Baptist vote opposes gays in armed forces

Jun 17, 2010 Full story: Arkansas Online

Warning that homosexuality in the U.S. military will bring Goda s judgment and jeopardize national security, the Southern Baptist Convention on Wednesday voted to oppose efforts to allow openly gay Americans to serve in the armed forces.

Full Story
xix

Stockton, CA

#1 Jun 19, 2010
Who cares what these morons think?
Tashi

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

#3 Apr 18, 2011
Tsem Tulku rinpoche firmly teaches that homosexuals may practice Buddhism and achieve nirvana. In fact most of the more productive and solid members of Kechara are gays like Bill Keith who sold his collection of designer shoes to raise funds for Kechara. Stop gay bashing.
Peralta de Peralta

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#4 Jun 17, 2011
June 16, 2011
"...a coalition of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender groups including GetEQUAL and Truth Wins Out, who hand delivered a petition to Wright asking the Southern Baptist Convention for an apology for its Biblical beliefs regarding the lifestyle of LGBT people."

""Obviously, we don't feel that there can be an apology for teaching sexual purity," Wright, pastor of Johnson Ferry Baptist Church in Marietta, Ga., said. "As followers of Christ, our only authority for practicing our faith is Scripture, is the Word of God.... As followers of Christ it would be very difficult for us to betray our faith by ignoring what God says about sexual purity."

"The Bible condemns both homosexual sex and heterosexual sex that is outside the bonds of marriage, Wright said.

""When I teach from the pulpit about adultery, I don't hate adulterers," Wright said. "Just as we have people attending our local church that are engaging in homosexual activity, we have people attending our church who are engaging in adultery. I don't hate those people when I speak about adultery. I am just, hopefully, loving them enough to speak the truth about what God desires for the best for that person."

"Similarly, when Wright preaches about the Bible's prohibition on premarital sex, that doesn't "mean we hate teenagers," he said.

""The standard of Scripture for heterosexual single adults" and for homosexual single adults is "no different," Wright said. Both groups are, he said, to abstain from sex.

""Looking at sexual purity from Scripture, we're not going to be able to come to common ground. I hope you all would respect that we're just seeking to follow Jesus.""

This was asking Bible-believing, Christians to apologize for God Himself which is ridiculous. If GBLTs want Christians to stop teaching that sex outside of marriage [1 man + 1 woman] is wrong, they should go straight to God instead of His middle man and get Him to change His Book.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#5 Aug 16, 2012
Westboro Baptist?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Baptist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 16 hr kent 83,896
Why do Southern Baptists dislike Catholics? (Feb '10) Dec 16 NingNang 111
Southern Baptist Convention Compromises Improvi... Nov '14 REVAVERY 2
Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on gays Oct '14 Fundiementally ill 3
Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on gays Oct '14 RalphB 21
Southern Baptists change their tone but not the... Oct '14 SDO 1
Pastor & Tithing (Nov '08) Oct '14 Insider21 27
More from around the web