Your morning jolt: Mormonism is more ...

Your morning jolt: Mormonism is more like Islam, says Southern Baptist president

There are 110 comments on the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from Oct 14, 2011, titled Your morning jolt: Mormonism is more like Islam, says Southern Baptist president. In it, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry this morning called the controversy over GOP presidential rival Mitt Romney's faith a campaign distraction, ]saying out of work Americans aren't interested in "side issues and sideshows." Appearing on ABC's "Good Morning America," Perry again said he didn't agree with a statement from one of his key Texas supporters, a ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#61 Oct 21, 2011
Wilberhum wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, did you make up that so-called insult?
Or did an 8 year old make it up for you?

Anyway, there is not fun in having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Are you 100% human?

Yes

or

No

www.roysecitycoc.org

“PROUD INFIDEL”

Since: Nov 08

The Crusades got it right!

#62 Oct 21, 2011
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you 100% human?
Yes
or
No
www.roysecitycoc.org
Why don't you go and peddle your mormon religion at your local mosque and see what they tell you. LOL!!!
LBer

Diamond Bar, CA

#63 Oct 21, 2011
I don't know what you people heard, but living next to a Mormon would be no different than living next to your average Catholic. One wife, some kids, go to the church on the weekend (if they even bother).

This is 'much ado about nothing'.

BTW - a funny movie about some 'punk' kids growing up in Salt Lake City , Utah, is "SLC Punk". Really good movie, check it out. Plenty of fighting, cursing, sex, and punk music - nice.
LBer

Diamond Bar, CA

#64 Oct 21, 2011

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#65 Oct 22, 2011
Old Pom

Australia

#66 Oct 23, 2011
A little known fact about Mormons.

http://www.livescience.com/16606-failed-dooms...

“The Defiant Dhimmi”

Since: Apr 08

Scholar of the Obvious

#67 Oct 23, 2011
Old Pom wrote:
A little known fact about Mormons.
http://www.livescience.com/16606-failed-dooms...
Religion is about belief.
Science if about facts.
Every time people use religion as science they make fools of themselves.
Goose

United States

#68 Oct 23, 2011
Thunder-Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you go and peddle your mormon religion at your local mosque and see what they tell you. LOL!!!
That isn't necessary. All that's needed is for a member of the Salt Lake City-based "Latter Day Saints" (LDS) to go peddle their beliefs at a congregation of the Kansas City- based "Reorganized Latter Day Saints" (RLDS).

You see, the LDS and the RLDS each considers the other sect to be a bunch of heretics. These two factions of Mormons have hurled plenty of denunciations at one another.

Thus, Mormons insist Americans should be more "tolerant" of them, and accept them as just another Christian denomination - and they do not even extend such "tolerance" to their own cousins.

(BTW, I already know, and need not be told, that RLDS congregations now call themselves the "Community of Christ". But the "Reorganized Church of ..... Latter Day Saints" is still their legal name.)

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#69 Oct 23, 2011
I'm no supporter of Mormonism, but this SBC guy should keep his divisive mouth closed.

I've known a lot of Mormom people who are are good people. Morally upright and kind. To compare them to Islamists is not only insulting but it's not a good way to bring them to realize who Jesus Christ really is.
Goose

United States

#70 Oct 23, 2011
VozRazon wrote:
I'm no supporter of Mormonism, but this SBC guy should keep his divisive mouth closed.
But there's this pesky thing in the Bible about how we should "contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints".
Then there's that pesky 1st amendment thing.
I hope you can figure out how to deal with it!
superwilly

Butler, PA

#71 Oct 23, 2011
Wilberhum wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is about belief.
Science if about facts.
Every time people use religion as science they make fools of themselves.
You'd be surprised how much "science" is based on "belief".

Piltdown man, anyone?

“PROUD INFIDEL”

#72 Oct 23, 2011
Goose wrote:
<quoted text>That isn't necessary. All that's needed is for a member of the Salt Lake City-based "Latter Day Saints" (LDS) to go peddle their beliefs at a congregation of the Kansas City- based "Reorganized Latter Day Saints" (RLDS).
You see, the LDS and the RLDS each considers the other sect to be a bunch of heretics. These two factions of Mormons have hurled plenty of denunciations at one another.
Thus, Mormons insist Americans should be more "tolerant" of them, and accept them as just another Christian denomination - and they do not even extend such "tolerance" to their own cousins.
(BTW, I already know, and need not be told, that RLDS congregations now call themselves the "Community of Christ". But the "Reorganized Church of ..... Latter Day Saints" is still their legal name.)
And I consider all religions as false.

“PROUD INFIDEL”

#73 Oct 23, 2011
superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be surprised how much "science" is based on "belief".
Piltdown man, anyone?
And so? Piltdown man was a hoax, just like the men who invented god to suit their own perverted needs.
Goose

United States

#74 Oct 24, 2011
Thunder-Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
And I consider all religions as false.
Are we all supposed to care and get upset now?
Helen

Roosevelt, UT

#75 Oct 24, 2011
Goose wrote:
<quoted text>But there's this pesky thing in the Bible about how we should "contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints".
Then there's that pesky 1st amendment thing.
I hope you can figure out how to deal with it!
Did you know that that pesky 1st amendment thing came about because of the Baptist at that time in history who were being persecuted and brutalized both socially and theologically. The Baptist fought for the separation of Church and State and influenced the founding fathers through their fight and determination not to let the other Churches who were persecuting them to be paid by the government ("Nursing Fathers")or to have a religious test for office as well. Now look at the state of affairs with the Baptist. They are a shame compared to those who helped to shape this country where there is suppose to be freedom of religion. They are now the biggest bigots.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel05.ht...
superwilly

Butler, PA

#76 Oct 24, 2011
Thunder-Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
And so? Piltdown man was a hoax, just like the men who invented god to suit their own perverted needs.

My point was that the whole scientific community believed it because they wanted to for a long time. Belief was a part of it.
Old Pom

Australia

#77 Oct 24, 2011
superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was that the whole scientific community believed it because they wanted to for a long time. Belief was a part of it.
As knowledge increased it failed to meet expectations for a genuine fossil and was discredited.
For some "strange" reason religion seems (partly) immune to this.

Perhaps eventually??

“PROUD INFIDEL”

#78 Oct 25, 2011
Goose wrote:
<quoted text>Are we all supposed to care and get upset now?
I don't care what you do. I'm just stating what I think.
Goose

United States

#79 Oct 25, 2011
Thunder-Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care what you do. I'm just stating what I think.
You can also get attention by going to a carnival entrance and standing on your head.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#80 May 14, 2015
Stoltenberg likes the Pope

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Baptist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida Baptists send additional $500,000 to SB... Feb 5 Really 1
News Jerry Falwell Jr. endorses Donald Trump for pre... Feb 5 Really 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) Feb 2 Fit2Serve 3,843
News Jerry Falwell Jr. cites his father in Trump end... Jan 31 Lawrence Wolf 29
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Jan 28 Royston McSh-ttyh... 84,626
Can't Get Copy of our Church's By-Laws/Constitu... (Jun '08) Jan '16 Say say 41
Baptists look here! Dec '15 Redeemed 18
More from around the web