Police Investigate Shooting Death of University Head

There are 2 comments on the Sep 11, 2012, St.Petersburg Times story titled Police Investigate Shooting Death of University Head. In it, St.Petersburg Times reports that:

A criminal investigation has been opened into the murder of Alexander Viktorov, rector of St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St.Petersburg Times.

PussyRiot

United States

#1 Sep 11, 2012
A criminal investigation has been opened into the murder of Alexander Viktorov, rector of St. Petersburg State Service and Economics University (SPbGUSE).

Viktorov, 61, was shot dead near his house in the town of Vsevolozhsk outside St. Petersburg at about 8 p.m. last Wednesday. His wife Yelena Viktorova, 60, who worked at the same university, was wounded in the leg.

The attack happened soon after the couple got out of Viktorovís company car, which was being driven by a chauffeur. When the driver looked in the rear view mirror of the car after driving a short distance away, he saw the Viktorovs lying on the ground and an unidentified man running away from them. The driver drove back and went to get help, but Viktorov was already dead, while his wife was calling for help.

The assailant shot Viktorov three times.

Local news website Fontanka.ru reported that the only serious problem that Viktorovís friends, colleagues and local journalists could recall with regard to him was a conflict with Viktorovís predecessor Vladimir Solovyov three years ago. Viktorov publicly blamed Solovyov for the disappearance of nearly a billion rubles ($32 million) from the universityís budget.

Numerous inspections into the missing funds were stopped when Solovyov and his son, who also worked at the university, resigned from their posts, Fontanka reported.

The university is reportedly one of the most popular higher education establishments in St. Petersburg, with 2.6 candidates for every fee-paying place. The cost of studying at the university ranges from 83,000 to 130,000 rubles ($2,600 to $4,100) a year, Fontanka reported.
Small Town America UGX

Atlantic City, NJ

#2 Sep 11, 2012
Oh! No !! That is the university where I received my doctorate of doctorates degree. The only such degree in the world. I paid good rubles for that degree. Of course, it was a "Donation" not a fee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leningradskaya Oblast', Russia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Person, who had never been to Russia, was deported Mar '15 yep 1
News Russia: gay man murdered by Russian youths Mar '15 Belle Sexton 2
News Estonia shows off NATO ties at celebrations on ... Feb '15 RUSSKI GO HOME 1
News Russian-made Lada is ridiculed by Finns these days (May '12) Jan '15 LADA CLOWN CAR 63
News Orthodox Faithful, Russian Leaders Celebrate Ch... Jan '15 Balsa Jovovic 1
News Russia's economy could collapse in months, says... Jan '15 XMAS in NAZI RUSSIA 12
News In Russia, early African American migrants foun... Dec '14 UruEuWauWau 7
More from around the web