Romania: Lawmakers vote to impeach president

Jul 6, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Boston.com

Romanian lawmakers impeached President Traian Basescu in an overwhelming vote Friday, paving the way for a national referendum that could see the divisive and increasingly unpopular leader ousted from the powerful position he's held for eight years.

Comments
1 - 20 of 70 Comments Last updated Aug 3, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Progressive liberal politic”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

EU need common government, elected from all eu-citizens.
gogu

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

Sorry, this is not a scenario…it is cruel Romanian reality:
Romania for a short time will seem stable. Government will attempt (to the president impeachment referendum) appear impartial and will bribe the population through various forms (creating of wealth appearance). The president suspension will be obtained . Late, when Europe will be sleeping, the Romanian political power will make major changes in the Constitution and finally the justice will be enslaved. It will be too late ... it will be a long time to return to democracy
TheRealMagyar

Balatonendréd, Hungary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

Romania is full of fascist extremists!!

Since: May 11

Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Who's talking, the worst nazi thug I ever meet!

What did you write here, scumbag?
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/romania/TVMH...

Futu-ti crucea matii si caca-m-as pe mormantul familiei tale de javra scarboasa!
Piperasuckbigtim e

Bucharest, Romania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

TheRealMagyar wrote:
Romania is full of fascist extremists!!
Now that's the joke of the year when you say it! ROFLMFAO
Piperasuckbigtim e

Bucharest, Romania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

gogu wrote:
Sorry, this is not a scenario…it is cruel Romanian reality:
Romania for a short time will seem stable. Government will attempt (to the president impeachment referendum) appear impartial and will bribe the population through various forms (creating of wealth appearance). The president suspension will be obtained . Late, when Europe will be sleeping, the Romanian political power will make major changes in the Constitution and finally the justice will be enslaved. It will be too late ... it will be a long time to return to democracy
Maybe or maybe not. Until recently the gov was subdued to one man, a man who wasn't even member in teh so called government, a "Master of puppets" with a puppet as premier. So maybe, or not, we need a change.
Armageddon

Haifa, Israel

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Judged:

You are hopeless !
Bye Bye Schengen.....
Piperasuckbigtim e

Bucharest, Romania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Judged:

Armageddon wrote:
You are hopeless !
Bye Bye Schengen.....
LOL Why? Cuz we were naughty just a bit? Please please Geerty, give us another chance. I feel my stomach 'll show up it content now. Nobody care in Romania about your Shitgen, excepting politicians.
Armageddon

Haifa, Israel

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Dear stomach,
It`s not my Schengen, it was supposed to be yours, at least a big fus was made of it in the media. Basescu was very angry about it. Why do the politicians care about it and other people don't ? Please explain, it is confusing to me.
Thanks,
Armageddon
Armageddon

Haifa, Israel

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Judged:

Piperasuckbigtime wrote:
<quoted text> LOL Why? Cuz we were naughty just a bit? Please please Geerty, give us another chance. I feel my stomach 'll show up it content now. Nobody care in Romania about your Shitgen, excepting politicians.
Dear stomach,
It`s not my Schengen, it was supposed to be yours, at least a big fus was made of it in the media. Basescu was very angry about it. Why do the politicians care about it and other people don't ? Please explain, it is confusing to me.
Thanks,
Armageddon

Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Judged:

He is unable to present you anything.

I was not able to hear only once a good Romanian, European political analysis from Pipera, unless slave behaviour to some Hungarian extremists and cheerleading for the social-democrats.

He is too young to remember, most probably never lived it also, the time of the Miners, the 1990s, he was probably a baby at those times.

I am really wishing him to be right and the power shift to create the overly wished "change" and things start going to the right direction. Given the way it started, I doubt heavily on its end...
Piperasuckbigtim e

Bucharest, Romania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Judged:

Te dai in rahat Petre, la fel ca si pretenu' tau "maghiar", dac-o fi maghiar si no'i fi tu de fapt, ca vad ca ai destule proxi aici. In fine, nu-ti mai raspund de acu'. Sa fi sanatos si tu si copiii!

Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Judged:

Esti cu adevarat tampit, daca crezi ca am timp de proxy-uri si asa ceva.
Daca ai stii ceva cu adevarat despre mine, ai intelege perfect ca intru pe un forum pentru a avea un schimb civilizat de idei, chiar daca cateodata, in contradictoriu. Refuz sa accept extremisti ce propun masacre etnice, violente si asa mai departe. Iar cand sunt eu personal si familia mea umpluti de cele mai josnice invective, "imi pare rau", insa reactionez. Din pacate, nu sunt Isus sa intorc si celalalt obraz, daca primesc o palma, raspunsul meu este, desi dur spus, un picior in plina figura.

Si am un singur copil, nu mai multi. Cel putin pentru moment.

In plus, desigur, nu am nevoie de un raspuns de la tine, insa... o recomandare: deschide ochii si evalueaza bine pe cine injuri.

Cu bine.
victor76v

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Judged:

I am very concerned for your nation, I loved it so much, that I married a romanian. I have not been back in some time, but hope to soon.

Either way, this is my concern.

It is a joke, that a lower house of government hijack the power of the presidency, and institute its will without duly being elected. This was not an impeachment, this was a theft of presidency. This sets a very disturbing precedent. I am disgusted that the country is so oblivious that it allowed this to happen, and giving USL so much power, where is the revolution to shoot these perpetraitors. Ponta, and his USL should be lined up, quick summary judgement, and shot. Oh yeah, I forgot you already tried this in the past, sorry.

Romania is corrupt and has been for some time. You finally get a person as president ready to tackle corruption. He does, all your news media owned by the rich and corrupt turn on him. You cannot trust your media, especially the ones who attacked your president and support his ouster. Those stations need to be boycotted forever for their betrayal.

Let Bacescu finish his presidency, let him tackle these idiots, and incarcerate them for their continued ways of stealing government money.

This fight is for spending IMF loan money. The IMF and any other government party that supports his ouster is also in collusion with the USL party, are out to manipulate and steal these monies. Let Basescu assign these monies, he was the one to fight and sacrifice your countries current misfortunes to get this, I believe he has been pro business, bring more and more business into your country. These monies are to be used for supporting money making long term commitments, not throw it away on the people or corruption. Sorry, it hurts to hear someone tell you that these monies should not be thrown away on the people. But if you don't build business, then you have no growth. Business bring jobs, taxes, and money for the government to do better. Of course you don't believe me, but its the truth. Without building more business, your country will fail, and then money will dry up, and you will suffer further. He has been doing this for sometime, building business. Let him, you will derive more money for your country to spend on its citizen, only thru more business opportunities, then romania can help its people because the apparatus has been built to last.

I know how much you all have suffered. I send back money every month to romania, because my inlaws don't have, they have been forgotten, they worked hard before 1989 revolution, and have been ignored by you romania, and also the EU. Romania has to expand into legitimate business, not corrupt for it to have a future. Believe in Basescu, I do, I've seen him do things for your country with limited resources, and just wait, give him the chance to build more business, and your country will prosper in the future. With business growth, government spending will increase, and hopefully take care of its elderly that have been ignored and forgotten. If you don't take care of them, than romania has no future. Elderly need attention before any other citizen in your country. If you keep ignoring them, you will forever be cursed.
Education should take second priority. But again these monies should be used for business growth only.

If you do vote him out, god save Romania. Because you will have squandered this opportunity to turn things in the right direction. Every move backward will be ten fold for romania, because the years are passing and nothing substantial will be accomplished. Do not let USL spend this money, they are evil, and need to be put down, like a horse with a bad leg.

I wish I was Vlad Tepes in this time, because I would impale these MP's who essentially are thieves by stealing your government power away from a elected president.

Well Romania, will you let this joke of USL continue? And if you do, be prepared to pay the price, including your children, and their childrens children.

God save Romania.

Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

I am entirely in agreement to your post, Victor.
Where are you from, actually?
Victor76v

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

Petru wrote:
I am entirely in agreement to your post, Victor.
Where are you from, actually?
Thanks Petru,

I do care for all romania, you are the purest of latinos, I am a latino mexican/spanish decent from America, born American.

I write, only to offer an outside view.

Business growth works, it builds government monies, in order to offer your citizen more.

this is work, the future does not hand out any monies, all monies or loans come with a price. Your country has to avoid asking or avoid borrowing. A debt hole is not an answer. Concentrate on building, that is what romania needs. best of luck, I will read all your posts from now on.

pa
Victor I
Ragnar

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

I guess the faults made by the current government were in number of two:
1. Restriction of Constitutional Court responsibilities by a mere simple majority.
2. Dismissal of the Ombudsman.

These are major democracy faults, which need correction.

Since: Apr 12

Bucharest, Romania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Sorry, Victor, but you know nothing about Romania!
"lower house of Government"??? WTF??? The Parliament has the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to impeach the President, then asking people to vote in favour or against the decision!
And about the sides:
Basescu (former President) and his supporters in the most despicable party since '89, PD-L, were almost all registered members of the Communist Party holding high positions!
The Boc Cabinet illegally controlled by the former President Basescu gave tens of idiotic emergency ordinancies such as "a pound of c.rap values as much as a pound of gold because they both weigh the same"!:))
Those ordinancies never went to Parliament and when challenged were declared Constitutional by a Court also controlled by Basescu!
So there were loads of both extremely stupid and anti-Constitutional measures.
When the people couldn't stand the situation anymore, they protested. Bit by bit, the social-liberal union gained the right to form a new Government and began reconstruction. The problem was the PD-L Mafia got very scared their thefts would be eventually proven and they thrown in jail. So, supported by Basescu - which is again illegal, as the President's political neutrality is mandatory!- they re-activated their huge infernal propaganda machine involving the secret services.
Meanwhile, Basescu tried to rule over the new excellent Government as he did over Boc, which is, AGAIN, illegal!
Then the Parliament voted for his impeachment, organising a referendum for people to vote.
The referendum will be held in a few days, Sunday, the 29th of July. More than 60% of the Romanian citizens are expected to agree with his impeachment!
There will be presidential elections held afterwards in about three months.
There will also be parliamentary elections held on term this autumn.
Where the hell is the problem?

Oh, and FYI, Ponta Cabinet already took some marvellous measures regarding economy, doing in about two months what those both incompetents and thiefs couldn't do for the country in almost four years!!!

PS
Si nu ne mai intoxica si pe-aici cu propaganda basista ca tot il zburam pe prietenul republicanilor!:))

Since: Apr 12

Bucharest, Romania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

@Ragnar
There were huge democracy faults from Basescu himself, but no one cared when he took ALL the powers - legislative, executive and judicial - thus disregarding the Constitution and the State of Law!
And, btw, as you're form Germany, you should know he lied to Angela Merkel: when asked whether the Constitution stipulates the Parliament's right to impeach the President, he answered NO!!! And that's a huge lie!!!
Ragnar

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

So, are you telling me that democracy was faulty before, too?
And this is the reason more faults were added?

Sorry, adding faults to faults is not the way we handle things in the EU. I hope Romania would understand this, for its own sake.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Neamt, Romania Discussions

Search the Neamt, Romania Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Will EU Surround Russian-Speaking Island in Eas... (Oct '13) Jul 18 PROUD TO BE SERB 53
Roma minority lacks political representation Eu... Apr '14 PHILIP THE MACEDONIAN 4
Moldova canceled (May '12) Dec '13 True European 14
Commission regrets Basescu's 'bigger Romania' s... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Bjorn Gogu 1
Moldova enacts ban on Communist symbols (Oct '12) Oct '13 Adi 44
Over 100,000 Hungarians form human chain, askin... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mihai 1
Court Overturns Convictions in Draskovic Murder... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Serbonazis 1
•••
•••