AT&T/GLAAD Controversy: Final Straw? ...

AT&T/GLAAD Controversy: Final Straw? Or Opportunity for Reform?

There are 21 comments on the EDGE story from Jul 5, 2011, titled AT&T/GLAAD Controversy: Final Straw? Or Opportunity for Reform?. In it, EDGE reports that:

In case you missed it, a major shake up went down at the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation in recent weeks, complete with mass resignations and damage control some are calling ham-handed at best.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CHAS

United States

#1 Jul 5, 2011
There are too many pro-gay money collectors. Maybe GLAAD will vanish and the other major groups can gain influence.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 5, 2011
This is an example of why I continue to support grass-roots groups, rather than national organizations. The larger an orgainzation is, the more likely that they will become a mirror of those they are supposed to be monitoring. Just like Congress and the President.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#3 Jul 5, 2011
For as much good as GLAAD has done, they often annoy me with oversensitivity. And straying from their mission to appease their donors and board members is pretty slimy. Especially when one of those board members has been working both sides of the table. Surely an organzation as sensitive to media appearances as they are should have some idea what their board members are up to and should avoid embarrassing themselves this way.
cheekiey

Miami Beach, FL

#4 Jul 5, 2011
Just go to the beach and stop with the nonsense
Life is to short.. Death is FOREVER
I'm off to the beach now.....
Johnny

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Jul 5, 2011
cheekiey wrote:
Just go to the beach and stop with the nonsense
Life is to short.. Death is FOREVER
I'm off to the beach now.....
Oh lucky you, and some of us have to work after a holiday hungover !

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#6 Jul 5, 2011
WELL... I thought an on-topic post might be refreshing.

In my line of work, I am well acquainted with the FCC, and with LGBT organizations large and small. I can't see any reason for GLAAD to be weighing-in on a corporate merger between AT&T and T-Mobile.

This nonsense and its aftermath has efffectively obliterated any credibility GLAAD posessed. And I do agree that when LGBT organizations become multi-million dollar beltway lobbying businesses, they tend to care more about perpetuating themselves than showing any actual leadership.

The key exceptions are the Southern Poverty Law Center (which has done much work in LGBT discrimination cases) and the Lambda Legal Defense Fund. These two organizations have long represented LGBT people in anti-discrimination cases, and have largely done a stellar job at it.

PFLAG is a national organization, but works at a much more grassroots level, often involved in local community initiatives and events.

HRC and GLAAD on the other hand, seem to have spent a lot more effort on fundraising and political pandering than on actually representing the diverse LGBT community. HRC had its own shake-up not long ago over apparent discrimination against trans people. And now this flap from GLAAD which has cracked the infrastructure to the core.

David Mixner notwithstanding, I've long said that our LGBT equality movement needs a nationally recognized leader --along the lines of our own Martin Luther King-- someone who represents us and speaks for all of inclusively, someone whom we can get behind and support because of their commitment, their integrity, and their charisma. So far, no such leader has emerged.

I'm interested to know who YOU think would make a good leader for our cause?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#7 Jul 5, 2011
ScottyMatic wrote:
I'm interested to know who YOU think would make a good leader for our cause?
Lady Gaga seems to be our defacto leader.

On a more serious note, I'm quite impressed with the leadership at SLDN and OutServe. GLAD is another outstanding organization. I'd love to see any of their leaders take on national leadership.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#8 Jul 5, 2011
ScottyMatic wrote:
WELL... I thought an on-topic post might be refreshing.
In my line of work, I am well acquainted with the FCC, and with LGBT organizations large and small. I can't see any reason for GLAAD to be weighing-in on a corporate merger between AT&T and T-Mobile.
This nonsense and its aftermath has efffectively obliterated any credibility GLAAD posessed. And I do agree that when LGBT organizations become multi-million dollar beltway lobbying businesses, they tend to care more about perpetuating themselves than showing any actual leadership.
The key exceptions are the Southern Poverty Law Center (which has done much work in LGBT discrimination cases) and the Lambda Legal Defense Fund. These two organizations have long represented LGBT people in anti-discrimination cases, and have largely done a stellar job at it.
PFLAG is a national organization, but works at a much more grassroots level, often involved in local community initiatives and events.
HRC and GLAAD on the other hand, seem to have spent a lot more effort on fundraising and political pandering than on actually representing the diverse LGBT community. HRC had its own shake-up not long ago over apparent discrimination against trans people. And now this flap from GLAAD which has cracked the infrastructure to the core.
David Mixner notwithstanding, I've long said that our LGBT equality movement needs a nationally recognized leader --along the lines of our own Martin Luther King-- someone who represents us and speaks for all of inclusively, someone whom we can get behind and support because of their commitment, their integrity, and their charisma. So far, no such leader has emerged.
I'm interested to know who YOU think would make a good leader for our cause?
If my opinion counts for anything.......there have been a couple of posters here on topix that I would support and stand up with........and here they are:
1)ScottyMatic

2)The Golem

3)nhjeff

4)jcofe

5)Eric aka gemlic(sp)

6)Old SwiftBoater

7)Conservative Democrat

Just to name a few........I have issues supporting the likes of HRC, Courage Campaign, Equality California just because they are more concerned with other issues and not staying on task!!!

Anyways......these folks have been fighting for our rights outside in the real world and I feel they are more qualified than I might be!!!

Thanks for your posts and being positive advocates for the Community!!!

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#9 Jul 5, 2011
I just as easily would not follow these 2 idiots:
1)Rosie O'Donnell

2)Perez Hilton

These to me are probably the worse folks to open their mouths and besides........our community still hasn't stopped hearing out the Hilton/Prejean thing!!!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10 Jul 5, 2011
Lol! Thanks, Rose, but I'm sure you've seen that I can hold my tongue only so long in the face of utter stupidity. That makes me quite ill-suited for politics.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#11 Jul 5, 2011
nhjeff wrote:
Lol! Thanks, Rose, but I'm sure you've seen that I can hold my tongue only so long in the face of utter stupidity. That makes me quite ill-suited for politics.
Well, maybe that's what is needed every now and again........I still would follow your lead any time if you change your mind!!!

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

Seminole, FL

#12 Jul 5, 2011
You missed Rick In Kansas

Just don't get in his way when he's really pissed off.
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
If my opinion counts for anything.......there have been a couple of posters here on topix that I would support and stand up with........and here they are:
1)ScottyMatic
2)The Golem
3)nhjeff
4)jcofe
5)Eric aka gemlic(sp)
6)Old SwiftBoater
7)Conservative Democrat
Just to name a few........I have issues supporting the likes of HRC, Courage Campaign, Equality California just because they are more concerned with other issues and not staying on task!!!
Anyways......these folks have been fighting for our rights outside in the real world and I feel they are more qualified than I might be!!!
Thanks for your posts and being positive advocates for the Community!!!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#13 Jul 5, 2011
Wonder how much stock in T-mobile this GLAAD guy owned...

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#14 Jul 5, 2011
TomInElPaso wrote:
You missed Rick In Kansas
Just don't get in his way when he's really pissed off.
<quoted text>
You're right......I did......sorry Rick, and yes.....I'd follow you as well!!!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#15 Jul 5, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
If my opinion counts for anything.......there have been a couple of posters here on topix that I would support and stand up with........and here they are:
1)ScottyMatic
2)The Golem
3)nhjeff
4)jcofe
5)Eric aka gemlic(sp)
6)Old SwiftBoater
7)Conservative Democrat
Just to name a few........I have issues supporting the likes of HRC, Courage Campaign, Equality California just because they are more concerned with other issues and not staying on task!!!
Anyways......these folks have been fighting for our rights outside in the real world and I feel they are more qualified than I might be!!!
Thanks for your posts and being positive advocates for the Community!!!
I am familiar with most on your list and I concur. This story shows very well that GLAAD has become another organization more interested in having political insiders than in representing the greater community. Sad for Glaad.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#16 Jul 5, 2011
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I am familiar with most on your list and I concur. This story shows very well that GLAAD has become another organization more interested in having political insiders than in representing the greater community. Sad for Glaad.
When it becomes more about the money than serving the rights of the GLBTQI Community.......that's when I'm all done with them........maybe YOU could lead us........I think you'd make a good leader as well:-)

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#17 Jul 5, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
When it becomes more about the money than serving the rights of the GLBTQI Community.......that's when I'm all done with them........maybe YOU could lead us........I think you'd make a good leader as well:-)
It would make for some great television.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#18 Jul 5, 2011
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>It would make for some great television.
Cool.......I'd love to see that........lol!!!

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Silver Spring, MD

#19 Jul 5, 2011
ScottyMatic wrote:
I can't see any reason for GLAAD to be weighing-in on a corporate merger between AT&T and T-Mobile.
I thought the former GLAAD person's unauthorized toe tapping about the merger had more to do with the subject of net neutrality than the merger per so, although the merger surely would affect the net neutrality debate.

“Queer love is here to stay.”

Since: May 07

Los Angeles

#20 Jul 6, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
If my opinion counts for anything.......there have been a couple of posters here on topix that I would support and stand up with........and here they are:
1)ScottyMatic
2)The Golem
3)nhjeff
4)jcofe
5)Eric aka gemlic(sp)
6)Old SwiftBoater
7)Conservative Democrat
Just to name a few........I have issues supporting the likes of HRC, Courage Campaign, Equality California just because they are more concerned with other issues and not staying on task!!!
Anyways......these folks have been fighting for our rights outside in the real world and I feel they are more qualified than I might be!!!
Thanks for your posts and being positive advocates for the Community!!!
Thanks Rose. Please include yourself in my list.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Award Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 15 things to do this weekend in Orange County Nov '16 mar 1
News Hillary Clinton and 9 other women with historic... Sep '16 Cordwainer Trout 2
News Think black people aren't voting for Trump? Gue... Aug '16 Woman against Hil... 7
News Blue Ribbon Blues Fest Saturday Aug '16 Ardi 1
News Milton resident part of Fringe Festival's A Gla... Jun '16 more Errors Coming 1
News Riverwalk Festival Saturday in Rockmart (Oct '15) Jun '16 Pet lover 2
News Ottawa Salon Wins a Blush-Worthy Amount of Awards (Jun '16) Jun '16 JayDee Power Asso... 1
More from around the web