First Prev
of 26
Next Last
Hobie

North Fort Myers, FL

#1 Apr 24, 2013
God Himself kept the Sabbath day:

Genesis 2:1-3
(1) Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
(2) And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
(3) And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Hobie

North Fort Myers, FL

#2 Apr 24, 2013
Adam and Eve kept the Sabbath:

Mark 2:27
(27) And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Note: The Sabbath was made “for man” and when the Sabbath first came into the picture (Genesis 2:1-3) the only man alive then was Adam and his wife Eve. Therefore, the Sabbath was made for them, and for their offspring.
Hobie

North Fort Myers, FL

#3 Apr 24, 2013
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob kept the Sabbath:

Genesis 26:5
(5) Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Note: Many would be surprised to learn that faithful Abraham was also a Sabbath keeper. The above verse states that he obeyed God and kept his commandments. Now lets read some more about the commandments that Abraham kept:

1 Chronicles 16:15-17
(15) Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations;
(16) Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac;
(17) And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant.

Some believe the covenant God made with Abraham was circumcision, but a closer look reveals this was not the covenant, but the “sign” of that covenant:

Genesis 17:7-11
(7) And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
(8) And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
(9) And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
(10) This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
(11) And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

Notice above that circumcision was to be a token (or sign)“of the covenant.” In 1 Chronicles 16, verse 17, we read that the same covenant God made with Abraham was “the same” he made with “Israel for an everlasting covenant. What was the covenant he made with Israel?

Deuteronomy 4:13
(13) And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

Therefore, since the covenant made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was the Ten Commandments, which included the Sabbath, this means they kept the Sabbath.
Hobie

North Fort Myers, FL

#4 Apr 24, 2013
Jesus Christ kept the Sabbath:

Luke 4:16
(16) And he came to Nazareth, where he [Jesus Christ] had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Note: There are three recorded instances where we read that Jesus observed the Sabbath. First, as creator of this world (John 1:3) Jesus observed it in the beginning (Genesis 2:1-3), he observed it during his lifetime (Luke 4:16) and even observed it while in the grave (Luke 23:53-56, 24:1-3) showing that from the beginning of time until the day following his death no change has taken place in the Sabbath. It was neither changed, nor abolished. Jesus was a faithful Sabbath keeper before any ceremonial law ever existed, and even after the ceremonial law has been done away with. True followers of Christ are to "walk even as he walked" - 1 John 2:6.

Since: Aug 10

Pacific Northwest USA

#5 Apr 24, 2013
So, if I stand up and read on Saturday, I've followed Jesus' example and have kept the Sabbath???

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#6 Apr 24, 2013
Christ’s followers kept the Sabbath according to the commandment indicating He never taught them any different.

And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.

And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulcher, and how his body was laid.

And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment.

Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulcher, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulcher. Luke 23:54-56;24:1-2
Remaineth Hebrews 4-9

Brattleboro, VT

#7 Apr 24, 2013
GrammyJoanne wrote:
So, if I stand up and read on Saturday, I've followed Jesus' example and have kept the Sabbath???
you know very well that the main thing about Sabbath is Not working, which you admitted to doing on Saturdays after leaving the SDA church. Sins must be repented of

Pacific Northwest USA

#8 Apr 24, 2013
Remaineth Hebrews 4-9 wrote:
<quoted text>
you know very well that the main thing about Sabbath is Not working, which you admitted to doing on Saturdays after leaving the SDA church. Sins must be repented of
I'm retired and don't go to work on any day. Oh, and show me a verse in the New Testament that says Jesus "rested" on a Sabbath day while here on earth.
JesusWasNOTaJew GoogleIt

Brattleboro, VT

#9 Apr 24, 2013
It's for You to find where He did any work on Sabbath!
Preaching is not the same as 'work' which is why SDA pastors preach on Sabbath and even receive a stipend and of course it's not a violation of the 4th C
Christ did no work on the Sabbath, so He rode into Jerusalem on a donkey on the 1st day of the week.

You may be retired now but you previously admitted here to working on various Sabbaths since you left the church
Doubting Thomas

Vancouver, WA

#10 Apr 24, 2013
GrammyJoanne wrote:
<quoted text>I'm retired and don't go to work on any day. Oh, and show me a verse in the New Testament that says Jesus "rested" on a Sabbath day while here on earth.
-----
Hello GrammyJoanne, Jesus was obedient to all the commandments of God. This is what Jesus did on the Sabbath:
-----
Isaiah 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
-----

We know Jesus kept the Ten Commandments, because He never sinned, also we know how you kept the Sabbath commandment, because He had the pahrasies following Him around trying to find fault with Him.
-----

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

-----
Doubting Thomas

Since: Dec 07

Melbourne, Australia

#11 Apr 24, 2013
Time travels at a different rate, depending on the distance one is from earth.

This the reason that the time on the GPS satellites has to be constantly adjusted.

Doug

Location hidden

#12 Apr 24, 2013
GrammyJoanne wrote:
<quoted text>I'm retired and don't go to work on any day. Oh, and show me a verse in the New Testament that says Jesus "rested" on a Sabbath day while here on earth.
Which of you convinceth me of sin? John 8:46

No one could accuse Christ of Sin.

If Christ did not keep the Sabbath according to the Commandment He would not been the spotless lamb of God.

Are you accusing Christ of Sin?

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:27

If we are Christ sheep we will follow Him and keep the Sabbath.

Pacific Northwest USA

#13 Apr 24, 2013
No record of Jesus EVER resting on the Sabbath:

Matthew 12:1 Jesus picked and ate grain.

Matthew 12:2 Pharisees accused him of doing that which is unlawful on the Sabbath.

Matthew 12:5 Jesus said the priests violated the Sabbath and were INNOCENT.

Matthew 12:8 Jesus declared himself LORD (boss!) of the Sabbath.

Matthew 12:10 Jesus healed the paralytic on Sabbath.

Matthew 12:11-12 Jesus gave the example of rescuing the "ox in the ditch" on Sabbath, and stated that a man is worth more than a sheep.

Matthew 24:20 Pray that your escape not be in winter on a Sabbath (because they were Jews and wouldn't carry their belongings on Sabbath).

Matthew 28:1 The only record of Jesus "resting" over the Sabbath, but He was dead (in the grave).

Mark 1:21-22 Jesus drove out an unclean spirit; taught in the synagogue on Sabbath.

Mark 2:23-24 Mark's account of Jesus picking grain on Sabbath, and the Pharisees' stating He had done what wasn't lawful on the Sabbath.

Mark 2:27 Jesus states the Sabbath was made for [the benefit of] man, not man being made for [the benefit of] the Sabbath.

Mark 2:28 Jesus declared Himself Lord (boss!) of the Sabbath (He has authority to make, administer, and/or CHANGE the rules about Sabbath).

Mark 3:2 Healing on the Sabbath - Watched closely to see if he would do so.

Mark 3:4 Jesus questions,“Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do what is good or to do what is evil, to save life or to kill?” But they were silent.

Mark 6:2 Taught in the synagogue on Sabbath.

Mark 15:42 Resting in the tomb over Sabbath (He rested on Sabbath ONLY in death - no record of other sabbath rests.)

Mark 16:1 Rose on the morning of the first day of the week (Sunday).

Luke 4:16 Stood up to read in the synagogue.

Luke 4:31 Teaching in Capernaum on Sabbath.

Luke 6:1 Picking and eating grain on Sabbath, as He walked through the grainfields.

Luke 6:2 Pharisees accused Him of wrongdoing on the Sabbath.

Luke 6:5 Then He told them,“The Son of Man is Lord (Boss) of the Sabbath.”

Luke 6:6 Healed the paralytic on Sabbath.

Luke 6:7 Scribes and pharisees watched hoping he would heal on the Sabbath, so that they could find a legitimate charge against Him.

Luke 6:9 Lawful to do good on the Sabbath

Luke 13:10 Teaching in the synagogue on the Sabbath.

Luke 13:14 Jesus healed on the Sabbath

Luke 13:15 OK to feed/water your ox or donkey on Sabbath.

Luke 13:16 Untied a woman from Satan's bondage on Sabbath.

Luke 14:1 Another Sabbath controversy involving Jesus.

Luke 14:3 Lawful to heal on the Sabbath.

Luke 14:5 OK to rescue Ox from the ditch on Sabbath.

John 5:9 Jesus healed a man on the Sabbath.

John 5:10 Jews said to the man who had been healed,“This is the Sabbath! It’s illegal for you to pick up your mat.”

John 5:16 Jesus persecuted because He was doing "these things" on Sabbath.

John 5:18 Jews accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath and blasphemy for calling Himself equal with God.

John 7:22-23 Circumcision on Sabbath?

John 9:14 Heasus healed the blind man on Sabbath.

John 9:16 Jews accused that Jesus didn't keep the Sabbath.

LOOKS TO ME LIKE JESUS WAS A BUSY, BUSY GUY ON SABBATH - ZERO RECORD OF ANY SABBATH REST..., NONE!!! So much for that argument!

Location hidden

#14 Apr 24, 2013
GrammyJoanne wrote:
Matthew 12:2 Pharisees accused him of doing that which is unlawful on the Sabbath.
Matthew 12:11-12 Jesus gave the example of rescuing the "ox in the ditch" on Sabbath, and stated that a man is worth more than a sheep.
Matthew 24:20 Pray that your escape not be in winter on a Sabbath (because they were Jews and wouldn't carry their belongings on Sabbath).
Matthew 28:1 The only record of Jesus "resting" over the Sabbath, but He was dead (in the grave).
Mark 1:21-22 Jesus drove out an unclean spirit; taught in the synagogue on Sabbath.
Mark 2:23-24 Mark's account of Jesus picking grain on Sabbath, and the Pharisees' stating He had done what wasn't lawful on the Sabbath.
Mark 2:27 Jesus states the Sabbath was made for [the benefit of] man, not man being made for [the benefit of] the Sabbath.
Mark 2:28 Jesus declared Himself Lord (boss!) of the Sabbath (He has authority to make, administer, and/or CHANGE the rules about Sabbath).
Mark 3:4 Jesus questions,“Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do what is good or to do what is evil, to save life or to kill?” But they were silent.
Mark 15:42 Resting in the tomb over Sabbath (He rested on Sabbath ONLY in death - no record of other sabbath rests.)
Luke 6:1 Picking and eating grain on Sabbath, as He walked through the grainfields.
Luke 6:7 Scribes and pharisees watched hoping he would heal on the Sabbath, so that they could find a legitimate charge against Him.
John 5:10 Jews said to the man who had been healed,“This is the Sabbath! It’s illegal for you to pick up your mat.”
John 5:18 Jews accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath and blasphemy for calling Himself equal with God.
LOOKS TO ME LIKE JESUS WAS A BUSY, BUSY GUY ON SABBATH - ZERO RECORD OF ANY SABBATH REST..., NONE!!! So much for that argument!
So you are accusing Jesus of Sin.

You should have been a member of the Sanhedrin they needed your help at his trial.
Doubting Thomas

Vancouver, WA

#15 Apr 24, 2013
GrammyJoanne wrote:
-----
Hello GrammyJoanne, did Jesus do any carpentry work on the Sabbath?
-----
You have the same idea of the Sabbath that the Jews had.
The busiest day for the Priest and pastors is the Sabbath, this is when they work the hardest.
-----
Doubting Thomas

Pacific Northwest USA

#16 Apr 25, 2013
Doug SDA wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are accusing Jesus of Sin.
You should have been a member of the Sanhedrin they needed your help at his trial.
Not at all! Y'all have said we are to follow Jesus' example because He RESTED on Sabbath, of which there is no record. So obviously, Jesus (Who was WITHOUT sin) didn't feel it was necessary to rest on Sabbath. He Himself said He worked and His Father works.
Doubting Thomas

Vancouver, WA

#18 Apr 25, 2013
GrammyJoanne wrote:
<quoted text>Not at all! Y'all have said we are to follow Jesus' example because He RESTED on Sabbath, of which there is no record. So obviously, Jesus (Who was WITHOUT sin) didn't feel it was necessary to rest on Sabbath. He Himself said He worked and His Father works.
-----
Hello GrammyJoanne, you say we have no record of Jesus resting on the Sabbath, but do you believe Jesus worked in Josephs carpentry shop on the Sabbath?
-----
If He had, the Pharisees would have accused Him of Sabbath breaking for doing so.
-----
We are all supposes to be about our heavenly Fathers business everyday and especially Sabbath.
-----
Doubting Thomas

Location hidden

#19 Apr 26, 2013
GrammyJoanne wrote:
<quoted text>Not at all! Y'all have said we are to follow Jesus' example because He RESTED on Sabbath, of which there is no record. So obviously, Jesus (Who was WITHOUT sin) didn't feel it was necessary to rest on Sabbath. He Himself said He worked and His Father works.
Ministry / doing good on the Sabbath is the Sabbath Rest See Isa 58
AngelFire

Australia

#20 Apr 26, 2013
Doug SDA wrote:
<quoted text>
Ministry / doing good on the Sabbath is the Sabbath Rest See Isa 58
OLD Ministry is now quoted as bringing death in the NT although having once been glorious.

2 Cor 3:6-9 (NIV) He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness!

You can rave on about the Face of Moses as much as you like and still this scripture tells you of the letters in stone, although they came in glory as seen in many OT text, were letters that kill and the basis of an old ministry that brought death. You refuse to acknowledge the obvious and that many Holy days can and have been changed as they are not morals at all, they are ceremonial.

Your entire Sabbo rant hinges on the ridiculous, Adam obeying the Sabbath Day rest. You foolish cultist, you run and evade and can't see you are lost and blinded by doomsaying joy.

"For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses." Romans 5:13-14.

"The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us,[Jews, the children of Israel] who are all of us here alive this day." [1450 BC] Deuteronomy 5:3.

The Letter of Barnabas (of Alexandria)
"We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (Letter of Barnabas 15:6–8 [A.D. 74]).

You'd believe the ranting of pop up dreaming doomsayers with failed prophecy as their Holy credentials over scripture, and then try to justify your existence by pointing the bone of death at anyone you can get your divisive little hands on.

To rest or not rest is ceremonial. A moral is a standard required everyday. Non Sabbos have scripture that states there was NO Mosaic Sabbath keeping law prior to Moses, Adam was not asked to observe any Sabbath when told to go dig dirt, Gods angel protected the murderer Cain, the early church understood the Sabbath day rest was no longer required, and most importantly Sabbos can only offer long winded rhetoric and great leaps of faith to overturn these obvious facts and scriptures.
Lay Worker

Yea, Australia

#21 Apr 26, 2013
AngelFire wrote:
<quoted text>
OLD Ministry is now quoted as bringing death in the NT although having once been glorious.
2 Cor 3:6-9 (NIV) He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness!

"For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses." Romans 5:13-14.

To rest or not rest is ceremonial. A moral is a standard required everyday.

Since the woman of ill-repute of Rev 17 avers
a moral is a standard required every day then
what is penned in the fleshy tables of the heart?

The diakonia that brings rightoeusness does not deny
what is penned in the heart.

So what is precisely engravened on the fleshy heart?

The readers only desire Bible accuracy not another
rant from the woman of ill-repute of Rev 17.

Try harder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
? Is it biblical ? "Garments/Robe of Light" (Dec '10) 2 hr Berrow 20
Rotten Fruit 7th Day Adventist Church 2 hr Lay Worker 39
No seventh day Sabbath in heaven 3 hr Earburner 687
CAN Investigative Judgment be PROVEN (Jan '12) 3 hr Lay Worker 3,191
Is Paul God's Replacement for Judas Iscariot? 4 hr Earburner 1
2300 Day Prophecy (Jun '15) 7 hr Lay Worker 76
BYE BYE KEVIN You HAVE BEEN EXPOSED & CRUSHED!! 9 hr DANNO 1
More from around the web