Stockton Canal Part of FEMA Flood Zone

Full story: News10 Sacramento
Hundreds of homeowners who've enjoyed living along Stockton's Smith Canal are now going to pay for that lifestyle. Full Story
Raiderfan

Vacaville, CA

#1 Jan 18, 2008
Currently $300 and will go up to $1,000 to $2,000 when the new maps are made? They just raised everyone's property insurance who lives within a 3-mile radius of any levee. This whole levee crap is nothing but BS so the state can steal more money from us. They want people to live here, yet, they continue to raise the price for everything causing people to get out of town. We in California are paying for Katrina's flooding and will be for the rest of our lives and our kids' lives. Every disaster that happens elsewhere is another excuse for these a$$hole$ in office to rob us of our money. I Guarantee in the next 3 to 5 years they'll be telling us there's still not enough money to fix the levees and will come up with more ways to squeeze our wallets.
Mongo

Roseville, CA

#2 Jan 18, 2008
Raiderfan wrote:
Currently $300 and will go up to $1,000 to $2,000 when the new maps are made? They just raised everyone's property insurance who lives within a 3-mile radius of any levee. This whole levee crap is nothing but BS so the state can steal more money from us. They want people to live here, yet, they continue to raise the price for everything causing people to get out of town. We in California are paying for Katrina's flooding and will be for the rest of our lives and our kids' lives. Every disaster that happens elsewhere is another excuse for these a$$hole$ in office to rob us of our money. I Guarantee in the next 3 to 5 years they'll be telling us there's still not enough money to fix the levees and will come up with more ways to squeeze our wallets.
Where do you live? I bet you don't even live there. This measure had to be done on a business sense. I think you don't have any sense myself.
Sequiter

Palo Alto, CA

#3 Jan 18, 2008
I lived in Stockton for many years, and had friends who lived along Smith Canal. Yes, it "dead-ends" at Legion Park. That does not make it immune from rising water levels. When the delta levels rise, so do the canals. Funny thing about water...

The homeowners in the affected area should pay for the appropriate insurance rather than the rest of us footing the bill when disaster strikes.
Fed up

AOL

#4 Dec 2, 2008
"When the delta levels rise, so do the canals. Funny thing about water..." This means that if the water rises, it flows over the canals and onto adjacent homeowners. This would affect thousands of people living in Stockton. If Spanos and Grupe can get the City to allow them to build in flood zones, why can't the City fix the existing levee problem as opposed to receiving fees from Spanos and Grupe so they can add to the problem...
Flatlander

Yuma, AZ

#5 Jan 26, 2013
I live next to a canal in Arizona where it rains about three times per year. The canal carries water from the Colorado river and can be shut down at any time. I am also at least three miles from the river, which is a mere trickle of its former self. The only way there can be a flood in my area is if all the dams upstream fail. Yet, I pay over $1000 per year in flood insurance. It's all a bogus money pit for the federal government to rob some to pay for the stupidity of others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sacramento Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Corner Coffee Shop: The new NOTHING Thread (Jan '08) 4 hr Nero 6,698
White Guys: Would you date a black girl? Elaborate (Nov '07) 8 hr mikejonesjr 5,266
Victor Lopez Jr. sold METH (Nov '09) Nov 24 Homer is here 14
California man shot in head for resisting carja... Nov 24 Jeff Davis for Pr... 10
Jennifer Miller Nov 23 shane 2
O'Reilly Asks Why Deported Illegal Aliens Who R... Nov 23 Earl 13
Former sheriff john mcginnis is a hypocrite. (Apr '12) Nov 23 RiccardoFire 18
Sacramento Dating
Find my Match

Sacramento People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Sacramento News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Sacramento

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News