Now I ask you...
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#1 Nov 13, 2012
All are familiar with these expressions, "You deserved it," or "he deserved it" or "they deserved it." It may have been a promotion or a raise in one's wages or whatever it might be. Do not people judge the worth of a cause by its merits? Do we not accept or reject ideas on account of their having merits or not? In financial matters, schemes, propositions, ideas and plans are rejected or approved according to their merits or demerits, are they not?

Is it not a very natural thing for human beings to treat matters or other human beings according to their merits? People "earn" merits through hard work, dedication, bravery, or through sacrificing whatever it might be. The more merits a person has earned, the more that person is worthy of notice, the more she is honored and the more she becomes the object of our admiration!

Now I ask you, Were not the condescension and humiliation of Christ of value beyond estimate? Was not His sacrificial death most worthy of our notice and admiration? Did not Christ, by His life and death, earn infinite merits? And would it not be fair to ask: In the light of the infinite sacrifice that He made, should not His merits alone be extolled?

Yet, many ask: What are the merits of Christ?

sky
Blackberry

Brampton, Canada

#2 Nov 13, 2012
skyblue888 wrote:
All are familiar with these expressions, "You deserved it," or "he deserved it" or "they deserved it." It may have been a promotion or a raise in one's wages or whatever it might be. Do not people judge the worth of a cause by its merits? Do we not accept or reject ideas on account of their having merits or not? In financial matters, schemes, propositions, ideas and plans are rejected or approved according to their merits or demerits, are they not?
Is it not a very natural thing for human beings to treat matters or other human beings according to their merits? People "earn" merits through hard work, dedication, bravery, or through sacrificing whatever it might be. The more merits a person has earned, the more that person is worthy of notice, the more she is honored and the more she becomes the object of our admiration!
Now I ask you, Were not the condescension and humiliation of Christ of value beyond estimate? Was not His sacrificial death most worthy of our notice and admiration? Did not Christ, by His life and death, earn infinite merits? And would it not be fair to ask: In the light of the infinite sacrifice that He made, should not His merits alone be extolled?
sky
Dan. 12:3

Those who are wise shall shine
Like the brightness of the firmament,
And those who turn many to righteousness
Like the stars forever and ever.

Location hidden

#3 Nov 13, 2012
One of the Reformers, acknowledging his appreciation of the merits of Christ, wrote:

"Father, we had devised for ourselves many useless follies. But You have placed Your Word before me like a torch, and You have touched my heart, in order that I may hold in abomination all other merits save those of Jesus." Martyn, Vol.3, ch.13.

This discovery by the Reformers is said to be the true light:

"As the TRUE LIGHT dawned upon their minds," "they cast themselves wholly upon the MERITS of Jesus." The Great Controversy.74.

sky
Blackberry

Brampton, Canada

#4 Nov 13, 2012
skyblue888 wrote:
One of the Reformers, acknowledging his appreciation of the merits of Christ, wrote:
"Father, we had devised for ourselves many useless follies. But You have placed Your Word before me like a torch, and You have touched my heart, in order that I may hold in abomination all other merits save those of Jesus." Martyn, Vol.3, ch.13.
This discovery by the Reformers is said to be the true light:
"As the TRUE LIGHT dawned upon their minds," "they cast themselves wholly upon the MERITS of Jesus." The Great Controversy.74.
sky
Mat. 24

23 “Then if anyone says to you,‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand.

Location hidden

#5 Nov 13, 2012
The Holy Spirit is the "grace" of God. It is also called "great grace" (Acts 4:33) and this great grace of the Holy Spirit (cannot be excelled) is exceedingly abundant with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus (1 Tim.1:14) and this love is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God.(Rom.5:5; Rom.13:10; Gal.5:6; Rev.14:12)

And the faith by which we become partakers of this "great grace" is the faith that lays right hold upon the all-sufficient MERITS of the Savior.(Rom.3:25)

We must daily apply to the merits of the crucified and risen Savior for His intercession before the Father in our behalf is that of presenting His divine merits.

«Looking unto Jesus and trusting in His MERITS we appropriate the blessings of light and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.» Testimonies, Vol.5,744.

sky
Robert Two

Naracoorte, Australia

#6 Nov 13, 2012
skyblue888 wrote:
The Holy Spirit is the "grace" of God. It is also called "great grace" (Acts 4:33) and this great grace of the Holy Spirit (cannot be excelled) is exceedingly abundant with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus (1 Tim.1:14) and this love is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God.(Rom.5:5; Rom.13:10; Gal.5:6; Rev.14:12)
And the faith by which we become partakers of this "great grace" is the faith that lays right hold upon the all-sufficient MERITS of the Savior.(Rom.3:25)
We must daily apply to the merits of the crucified and risen Savior for His intercession before the Father in our behalf is that of presenting His divine merits.
«Looking unto Jesus and trusting in His MERITS we appropriate the blessings of light and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.» Testimonies, Vol.5,744.
sky
The TESTIMONIES are approved by ANGELS.

Since: Aug 10

Pacific Northwest USA

#7 Nov 13, 2012
skyblue888 wrote:
sky
I'm not disputing the merits of Christ, but thankfully, God does NOT operate on the "merit" system. If He did, we'd all be lost, for sure!

“Jesus is coming again!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#8 Nov 13, 2012
GrammyJoanne wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not disputing the merits of Christ, but thankfully, God does NOT operate on the "merit" system. If He did, we'd all be lost, for sure!
But He does that is why Eve lost eternal life at the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. She needed ... A "Saviour."

We have already done that which hast cost us salvation and we all need Jesus. One must be born again!

bibleuniverse

Pacific Northwest USA

#9 Nov 13, 2012
Signs of the Times wrote:
<quoted text>
But He does that is why Eve lost eternal life at the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. She needed ... A "Saviour."
We have already done that which hast cost us salvation and we all need Jesus. One must be born again!
bibleuniverse
That is not the merit system! We are saved in spite of our lack of merits (or abundance of demerits, whichever way you prefer to look at it).
Blackberry

Brampton, Canada

#10 Nov 13, 2012
skyblue888 wrote:
sky
We can safely say that Ellen White was a fraud because she lied saying, "I was shown, I was shown ..." when it was just her ambitious imagination.

Pacific Northwest USA

#11 Nov 13, 2012
Blackberry wrote:
<quoted text>
We can safely say that Ellen White was a fraud because she lied saying, "I was shown, I was shown ..." when it was just her ambitious imagination.
Or a bad burrito eaten too late at night!

“Adonai YHWH Jesus Saves!”

Since: Jul 12

PRAISE HIM Love Never Fails..

#12 Nov 13, 2012
Signs of the Times wrote:
<quoted text>
bibleuniverse
Where does it say Eve lost eternal life? I thought part of her punishment was having pain in child birth.Also does'nt it state somewhere in the Bible that those before the birth of Christ are saved because they believed?
Robert Two

Australia

#13 Nov 13, 2012
GrammyJoanne wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not disputing the merits of Christ, but thankfully, God does NOT operate on the "merit" system. If He did, we'd all be lost, for sure!
GOD judges CHARACTER & MOTIVE so some have been worthy in each generation.
birdman

Mattoon, IL

#14 Nov 13, 2012
Lori norskigirl wrote:
<quoted text>Where does it say Eve lost eternal life? I thought part of her punishment was having pain in child birth.Also does'nt it state somewhere in the Bible that those before the birth of Christ are saved because they believed?
she lost when she ate is the meaning, and then she needed a Saviour which God said in Gen 3:16, that One would come.

Correct, on before Christ by faith they looked forward and we look back.
Robert Two

Australia

#15 Nov 13, 2012
Lori norskigirl wrote:
<quoted text>Where does it say Eve lost eternal life? I thought part of her punishment was having pain in child birth.Also does'nt it state somewhere in the Bible that those before the birth of Christ are saved because they believed?
This is an interesting topic.
But first solve 1 Cor.7:14 this is a mind bender that can also apply to EVE. Worthy giving much thought to ???

“Adonai YHWH Jesus Saves!”

Since: Jul 12

PRAISE HIM Love Never Fails..

#16 Nov 13, 2012
Robert Two wrote:
<quoted text>
But first solve 1 Cor.7:14 this is a mind bender that can also apply to EVE. Worthy giving much thought to ???
So,this could mean that she was santified through Adam.
However, he partook in eating of the fruit also.They were saved through Christ because they believed. Yes,it is a mind bender :).
What are your thoughts?
Blackberry

Brampton, Canada

#17 Nov 13, 2012
Robert Two wrote:
<quoted text>
In what way can that apply to Eve? Adam became an unbelieving husband.
Ephesians 5 11

Newton Center, MA

#18 Nov 13, 2012
Robert 2 sez
"GOD judges "CHARACTER & MOTIVE"
-whadaya suppose was the Motive of these 3 Characters pictured with EGW? http://api.ning.com/files/sBmBqNitAzxE2Jt3iYn... *JOdNRqGkpXKK7Nw_/ARAI1944P360 3.jpg
Ephesians 5 11

Newton Center, MA

#19 Nov 13, 2012
another version of the same pic with a hopefully working link http://leavethecult.files.wordpress.com/2012/...
Robert Two

Naracoorte, Australia

#20 Nov 13, 2012
Lori norskigirl wrote:
<quoted text>
So,this could mean that she was santified through Adam.
However, he partook in eating of the fruit also.They were saved through Christ because they believed. Yes,it is a mind bender :).
What are your thoughts?
GOD does not say EVE sinned but was DECEIVED. I wonder myself what to do with 1 Cor.??
But it has to mean something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
We Have Never Seen Anything like This... (2017-... 3 min Sitka happy 92
Ellen White Visited other planets? 7 min Teacher 23
Where is an IJ in this Rom. 8:1 14 min Sitka happy 763
Why Do SDAs Disagree With The Jerusalem Decree? 1 hr Sitka happy 273
The Equality of Yahuah 1 hr SamBee 12
Revelation 11:15 2 hr Eyeswideopen 23
Very Uncomfortable Knowing What Other Christian... 11 hr Zog Has-fallen 10
More from around the web