pinheadlitesout" get spanked by tina I have make corrections to spelling.My way of saving face.
Say what!!You lost control when the tina spanked you again.You couldn't save face if fairy lame and spacedoutblues gave you a helping hand.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 27 of27
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Sacramento Forum right now

Search the Sacramento Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
White Guys: Would you date a black girl? Elaborate (Nov '07) 1 hr Sgt Peppers 5,210
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Transfatter Ohio 200,204
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 12 hr Punk a s Murabito 4,834
The Corner Coffee Shop: The new NOTHING Thread (Jan '08) 15 hr GreyMustang 6,647
editorial: California must improve vaccination ... Tue Provac Plopaganda 1
Horny Tue Helen of T 2
jammy wants a three way Jul 6 sgt pekkers 3
•••
•••
•••
Sacramento Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Sacramento Jobs

•••