Southern Baptist leader says church i...

Southern Baptist leader says church in turmoil

There are 50 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Feb 9, 2007, titled Southern Baptist leader says church in turmoil. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

A Southern Baptist leader says feuding over theology and worship styles is distracting the denomination from the critical work of evangelism.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Don Price

Nashville, TN

#1 Feb 9, 2007
I left the Baptist because of decreased emphasis on evangelism. I now attend an Alliance Church which puts lot of emphasis on evangelism and missions,
Just thinking

Benson, NC

#3 Feb 9, 2007
The bible fortold long ago that false religion would be put to an end just before Armageddon. Maybe the Baptists should open their Bibles and educate themselves instead of listening to the idiots that call themselves pastors.
Laura

Miami, FL

#4 Feb 9, 2007
Let's not run down all baptist. There are good and bad in all denomintions. Go to a Bible preaching church. I know many Southern Baptist Pastors who are true men of God.
Baptist Brother

Riceville, TN

#5 Feb 9, 2007
Calling another person an idiot? You must not be a Christian right? Or maybe you should be the one opening a Bible.
Just thinking wrote:
The bible fortold long ago that false religion would be put to an end just before Armageddon. Maybe the Baptists should open their Bibles and educate themselves instead of listening to the idiots that call themselves pastors.
Chucky

United States

#6 Feb 9, 2007
If the Southern Baptist churches, as well as all the others, would step back and look at how they are preaching and teaching God's word as given to us through the Bible, they would have a better uderstanding of why membership in the churches is going down and evangelism is non-existent.

Churches today have watered down what the Bible says to the point people aren't getting saved through the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross. So many churches are basing their preaching/teaching on documents other than the Bible, and when the Bible is preached/taught only the portions of the Bible that are pleasant to hear are being presented. When was the last time you were in church and the preacher talked about Hell, and what Hell is really about? When was the last time you heard that pre-marital sex, adultery, and homosexuality are wrong and a sin before God? When was the last time that you heard that it is against the Bible for a woman to be a preacher? When was the last time that you heard that it's wrong for an individual who is a homosexual to be in the pulpit?

Today's churches are too interested in seeing the seats filled by any means, and as such the messages coming out of the pulpits are sugar coated so that they are not offensive to anyone. God is very much a God of love, and we hear that a lot in our churches, but God is not "Santa Claus". God is also a God of vengeance against those who sin against Him. People don't want to hear that, or have their toes stepped on by preaching against what is popular in today's society. You rarely hear anything against adultery anymore, because this sin is running rampant through the congregation. Until the Southern Baptists get back to the basics of what the Bible really teaches us, people are not going to get saved from Hell. As long as we are willing to allow sin to dominate the congregation (like adultery) without chastising
the behavior within the church, we are not going to see the blessings from true evangelism and lasting growth in the church. Anytime I see a church growing rapidly in membership, I ask myself "I wonder what they are preaching there...?". Most likely, they are appealing to peoples feelings, and not preaching the entire Bible. Probably just "feel good" messages.

Not long ago, I read a story on this website that talked about Baptist churches dropping the term, "Baptist" from their titles in an attempt to draw more people in. The majority of churches that are growing in membership today are not preaching/teaching all of God's word. The churches that are struggling for membership typically preach the majority of the Bible, and today's society doesn't want to hear that.

This is a sign of the times, and the Bible warns us that there will be a "falling away" from the word before Jesus comes back.

I just recently left one Baptist church for another because a re-married preacher was being allowed into the pulpit. Regardless of what your opinion is, this is clearly against what God has said through inspiration in the Bible.
Chucky

United States

#7 Feb 9, 2007
I'm very disappointed that WBIR's webpage blanked out words that are in the Bible. The word H-e-l-l , should not be blanked out when being used in relationships to the church and Bible. This is one of those places that society doesn't want to "offend" anyone. This is not a cuss word when used in biblical reference. I wonder if it would have blanked out Hades?
JT in KTown

Dallas, TX

#8 Feb 9, 2007
Does there ever come a time when we point the finger at ourselves? I know no pastor, regardless of how wise & eloquent, who can make a decision of salvation for anyone other than themselves.

It's time that people stop looking for churches to entertain them & start hoping that they find their own relationship with God before judgement comes.
JS in Sunsphere City

AOL

#9 Feb 9, 2007
Preach the Word; Teach the Truth; Heal the people.
james johnson

Mount Juliet, TN

#10 Feb 9, 2007
I think Ozzy Osbourne would make a great Pastor.
james johnson

Mount Juliet, TN

#11 Feb 9, 2007
The reason the baptist church is in turmoil here in Knoxville,is that most people eant to Proclaim Peyton Manning as the Christ and remove the real one.
Pat Frank

United States

#12 Feb 9, 2007
Alas, Babylon...Alas, Alas...
Pat Frank

United States

#13 Feb 9, 2007
Laura wrote:
Let's not run down all baptist. There are good and bad in all denomintions. Go to a Bible preaching church. I know many Southern Baptist Pastors who are true men of God.
You get four Baptists together, and there it certain there's a fifth around there somewhere.
Anna V

Franklin, TN

#14 Feb 9, 2007
I am an active member of a Southern Baptist church, and I speak to this issue from that
vantage point. For many years, Southern Baptist churches have supported worldwide missions and missions within the United States through a program called the "Cooperative Program". Churches gave part of their offerings to this program which went to support the missionaries of the International Mission Board and the North American Mission Board. In addition, churches have accepted special offerings at Easter for U.S. missions and at Christmas for foreign missions.
Southern Baptists, for our many lapses of good judgment in other areas, still have one of the best methods of placing missionaries in the field and supporting them.
Because of this funding, missionaries could stay in the field rather than have to come to the United States frequently and solicit contributors to support their missions work.

I would have to agree that theology and worship styles have been controversial issues within many Southern Baptist churches in recent years. I definitely agree that it's time for a new generation of Southern Baptists to see if they can come together in unity and evangelize the world for Christ. The generation that controls the Southern Baptist Convention and our seminaries
majors on legalism. They lost their vision of Christ long ago. Their attitudes and behavior testify to the fact that they cannot be in deep, abiding relationships with Christ, and our denomination has suffered because of this for many years. I love God passionately, and I love His church, and I am appalled at what has happened to my denomination over the past 20-30 years.

Southern Baptists need to unite under the banner of "Christ", ONLY CHRIST. Our denomination needs a revival-I'll not look at the Catholics or the Presbyterians or the Methodists (or any other denomination the reader may select) and say that they have got it all wrong. WE have got it wrong, and we need to make it right. Evangelism should be a large part of our agenda because it fulfills the Great Commission that Jesus Himself commanded.
The Southern Baptist Convention needs to be purged and filled with Spirit-filled men and women who are seeking God's purposes, not their own. In saying this, I would inject that there are some godly leaders among us, and I thank God for them. But many need to remember WHO they serve, and serve Him instead of themselves.
John

Clayton, NC

#15 Feb 9, 2007
for years I lived next to a Baptist church. The same people I saw on the porch in their nice suits,I saw later that afternoon at the local market with a six-pack in each hand.
The whole 'once saved,always saved' credo is what is killing the Baptist church. You can't spread the Gospel by living anyway you like and expecting the weekly visit to church to make things right.
Jesus mentioned hypocrits specifically. It is up to Christians (of which I am one,btw) to not only talk the talk,but walk the walk.
james johnson

Mount Juliet, TN

#16 Feb 9, 2007
John wrote:
for years I lived next to a Baptist church. The same people I saw on the porch in their nice suits,I saw later that afternoon at the local market with a six-pack in each hand.
The whole 'once saved,always saved' credo is what is killing the Baptist church. You can't spread the Gospel by living anyway you like and expecting the weekly visit to church to make things right.
Jesus mentioned hypocrits specifically. It is up to Christians (of which I am one,btw) to not only talk the talk,but walk the walk.
UHHHH Okay.As long as they didn't put down someone for having a few beers that is ok.As long as they are not pastors or deacons they can down a few.When beers get in the way of everything you do that is when its a problem,Jesus drunk wine,not grapejuice and he didn't over enduldge.The water wasn't wasn't safe and it isn't now.And this is not a slam against you,just an opinion.
Pat Frank

United States

#17 Feb 10, 2007
james johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
UHHHH Okay.As long as they didn't put down someone for having a few beers that is ok.As long as they are not pastors or deacons they can down a few.When beers get in the way of everything you do that is when its a problem,Jesus drunk wine,not grapejuice and he didn't over enduldge.The water wasn't wasn't safe and it isn't now.And this is not a slam against you,just an opinion.
Are you from Babble-On? Just wondering...

Mahalo
Frank Shirley

United States

#18 Feb 10, 2007
John wrote:
Let me ask you John, just what did you do to correct this problem? You are either part of the solution, or part of the problem.
Frank Shirley

United States

#19 Feb 10, 2007
I joined and Baptist church many years ago, I was even Baptized there. Soon I realized that their main concern was the weekly offering and how many people they counted each sunday.

Far to many shurches want to be Mega Churches, and so few want to do the outreach and work that goes into growing. I am currently a member of a Bible based church, a diverse one at that. We have an average of about 850 peole per sunday and we are growing. All of this is happening in New England. God joins us for service all the time.

Lets not throw stones at the Baptist, lets pray for them that they may regain their way and become strong again.

God Bless You All
Frank
Connecticut
Frank Shirley

United States

#20 Feb 10, 2007
Just thinking wrote:
It is certainly apparent that you belong in church yourself. We all make mistakes and fall, but do we get back up again. Someone that would call another person a name like idiot should open their bible and start studying.
DD Moore

Jasper, TN

#21 Feb 10, 2007
Perhaps it's time for Sothern Baptists to stop looking at the quantity in the denomination and start looking at the quality of the message they are presenting before the unsaved and unchurched world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Baptist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Manipulating A Woman Into Your Bed Tue barryconner-theor... 1
News Donald Trump and His Angry Voters are Furtherin... Aug 12 South Knox Hombre 2
News Debbie Wasserman blasts emails questioning Sand... Aug 12 South Knox Hombre 1
News Spotlight on Westosha Baptist Church Jul 30 Bubba from Kenosha 2
Just a few thoughts. Jul '16 Will2597 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) Jul '16 Knowledge- 4,337
Help needed Jul '16 Zaneta 3
More from around the web