Aso sends offering to war shrine

Aso sends offering to war shrine

There are 1 comment on the The Straits Times story from Apr 21, 2009, titled Aso sends offering to war shrine. In it, The Straits Times reports that:

JAPAN'S Prime Minister Taro Aso has sent an offering to a Tokyo war shrine seen by Asian neighbours as a symbol of the country's past militarism, an official at the shrine said on Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Straits Times.

The Reporter

Tokyo, Japan

#1 Apr 26, 2009
What Aso did was better than what many Japanese Prime Ministers have done in the past.

He did not visit, but made an offering. He did not use public funds, as far as we know, and paid for the offering out of his own pocket. Basically, the gesture was more like a private citizen, and not an offical one.

Of course him doing this may have something to do with Japans economic problems and business, as oppose to real remorse for Japans past crimes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shinto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Japan cabinet minister, MPs visit Yasukuni shri... Nov '16 Ainu 8
questions about shinto (Jan '07) Feb '16 redpaws 7
News Japan mourns passing of Tama, the cat stationma... (Jun '15) Jul '15 Kid_Tomorrow 3
News Where Buddhism and Shintoism meet (Feb '15) Feb '15 Hari Shankhar Man... 1
i want to know more about Shintoism? (Oct '14) Oct '14 sher-a -hind 1
News Japan's Princess Noriko of Takamado to marry an... (May '14) May '14 Ainu 1
News Troubled history fuel Japan-China tension (Apr '14) Apr '14 RayH 1
More from around the web