Moldovans suspicious of Romania's intentions

Dec 8, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MSN Money

“Romania doesn't recognise our national identity. They don't recognise a Moldovan ethnicity or Moldovan language. For them, there is no Moldovan history”

White-haired, ruddy-faced, the monotonous fluency of his speech betraying his earlier career as a Soviet Communist party apparatchik, Vladimir Voronin has the glint of political battle in his eyes. via MSN Money

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
the dude

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

this ''voronin'' guy is just a frontman for the russians,he s not even romanian ...but talking about our history ,i don t know how he got the job at all.hey voronin if you read this,once you go Moldova is comming back to mommy.
Romanian abroad

Christchurch, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2007

There's a pretty complex situation in Moldova as they're exactly on the faultline between the East and the West so tensions are quite high.

Voronin complains about the Romanians not recognising Moldavian history... we're taught Romanian history, and Moldavian history has been an important part of that. The same people, the same language, and historically a common land, with some newer borders that were a bit artificial. To some, very artificial, but that's hardly the point.

I believe Voronin is trying to rush things in order to create another obstacle in front of a possible union, in the form of a treaty recognising artificial differentiations between Romanians and Moldavians. He would then turn this against the unionists in Moldavia, saying something like "they don't want it, even they say we're different". Another possibility would be that he is simply trying to create an artificial conflict that would activate Romanian nationalism in Romania.

The Romanians I believe will sign if forced. After all, these are the current borders, and regardless of the past borders, I don't think that Romania would ever officially claim Moldavian or Ukrainian territory. However, if Moldavia would decide by referendum that it wants to join Romania, I believe most Romanians would approve this, it would be seen as a natural step.

I am highly amused by his irritation at the citizenship issue. Of course they can easily get Romanian citizenship, why wouldn't they. They speak the language, they know the history, they respect Romania and so on. Voronin should ask Moldavians to ammend their constitution to prevent Moldavian citizens from having multiple citizenship :)
NuntaMD

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

If you like to isten music from Moldova, welcom to www.nuntamd.com to listen our on-line radio
Ilascu

Moldova

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

the dude wrote:
this ''voronin'' guy is just a frontman for the russians,he s not even romanian ...but talking about our history ,i don t know how he got the job at all.hey voronin if you read this,once you go Moldova is comming back to mommy.
Actually he is a romanian. At least his grandfather was deported by soviets in Siberia. Later escaped from prison, came back and became an active member of anticommunist and pro-Romanian movement. He died in Romania. One of Voronin's aunts is living in Romania until now. In one of her interviews she said her nephew is an idiot.
Romanian abroad

Christchurch, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Well, I for one believe whe knows better, after all she's family, right?

Ilascu, what is his motivation? What do Moldavian newspapers say?
Ilascu

Moldova

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Romanian abroad wrote:
Well, I for one believe whe knows better, after all she's family, right?
Ilascu, what is his motivation? What do Moldavian newspapers say?
What motivations can have an old schizophrenic and alcoholic? People say Voronin suffered a heart attack during protests against his intentions to replace in schools
'History of Romanians' with so called Moldavian history and impose Russian language. Now he is treading on the same rake again.
With his anti-Romanian rhetoric he is trying to divert attention from internal problems, to please Russian minority and to please Russia, because Russia is the place where he, his son billionaire and whole his family will run after 2009 elections. If they will stay here, they will be judged.
Part of the press is licking his azz, other part is calling him a lunatic and liar. His nick is 'The Liar' in fact. And he really is. Typical communist liar.
jmNZ

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

Why? Aren't Moldavians Rumanians? Just like Wallachians? Or Dobrogeans?
lvl100

Braila, Romania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

jmNZ wrote:
Why? Aren't Moldavians Rumanians? Just like Wallachians? Or Dobrogeans?
Yes they are.
The problem is why they keep voting on the same communists.
ATTILA MAGYAR GARDA

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

Judged:

It is time to eliminate the gypsyland ROM-ania!!ERDELY,TRANSYLVANIA IS HUNGARIAN!!http://au.youtube.c om/watch?v=PB634v-6LlI&eur l=http://www.bloglog.ro/erdly- f_0/erdely-magyar-2-vi_PB634v- 6LlI
san diego

Redlands, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

hey idiot, cancer, corcitura, tradator de tara.

bosgor tigan, vad ca esti peste tot unde poti deranja pe stapinii tai Romanii!

Romanian Ardeal Forever! Come and get it if u can magyar garda! It sucks to be weak and impotent!
Basil

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

Romanian abroad wrote:
Voronin complains about the Romanians not recognising Moldavian history...
But, as jmNZ wrote, Moldavian history, along with Walachian, Dobrogean and Transylvanian, IS Rumanian history.
Michael

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2008

Who is this dork, Voronin?
Is he Moldavian?
When's the next election?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Roman, Romania Discussions

Search the Roman, Romania Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Roma minority lacks political representation Eu... Apr '14 PHILIP THE MACEDONIAN 4
Moldova canceled (May '12) Dec '13 True European 14
Commission regrets Basescu's 'bigger Romania' s... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Bjorn Gogu 1
Will EU Surround Russian-Speaking Island in Eas... (Oct '13) Nov '13 -Piper- 7
Moldova enacts ban on Communist symbols (Oct '12) Oct '13 Adi 44
Over 100,000 Hungarians form human chain, askin... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mihai 1
Court Overturns Convictions in Draskovic Murder... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Serbonazis 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••