Saudi family wants to paralyze attacker | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals in the country whether they could damage a man's spinal cord as punishment after he was convicted of attacking another man with a cleaver and paralyzing him, the brother of the victim said yesterday.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Aug 20, 2010
newpurch

Frankford, DE

#1 Aug 20, 2010
THERE IS A SERIOUS LEGAL FLAW HERE. If the attacker is eventually paralysed, AND out lives the person he hurt, he would end up being paralysed for a longer duration than the person whom he hurt. Thus, eye for an eye law would not be implemented correctly as the two punishments would not be equal in nature. Time must be a consideration in judging the suffering of another. If the victim dies 10 years from now, and the attacker lives another 50 (while presumably medically paralysed) then how can that be just? I am not condoning the actions of the attacker, only bringing to light the flaw in this type of punishment.

Since: Feb 10

United States

#2 Aug 20, 2010
newpurch wrote:
THERE IS A SERIOUS LEGAL FLAW HERE. If the attacker is eventually paralysed, AND out lives the person he hurt, he would end up being paralysed for a longer duration than the person whom he hurt. Thus, eye for an eye law would not be implemented correctly as the two punishments would not be equal in nature. Time must be a consideration in judging the suffering of another. If the victim dies 10 years from now, and the attacker lives another 50 (while presumably medically paralysed) then how can that be just? I am not condoning the actions of the attacker, only bringing to light the flaw in this type of punishment.
well the other guy lost a foot also, i didn't see that they will cut off his foot too. sounds like a wash.
OKAY

Columbus, OH

#3 Aug 20, 2010
"Khaled al-Mutairi, 27, said the assailant was sentenced to 14 months in prison for the attack that paralyzed his younger brother, but he was released after seven months in an amnesty. He said the attacker then got a job as a schoolteacher .
“We are asking for our legal right under Islamic law,” the brother said.“There is no better word than God’s word — an eye for an eye.”
So based on this logic - 15 of 19, or 79%, of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi. There were 2,976 victims. To the Saudi government - Please have 2,349 Saudi citizens, related to the hijackers, sent to the USA for execution. We are asking for our legal right under Islamic law, "There is no better word than God’s word — an eye for an eye.”
NutCaseJustice

Columbus, OH

#4 Aug 20, 2010
Sounds a lot like where the US will be heading if the nutcase right has their way.
gokeefe

Galloway, OH

#5 Aug 20, 2010
Sick. Hopefully they won't find a doctor who will violate the Hippocratic oath..."first, do no harm."

I agree with the comment about the nutcase far-right wing spouting Leviticus. Apparently, they can't really read their Bibles and understand the themes of the New Testament.

United States

#6 Aug 20, 2010
OKAY wrote:
"Khaled al-Mutairi, 27, said the assailant was sentenced to 14 months in prison for the attack that paralyzed his younger brother, but he was released after seven months in an amnesty. He said the attacker then got a job as a schoolteacher .
“We are asking for our legal right under Islamic law,” the brother said.“There is no better word than God’s word — an eye for an eye.”
So based on this logic - 15 of 19, or 79%, of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi. There were 2,976 victims. To the Saudi government - Please have 2,349 Saudi citizens, related to the hijackers, sent to the USA for execution. We are asking for our legal right under Islamic law, "There is no better word than God’s word — an eye for an eye.”
god's word, eye for an eye, their law. i'll meet you at the airport to help receive them. oh, wait it's only ok for them to do that to us. it's only eye for an eye in their world! i agree with you, but you and i are supposed to be pc like our leaders. god help ignorant, soft a$$es

United States

#7 Aug 20, 2010
NutCaseJustice wrote:
Sounds a lot like where the US will be heading if the nutcase right has their way.
to make that statement proves you do not know history and you want more of my tax dollars to support you.
mrk

Canada

#8 Aug 20, 2010
this is nuts
it's better to execute him and be done with him than paralyze him and make him suffer
if we enjoy seeing criminals suffer then we might not be that innocent

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tabuk, Saudi Arabia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prince Sultan bin Salman Inspects Tabuk Regiona... (Mar '13) Jun '14 voltaire mendoza 2
Saudi Arabia finds 26 more cases of deadly MERS May '14 supersonic boom 1
train of lawrence (Sep '11) Nov '13 voltaire mendoza 4
Driver shoots at US expat in Sa... (May '13) May '13 feneky watson 1
FBSU partners with SAP to boost Saudi IT sector... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Sandeep 3
Saudi-Egypt causeway project on track (Sep '12) Sep '12 Muslim Gegeloye 1
Ancient Egyptians in Arabia (Nov '10) May '11 whatsthetruth1 12
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Tabuk, Saudi Arabia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••