First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robin

Shanghai, China

#1 Mar 30, 2009
the most recent prophecy series had Dwight Nelson as host. Previously, I remember him from Net98.
I have fond memories of his presentation skill and the Holy Spirit moving in him. However.. in this most recent series.. he's like a completely different guy.. like a boxing presenter or something.. sleazy, all-about-hype, and seems like he has a problem with humility. Is this how he used to be? wow..
Robin

Shanghai, China

#2 Mar 30, 2009
seems like he's on drugs..
all the meaningless hand gestures.. Next to Doug.. who is always so composed..
Sam Kennedy

AOL

#3 Mar 31, 2009
He is a showman and is aware of his looks. No depth...tries to be contemporary and be in with the young people. He fails and should get a job as used car salesmen. And that little man Doug with the lisp is a millionaire living high in California,..has his own planes..tells the same old stories over and over. Most viewers are SDA with dishes..very little real "outreach" just a business like Peter Popoff
Robin

Shanghai, China

#4 Mar 31, 2009
Agree with some of that. I think they are both cool guys, but just thought that Dwight had kinda got high on the satellite preaching and hadn't managed to come back down to earth.
Man, how can you talk down about Doug, he's a humble dude who yes, uses some of his stories perhaps too many times, but every single speaker will do that in the world. If a guy always had new stories, would that factor make him the world's best speaker? Think not. We can both agree that the Holy Spirit changes people.

However, your strongest point in my eyes, is that yes, it's truly little outreach. How is it a business? Let's brainstorm a little, how can outreach be done?
Sam Kennedy

AOL

#5 Apr 2, 2009
OK OK only joking! They are both cool guys and are fighting the good fight in their own armor! The church is a business..they get the tithe and then misappropriate it.

Since: Mar 09

China

#6 Apr 2, 2009
Say what. but tithe and offering is free will.. perhaps not as free will as choosing what to wear, but it's still free will. How can you use the word business? Is it the prerogative of business to misappropriate income?:D
BTW, could you state one such misappropriation, and an alternative? I have no insight here..
TIA!
<3
Sam Kennedy

AOL

#7 Apr 3, 2009
They invest the tithe money in STOCKS and have lost MILLIONS in the past 2 years. They have talked ministers out of the old sustentation retirement program, into a stock-market 401k. Most ministers at retirement age must now find a job to supplement. Some leaders fly FIRST CLASS. They sleep in the BEST HOTELS, get huge per diem and travel allowance. Also a bad IRS thing with parsonage allowances. Remember the MILLIONS they lost with the Davenport scandal? All with YOUR tithe.
JC Aint So Mighty

Sunnyvale, CA

#8 Apr 3, 2009
Do you really not see church's as a business?

It's the best business to be in. A tax free business! You don't "produce" anything! No production costs! Marketing is easy, just use scare tactics.

And the best part. You get your reward AFTER this life!!!!!!! Brilliant I say. Just pay now, and you'll live forever, we promise. And we can prove it once you are dead! Freaking brilliant!

There's never been a more successful business line, other than prostitution of course.

Yeah, business all the way.

Shanghai, China

#9 Apr 13, 2009
JC Aint So Mighty wrote:
It's the best business to be in. A tax free business! You don't "produce" anything! No production costs! Marketing is easy, just use scare tactics.
And the best part. You get your reward AFTER this life!!!!!!! Brilliant I say. Just pay now, and you'll live forever, we promise. And we can prove it once you are dead! Freaking brilliant!
There's never been a more successful business line, other than prostitution of course.
I've grown up in small churches, nay, TINY churches. Run by meager funding. It's hard for me to relate to what you said.
J B Good

AOL

#10 Apr 14, 2009
This is how it works: Joe is a mechanic, but struggles, he has good oratorical skills. He now rents a building and begins a church with his own family as charter-members for IRS tax 501(c)(3) benefits. He knocks on doors and works hard after work to invite people to come to church. So he gets 100 members. He preaches powerful sermons that he copies from the Internet..on TITHING. If only 50 of his members pay tithe on an average income of $2500 per month...figure out what Joe gets!! Do you know of any better business?

Shanghai, China

#11 Apr 14, 2009
It's just theoretical.. I don't see this happening, personally. Offerings and tithe (both optional but encouraged) go towards different projects, which are generally known.
Historic Adventist

United States

#12 Apr 14, 2009
The corruption of the leadership of the SDA church is well documented facts.

They sue other SDA's whom they disagree with under the Trade Mark laws in an effort to shut them down. Back in 84 they even went so far as to have a pastor arrested during the sabbath sermon.

And in order to sue under the trademark laws they had to restructure the church into a regular business.

So before you use the words "Seventh-day Adventist" "Ministry" and "Adventist" and "SDA" you must have written permission. I disregard these rules and laws as a direct violation of the Constitution of the United States.

Also, Mr. Doug Batcholer teaches the same as Dr. Kellogg did about God. I have proven this from statements compared from his own words and that of Dr. Kelloggs.

Since: Apr 09

Trenton, GA

#13 Apr 17, 2009
Naked wrote:
Say what. but tithe and offering is free will.. perhaps not as free will as choosing what to wear, but it's still free will. How can you use the word business? Is it the prerogative of business to misappropriate income?:D
BTW, could you state one such misappropriation, and an alternative? I have no insight here..
TIA!
<3
Tithe is not freewill. It is a command of GOD and it is to be used solely for the salary of Gods Ministers. Unfortunately it is also being used for satans ministers too, but that is neither here nor there. Gods messengers will preach the Total Truth, even if it may lose some followers. I believe that Doug's ministry should be financially supported more than it is. Offering is more or less free will but rather than spend money on frivolous pleasures we should invest it in kingdom building. Media ministry is how satan is perpetrating his demonic doctrines around the globe and what are we doing... nit picking about the "few" men we have in a sea full of darkness (lets count them ... tick tock) Lets let GOD see US put our money where our mouth is! It's Babylon out there and God is calling them out are we helping?

GOD BLESS

“Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog!!”

Since: May 08

Ben Lomond, Tasmania

#14 Apr 19, 2009
JC Aint So Mighty wrote:
At least with prostitution you KNOW you're getting f$#ked over for your money!!
Theology Proper

Lehigh Acres, FL

#15 May 13, 2009
Lots of acusations but mostly hearsay.
djconklin

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#16 May 13, 2009
Robin wrote:
seems like he's on drugs..
all the meaningless hand gestures.. Next to Doug.. who is always so composed..
Bunk. I've met Pastor Nelson.
djconklin

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#17 May 13, 2009
>The corruption of the leadership of the SDA church is well documented facts.

Notice how many facts were presented. Typical of the critics--an insinuation is as good as a conviction. Would you like to have them on a jury when you are accused of something?
Historic Adventist

Mountain View, CA

#18 May 16, 2009
djconklin wrote:
>The corruption of the leadership of the SDA church is well documented facts.
Notice how many facts were presented. Typical of the critics--an insinuation is as good as a conviction. Would you like to have them on a jury when you are accused of something?
Go to the SDA's main website, they proudly proclaim their trademark status. All the proof is in news papers, court documents, etc. Or you can continue on with your head in the sand.
djconklin

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#19 May 16, 2009
"proudly" What led you to use that term?

Who said I had my head oin the sand?

Already lost the argument so you have to resort to insults? Very unChristlike--if that's "historic adventism" you can count me out. I don't ever want to be like that.
Trinidad_Adventi st_Gay

Port-of-spain, Trinidad and Tobago

#20 Jun 20, 2009
J B Good wrote:
This is how it works: Joe is a mechanic, but struggles, he has good oratorical skills. He now rents a building and begins a church with his own family as charter-members for IRS tax 501(c)(3) benefits. He knocks on doors and works hard after work to invite people to come to church. So he gets 100 members. He preaches powerful sermons that he copies from the Internet..on TITHING. If only 50 of his members pay tithe on an average income of $2500 per month...figure out what Joe gets!! Do you know of any better business?
This is how you tell when somebody is talking pure nonsense.

The SDA Church is not congregational in structure; therefore tithes are not paid directly to local ministers and you can't start a church of your own and call yourself "SDA"; much like you can't start your own Catholic Church in your basement.

And I still have not gotten to your highly disturbing views about money.

----------
Trinidad. Adventist. Gay?!
http://trinidadsdagay.blogspot.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Scapegoat of Lev 16 Represents Christ, not ... (May '11) 10 min Ben Sass 89
Was Mrs.White Right or Wrong? 35 min Lay Worker 1,217
SDA main PILLAR coming DOWN! 41 min Lay Worker 425
EGW Believed the Atonement Done On the Cross Wa... 3 hr Lay Worker 186
N.C. Dunkin' Donuts bakery sued for religious d... 3 hr DANNO 10
MANY SDA's believe WEDNESDAY Crucifixion, WHY? (Feb '11) 4 hr Ben Sass 3,526
The False Doctrine of 'Once Saved, Always Saved'. 5 hr sitka happy 991
•••

Seventh-day Adventist People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE