why do so many Sikh people cut their ...

why do so many Sikh people cut their hair?

Created by Kaurz on Dec 3, 2007

716 votes

Click on an option to vote

they are ignorant

they want to follow fashion

Dont care what the Guru's did

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#1 Dec 3, 2007
Mainly because they don't want to look like Don Imus ! Who could blame them ?
Jersey Kaur

Herndon, VA

#2 Dec 3, 2007
It’s convenient and fashionable to keep the hair trimmed. Besides keeping a full head of hair won’t make you a better Sikh
USAJACKMAN

Santa Ana, CA

#3 Dec 7, 2007
well, better question is why do the Hindu cut their tails, why do not the Jews wear the Yakama all the time, why do not the Muslim wear the mullah hat all the time. it is a matter of being liberal and how orthodox you in your religion.

so shut the hell and stop asking stupid questions
USAJACKMAN

Santa Ana, CA

#4 Dec 7, 2007
Ed Burke wrote:
Mainly because they don't want to look like Don Imus ! Who could blame them ?
and you, bet, can not get a BJ if you tried for the rest of your life, with hair or with your bald head
Rajputana

New York, NY

#5 Dec 8, 2007
Jersey Kaur wrote:
It’s convenient and fashionable to keep the hair trimmed. Besides keeping a full head of hair won’t make you a better Sikh
lol and 'messing around with pink' will?- at the end of the day sikhism still upholds the belief of karma and suffering so if a guy is stigmatized by society for keeping rehat it actually works in his favor in the afterlife...
USAJACKMAN

Santa Ana, CA

#6 Dec 8, 2007
not too many sikhs belive in life after
Rajputana

New York, NY

#7 Dec 8, 2007
i cant say if alot do or dont but the ones that dont probably think themselves to be gurus version of 'sikhs' like our friend kaura here...miss pink-pie butterfly
USAJACKMAN

Santa Ana, CA

#8 Dec 8, 2007
PINK, LOVE PINK, BUT, OVER THE YEARS I FIND BROWN TO BE MORE SEXY NOW. THAT IS IF THE BODY IS TIGHT AND FIT AND SHAVED AND LACED WITH OLIVE OIL.
Rajputana

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#9 Dec 8, 2007
USAJACKMAN wrote:
PINK, LOVE PINK, BUT, OVER THE YEARS I FIND BROWN TO BE MORE SEXY NOW. THAT IS IF THE BODY IS TIGHT AND FIT AND SHAVED AND LACED WITH OLIVE OIL.
See i find myself in the same predicament these days but i also have a soft spot for korean and japanese ladies...the brown ladies is a tricky one for me - they must be arabic or persian looking and not lacking a high protein diet...i'd go for the muslimah afghan women too or even neaplese...
Gurprit Kaur

Victoria, Canada

#10 Dec 9, 2007
Assimilation sums it up.
USAJACKMAN

Santa Ana, CA

#11 Dec 9, 2007
Rajputana wrote:
<quoted text>
See i find myself in the same predicament these days but i also have a soft spot for korean and japanese ladies...the brown ladies is a tricky one for me - they must be arabic or persian looking and not lacking a high protein diet...i'd go for the muslimah afghan women too or e

ven neaplese...
we are talking about PINK, the rest are more interested in hair cutting, WHO care. PINK IS MORE IMPORTANT.
dont need to kw

Birmingham, UK

#12 Jun 23, 2008
yo wats it to u if they do cut then hair n if they dont,? mind yr own buisness!!!
Bandan

Jaipur, India

#13 Jun 23, 2008
The ones who are cutting their hair :

-not been properly brought up OR don't belong to a religious family background
-never heard Bani , and understood its meaning line by line.
-never were interested to read about each of our Guru's and how so many disciples of our Gurus gave up their heads rather than cutting hair.
-think that our religion is a very traditional dharma , and its ok to get parted from its orthodox version and you can still be a Sikh by cutting your hair.
-most of the men think they have a nice chance to attract the opposite sex by trimming their hair.

Now the Reality check for each of the above points:

-Majority of my friends who had cut their hair , either their parents never cared , or they were rebellious and didn't care about our own community.
-If you hear Bani , recite it , understand it , you will realize everything else is foolishness.
-Sikhs in the past got cut into parts , got grinded ,pure blood streams...but never cut their hair ,they did it so that the Guru in each of us lives on. Read about Bhai Mati Das , and you may know better.
-Sikhism is the most modern religion , when analyzed on the religious time scale.It is the fastest growing religion . We have no unnecessary rituals like Hinduism , no caste system ,no force conversion like Islam , no belief in angels like Christianity and we are monotheistic unlike Buddhism.
-If you are a Sikh Man , your utmost love should be the Guru and his recitals , and not Girls an cars.
Remember when you will die as a Sikh man/woman , no one will ask after your death what color shoes you wore , how many girls you had or how many times you had bragged about your religion or made fun of others , they will just like to know what you did for the community and manhood in general.

remember , as a sikh , you have the best chance to serve Humanity , no other religion does amount of community service Sikhs do.Sikhs have died for other religions (Guru Tegh Bahadur).. have died for others homelands (Guru Gobind Singh)...have died for Hindutva (Bhagat Singh).Perhaps its the only religion which never fought for themselves.

Its the only religion which never ever bragged about itself ( leave the internet , its for those people who have abundant net access and have that much time saying anything bullshit..).. I am proud being a Sikh , and I may as well like to die for anyone with whom some injustice has happened.

Battle of Thermopilae = Battle Of Chamkaur

300 Greeks fought 1000000 army of xerxis of persia , 40 Sikhs fought 100000 army Of Mughals.Our equations during wars can beat the best in the world.
someone

Scarborough, UK

#15 Jun 23, 2008
Asif khan you are mentality unstable.

Why you do youself a favour and sort out the islam forum. There are lots of anti-islam post there.
Singh

Irvine, UK

#16 Jun 23, 2008
Asif Khan wrote:
Q) If a smelly tramp doesn't cut his hair, does that make him a sikh ?
A) Yes
Also, Guru Gandu Singh didn't die to save hinduism or any other cult, he died cos he was no match for Aurangzeb The Great
Guru Tegh Bahadhur Ji sacrificed himself for the Hindus safety in India. At that time, Aurangzeb tried to make India an Islamic country by forcefully converting everyone to Islam, but he could not convert Guru Tegh Bahadhur Ji, no matter what he did. Guru Tegh Bahadhur Ji told all the innocent Hindus that a great soul may need to be sacrificed, and Gobind Rai (Guru Gobind Singh Ji) said "Who has a greater soul than you" to Guru Tegh Bahadhur Ji. Guru Ji then went for his heavenly abode, he was executed after finishing Japji Sahib and not one drop of blood was spilt after Guru Ji's head was cut off.

And for those Sikhs who cut their hair, it is usually because:

1) You are scared of being bullied/humiliated for growing hair.

2) You have had a bad upbringing by your parents.

3) You have not been taught/are not aware of Sikh History i.e. what the Guru Ji's did for us in the past - which is the ONLY reason why you and me are here today.

Even if a person keeps his/her hair, it is their love for Sikhi that matters at the end of the day and I know many people who have grown their hair and know nothing of Sikhi, and I have also seen people who cut their hair, but love Sikhi so much. All it needs for those who love Sikhi and cut their hair is two things:

Growing your Hair and Taking amrit.

Then in my eyes, you are a Gursikh and I am your servant.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
Annonamous

UK

#17 Aug 4, 2008
Only the baptized and strict sikhs do not cut their hair. Sikhs can cut their hair if they want to.
Annonamous

UK

#18 Aug 4, 2008
In sikhism there are two types of sikhs amritdharis baptized and strict sikhs and sehajdharis the sikhs who don't beleive in keeping long hair.
Hope i helped.
Singhni

Jamaica, NY

#19 Aug 15, 2008
The only point of this life is to attain union with our Guru ji, and those people that cut their Kesh are on a different path and its unfortunate for them that they have been blessed with this human life and they haven't awaken from the lure of maya and have not been blessed with a sangath to guide them though this difficult world. Our Kesh are put strategically on our heads so that they can serve their function of keeping spiritual energy concentrated over our Dasam Duar after we have practiced Naam Simran. But basically, if soooo many people have sacrificed their lives for their Kesh as we hear EVERYDAY in ardas those kids should have some sharam whenever they look at themselves, even non-amritdhari Sikhs.
mughal

Lincoln, UK

#20 Aug 15, 2008
what about girls with mustaches, are they allowed to remove excess body hair to please their husband.
pold

Wahroonga, Australia

#21 Aug 17, 2008
its simple. its a big sacrifice and those that keep it are proud of who they are. it doesnt make them perfect sikhs but if you dont have your hair and are an overall true worshiper and are a pure "khalsa" ur just too weak to be a guru gobind sings sardar. thats that put fair and simple. and those taht keep their hair and act stupidly ie get drunk and hurt people or whatever then your probably worse.

in anycase my friends who have cut their hair have told me honestly.. it was because they didnt like who they were. and i think that sums it up. they cut their hair and they feel different and "normal" which makes them feel better. which i guess is fine. being a sikh is not easy and if u dont want to be one the religion doesn't need u to be one.

fundamentally "believe in god and do the right thing" is the ideal all religions teach so if ur doing that its all good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sikh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
meri mom ko chodo whatsapp group me (Nov '15) 17 hr my mom 48
Jisko Apni Maa-Behan chudwani ho yaha aaye 17 hr my mom 2
News Bearded, turban-wearing Jagmeet Singh would top... 19 hr Scheer new Tory L... 1
Ahmedabad gay bottom reply here. May 25 vinay 4
group sex with bhabi ? drop ur wtsapp? May 22 soorajssb 53
biwi ki adla badli. (Sep '15) May 22 UAE971 183
meri maa behan ko chodo (Mar '15) May 20 Preeti 8,429
More from around the web