Coming Out in Russia

Oct 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Transitions Online

Gay activists are finding their own way of dealing with a hostile and "buttoned-up" society.

Comments
1 - 20 of 155 Comments Last updated Oct 9, 2013
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
danny

Ufa, Russia

#1 Oct 25, 2011
I wish somebody with enough organizing resources would invite lots of people from all across Russia and overseas to one big protest Pride in St. Petersburg, the city of revolutions. It's about time we told let the heterosexual majority we will no longer tolerate discrimination, want our rights and we want them now.

Since: May 08

Kiev-Moscow-St.Peterburg

#2 Oct 25, 2011
danny wrote:
I wish somebody with enough organizing resources would invite lots of people from all across Russia and overseas to one big protest Pride in St. Petersburg, the city of revolutions. It's about time we told let the heterosexual majority we will no longer tolerate discrimination, want our rights and we want them now.
pidar?
danny

Ufa, Russia

#3 Oct 25, 2011
M_A_X_I_M wrote:
<quoted text>
pidar?
I identify as gay. Leave that kind of language for the next gathering of your local Nazi-gopnik association.

“What goes around comes around”

Since: Feb 11

Rostov-on-Don, Russia

#4 Oct 25, 2011
danny wrote:
Why would you want to tell someone that you're sick? Its only your problem. Noone else is interested. Do you understand that we dont want our children to see you? Because we dont want them to become something like you? Can you spare us from seeing you? Do what you want to do at your very home, but pls refuse from this idea.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5 Oct 25, 2011
danny wrote:
You are very brave Russian, danny!
danny

Ufa, Russia

#6 Oct 25, 2011
Dmitriy the Grey wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you want to tell someone that you're sick? Its only your problem. Noone else is interested. Do you understand that we dont want our children to see you? Because we dont want them to become something like you? Can you spare us from seeing you? Do what you want to do at your very home, but pls refuse from this idea.
When you say 'we', who exactly do you mean? Because you should only speak for the homophobic dirtbags such as yourself, not all of society. And what if I don't want my children to see or become something like you? Much as I regret it, it doesn't nullify your human rights. Neither does it give me any right to call your fixation on the vagina a sickness, however gross I may personally find it.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7 Oct 25, 2011
Dmitriy the Grey wrote:
<quoted text>
You still believe in your dictatorship also known as Russian Orthodox Church?
hmmmm

Saint Petersburg, Russia

#8 Oct 25, 2011
danny wrote:
STA, here above a new friend for you, hahahahahaha!
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#9 Oct 25, 2011
Small Town America UGX NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very brave Russian, danny!
Only russian or a german would kill somebody because of that persons sexual orientation. Thank God West is not that backward. But hey if that is a reason to hurt someone than what is there to stop from going further. Like Hegel said humans never learn. This goes twice for russians and germans.
abc

United States

#10 Oct 25, 2011
Still waiting for Putin to come out.
danny

Ufa, Russia

#11 Oct 25, 2011
Small Town America UGX NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You still believe in your dictatorship also known as Russian Orthodox Church?
Funny thing is one of the few things the Russian Orthodox Church has any public support on anymore is its vile homophobic rhetoric. Russians at large couldn't care less about basic Christian moral values, but the Church gets kudos for propagating xenophobia.

“Ethically confused ”

Since: Feb 10

Culturally aware

#16 Oct 25, 2011
When I was back home in Ukraine there were some attempts by the international gay community to have a parade in Moscow and then Kiev. The local people voted to not allow this to happen and the parade permit was not issued in either Kiev or Moscow and that is when the drama started, the Moscow parade was attempted and was met by law enforcement with fire hoses and mace {some were even roughed up a bit and put in jail} this caused a bit of mixed feelings for me as I never really want to see anyone roughed up unnecessarily {or necessarily for that matter} by the local militia. All this caused me to think a bit on all of this… The majority of the people of Ukraine and Russia do not want this type of behavior passed off as normal so they let their feelings be known and voted against it. They said {pretty much in one loud voice} that what you do behind the privacy of your own door is your business but don’t force your life style on us,,, Democracy at its best,,, you would think, this was however played up in Western news as Rights being treaded upon and the abuse of power by Putin’s Russia. But let us not forget, what about the will of the majority of the people? Don’t they have a say any more in the goings on in their community? Is it right for a small group of people to force their life style on a larger group of people just because it makes them feel better about them self’s? Homosexuality is not normal behavior {No getting around that} but neither is nude beach ball,,, People being people will always try to justify them self’s and their actions no matter what the rest of us think or believe. We then get into the whole I’m born Gay thing,,, the gay gene and the list goes on and on… If a fellow sees a attractive young woman he is aroused,,, But when he finds out that she is only 16 years old he does not pursue it. Why you ask???,,, because its considered wrong in the eyes of society because she is a child and is not yet a consenting adult . There will be many who will say that this type of action is healthy and normal but the majority of us know this to be wrong both socially and in most spiritually and do not condone it at all. So I will ask,, what is the difference? I do not want to walk down a street and explain to my children why two grown men {Or two grown women for that matter} are passionately kissing after raising them to believe that this kind of behavior is wrong and unacceptable {Jeeze!!! it is hard enough being a kid or a parent now a days for that matter with all of this going on around you today}. Every country is different with different values and all of this should be respected. I look forward to your posts,,,
AbeUG

Putnam Valley, NY

#17 Oct 25, 2011
Sticking your neck out wrote:
When I was back home in Ukraine there were some attempts by the international gay community to have a parade in Moscow and then Kiev. The local people voted to not allow this to happen and the parade permit was not issued in either Kiev or Moscow and that is when the drama started, the Moscow parade was attempted and was met by law enforcement with fire hoses and mace {some were even roughed up a bit and put in jail} this caused a bit of mixed feelings for me as I never really want to see anyone roughed up unnecessarily {or necessarily for that matter} by the local militia. All this caused me to think a bit on all of this… The majority of the people of Ukraine and Russia do not want this type of behavior passed off as normal so they let their feelings be known and voted against it. They said {pretty much in one loud voice} that what you do behind the privacy of your own door is your business but don’t force your life style on us,,, Democracy at its best,,, you would think, this was however played up in Western news as Rights being treaded upon and the abuse of power by Putin’s Russia. But let us not forget, what about the will of the majority of the people? Don’t they have a say any more in the goings on in their community? Is it right for a small group of people to force their life style on a larger group of people just because it makes them feel better about them self’s? Homosexuality is not normal behavior {No getting around that} but neither is nude beach ball,,, People being people will always try to justify them self’s and their actions no matter what the rest of us think or believe. We then get into the whole I’m born Gay thing,,, the gay gene and the list goes on and on… If a fellow sees a attractive young woman he is aroused,,, But when he finds out that she is only 16 years old he does not pursue it. Why you ask???,,, because its considered wrong in the eyes of society because she is a child and is not yet a consenting adult . There will be many who will say that this type of action is healthy and normal but the majority of us know this to be wrong both socially and in most spiritually and do not condone it at all. So I will ask,, what is the difference? I do not want to walk down a street and explain to my children why two grown men {Or two grown women for that matter} are passionately kissing after raising them to believe that this kind of behavior is wrong and unacceptable {Jeeze!!! it is hard enough being a kid or a parent now a days for that matter with all of this going on around you today}. Every country is different with different values and all of this should be respected. I look forward to your posts,,,
Sticks I agree with you.

Like you, I believe these people have a right to do whatever they want, but it shouldn't be pushed down other people's throats through the media or through politicians, etc.

I kind of said the same thing here.

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/poland/T3KUB...
AbeUG

Putnam Valley, NY

#18 Oct 25, 2011
Sticking your neck out wrote:
It seems the leftists aren't happy with just pushing the gay thing all over the place. Now they are pushing this transgender thing all over the place.

Like I say, I have nothing against these people, but like you say....how do you explain this behavior to your kids and what not?

Also Europeans have dying populations worldwide from the US to Spain to Germany to Poland to Russia. So why in the world should these activities be glorified by media and left-wingers in European nations??
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

#19 Oct 25, 2011
AbeUG wrote:
<quoted text>
Sticks I agree with you.
Like you, I believe these people have a right to do whatever they want, but it shouldn't be pushed down other people's throats through the media or through politicians, etc.
I kind of said the same thing here.
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/poland/T3KUB...
But we can all read between the lines and know how much you truly love to haunt those gay rights parades... and hawking kielbasa.
AbeUG

Putnam Valley, NY

#20 Oct 25, 2011
South New Jersey Speaks

Absecon, NJ

#21 Oct 25, 2011
Now that Assandra and uthera have had all my poosts removed, STA blocked, and taken over my nick, lets try a different approach. And sse if I can post this.
South New Jersey Speaks

Absecon, NJ

#22 Oct 25, 2011
danny wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing is one of the few things the Russian Orthodox Church has any public support on anymore is its vile homophobic rhetoric. Russians at large couldn't care less about basic Christian moral values, but the Church gets kudos for propagating xenophobia.
This is STA.. Uther pendragon and Assandra have taken over my nick and have me blocked. The Russian orthodox church is just an annex of the Kremlin. Do not know if this post will also be blocked.
AbeUG

Putnam Valley, NY

#23 Oct 25, 2011
South New Jersey Speaks wrote:
Now that Assandra and uthera have had all my poosts removed, STA blocked, and taken over my nick, lets try a different approach. And sse if I can post this.
We read you loud and clear.

Its a pleasure to have the opinion of all of South New Jersey.

;)
AbeUG

Putnam Valley, NY

#24 Oct 25, 2011
South New Jersey Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
This is STA.. Uther pendragon and Assandra have taken over my nick and have me blocked. The Russian orthodox church is just an annex of the Kremlin. Do not know if this post will also be blocked.
We got it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moscow, Russia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Russia's actions amount to 'invasion,' Canadian... 4 hr Former Marine 7
Protesters plant Ukraine flag on Moscow skyscraper 10 hr PUTIN a NAZI PIG 9
Putin: We deserve to meet in Crimea Thu zoo keeper 68
NATO plans more bases, equipment in E. Europe t... Aug 27 tarmo 4
The making of Vladimir Putin Aug 20 Shiro Hima 3
Russian Rocker Called a 'Traitor' For Performin... Aug 19 PUTIN a NAZI PIG 8
PM: Russians understand our messages Aug 18 Bard the Albanian 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••