Prominent Southern Bapist minister su...

Prominent Southern Bapist minister survives ouster attempt

There are 59 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Oct 9, 2007, titled Prominent Southern Bapist minister survives ouster attempt. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Members of a Southern Baptist megachurch have voted by a nearly 4-to-1 margin to keep their prominent pastor, despite allegations that he misspent church funds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Moose

Atlanta, GA

#1 Oct 9, 2007
Another reason I, as a Christian, avoid all denominations.
A TRUE CHRISTIAN

United States

#2 Oct 9, 2007
Moose wrote:
Another reason I, as a Christian, avoid all denominations.
"Where do you worship? You can't judge all by what one does, or is this an excuse for you?
Calvin

Oak Ridge, TN

#3 Oct 9, 2007
This demonstrates a weakness in the way most Baptist churches are governed. Too much power is in the hands of the pastor. I have known too many baptist pastors that rule as if they are god. A more biblically sound (multiple) elder led church would have more than likely prevented this from happening.
George

Knoxville, TN

#4 Oct 9, 2007
seems like some preachers take undue advantage of their position, huh?
southernbell

Knoxville, TN

#5 Oct 9, 2007
The reason to do right today, is because of tomorrow.
Jay

Paducah, KY

#6 Oct 9, 2007
George wrote:
seems like some preachers take undue advantage of their position, huh?
Sadly, I've seen that happen a lot. My parents used to attend a so-called "mega-church", and it always sort of irked me that the pastor lived so lavishly. Don't misunderstand me...I'm not saying I begrudge him a decent living. But I know doctors and lawyers who live modestly compared to that man and his wife (not going to name names, that would be improper). They had a house in a very exclusive neighborhood that had to have cost around 600K or more, a Lexus *and* a BMW, motorcycles, boats, designer clothing....somehow I think Jesus would have different opinions on how the church's money could be spent.
Over it

Knoxville, TN

#7 Oct 9, 2007
Sorry, but I'm just about over these "prominent" preachers. Just because they are preachers doesn't make them almight and above doing anything wrong. Take the Winkler case, this "prominent" preacher thought he could get by with treating his wife and kids wrong. Guess what? I think he got what he deserved. Preachers having affairs and preaching every Sunday like nothing ever happened. But it's not wrong for him? Just because he is a preacher doesn't make it ok. You may think you're hiding sin from the people but they will find out and you sure can't hide sin from God. Thanks for letting me vent, but I'm over it!
eye opener

Knoxville, TN

#8 Oct 9, 2007
"church members accuses Sutton of failing to abide by church rules and punishing those who question his authority" or what he does?????
Sounds familiar to me here in Knoxville. Open your eyes people!
Cocke County Native

Morristown, TN

#9 Oct 9, 2007
eye opener wrote:
"church members accuses Sutton of failing to abide by church rules and punishing those who question his authority" or what he does?????
Sounds familiar to me here in Knoxville. Open your eyes people!
Typical Southern Baptist behavior-when you don't agree with the pastor, go start another church.Happens all over east Tennessee.
Cocke County Native

Morristown, TN

#10 Oct 9, 2007
What is a Bapist WBIR ? Nice headline. Ever heard of spell check ?
Haveagoodday

Hermitage, TN

#11 Oct 9, 2007
Cocke County Native wrote:
What is a Bapist WBIR ? Nice headline. Ever heard of spell check ?
Good one! You would think being a prominent site that they would do a spell check.
Ohmy

Hermitage, TN

#12 Oct 9, 2007
A TRUE CHRISTIAN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Where do you worship? You can't judge all by what one does, or is this an excuse for you?
True Christian, you don't have to belong to a denomination to be a Christian. Sure, find a church and make sure it is Biblically correct. Go to the Bible and check out everything the preacher preaches on to make sure he correct. Test everything as the Bible tells us to do. As for the mega Churches, I wouldn't go to one of those for all the money in the world. Look at how the preacher lives and compare that to the way Christ lives. That will tell you all you need to know.
tn-glassman

Paducah, KY

#13 Oct 9, 2007
i had to agree with most of what you said "OHMY" but all too many of these local churches are run by a core group of families and the one who shouts the longest and loudest at the weds nite biz meeting wins it aint worth the battle i dont begrudge any pastor what they earn for what they have to put up with many times they earned ut
klynn

Fairport, NY

#14 Oct 9, 2007
what ever happened to seperation of church and state?
Power and Control

Linden, TN

#15 Oct 9, 2007
I attend Bridgewater Baptist Church. We lost our senior pastor four years because he had an affair. Well the powers that be decided we did not need another senior pastor so they elected elders. Well the internal power team, the deacons and elders most of which consist of the same people. Yea, whatever. Anyway, we are about to close the doors because of finances. So the little power group will now lose all power. I am ready to leave Bridgewater and go to a non-denominational church. BTW, we are a Southern Baptist Church. Most of them are corrupt and controlled by small groups of people.
Calvin

Oak Ridge, TN

#16 Oct 9, 2007
Power and Control wrote:
I attend Bridgewater Baptist Church. We lost our senior pastor four years because he had an affair. Well the powers that be decided we did not need another senior pastor so they elected elders. Well the internal power team, the deacons and elders most of which consist of the same people. Yea, whatever. Anyway, we are about to close the doors because of finances. So the little power group will now lose all power. I am ready to leave Bridgewater and go to a non-denominational church. BTW, we are a Southern Baptist Church. Most of them are corrupt and controlled by small groups of people.
In an elder led church, the people elect the elders. If a "little power group" is in charge, then it is because the members elected them. Granted, it might be that they self-selected and the members only got to rubber stamp the selection, and in that case, you should move to another church. Vote with your feet but be sure your reasons are biblical and not personal.
Power and Control

Linden, TN

#17 Oct 9, 2007
Calvin wrote:
<quoted text>
In an elder led church, the people elect the elders. If a "little power group" is in charge, then it is because the members elected them. Granted, it might be that they self-selected and the members only got to rubber stamp the selection, and in that case, you should move to another church. Vote with your feet but be sure your reasons are biblical and not personal.
It was a deceptive method in which they presented and voted on the elders. It was done with a lot of behind the door political based moves. When people are being truly deceived by church leaders they often don't realize it until it's over. She the staff pastors and deacons be the same people as the elders. It's all the same four or five men. That's why we are running 25% of what we were two years ago and our Worship Minister just left. I will be leaving and voting with my feet and my checkbook. Any suggestions on a Bible believing church with contemporary worship?
Moose

Atlanta, GA

#18 Oct 9, 2007
A TRUE CHRISTIAN wrote:
<quoted text>
I attend a non-denominational church simply because it wasn't God's idea to have denominations in the first place. The scriptures (God's Word) tell us, "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment". I Corinthians 1:10. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out Denominations DIVIDED the body of Christ, therefore they are in direct contradiction to God's word, something God wouldn't ordain. Secondly, most denominations I have ever attended over the years, are what scripture would call lukewarm, or carnal. They are still feeding on "milk" decades later and have yet to mature on to eat "meat", therefore, that's another reason I avoid them. I like to grow spiritually. I stopped breastfeeding a long time ago.
Power and Control

Linden, TN

#19 Oct 9, 2007
Moose wrote:
<quoted text>
I attend a non-denominational church simply because it wasn't God's idea to have denominations in the first place. The scriptures (God's Word) tell us, "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment". I Corinthians 1:10. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out Denominations DIVIDED the body of Christ, therefore they are in direct contradiction to God's word, something God wouldn't ordain. Secondly, most denominations I have ever attended over the years, are what scripture would call lukewarm, or carnal. They are still feeding on "milk" decades later and have yet to mature on to eat "meat", therefore, that's another reason I avoid them. I like to grow spiritually. I stopped breastfeeding a long time ago.
Preach on brother.
Calvin

Oak Ridge, TN

#20 Oct 9, 2007
Power and Control wrote:
<quoted text>
Any suggestions on a Bible believing church with contemporary worship?
I can't give advice on a specific church, sorry. If it is an elder-led SBC church you are interested, I would look into the "Founders" friendly SBC churches ( www.founders.org ).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Baptist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do Sexual Perverts Hate Southern Baptists (Jul '13) 44 min Catholic24 41
If all it takes to get into Heaven.... 46 min Catholic24 55
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 1 hr Catholic24 84,394
The Papacy is the Predicted Antichrist Aug 24 Catholic24 100
Purgatory is REAL Aug 22 Catholic24 8
what is a souther baptist? (Oct '13) Aug 19 Catholic24 5
Biblical scripture on priesthood Aug 15 Redeemed 20
More from around the web