Southern Africa pledges 4,000-strong force for eastern Congo

Dec 8, 2012 Full story: The Star Online

Southern African nations pledged on Saturday to provide 4,000 troops for a neutral force to be deployed in eastern Congo where rebels have waged an eight month-long rebellion, the South African Development Community said.

Full Story
Mutakati wa Batakati

South Africa

#1 Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the 4,000 troops from SADC. However, it clearly appears on the scene that the Congolese durable peace would only derive from political option. In 1998, the Congolese Rally for Democracy had all the necessary equipments and tools to overthrow Laurent Kabila by force, but they realised that DRCongo's stability needed negotiation as sustainable foundation; this led to the 1999 Accord de Lusaka that preconditioned the Inter-Congolese Dialogue for the rebirth of the State and the reestablishment of democracy in DRCongo. In 2009 CNDP realised the same truth and privileged negotiation than the war and this has been concluded in the 23 March 2009 Peace Agreement constituting the agenda of the current political negotiation in Kampala. When M23 took over the control of Goma, the UN Peacekeepers were there and no where it has been claimed that they failed to stop M23 by lack of equipment or due to their small number. The neutral force is therefore part of the solution, as already approved by the International Community, but the most important remedy would be to reconcile Congolese among themselves, as well as with their neigbhours, and the Kampala debate might be the introductive phase of such a solution once done with good will to acheive these.

kayinamura

Austin, TX

#2 Dec 9, 2012
mukati wa batakati, I deeply agree with you. However my always concerns are congolese people.
If DRC can't get together as one people, and hold their leaders accountable, you will see same problems, that causing rebellion from the east. It's not only M23, there are dozens of other armed groups, which need a robust kivu government to uproot these criminals. M23 might be a solution, but i don't see how this is going to happen, unless DRC has a disciplined mrmy with functionning institutions. DRC ststem is very corrupt, and it looks like a failed state. SADC can send millions in # of troups, but they don't bellong there, at the end they will return to their home country. Congo need to own its wn problems, and learn t get along with its neghbors. They don't have a perfect diplomatic relationship, at least they need to have life moving. let me tell you, i am from one of these countries, regular people in Great lakes region don't haveproblems. like rwandans and congolese don't have problems with eah other. many congolese live and work in rwanda, see kigali,.. thousands of our neighbors are stable living there. they ahve business and they marry and they live their lives the way they want, the same way rwandans should be treated in DRC, Unfortunately, our top political leaders are the ones who causes problems, and at the end, DRC don't how to handle rwanda-RDC relations, the always al for killing for speaking kinyarwanda congolese, and say this is rwanda. a Such mindset will always cause instability. If the case is not resolved, you will see M23 returning back with a different name, but with the same fighting cause.DRC army seems likedoesn'r even exist. kabla is using SADEC and UN-Africa hybrid forces to buy a time, while doing nothing. kabila is innefective leader i have ev seen, even his own body guards are foreigners from uganda and rwanda, then where are congolese?
Katanga Shaba

Hollywood, FL

#3 Dec 9, 2012
Zuma is a crook,he just wants to protect his mineral fields in eastern DRC .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Goma, Rwanda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chaotic closure of a North Kivu IDP camp Dec 19 Dan Maki 1
Congo's Blood Diamond Trade Takes Hit From Dodd... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Chuck blakeman 1
Congo-Kinshasa: Vital Kamerhe - Kabila's Public... (Feb '14) Feb '14 karabaye 1
'It's a new Congo, we won't bow down to the ene... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Brother John 1
DR Congo army in 'last phase' push against M23 ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Kathembo 1
Congo army makes inroads against... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Kathembo 1
Clashes between DRC rebels, army enter second day (Oct '13) Oct '13 Vrai Njo 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:27 pm PST