Russian WWII vet recalls the Battle o...

Russian WWII vet recalls the Battle of Stalingrad

There are 459 comments on the Boston.com story from Feb 1, 2013, titled Russian WWII vet recalls the Battle of Stalingrad. In it, Boston.com reports that:

The Soviet soldiers used their own bodies as shields, covering women and children escaping on ferry boats from a Nazi bombardment that killed 40,000 civilians in a single day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Boston.com.

“Hope for Best- Expect Worst”

Since: Jan 07

Somewhere in Colorado

#300 Feb 12, 2013
Millstadt69 USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Look the Russians were valiant fighters no doubt, but the USA with men and material were the deciding fact. Without the pack of Malta Russia would be a state of Germany.
NO Britain would have been a territory of Germany. The USA sent far more materials to Britian. In the first place it was difficult to get to Russia except through Murmansk, and the Germans were there along with the Finns to sink those ships.

YOU overestimate the amount of stuff sent. With 85 percent of the German's 300 military divisions in Russia, the piddly amount the Americans sent amounted to far less than 10 percent of the military effort,

You are buying into western propoganda. Russia developed and produced the T-34 the tank which won the war, and Katiusha rockets, and they produced most of the military hardware they used. And Russian hardwar didn't break down, if it did the men were able to fix the machinery right there in the field.

You are overlooking the fact that Russia had moved it factories to the Ural mountains, out of the reach of the Germans and was able to outproduce Germany in building tanks and other machinery, even though GErmany was in control of three fourths of European Russia and a huge part of its population. tens of millions of Russian men and women as well as people from Poland and other parts of Eastern Europe were turned into slave laborers to produce war materials etc to help the cowardly Germans. Even with lot sof old people and just children, Russian produced 1,0000 t-34's a month and replace their lost tanks, which the Germans could not do.

Wake up and realize that in America after WWII the kids were taught that America won the war and saved humanity and they didn't even mention the fact that Russia was an ally and had done 90 percent of the fighting dying and winning in the European theater against the NAZIS. So forget the garbage that America who didn't even set boots on the ground in Eastern Europe, who when they finallya rrive in Normandy, Ruissia was already knocking on Berlin's door.

America save Germany's ally, Italy, and liberated collaborating france and tiny Holland and Belgium.

One day you will learn the truth, even America will admit it but not until the WWII veterans are all dead.

“Hope for Best- Expect Worst”

Since: Jan 07

Somewhere in Colorado

#301 Feb 12, 2013
Dimitri100 wrote:
<quoted text>.
By all means we can disagree in a peaceful manner, however, I know I'm corect in as much that Kursk was one of the many struggles the Soviet army had to overcome after Stalingrad on it's way to Berlin.
I do not just think this, it's not an opinion, these are facts which I quote from the epxperts.
I'm willing to copy directly from them to show you, if you so wish.
Romanov.
Think Dimitri: after Stalingrad, Germany could still mount an offensive in Kursk/Orel. After their armor was destroyed all they could do is defend themselves as they retreated. They didn't have enough materials to do anything more than defend themselves.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#302 Feb 12, 2013
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
Think Dimitri: after Stalingrad, Germany could still mount an offensive in Kursk/Orel. After their armor was destroyed all they could do is defend themselves as they retreated. They didn't have enough materials to do anything more than defend themselves.

Now you are arguing with the experts, you are arguing with me.

Location hidden

#303 Feb 12, 2013
you are not

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#304 Feb 12, 2013
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
Well outside of piddling in the Pacific for four years, America did stay out of WWII. They didn't show up until Russia had taken back Eastern Europe, and had stopped the Nazi Genocide fest.
Yet Kids In american schools are told that America saved humanity. speaking of propoganda. What a crock of .....,.,,.And what Gall.
As I said it was not our War, we should have stayed out.
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

#305 Feb 13, 2013
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
You are overlooking the fact that Russia had moved it factories to the Ural mountains, out of the reach of the Germans and was able to outproduce Germany in building tanks and other machinery, even though GErmany was in control of three fourths of European Russia and a huge part of its population.
Not even half of european Russia, not even counting Ukraine and other SSRs.

TheRealMagyar

Since: Sep 12

In your mind.

#306 Feb 13, 2013
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
BECAUSE:
1. I DECIDE WHAT I WILL OR WILL NOT DO OR GO OR NOT GO WHEREVER i CHOOSE. yOU DO NOT CHOOSE FOR ME.
2. I DON'T EAT BURGERS. tHEY ARE FULL OF FAT AND DESTROY HEALTH.,
3. I HATE FAST FOOD.
4. You are very immature, making such a predictable and retarded statement. It is right up the alley with your other idiotic statements, such as whining about a synagogue in BudaPest and applauding the Germans and Austrians and their entourage for invading other coutnries and killing innocent and unarmed people, like the Raving lunatics and cowards they were.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
1) The majority of people don't know what is good for them, that is why you need an nationalist Authoritarian goverment, because they know whats best, and not you demokratic morons.

2) Then you probably eat some other crap.

3) All those caps locks make it look like you were having an orgasm while writing to me, don't worry it is not your fault I tend to have such effect on women.

4)
Whats so bad about not wanting a Synagogue in Budapest, or anywhere else in the country?

And I did not applaud Germans for killing innocent Europeans, that I feel sorry for, but I applaud them for killing NKVD pigs, and massacring Yank pigs at D-Day.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#307 Feb 13, 2013
tarmo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even half of european Russia, not even counting Ukraine and other SSRs.
Important parts though, excluding Moscow.
Germania est superior

Saint Petersburg, Russia

#308 Feb 13, 2013
Gloria Germanica wrote:
<quoted text>
I own a brand new townhouse in Berlin, an apartment in the Hafencity, drive on of our brilliant cars,
all you own is your tail that you try to catch, blondi...but you will not last long under sharia, anyways...

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#309 Feb 13, 2013
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I have a very good understanding of history Skippy but thanks for proving my point for me. The USSR lost 1.15 million men TOTAL idiot. That number includes wounded and sick not just dead. Try reading a book from time to time. The Germans lost 850,000 total not just dead. You consider this a great victory? Losing more men and equipment than your enemy over a rubble pile? Good thing you're not in charge of a military outfit. They'd be wiped out in a week. As for prisoners they took 107,000 at Stalingrad. Of that number only 6000 ever returned to Germany. Proud of that are you? As far as Okinawa, wrong again. The US lost 62,000 TOTAL!!! Of that number 12,500 were killed where as 95,000 Japanese were killed. If you are going to make up numbers at least use credible ones.
I don`t know where did you take your numbers from and am not going to argue them. This is insignificant. Really insignificant.

Yea,while Yanks enjoyed the recovering fron great depression Russians were dying. Millions of Russian the most of which were civilian people were dying.

Like Truman told - the more those Russian guys and German guys will kill each other the better.

Yea, idiotic Germans went berserk like around Russia planning to kill 90 % of the population acordingly their pan OST.
Yea, they killed just 19 mln. ofcivilians and 9 mln. of military men. You can be proud - your German pals had stoped communism!

WTF are you talking to me about Stalinndrad?
The brother of my granddad died in Stalingrad when he was trying carry his wounded comrade from the battlefield!

You know nothing about the battle of Stalingrad!
All of your battles with Germans or Japaneese suck in comparison with Stalingrad battle!

Like Soviet troops had destroyed a million strong Japaneese army just for 2 weeks in China!

Okinawa really sucks in comparison with this.
Soviet troops had liberrated ALL Korea, ALL northern China.

WWhat did Americans?
Yea, captured some islands in Pacific ocean and nuked Japan.
Like this is something to be proud of - to nuke peacefull cities.

Like you are pround of destroying Yugoslavia!
Yea, Serbs had less than 100 of old outdated planes when you had 1000 planes aginst Yugoslavia!

Yea, you can be that fnkg proud of killing Serbs of trading their organs to European and Israely clinics.... yea, be proud of this fnkg American animal!
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#310 Feb 13, 2013
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don`t know where did you take your numbers from and am not going to argue them. This is insignificant. Really insignificant.
Yea,while Yanks enjoyed the recovering fron great depression Russians were dying. Millions of Russian the most of which were civilian people were dying.
Like Truman told - the more those Russian guys and German guys will kill each other the better.
Yea, idiotic Germans went berserk like around Russia planning to kill 90 % of the population acordingly their pan OST.
Yea, they killed just 19 mln. ofcivilians and 9 mln. of military men. You can be proud - your German pals had stoped communism!
The brother of my granddad died in Stalingrad when he was trying carry his wounded comrade from the battlefield!
All of your battles with Germans or Japaneese suck in comparison with Stalingrad battle!
Like Soviet troops had destroyed a million strong Japaneese army just for 2 weeks in China!
WWhat did Americans?
Yea, Serbs had less than 100 of old outdated planes when you had 1000 planes aginst Yugoslavia!
Yea, you can be that fnkg proud of killing Serbs of trading their organs to European and Israely clinics.... yea, be proud of this fnkg American animal!
Yugoslavs lost to the god damn ITALIANS, pastas of all people. Your god Stalin didn't make excuses so neither will you kholzhoznik.

Location hidden

#311 Feb 13, 2013
Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>

You could not be more wrong SWG.

You are also wrong Stefanya.

I started to read the following on Wikipedia and I immeadiately thought of you.
Perhaps now you can stop belittling the great sacrifice the Russian people and Soviet army made at Stalingrad, on achieving the greatest victory in human history.

Battle of Stalingrad

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Battle of Stalingrad was a major and decisive battle of World War II in which Nazi Germany and its allies fought the Soviet Union for control of the city of Stalingrad (now Volgograd) in the southwestern Soviet Union. The battle took place between August 23, 1942 and February 2, 1943[6][7][8][9] and was marked by constant close-quarters combat and lack of regard for military and civilian casualties. It is among the bloodiest battles in the history of warfare, with the higher estimates of combined casualties amounting to nearly two million. The heavy losses inflicted on the German army made it a significant turning point in the whole war.[10] After the Battle of Stalingrad, German forces never recovered their earlier strength, and attained no further strategic victories in the East.[11]

TheRealMagyar

Since: Sep 12

In your mind.

#312 Feb 13, 2013
Yes Dimimoron10 , we all know that you got your degree in Bullshit from Wikipedia.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#313 Feb 13, 2013
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
Yugoslavs lost to the god damn ITALIANS, pastas of all people. Your god Stalin didn't make excuses so neither will you kholzhoznik.
I didn`t even understand what you meant. lol.

Location hidden

#314 Feb 13, 2013
TheRealMagyar wrote:
Yes Dimimoron10 , we all know that you got your degree in Bullshit from Wikipedia.

Realtrash talking bollocks as always,

what an idiot hungarian nazi peasant. Hehehehe.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#315 Feb 13, 2013
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn`t even understand what you meant. lol.
You drunk than. Let me put it this way. Serbs surrendered faster than Kiev, Minsk and Smolensk combined. Was that better kholzhoznik.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#316 Feb 13, 2013
You could always as the Magyar though. Hungary occupied North Serbia within two days. Pathetic!

SWG

Since: Feb 10

Houston, Texas

#317 Feb 13, 2013
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
WWhat did Americans?
Because you had relatives die there does not mean you know anything about it as what you post obviously shows.

Nuking peaceful cities in Japan?? What a joke! There were no "Peaceful" cities in Japan when they were at war with the US. They were all contributing to Japan's war effort, so they were all a target. BTW, nuking Japan saved lives on BOTH sides nitwit.

Yugoslavia?? What does that have to do with the topic at hand during WWII??? You either need to have another drink or call it a night and go pass out.

Aside from all this, if you are such a hardcore Soviet what are you doing living in Austria amongst the enemy of "your people" who killed "your relatives"? A bit hypocritical of you, isn't it?
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#318 Feb 13, 2013
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you had relatives die there does not mean you know anything about it as what you post obviously shows.
Nuking peaceful cities in Japan?? What a joke! There were no "Peaceful" cities in Japan when they were at war with the US. They were all contributing to Japan's war effort, so they were all a target. BTW, nuking Japan saved lives on BOTH sides nitwit.
Yugoslavia?? What does that have to do with the topic at hand during WWII??? You either need to have another drink or call it a night and go pass out.
Aside from all this, if you are such a hardcore Soviet what are you doing living in Austria amongst the enemy of "your people" who killed "your relatives"? A bit hypocritical of you, isn't it?
Civilians were not peaceful, eh or way they just expandable "jap goooks".

SWG

Since: Feb 10

Houston, Texas

#319 Feb 13, 2013
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
Civilians were not peaceful, eh or way they just expandable "jap goooks".
To be blunt, if they were adding to Japan's war effort to kill Americans or any other ally they were expendable. THEY started the war against the US, not the other way around.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Volgogradskaya Oblast', Russia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The View that Putin's Advisor Has on Obama's Uk... (Nov '14) 3 hr Add 6,006
News Defender of Putin, Detained in Russia: American... Feb '16 just a guy i knew 1
News Patriarch: If It Comes To Choosing, Russia Come... Jan '16 Tanya Yorky 1
News Experts: Kremlin Uses Racism, Crude Anti-Americ... Jan '16 NAZI RUSSIA 1
News Explosion devastates Russian apartment building... (Dec '15) Dec '15 just a guy i knew 1
News Russian Politician: Syria Belongs to Russia Bec... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Pro Ukraine 3
News The Romanovs Will Not Reign Again; Russia Alrea... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Cassandra_ 1
More from around the web