Posted in the Sikh Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
poster

UK

#1 Sep 1, 2008
http://www.gurbani.org/articles/webart168.htm

"O my mind, you are That "Joti-Svaroopa": the true image of the divine Light know your Reality.

O my mind, the Reality is with you; through Gurmat (Gurbani's Teachings), enjoy That Love.

Acknowledge your Origin; then you
will know your Source, and so understand death and birth. By (awakening within) the Divine Grace, know the One; then, you will be free from duality (Maya).

Peace comes to the mind, and happiness resounds; then, you will be acclaimed.

Thus says Nanak: O my mind, you are That "Joti-Svaroopa":
the true image of the Divine Light know your Reality (sggs 441).
peace_lover

Birmingham, UK

#2 Sep 1, 2008
The above post doesnt really say what direction to pray, if anything it talks about gods light, influence being everywere which i do agree upon.

just like sikhs wear the 5k's because they were commanded to, muslims worship god in a certain direction because they are commaned to.
poster

UK

#3 Sep 1, 2008
Acknowledge your Origin; then you
will know your Source, and so understand death and birth.

By (awakening within) the Divine Grace, know the One; then, you will be free from duality (Maya).
Poster

UK

#4 Sep 2, 2008
From the book by Gurmukh Singh:

"Parmatma or what we call God or Lord has countless qualities. Some major
ones are mentioned in the Mool Mantar at the beginning of Japji Saheb.

(a) He is one, the one God who is present everywhere - Ek Oan(g)kaar.
Poster

UK

#5 Sep 2, 2008
cont:/

"(b) His name is the Truth Satnaam.

Only God and His name are for ever.

Everything else in this world is short lived.
Poster

UK

#6 Sep 2, 2008
cont:

"(c) He is the creator - Karta,

who is also present in everything in a hidden form Purakh.
Poster

UK

#7 Sep 3, 2008
cont:

God being formless cannot be seen, but we can know something about Him through His racna creation.

Guru Arjan Dev mentions that what is seen in this world - jo deesai, is His form sargun saroop.

Jo deesai so tayra roop.[SGGSJ 724]
poster

UK

#8 Sep 22, 2008
quote"
Eveything seen is a part of Him. We are all offshoots of the Lord. The life in us is His jot light.

The body consists of five elements panj tat which are fire, earth, water, air and ether. After creating the body the Lord gives it life by inserting the jot in it. Just as rays emanate form the sun, and are part of the sun, so too the Jot is part of the Lord. One dies when He withdraws the jot from the body of five elements. His Jot is referred to as the jeevatma or soul.

The Lord Himself is referred to as the parm atma highest soul.
The Lord is like a tree trunk payd, and His creation consists of all the branches and twigs saakh growing from the trunk. Guru Arjan Dev refers to Him as :

Tu(n) payd saakh tayri fooli. SGGSJ P.102

Guru Amar Das refers to the tree trunk payd as the origin mool, and says that those people who take an interest in the mool enjoy sukh whereas those who are interested in the branches daali gain nothing. Their lives are wasted janm gvaea.

Ek mool lagay oni sukh paea. Daali laagay teni janm gvaea. SGGSJ P.1051
Prophet Mohammed

London, UK

#9 Sep 22, 2008
I use to wipe my bum with the Qu'ran.
poster

UK

#10 Sep 22, 2008
Prophet Mohammed wrote:
I use to wipe my bum with the Qu'ran.
u are a big time idiot!
poster

UK

#11 Sep 28, 2008
Guru Arjan Dev says that the Lord created the world that we see, His sargun form, from His unseen nergun form nergun tay sargun drestaarang.

In His sargun form the Lord created the presence of these gun of maya.

Bhenn bhenn traigun besthaaran(g). Nergun tay sargun drestaaran(g).

SGGSJ P.250
Fact

India

#12 Sep 29, 2008
peace_lover wrote:
muslims worship god in a certain direction because they are commaned to.
If islam asks muslims to worship god in a certain direction then there must be some reason behind it.Can you please state the reason?
peace_lover

Birmingham, UK

#13 Sep 29, 2008
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
If islam asks muslims to worship god in a certain direction then there must be some reason behind it.Can you please state the reason?
sure.

one of the main reasons behind worshiping god in one direction is to create unity. lets take a simple case of a mosque, some people may want to pray in one direction and others may want to pray in another but to creat unity one direction was commanded. when you carry out the namaaz (worshiping god) you know that millions of muslims around the world are praying in the direction, this creates unity. however it is worth noting it does not mean god is only in one direction.
poster

UK

#14 Sep 30, 2008
This is "true Unity of humanity" see topic ->

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/sikh/T59K ...

Unity is not by changing the direction from praying towards Jerusalem with the Jewish and then segregating from them to pray towards a black stone in Mecca!.

Your 21st century reasons for praying towards a black stone simply does not wash.

All muslims have now done is shown to the world the lack of unity for all humankind in islam by this very act and reasons for praying towards a black stone.
peace_lover

Birmingham, UK

#15 Sep 30, 2008
'Unity is not by changing the direction from praying towards Jerusalem with the Jewish and then segregating from them to pray towards a black stone in Mecca!.'

your using pointless comparisons, the moving of the direction was not for unity purposes but was done bcasue of a commandment, it would be like me saying what unity does wearing the kanga give, do you see how pointless it is.

the unity is created by getting everyone to pray in the same direction, that is the unity part of it. the black stone or the kaaba does not hold any significance in terms of what your worshiping as only god is worshiped.

'Your 21st century reasons for praying towards a black stone simply does not wash.'

you can call it 21st or 7th century, the fact is gods message is for all times. cetain things that may have not been understood in the past may be understood now due to things such as scientifc development or even change in human thinking.
poster

UK

#16 Sep 30, 2008
poster wrote:
This is "true Unity of humanity" see topic ->
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/sikh/T59K ...
Unity is not by changing the direction from praying towards Jerusalem with the Jewish and then segregating from them to pray towards a black stone in Mecca!.
Your 21st century reasons for praying towards a black stone simply does not wash.
All muslims have now done is shown to the world the lack of unity for all humankind in islam by this very act and reasons for praying towards a black stone.
To elaborate further;

Was it really Gods command to change the direction of prayer from jerusalem to mecca where a black stone reside's?

Most likely - NO.

The Jewish community were already praying towards Jerusalem and so were the then followers of mohammed. This means that they were in a sense "united" with the Jews.

Note: I use the word "united" here as this the 21st century excuse for praying towards a black stone in mecca.

Then mohammad decides to move the direction of prayer from jerusalem to mecca.

Why? Was it really God who told him to do this. NO!

in the 21st century, muslims are saying this is for "unity" only amongst muslims.

What about the Jewish?

What about the rest of humanity?

Are everyone else considered "infidels" or "Kufr"?

Is this true unity amongst mankind.?

Obviously NO.

A religion that even dares to preach this form of unity all in the name of God is utterly "nonsensical".
Fact

India

#17 Sep 30, 2008
peace_lover wrote:
<quoted text>
one of the main reasons behind worshiping god in one direction is to create unity. lets take a simple case of a mosque, some people may want to pray in one direction and others may want to pray in another but to creat unity one direction was commanded. when you carry out the namaaz (worshiping god) you know that millions of muslims around the world are praying in the direction, this creates unity. however it is worth noting it does not mean god is only in one direction.
In Mecca Guru nanak Dev Ji lay down to sleep at night, he turned his feet towards Kaaba. A priest Jiwan kicked him and said "Who is this infidel sleeping with his feet towards God?" The Guru replied "Turn my feetin the direction in which God is not." After listening this the priest came to realizationthat god was everywhere.
This proves that muslims beleive that god resides in one direction.
To say that muslims pray in one direction for unity is also wrong.Two muslims may pray in one direction but still they may be fighting after Namaz owing to their mutual differences. sunni muslims and shia muslims pray in one direction but still they keep on fighting among themselves.
I could have also said that sikhs wear 5K's for unity but it will be highly illogical to say that.
Feeling of unity will come when our mind will become pure. Feeling of unity cannot come by praying in one direction.
peace_lover

Birmingham, UK

#18 Sep 30, 2008
'in the 21st century, muslims are saying this is for "unity" only amongst muslims.

What about the Jewish?'

The message of moses and jesus was altered by mankind, although they may have prayed in the same direction they did not believe in the same thing i.e the trinity etc. so to seperate the wrong beliefs from the right the direction of prayer was changed. many jews and christians also changed there direction and became muslim.

'To say that muslims pray in one direction for unity is also wrong.Two muslims may pray in one direction but still they may be fighting after Namaz owing to their mutual differences. sunni muslims and shia muslims pray in one direction but still they keep on fighting among themselves.'

ofcourse two muslims may fight but how does that alter the point that one direction of prayer is there to create unity?
the gurdwara is the guru's door were sikhs worship god and are united right, i can show you actual fights happening in the gurdwara does that mean the gurdwara is wrong, the answer is no. if people fight it is because they are not following religion.

im sure some muslims do have arguments just like some sikhs may have arguments, that has nothing to do with the purpose of religion. so your point that two muslims fighting prooves praying in one direction does not create unity is pointless.
poster

UK

#19 Oct 1, 2008
peace_lover wrote:
'in the 21st century, muslims are saying this is for "unity" only amongst muslims.
What about the Jewish?'
The message of moses and jesus was altered by mankind,
So was the message in Islam teachings.
poster

UK

#20 Oct 1, 2008
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
In Mecca Guru nanak Dev Ji lay down to sleep at night, he turned his feet towards Kaaba. A priest Jiwan kicked him and said "Who is this infidel sleeping with his feet towards God?" The Guru replied "Turn my feetin the direction in which God is not." After listening this the priest came to realizationthat god was everywhere.
This proves that muslims beleive that god resides in one direction.
To say that muslims pray in one direction for unity is also wrong.Two muslims may pray in one direction but still they may be fighting after Namaz owing to their mutual differences. sunni muslims and shia muslims pray in one direction but still they keep on fighting among themselves.
I could have also said that sikhs wear 5K's for unity but it will be highly illogical to say that.

Feeling of unity will come when our mind will become pure. Feeling of unity cannot come by praying in one direction.
Beautifully put.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
aaj mom day hay 11 min rohit 16
Mujhe chodo boys 18 min khan 37
kis bahen ko bahi nay apany jahgoo par nagi bethay 22 min rahul 122
Main ritu mujhe sex karna h 29 min lucky kapur 35
mai apni bahan ko chodna chahta hu 37 min akram 81
wife ki chudai karwane ke liye cont kare7879418359 37 min pregnent karnewala 120
Ahmedabad me koi hai jo apane wife ko muslim ka... 1 hr rake8717zero for3483 6
More from around the web