Theistic Evolution, Plausible?

Posted in the Southern Baptist Forum

JBlue

Richardson, TX

#1 Dec 3, 2009
This question concerns the theological implications of theistic evolution. Please keep responses and discussion on-topic, and to the point. Also, this topic is listed in the "Southern Baptist" forum, but note that it applies to other Christian denominations as well.

I've heard of some Theistic Evolutionists (those who hold to a Darwinian Evolutionary Theory) try to make a case for Theistic Evolution, but often times they do not make a convincing case for Theistic Evolution. For example, Karl W. Giberson wrote a book related called "Saving Darwin." In it he attempts to argue that Darwinian theory does not take anything away from the Christian doctrine, particularly the Doctrine of Christ, but I beg to differ.

My first question is, "Is Theistic Evolution the best option for Christians to take? If so, Why? If not, Why?"

Second, "Giberson makes the case that creation doctrine is secondary to Christianity, the first being Christ. Do you agree, and is this consistent, scripturally?"

Third, "Is Theistic Evolution a contradiction?"

Lastly, "Assuming God created by means of evolutionary theory, what should Christians do with the Genesis creation account? Is there any interpretation that could be consistent with Darwinian theory?"

There are other questions which I may post later, but for now I think this is a good starting point for discussion.

Thanks!
Dan

Budapest, Hungary

#2 Feb 28, 2010
Can an Evangelical Christian Accept Evolution?

Whatever

Ava, MO

#3 Mar 3, 2010

No! Either you believe the Word of the Living God or father goose (darwin).

“OK, Here's My Shocked Face!!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4 May 4, 2010
JBlue wrote:
This question concerns the theological implications of theistic evolution. Please keep responses and discussion on-topic, and to the point. Also, this topic is listed in the "Southern Baptist" forum, but note that it applies to other Christian denominations as well.
I've heard of some Theistic Evolutionists (those who hold to a Darwinian Evolutionary Theory) try to make a case for Theistic Evolution, but often times they do not make a convincing case for Theistic Evolution. For example, Karl W. Giberson wrote a book related called "Saving Darwin." In it he attempts to argue that Darwinian theory does not take anything away from the Christian doctrine, particularly the Doctrine of Christ, but I beg to differ.
My first question is, "Is Theistic Evolution the best option for Christians to take? If so, Why? If not, Why?"
Second, "Giberson makes the case that creation doctrine is secondary to Christianity, the first being Christ. Do you agree, and is this consistent, scripturally?"
Lastly, "Assuming God created by means of evolutionary theory, what should Christians do with the Genesis creation account? Is there any interpretation that could be consistent with Darwinian theory?"
There are other questions which I may post later, but for now I think this is a good starting point for discussion.
Thanks!
I beleive there is room for adaptation, but not evolution as taught today.
Tashi

Malaysia

#5 Apr 18, 2011
Dalai Lama believes that the Tibetans are a subspecies of homo sapien which evolved by the conjugation between man and a monkey.

“Irony at its finest”

Since: May 10

Connersville, IN

#6 Jun 12, 2011
Well, considering Creationism is impossible, either there must be a compromise or evolution is the only option.
Ponder This

Newtown Square, PA

#7 Jul 30, 2011
Whatever wrote:
No! Either you believe the Word of the Living God or father goose (darwin).
Yes, it is plausible.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say HOW God created everything--it only says that he did. The process of creation is totally beyond our comprehension.

It would be like telling a 5 year old "Here, I just built you a computer." He can understand that it was built, but has absolutely no idea HOW it was built because it is beyond his understanding.

How do we know that evolution wasn't used in creation? We don't since we don't know HOW God created, but it is a possible conclusion, since we have learned much through science in just the last 150 years.

Theistic Evolution dovetails nicely with Intelligent Design.

There is no harm in wondering HOW He did it.

This does make sense, given that we know how old the Earth is.

When the books of the Bible were written, Man didn't comprehend the mathematical figure of 1,000,000 or 1,000,000,000. It was beyond his understanding, hence the bit about the Earth being only 6,000 years old. We know that isn't true. Also, there is no mention of dinosaurs who were killed off 65,000,000 years ago. Why is that? The writers of those books couldn't comprehend numbers that big and beasts that no longer existed.

Just something to think about.
David Evarts

Eugene, OR

#8 Sep 18, 2011
I've written and many others have written longer peices explaining why evolution is the best fit with the Bible and traditional Christian theology and is the best science, but I'm posting mostly just to make you aware of a group that you could join on Facebook. It's called "Celebrating Creation by Natural Selection." Our group is mostly comprised of evolutionary creationists from a variety of Christian denominations, including Southern Baptists, though we do have a few members who are welcome to join us for discussion, who are Jewish, atheistic, anti-evolutionistic or of other non-Christian belief system and they are quite welcome. We also have members from many fields and educational levels, including professional theologians, biologists, chemist, engineers, pastors, etc.. Blessings to you all. https://www.facebook.com/groups/214832310976/

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#9 Oct 29, 2011
1) I can no longer speak from a Christian perspective; however, given that species did, in fact, evolve...I would think that it would be the best option for Christians to take.

2) Being a former Christian, I'm not sure anything is "secondary" so to speak. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

3)Not necessarily, in my opinion. I guess it depends on how one interprets scripture...and how literally one accepts it.

4)Again, it depends on interpretation. If one were to take Genesis literally, then no...known scientific evidence has to be discarded.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#10 Oct 29, 2011
JBlue wrote:
Thanks!
My post is in response to this original post by JBlue. I am new to topix, and I find it frustrating at times. It kept deleting my response while asking me to post a response.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Baptist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 min cpeter1313 6,828
News How Trump is highlighting divisions among South... 6 hr Chilli J 124
"Predestined"?? "Elected"?? Or You Choose to Be... Jun 19 Gismys 1
Southern Baptists just declared war on Planned ... Jun 18 South Knox Hombre 1
News ADL: Southern Baptists did the right thing in c... Jun 17 South Knox Hombre 1
News How Trump is highlighting divisions among South... Jun 12 Voltaire 40
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Jun 7 princess_noochie 84,749
More from around the web