Former Basketball Coach Convicted of ...

Former Basketball Coach Convicted of Child Annoyance and Molest...

There are 448 comments on the News10 Sacramento story from Feb 13, 2008, titled Former Basketball Coach Convicted of Child Annoyance and Molest.... In it, News10 Sacramento reports that:

A Sacramento jury has found a former high school basketball coach and substitute teacher guilty of two counts of misdemeanor annoying and molesting a minor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News10 Sacramento.

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
about time

Sacramento, CA

#1 Feb 13, 2008
Well it's about time that he is found guilty. My only concern is how many other teenage boys have been scared to come forward? I believe I read somewhere that he also worked for a certain Park and Recreation district in the area as well. I give all support to the victim and his family for having the strength to face this and be in the public eye about this. That takes courage! I hope that Coe's supporters take a second to think again about the man they support. If twelve of his peers found him guilty without a reasonable doubt than any sane person would want to reconsider supporting him. Even watching the case in the courtroom, the facts speak loud and clear. If only we can get the justice system to hand down a sentence that is worthy of this crime.
Wooo Hooo! Can't wait to see him registered on the offender list!
Karla Guzman

United States

#2 Feb 13, 2008
The jury got it so wrong. We will never stop supporting Kevin. We know Kevin Coe and everthing he stands for. He has spent most of his life helping others. I was at the entire trial along with many many other supporters. We are shocked and disappointed with the Jury's decision. The accuser will have to live with his lies for the rest of his life. Lord please forgive him for he does not know what he does. Kevin Coe will deal with this setback just fine. He coninues to have and will always have the unwaivering support of his family and countless friends. We love you Kevin.
unnamed

Stockton, CA

#3 Feb 13, 2008
I am a teacher and HATE to see our profession dragged in mud by these people who, if guilty, do not belong among real teachers, who would never take advantage of a student. It's sad to see these people in the news every other day. It really is.
Justin

Sacramento, CA

#5 Feb 13, 2008
This conviction is a travesty of justice. Mr. Coe's accusors lied on the stand, and were not able to recall major details related to the accusation - in fact Mr. Coe was only charged with this crime once his business dealings with the accusors family terminated. The timing of the accusation is very suspect.

The public should also know that one of the witnesses against him was given immunity for extortion in ecxhange for her testimony against Mr. Coe. Kevin Coe has had a postive impact on many young people as a basketball coach and has been wrongly convicted. Its a shame that the jurors could not see through all the lies.

My prayers are with Mr. Coe and his family. I also pray for the souls of those who lied about this matter.
Van Tran

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Feb 13, 2008
My name is Van Tran and I was a former basketball for Kevin Coe.
Ive known Kevin for about 5 years. Kevin has been more to me than just a basketball coach. He has been a mentor, a father figure, and frankly an idol to me. He has been there for me through thick and thin, and he has saved my life. Before Kevin, I was a hoodlum, going down a self destructive road.
I was there supporting Kevin throughout the whole case, and the Jury absolutely got it wrong. I am not saying this because I am bias, but because anyone who was watching the same trial as me could see the inconsistencies in this kid's stories. It was so apparent that he was lying, and it shows that stupid people still run rampant among today's society. The family is infamous for going out and trying to ruin people's lives.
I have taken multiple trips with Kevin, to Hawaii, to Florida, and other places, and not once has he EVER put me in an uncomfortable position that would make me feel that I would need to defend myself.
It is very peculiar that Kevin has worked with a Park and Recreation district for multiple years where he could have taken advantage of kids much younger and much more vulnerable, yet nothing has happened. It is also very peculiar that he has been coaching for 7 years, and his LAST year, some teenage boy makes up a fantastical story that no one could follow because of the obvious lies and inconsistencies.
I have had interaction with the kid; he played on my basketball team. He is not a good person, because he is a liar, a poser and a cheater. He lied multiple times about doing sexual acts with girls and has been caught with it. And any boy of that age would be able to resist to some extent. He said he just let Kevin do it, but he didnt want it to happen? And the places that these changes actually happened magically changed? There was just too much that was wrong with this, anyone with half a brain could see this was made up.
I am so disappointed with his peers, and disappointed with the DA who even took this case. She has a civic duty to the people and she failed. They all just convicted an amazing person. I feel horrible for Kevin's family, because the justice system today failed, and an amazing person's reputation is tarnished. Kevin has provided me with so much, that I will always be at his side through thick and thin, and I am proud to call him my brother.
Jennifer

Sacramento, CA

#8 Feb 13, 2008
How can a man who is 5'8" pin down a 16 year who is 6'3" and french kiss him against his will?

This is decision is worthless.
Justice System Fails

Sacramento, CA

#9 Feb 13, 2008
I've known Kevin Coe for my entire life and he is a very strong minded person that would never do anything to hurt anyone. He means good for every person he comes in contact with. As for the first comment where she said he used to work at a recreation center. Yes, nothing ever came out of there because nothing ever happened there or anywhere. She also said that the evidence spoke loud and clear. I was also in the court the entire trial and this person is full of crap because the boy that made these accusations had two different stories in the police reports and stumbled through his entire statment. He couldn't get any of his facts straight and his story always was changing. This family is lowerer than dirt and lied the entire trial. This scares me because I wonder how many times our justice system fails. I also saw a different side of our police system and that some cops are very dirty cops and bad police officers. Kevin is a great person and my prayers go out to him. He dosen't deserve this but through this event he will become stronger and succeed to levels unimaginable. People love him and will always stand by him.
Blake McCall

Sacramento, CA

#10 Feb 13, 2008
This conviction is a JOKE!!! I was there for the majority of the trial and i must not have been at the same trial because there was NO evidence that this man commited the crime. IT IS EXTREMELY SADDENING that there are people out there like the family that made up these horrible things over a business deal gone sour!!!!!!!!! I have known Kevin for the last 8 years and i know that Kevin would not ever think of doing such a thing to anyone! Kevin Coe was a wonderful coach and he was liked by his players and their families. Kevin has spent many nights and days at my house with my family and friends and has never given anyone reason to think he would ever do such a thing. I went into this trial trying to look at it like i was a juror. There were no facts to prove that kevin did anything wrong.
A person in my family is a judge and he knows that kevin would never commit such a crime..and so does everyone that knows kevin.

TO THE SH....N FAMILY- I have heard of horrible people like your family in the world that we live in today but i never thought i or my friends would be affected by your kind! You are horrible people and just because your worthless business plan with Kevin didn't work out you decided to get back at him the worst way possible! Karma does suck and what goes around will come around! To the parents of the family, its really a disgrace that you would ever put your children through something like this. You should be ASHAMED!

TO KEVIN'S FAMILY- It is really easy to see where Kevin gets his amazing qualities as a person from. You are wonderful people and I am glad I got the chance to get to know all of you. I truly think that everything happens for a reason, and without a doubt in the end Justice will be served. Best of luck to all of you. Hope to see you guys soon.

TO KEVIN- I want you to know that I will continue to pray for you, and in some way in the end this will all work out. EVERYONE that knows you knows that you would never do such a thing, and you will always have my support. You are a wonderful person, and in no way did you ever deserve this to happen. I will always be here for you.
Stephanie Cieloha

Sacramento, CA

#11 Feb 13, 2008
I know someone who is involved with this case and went and witnessed some of the trial. I work in a law office and know a little bit more about the law and the judicial system more than others who attended. I don't know either the plaintiff or the defendant but from listening and witnessing the trial I could not believe that it had even been brought to the courts. It blew me away. The entire trial was a joke, and a waste of time. There were no facts to support any of the accusations this kid had made. And without facts, there is no legit evidence to support anything that "supposedly" happened. Not only was it sad to see actually taken to court, but it is sad to know that an innocent man was convicted of a crime that he did not commit. A good person's reputation was ruined due to a child and family's greed. How horrible. My heart hurts for Kevin Coe. Four words. JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED.

Good Luck Kevin.
Jordan Abercrombie

Sacramento, CA

#12 Feb 13, 2008
I can't believe that a family would ever do something so horrible to such a great person. I am really sorry you have to go through all of this Kevin. Best of luck. Your in my prayers.
JACK SANCHEZ

Sacramento, CA

#13 Feb 13, 2008
By the way...KEVIN TOOK SEVERAL LIE DETECTOR TESTS(POLYGRAPHIC EXAMINATIONS) AND PASSED ALL OF THEM!!!! TOO BAD THE JURY WAS UNABLE TO HEAR THAT!!!!

TOO BAD HIS ACCUSER NEVER TOOK ONE!!!!!
Sac Citizen

Auburn, CA

#14 Feb 13, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
How can a man who is 5'8" pin down a 16 year who is 6'3" and french kiss him against his will?
This is decision is worthless.
An adult does not have to be physically stronger nor larger to pyschologically coerce a minor into something against their will. The coach was invited into the victim's family and treated as a member. Kevin acted as a mentor and a friend to the victim and then took full advantage of that trust and bond to gratify his sexual perversion.

The victim has so much courage to come forward. He had so much courage to take the stand and tell the truth of the graphic details. The victim had the guts to protect future victims from Kevin Coe. I commend the victim for doing the right and moral thing.

Unfortunately, as exhibited here, Kevin will always have his "groupies". A word of advice to those groupies ... just thank God you and your family did not have to live the victim's nightmare. Thank God Kevin Coe did not take a sexual interest in YOUR child.

The moral of the story: Be extremely suspicious of a grown man who pays too much time and attention to a child not his own!
unnamed

Sacramento, CA

#15 Feb 13, 2008
I understand how you and I stood by his side. We are his victims as well. We all think he is such a good man. The truth is if you had been at the whole entire trial and listened with an open mind you would realize he is not the man we think we knew. There was more than enough evidence to support the crime. But even more, do you still stand by this man that you have now learned about his manipulation? How do you excuse that? Are you still as proud to be his friend as before? There are many of us who will stay loyal to him regardless. Some of us who feel a need to belong. Some who are so thankful for all he has done for us. I should know... And boy does he have a way of making us feel important. He always tells us what we want to hear. He goes above and beyond. Yes, he will do anything for us. But why? Really. Who is Kevin Coe? Do we know anything about his life other than what he does for us? We are his life. We have to find out through a criminal trial that he is gay...? Think about it. What else do we not know? Today 12 people just let us in on one more fact about Kevin.
Matt Iaconis

Davis, CA

#16 Feb 13, 2008
My name is Matthew Iaconis and I am a former player for Kevin Coe over three seasons. To say Kevin has been a best friend to me over the past 10 years would not do justice to the impact he has had and continues to have to this day.
I was at the case nearly everyday listening to the facts and testimonies. While I will openly admit my bias towards Kevin Coe as a person, I knew very little about the case entering the courtroom, so therefore it is hard for me to say I was biased about the actual case.
What happened in the courtroom:
To say the People’s case was pitiful would give undue credit to the stammering District Attorney. But let’s start with the Detective and the investigation: To have the “victim” openly declare to the entire courtroom that the Detective got his account of what happened incorrect instills a GREAT sense of comfort about an investigation that proceeded over a year. A year of getting things wrong. Comforting. And there is the issue about the number twenty-six, but we will get to that later.
Giving the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office the benefit of the doubt that they actually did work investigating this case and didn’t just hear the word “molestation” and immediately start writing up the arrest warrant as much of our nation does these days, light was only shed on certain portions of the case. If a basketball coach was accused of sexual molestation of one of his players, would it not make sense to question any of this other players, past and present? Not one. Not one player was questioned by the Sacramento District Attorney’s office in regards to the whether or not anything has ever happened to them. Negligence? No, I think of it as a form of “selective hearing;” let’s not actually investigate the history of an accused child molester in regards to his past and present players where there is a good chance that if in fact he is a child molester, he would have done the same “supposed” acts with. But of course not; it would actually take a District Attorney’s office with a shred of intelligence to investigate the whole story and they would have found out a striking trend: One. One out of hundreds of players. For Kevin to be such a “manipulative” person as the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office tried to portray him as, one player out of hundreds doesn’t add up.
Then there is Kevin’s ex-girlfriend on the stand: I will avoid the many obvious and barefaced statements to make about her motives (money, not justice. Sorry no one bought it) or the illegal charges that she was granted immunity in exchange for her testimony (EXTORTION.) No, I won’t mention those things. But I will write this: How does it workout that when Kevin refuses to pay her money he doesn’t owe her in response to a threat that she will go to the police with evidence (that’s the extortion part) that she doesn’t physically have to corroborate the accusations, she just happens to find the physical evidence only to lose before she presents it to the police? Hmmm…
And then there is the “victim,” if you call him that. Actually, can you be a victim from your own family? Yeah, I think so. Moving on… For a story to change 26 times (yes, twenty-six) over the course on an investigation is enough said. I’m sorry, if I was sexually molested by someone, it is very difficult for me to believe that I would get the story wrong twenty-six times. But then again, that’s what it is: a “story”. The word on the street is fictional authors are allowed to change those kind of things around. I never knew the kid, nor do I now. I do not pass judgment on this child. It’s not his fault his parents are the way they are.
Matt Iaconis

Davis, CA

#17 Feb 13, 2008
(continuing...)
While on the subject of the “victim’s” family, let’s venture down the road to the Parent’s. Again, I will refrain from the obvious and barefaced statements of the mental state of each parent and their ability to put their kid through this trial. I am sorry Kevin was tired of doing the work while you reaped the benefits and when Kevin dissolved the partnership in the business, who decided to sell your soul to the devil and force your child to something so atrocious as this. I am sorry you had to resort to something so pathetic and inhumane as manipulating your child in this fashion. I am so sorry for your child; not for what Kevin didn’t do, but for what you did.
To those who wrote above me:
“about time”-“Whoo Hooo!”??? For someone who is so “supportive [of] the victim and his family,” to have the audacity to have a celebratory exultation such as “Whoo Hooo!” for a child who was reported molested, doesn’t show much empathy for the pain that Kevin (or should I say his parent’s)“supposedly” caused him and he will endure for the rest of his life. You are just another example of how this trial had nothing to do with sexual molestion; it was about business and it was a personal vengeance. Thank you. Thank you for being another example of our nation’s citizens’ sometimes pathetic morals.
“Whitey”- I really don’t think I have to write anything. Your foot is so far down your throat, I don’t have to waste my time.
“criminal”- See above.
“Sac Citizen”- You wrote:“The moral of the story: Be extremely suspicious of a grown man who pays too much time and attention to a child not his own!” I completely agree with you. I mean, I don’t think we should have coaches AT ALL anymore, since a coach IS a “grown man” who, if he is as dedicated as he should be,“pays too much time and attention to [children who are] not his own!” And as for “groupies”: interesting use of words. I know Kevin has friends that love him but I don’t think Kevin has a tour bus and if he does, I have never been on it. Let me know if you find out he does…
Kevin: I love you man. I will always be here for you.
Oh yeah, can someone let the District Attorney I said ‘I love you’ to my coach? For some reason she doesn’t think that’s normal or okay…
Matt Iaconis

Davis, CA

#18 Feb 13, 2008
My name is Matthew Iaconis and I am a former player for Kevin Coe over three seasons. To say Kevin has been a best friend to me over the past 10 years would not do justice to the impact he has had and continues to have to this day.

I was at the case nearly everyday listening to the facts and testimonies. While I will openly admit my bias towards Kevin Coe as a person, I knew very little about the case entering the courtroom, so therefore it is hard for me to say I was biased about the actual case.

To say the People’s case was pitiful would give undue credit to the stammering District Attorney. But let’s start with the Detective and the investigation: To have the “victim” openly declare to the entire courtroom that the Detective got his account of what happened incorrect instills a GREAT sense of comfort about an investigation that proceeded over a year. A year of getting things wrong. Comforting. And there is the issue about the number twenty-six, but we will get to that later.

Giving the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office the benefit of the doubt that they actually did work investigating this case and didn’t just hear the word “molestation” and immediately start writing up the arrest warrant as much of our nation does these days, light was only shed on certain portions of the case. If a basketball coach was accused of sexual molestation of one of his players, would it not make sense to question any of this other players, past and present? Not one. Not one player was questioned by the Sacramento District Attorney’s office in regards to the whether or not anything has ever happened to them. Negligence? No, I think of it as a form of “selective hearing;” let’s not actually investigate the history of an accused child molester in regards to his past and present players where there is a good chance that if in fact he is a child molester, he would have done the same “supposed” acts with. But of course not; it would actually take a District Attorney’s office with a shred of intelligence to investigate the whole story and they would have found out a striking trend: One. One out of hundreds of players. For Kevin to be such a “manipulative” person as the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office tried to portray him as, one player out of hundreds doesn’t add up.

Then there is Kevin’s ex-girlfriend on the stand: I will avoid the many obvious and barefaced statements to make about her motives (money, not justice. Sorry no one bought it) or the illegal charges that she was granted immunity in exchange for her testimony (EXTORTION.) No, I won’t mention those things. But I will write this: How does it workout that when Kevin refuses to pay her money he doesn’t owe her in response to a threat that she will go to the police with evidence (that’s the extortion part) that she doesn’t physically have to corroborate the accusations, she just happens to find the physical evidence only to lose before she presents it to the police? Hmmm…

And then there is the “victim,” if you call him that. Actually, can you be a victim from your own family? Yeah, I think so. Moving on… For a story to change 26 times (yes, twenty-six) over the course on an investigation is enough said. I’m sorry, if I was sexually molested by someone, it is very difficult for me to believe that I would get the story wrong twenty-six times. But then again, that’s what it is: a “story”. The word on the street is fictional authors are allowed to change those kind of things around. I never knew the kid, nor do I now. I do not pass judgment on this child. It’s not his fault his parents are the way they are.
M Iaconis

Davis, CA

#19 Feb 13, 2008
(continuing from above...)
While on the subject of the “victim’s” family, let’s venture down the road to the Parent’s. Again, I will refrain from the obvious and barefaced statements of the mental state of each parent and their ability to put their kid through this trial. I am sorry Kevin was tired of doing the work while you reaped the benefits and when Kevin dissolved the partnership in the business, who decided to sell your soul to the devil and force your child to something so atrocious as this. I am sorry you had to resort to something so pathetic and inhumane as manipulating your child in this fashion. I am so sorry for your child; not for what Kevin didn’t do, but for what you did.
“about time”-“Whoo Hooo!”??? For someone who is so “supportive [of] the victim and his family,” to have the audacity to have a celebratory exultation such as “Whoo Hooo!” for a child who was reported molested, doesn’t show much empathy for the pain that Kevin (or should I say his parent’s)“supposedly” caused him and he will endure for the rest of his life. You are just another example of how this trial had nothing to do with sexual molestion; it was about business and it was a personal vengeance. Thank you. Thank you for being another example of our nation’s citizens’ sometimes pathetic morals.
“Whitey”- I really don’t think I have to write anything. Your foot is so far down your throat, I don’t have to waste my time.
“criminal”- See above.
“Sac Citizen”- You wrote:“The moral of the story: Be extremely suspicious of a grown man who pays too much time and attention to a child not his own!” I completely agree with you. I mean, I don’t think we should have coaches AT ALL anymore, since a coach IS a “grown man” who, if he is as dedicated as he should be,“pays too much time and attention to [children who are] not his own!” And as for “groupies”: interesting use of words. I know Kevin has friends that love him but I don’t think Kevin has a tour bus and if he does, I have never been on it. Let me know if you find out he does…
Oh yeah, can someone let the District Attorney I said ‘I love you’ to my coach? For some reason she doesn’t think that’s normal or okay…
M Iaconis

Davis, CA

#20 Feb 13, 2008

Matt Iaconis

Davis, CA

#21 Feb 13, 2008

“criminal”- See above.

Melony

Sacramento, CA

#22 Feb 14, 2008
Its a shame that the lies of children continue to convict innocent people like Kevin Coe. We have come to the point where the mere allegation of abuse by a minor is taken at face value. Those who assert that children would never lie about such matters are historically ignorant. From the Salem Witch witch executions to the Duke Rape Case innocent people have been maligned and burned because of the falsehoods told by disturbed and vindictive people. Too often these false accusers have been children.

The real losers in cases like this are the kids. How many good and well intentioned coaches, teachers, and other menotrs will not reach out to young people in need out of fear of a false accusation? We will never know - but its safe to assume that kids that need help and caring will not get it because well meaning adults will be afraid to reach out to those in need out of fear they may be accused.

Kevin and his family are in my prayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sacramento Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black man assaults white man & beats to "bloody... 12 hr RiccardoFire 16
News Accused by CalFire, family files legal action 13 hr sologray 1
News Whata s the best way to end L.A.a s homeless cr... 17 hr RiccardoFire 17
News Allegedly armed Richmond man arrested after foo... Fri Dave Smith 1
rigs (Sep '15) Wed R Fire 7
Trump Will Get Mad If Not Elected Sep 28 Clinton Deplorable 3
Adidas Originals NMD Homme une semelle gomme e... Sep 28 sharomi 1

Sacramento Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance