Editorial Notebook: 'Chasing Ice' cap...

Editorial Notebook: 'Chasing Ice' captures beauty and tragedy of melting glaciers

There are 27 comments on the Sacramento Bee Newspaper story from Dec 30, 2012, titled Editorial Notebook: 'Chasing Ice' captures beauty and tragedy of melting glaciers. In it, Sacramento Bee Newspaper reports that:

Seeing "Chasing Ice," a new movie that chronicles the rapid disappearance of the world's glaciers as man-made climate change proceeds, I was reminded of Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now." In "Chasing Ice," we watch transfixed at the beauty of ancient ice mountains larger than Manhattan falling into the sea even as we are struck by the horror ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sacramento Bee Newspaper.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#1 Dec 30, 2012
Emotional stuff.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#2 Dec 31, 2012
Bet the Academy picks this as best documentary.
litesong

Everett, WA

#3 Dec 31, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
Emotional stuff.
I LOVE exceptional photography!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#4 Dec 31, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
I LOVE exceptional photography!
Me, too, litesong.

Look:

http://www.universetoday.com/99190/most-aweso...

Happy New Year to you and all.
litesong

Everett, WA

#5 Dec 31, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
Me, too, litesong.
Look:
http://www.universetoday.com/99190/most-aweso...
Happy New Year to you and all.
Thank you for the photo blizzard!

The Helix Nebula photo is spectacular & reminds me of visual observations we had with 40+inch aperture telescopes at Washington & Oregon Star Parties. But I never noticed any of the galaxies in the background that shows in your photograph. The solar picture remind me to tell you to strive to make eyepiece observations with a hydrogen alpha filter sometime. Once I observed an eruption that looked like solar plasma would leave the sun proximity entirely. However, arcing along the electro-magnetic loop, some of the plasma did return to the sun's photosphere, dissipating much of it into the magnetics all the way to the surface.
The Vesta photos remind me of the photos taken by a spacecraft that was sent orbit Eros & study.
The Cassini photos remind me of the time I was watching the Nasa channel, when Cassini was de-orbited out of solar orbit & placed into Saturnian orbit in 2004, I believe. Plopped it right between some of the rings! Even tho the rocket engine was burning, Cassini was still accelerating, as it was diving into Saturn's gravity well. But the intention was NOT to slow Cassini, but to take Cassini out of solar orbit & match Saturnian orbital speed at the particular point needed above Saturn.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#6 Jan 1, 2013
Before long the "pinheadlitesout and spaced out blues will send pictures of them - well you use your own imagination on this one.
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#7 Jan 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
The Helix Nebula photo is spectacular & reminds me of visual observations we had with 40+inch aperture telescopes at Washington & Oregon Star Parties. But I never noticed any of the galaxies in the background that shows in your photograph. The solar picture remind me to tell you to strive to make eyepiece observations with a hydrogen alpha filter sometime. Once I observed an eruption that looked like solar plasma would leave the sun proximity entirely. However, arcing along the electro-magnetic loop, some of the plasma did return to the sun's photosphere, dissipating much of it into the magnetics all the way to the surface.
The Vesta photos remind me of the photos taken by a spacecraft that was sent orbit Eros & study.
The Cassini photos remind me of the time I was watching the Nasa channel, when Cassini was de-orbited out of solar orbit & placed into Saturnian orbit in 2004, I believe. Plopped it right between some of the rings! Even tho the rocket engine was burning, Cassini was still accelerating, as it was diving into Saturn's gravity well. But the intention was NOT to slow Cassini, but to take Cassini out of solar orbit & match Saturnian orbital speed at the particular point needed above Saturn.
You are welcome.

Thanks for the meaningful comments. So much to know.
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#8 Jan 1, 2013
Northie wrote:
Bet the Academy picks this as best documentary.
Right on.

By the way, have you heard of the new movie, Promised Land?
litesong

Everett, WA

#9 Jan 1, 2013
phudd feces face wrote:
Before long the "pinheadlitesout and spaced out blues will send pictures of them - well you use your own imagination on this one.
All people hope that 'phudd feces face' does NOT display his 'phudd feces face'.... oh, a new AND more accurate name. Thanks to 'phudd feces face', who inspired & guided its way to its new names....... very evolutionary.
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#10 Jan 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
All people hope that 'phudd feces face' does NOT display his 'phudd feces face'.... oh, a new AND more accurate name. Thanks to 'phudd feces face', who inspired & guided its way to its new names....... very evolutionary.
YOU are brilliant.

Thanks for being here.
litesong

Everett, WA

#11 Jan 1, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
YOU are brilliant.
Thanks for being here.
I can take no credit. Fair Game initially did much to construct the name,'phudd feces face'. However, as I have already credited,'phudd feces face' himself, constructed his name willingly, as delineated by these following posts from another AGW thread:
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
phudd feces wrote:
I never mentioned what I hold.
//////////
litesong wrote:
.......'bout 100 pounds of phudd feces. Hey(not for horses), got a new name for phudd......'phudd feces'.
//////////
'phudd feces' wrote:
Sorry the only name fitting for you is still "pinheadlitesout".
//////////
litesong wrote:
I'm glad tho, that you love your new descriptive(& accurate) name. I knew you, being anally oriented, would welcome a recognition of your accomplishments.
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
litesong continues:
Again, with the final touches that 'phudd feces face' brought to bear in earlier posts on this thread, you now see, I gave little help to 'phudd feces face' as he constructed his name.

All honor & glory is given to 'phudd feces face', that his name may long endure & possibly gain in further accurate & descriptive stature.
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#12 Jan 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
I can take no credit. Fair Game initially did much to construct the name,'phudd feces face'. However, as I have already credited,'phudd feces face' himself, constructed his name willingly, as delineated by these following posts from another AGW thread:
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
phudd feces wrote:
//////////
litesong wrote:
.......'bout 100 pounds of phudd feces. Hey(not for horses), got a new name for phudd......'phudd feces'.
//////////
'phudd feces' wrote:
//////////
litesong wrote:
I'm glad tho, that you love your new descriptive(& accurate) name. I knew you, being anally oriented, would welcome a recognition of your accomplishments.
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
litesong continues:
Again, with the final touches that 'phudd feces face' brought to bear in earlier posts on this thread, you now see, I gave little help to 'phudd feces face' as he constructed his name.
All honor & glory is given to 'phudd feces face', that his name may long endure & possibly gain in further accurate & descriptive stature.
And so it is.

P.S. Your format is always succinct.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#13 Jan 1, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>And so it is.
P.S. Your format is always succinct.
And yours extinct.
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#14 Jan 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
phudd feces wrote:
//////////
litesong wrote:
//////////
'phudd feces' wrote:
//////////
litesong wrote:
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
litesong continues:
Brilliant.
litesong

Everett, WA

#15 Jan 2, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Your format is always succinct.
//////////
'phudd feces face' formulated:
And yours extinct.
//////////
litesong wrote:
& 'phudd feces face' is stinky....
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#16 Jan 2, 2013
litesong wrote:
SpaceBlues wrote:
Your format is always succinct.
//////////
'phudd feces face' formulated:
And yours extinct.
//////////
litesong wrote:
& 'phudd feces face' is stinky....
Are you kidding? No formulation by pff is possible.

It was a tip at the potluck or something like that.
SpaceBlues

Hockley, TX

#17 Jan 2, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a candidate for the hydrogen alpha filter:

http://www.sanjuanislander.com/component/cont...
litesong

Everett, WA

#18 Jan 2, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Here's a candidate for the hydrogen alpha filter:
http://www.sanjuanislander.com/component/cont...
We tried the H@ filter, once in a while on galaxies. We found it marginally functional on hot new stars in dark molecular clouds in some very near galaxies. But most often it raised contrast by eliminating lots of wavelengths. Generally, with our smaller scopes & desire to see far distant 12 to 15+ magnitude galaxies, that precluded the use of the H@ filter.

The H@ filter is spectacular on a star 8 light-minutes away......... not so good on stars 300 to 500 million light-years distant, even 100,000 stars burning in the ultra-violet.

Never got the opportunity to use the H@ filter on a 40inch Dobsonian telescope on some of those near-by galaxies.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#19 Jan 3, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Brilliant.pinheadlites out wrote:
<quoted text>
I can take no credit. Fair Game initially did much to construct the name,'pinheadlitesout'. However, as I have already credited,'pinheadlitesout feces face' myself, constructed my name willingly, as delineated by these following posts from another AGW thread:
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
PHD wrote:
//////////
pinheadlitesout wrote:
.......'bout 100 pounds of feces. Hey(not for horses), I got a new meal for me......'spaceout blues feces'.
//////////
'PHD' wrote:
//////////
pinheadlitesout wrote:
I'm glad tho, that you love my new descriptive(& accurate) name. I knew you, being correct, would welcome a recognition of my accomplishments.
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
pinheadlitesout continues:
Again, with the final touches that 'my feces face' brought to bear in earlier posts on this thread, you now see, I gave little help to 'my feces face' as I constructed my name.
All honor & glory is given to 'my feces face', that my name may long endure & possibly gain in further accurate & descriptive stature.
Now that's precious.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#20 Jan 3, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Are you kidding? My formulation by you is possible pinheadlitesout.
It was a tip that I suck at the potluck or something like that.
You got that one correct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sacramento Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bernie Has Huge Voter Numbers, Keep Fighting Ne... 16 min RiccardoFire 120
The Corner Coffee Shop: The new NOTHING Thread (Jan '08) 1 hr JTTF 7,072
News Man Accused Of Firing Paintballs At Stockton Ga... 17 hr Roscoe 52
do you want nude pictures? 22 hr The Judge 2
White Guys: Would you date a black girl? Elaborate (Nov '07) Sun White guy 5,410
Burn Baby Burn hahaha Sat Me Smell Hicks 7
News Alleged Fake Cop Speaks from Jail (Aug '07) Sat Your Service Prov... 67
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sacramento Mortgages