Gas princess faces guilty verdict

Oct 11, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Financial Times

Yulia Tymoshenko, Ukraine's glamorous former prime minister, was on Tuesday jailed for seven years after being foundA guilty of exceeding her power when she arranged a controversial 2009 gas deal with Russia.

Comments
1 - 20 of 171 Comments Last updated Oct 23, 2011
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Loved everywhere

#1 Oct 11, 2011
Most of us are very pleased to read that justice, even in Ukrainka prevailed.
Pro Ukraine

Portsmouth, UK

#2 Oct 11, 2011
What does a dumb SLOwvak peasant know about justice? The only things that should concern you are feeding you cow and goat and other peasant village matters.

Loved everywhere

#4 Oct 11, 2011
Have you fed your cow, the one you bought at Ukra flea market for 10 hrivnas ?
I hope, she doesn´t snore much though.

SWG

Since: Feb 10

Houston, Texas

#5 Oct 11, 2011
Yanu screwed himself on this deal and the EU IS complaining even before the verdict came out. Read the article. All Yanu has done is put a bigger divide between Ukraine and the EU. I'm sure Putin is smiling right about now. Without any support in the EU Ukraine will have no choice but to turn to Russia. AND this still does NOTHING to the deal that was signed over the gas anyway. Was all a big waste of time. They still have to pay the price that they signed the deal on. Or it will be a cold winter in Ukraine.

Loved everywhere

#6 Oct 11, 2011
Whatever Yanko has done is irrelevant.
Ukrainka is not ready to join EU, too backward.
These folks belong to Customs Union, plowing the fields, harvesting annually.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#7 Oct 11, 2011
SWG wrote:
Yanu screwed himself on this deal and the EU IS complaining even before the verdict came out. Read the article. All Yanu has done is put a bigger divide between Ukraine and the EU. I'm sure Putin is smiling right about now. Without any support in the EU Ukraine will have no choice but to turn to Russia. AND this still does NOTHING to the deal that was signed over the gas anyway. Was all a big waste of time. They still have to pay the price that they signed the deal on. Or it will be a cold winter in Ukraine.
Why would EU want Ukraine after Greece. It would just be another mouth to feed. Why not just suggest that Ukraine joins the euro aswell. They are economically in better situation than those greeks who doctored documents. Although I suspect ukrainkos too have faked some economic indicators.

SWG

Houston, Texas

#8 Oct 11, 2011
Pesky army wrote:
Whatever Yanko has done is irrelevant.
Ukrainka is not ready to join EU, too backward.
These folks belong to Customs Union, plowing the fields, harvesting annually.
Maybe they do but it still does not change the fact that he screwed up. Do you think any company in their right mind would invest in a country with such a corrupt court system?? NOPE. What he has done has longer reaching effects than just the EU not being happy about it.

SWG

Houston, Texas

#10 Oct 11, 2011
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would EU want Ukraine after Greece. It would just be another mouth to feed. Why not just suggest that Ukraine joins the euro aswell. They are economically in better situation than those greeks who doctored documents. Although I suspect ukrainkos too have faked some economic indicators.
I didn't say they would want Ukraine in the union. They would like better trade with them I'm sure. That would be a good thing. Especially in food staples. After all this has gone down I wouldn't look for any new deals from the EU with Ukraine in the foreseeable future. As far as faked indicators. I have no doubt in it.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#11 Oct 11, 2011
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say they would want Ukraine in the union. They would like better trade with them I'm sure. That would be a good thing. Especially in food staples. After all this has gone down I wouldn't look for any new deals from the EU with Ukraine in the foreseeable future. As far as faked indicators. I have no doubt in it.
EU doesn't need Ukraine to feed itself. What other products ukrainkos have besides wheat and flour. Antonov jets? I am sure not even Ryanair uses those.

My guess is german carmakers are looking to use ukrainians as cheap labour. Ironic when you thing of it.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#12 Oct 11, 2011
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they do but it still does not change the fact that he screwed up. Do you think any company in their right mind would invest in a country with such a corrupt court system?? NOPE. What he has done has longer reaching effects than just the EU not being happy about it.
What is there to invest? Antonov jets? Ukrainkos produce nothing valuable to the big boys so I doubt companies like Shell or Xerox care about what kind of a pitchfork court system the peasants have.

SWG

Houston, Texas

#13 Oct 11, 2011
<quoted text>
EU doesn't need Ukraine to feed itself. What other products ukrainkos have besides wheat and flour. Antonov jets? I am sure not even Ryanair uses those.
My guess is german carmakers are looking to use ukrainians as cheap labour. Ironic when you thing of it.
Steel

Loved everywhere

#14 Oct 11, 2011
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps, Yanko likes to see Ukrainka as part of Customs Union ?
Both of us, do not know much about his thinking, do we ?
Dr Steelhammer

Edmonton, Canada

#15 Oct 11, 2011
Well, joke and riddicule Ukraine all you want, all you Ukraine haters, but Russia has just extended its ugly tentacles over a free Ukraine. It is a sad day for freedom and democracy. Poland, Slovakia Finland etc. are next. Ukraine was the last soviet block country still willing to stand up to Russian Imperialism, and 45 % voted for Tymoshenko, last election but it is over and all is all finished for a free Ukraine. Enjoy Russia's triumph, all you.... despicable and moronic Ukraine haters as you will now have a Russia - controlled Ukraine as a neighbour in Europe, once again.If you didn't like Ukrainian farmers, you will truly enjoy the Russian FSB ! Enjoy!
Dr Steelhammer

Edmonton, Canada

#16 Oct 11, 2011
All this plays into Putin’s hands. First, Russia has in recent years succeeded in reasserting its influence in Ukraine after the country turned towards the west in the 2004 Orange Revolution, in which Tymoshenko had a starring role. Increased tensions with the west play into the Kremlin’s hands. Yanukovich becomes more dependent on Russia – notably for cheap gas – and his business associates come under greater pressure to do deals with their Russian counterparts.

Next, Moscow also profits from any general rubbishing of independent institutions in the former Soviet Union. The lower the reputation of independent institutions in the FSU – in this case Ukraine’s courts – the easier it is for the Kremlin to argue that fully-fledged western democracy (with independent institutions) can’t flourish in the ex-Soviet space. The wider this view is disseminated, the easier it is for Russia’s current elite to maintain their authoritarian hold on power.

Finally, there’s no love lost between Putin and Tymoshenko. While the 2009 gas deal that is the subject of the court case saw the two leaders cooperating, the apparent good humour may have been superficial and tactical. Earlier disputes over gas supplies had left Putin fuming – and at one point threatening to arrest Tymoshenko if she ever set foot in Russia

Loved everywhere

#17 Oct 11, 2011
Amicuska,

why do you invent your moronic dribbles ?
Just because some kangaroo court sentenced an embezzler in your Ukrainka, we all are going to be gobbled by Russia ?
Wake up clown !

SWG

Houston, Texas

#18 Oct 11, 2011
<quoted text>
What is there to invest? Antonov jets? Ukrainkos produce nothing valuable to the big boys so I doubt companies like Shell or Xerox care about what kind of a pitchfork court system the peasants have.
Actually companies that want to build plants in a country DO care about the court system in a country. It can effect the way they do business there. If the whole system is corrupt and they know that they will have no protection from the courts they will be hesitant to set up there.

SWG

Houston, Texas

#19 Oct 11, 2011
Pesky army wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps, Yanko likes to see Ukrainka as part of Customs Union ?
Both of us, do not know much about his thinking, do we ?
Does he even know what he is thinking???...lol

Location hidden

#20 Oct 11, 2011
Back when all this was happening, I was sure I read an article saying that Yushchenko authorized Tymoshenko to negotiate that deal in the first place? Which is why he sent her to Russia instead of going there himself.

So I don't understand how she can be guilty of exceeding her authority.
Amirite

Carmel, IN

#21 Oct 11, 2011
An example of Yanu's short term thinking. Doesn't he realize if Yulia's jailed that he will surely fall under the same soviet archaic laws and he will go to jail also? What an idiot! If he hasn't noticed, the people don't like him and will be happy to speed his incarceration up.

SWG

Houston, Texas

#22 Oct 11, 2011
Cassandra_ wrote:
Back when all this was happening, I was sure I read an article saying that Yushchenko authorized Tymoshenko to negotiate that deal in the first place? Which is why he sent her to Russia instead of going there himself.
So I don't understand how she can be guilty of exceeding her authority.
Simply because Yanu doesn't want her around as competition over the next parliamentary elections next year. I think that idea may come back to bite him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Volgogradskaya Oblast', Russia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vladimir Putin's circle of fear Jul '14 Putinko 5
'The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the... Jul '14 Stefanya 1
Kremlin silent as pro-Russian rebels retreat in... Jul '14 Dimitri100 8
Justin Romanov IS Bringing the fight against Vl... Jun '14 paul 1
Next phase of WWI Jun '14 Pikhtor 1
Putin: Vote possible to get Stalingrad name back Jun '14 RUSSO-FASCIST CRI... 24
Ukraine Separatists' Pro-Putin RapsBy Oleg Shyn... Jun '14 Joseph Paskudnok 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Volgogradskaya Oblast', Russia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••