Blind Faithiness

Asheville, NC

#2260 Aug 29, 2013
Hey G

Did you see this new study? It looks at the relationship between thinking about science and how this affects morality. It finds that the more people think about science and engage the rational mind, the more likely those people are to act morally.

Story in Scientific American about the study: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

Here's the link to the peer-reviewed journal titled "Does “Science” Make You Moral? The Effects of Priming Science on Moral Judgments and Behavior":
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F1...

Obviously, its only a small piece in the understanding of how people are influenced by being reasoned and rational. Quite interesting, though.

Since: Jan 08

San Mateo, CA

#2261 Aug 29, 2013
HRH Prince George wrote:
<quoted text>
Rocks are non-living things. Everybody knows that. And the ToE states that, inter alia, a certain non-living thing gave rise to living things. That thing is a rock.
But thanks for showing everyone just how ignorant you have to be to be on your side of the argument. The ToE is like an idea based on an idea with a little bit of circumstantial postulates.
You just doubled down on your ignorance, evolution is what happened AFTER life started.

San Mateo, CA

#2262 Aug 29, 2013
skyblue888 wrote:
Are not rocks made of atoms and molecules and if they are pray tell me what is the force that makes them hold together?
Um let me guess, GAWD?

San Mateo, CA

#2263 Aug 29, 2013
jonebgood wrote:
<quoted text>So what is the logical conclusion you are trying to make here, you believe in evolution, and in no god. We believe in creation and in a God who is the Creator,are you trying to convert us to your theology that there is no god, and since man is the top of your evolution scale at present he is then god. Do you profess the same gospel to those who believe the earth was populated by aliens. You are not going to convert anyone here, so what is the point. People have a choice to believe anything they want nothing is new here. I believe in a God who both creates and loves HIs creation. you don't so what. Just before the darkness closes in I have a hope, you have what. What about death you haven't talked about that, tell us what happends when an evolved man dies. There is one thing animals don't do that man does. Murder, oh they fight to have dominance so offspring are stronger, and they kill to eat. But only man can walk down a street in Chicago and shot a baby in the face. How did this murderous trait evolve.
Actually the arguments from us that support the overwhelming evidence for evolution, all biological sciences don't make sense without evolution, are for not the people like you who will not change your thinking no matter how much evidence is provided against it, but those who are on the fence.

Those on the fence can look at our arguments and can see we rely on empirical evidence for our scientific conclusions.

Your arguments begin and end on the word of an ancient book, that no matter how many times it is shown to not be true, you will still cling to it.

San Mateo, CA

#2264 Aug 29, 2013
DBD1 wrote:
(cont)• Brian J.Miller: PhD Physics-Duke U.• Paul Nesselroade: Assoc. Prof. of Psychology: Simpson College • Donald F.Calbreath: Prof. of Chemistry: Whitworth College • William P. Purcell: PhD Physical Chemistry-Princeton U.• Wesley Allen: Prof. of Computational Quantum Chemistry: U. of Georgia • Jeanne Drisko: Asst. Prof., Kansas Medical Center: U. of Kansas, School of Medicine • Chris Grace: Assoc. Prof. of Psychology: Biola U.• Wolfgang Smith: Prof. Emeritus-Mathematics: Oregon State U.• Rosalind Picard: Assoc. Prof. Computer Science: M.I.T.• Garrick Little: Senior Scientist, Li-Cor: Li-Cor • John L. Omdahl: Prof. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology: U. of New Mexico • Martin Poenie: Assoc. Prof. of Molecular Cell & Developmental Bio: U. of Texas, Austin • Russell W.Carlson: Prof. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology: U. of Georgia • Hugh Nutley: Prof. Emeritus of Physics & Engineering: Seattle Pacific U.• David Berlinski: PhD Philosophy-Princeton: Mathematician, Author • Neil Broom: Assoc. Prof., Chemical & Materials Engineeering: U. of Auckland • John Bloom: Assoc. Prof., Physics: Biola U.• James Graham: Professional Geologist, Sr. Program Manager: National Environmental Consulting Firm • John Baumgardner: Technical Staff, Theoretical Division: Los Alamos National Laboratory • Fred Skiff: Prof. of Physics: U. of Iowa
And they are still a miniscule amount of scientists who support the theory of evolution.

Project Steve gathered more scientists named Steve or Stephanie who support TOE than your cut and paste.

Why are philosophy and psychology professors on your list?

And I wonder if the names listed actually dispute the science on evolution? Creationists lying is one of their better tactics.

Of course some of those on the list are from evangelical "universities".

San Mateo, CA

#2265 Aug 29, 2013
HRH Prince George wrote:
<quoted text>
BF, did you catch the latest video in the "Why do people laugh at your Big ToE?" series?
http://youtu.be/9f7Zv18urU0
It's hysterical! This is what you get when they start with the conclusion and then try to fit the evidence around it.
It's funny because it is so bad with it's edits, making Dawkins look like he's stuck for an answer, when in reality it was edited to make it look that way.

But that's about all denialists have, no evidence, just bad editing and total lack of scientific understanding.

San Mateo, CA

#2266 Aug 29, 2013
TIPI wrote:
<quoted text>The real great flood account according to scripture, states that every living thing on earth was killed when the cataclysm of the fountains of the great deep broken up. Noah was instructed as to the construction of an ark which was a compartmentalized wooden container and every creature that he saved and stored the seed of on the ark, was the only life left. After the ark was completed God himself closed Noah in with all the other creatures and the ark was lifted up above the earth until the great flood event was finished and then the waters began to abate and Noah sent out birds from the ark to reseed the entire earth. The power of God and his angels kept Noah and his ark during the flood and it probably wasn't some sort of manmade space ship that they were aboard.
Can you explain how they managed the manure on the "Ark"? How did eight people manage the waste of all "kinds" of animals?

How many animals were on the "Ark".

Since: Sep 12

Clarkston, Wa.

#2267 Aug 29, 2013
Blind Faithiness wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
First, DS are you secretly "the church lady"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TWHOIowtzXAXX
We've shown at least a half dozen times in other threads here where and why Gentry's extrapolations are not the most likely scenarios for the halos(you can go back and look) and why the halos in no way point to a "young Earth", "instantaneous creation", and especially a supernatural creation by the bible god.
So we really have to keep beating the same few dead horses with you guys?
I live very close to where the "halos" are mined and have read a lot of geological and nuclear science reports about the makeup of the mountains I call home. Here's a brief run-down of why Gentry's findings are considered "very unlikely".(I realize that none of you will do any actual research on this or reply with any thoughtfulness to my post, but that's your problem)
-polonium definitely isn't the only radioactive isotope that creates these scars on rocks(if you disagree, tell me WHY[DS will say satan. lol!])
-The rock formation that the halos are found in are not nearly old enough. They lie above much, much older rock.(Don't agree. Tell me WHY)
-Gentry's work, which you two are clearly taking as gospel even though its known your understanding of science is minimal at best, has been repeatedly shown to exclude more likely scenarios and he makes massive leaps of causality, which is a major no-no in science.(Don't agree. Explain WHY.)
Get back to me on those and I'll be happy to discuss more of Gentry with you. But, you should realize that this has been talked about many times and every time your side has shown nothing substantial. WHY?
No I think that
our side has shown substantial evidence and better yet shown logical and commonsens not total bias or even scientific bias but with that we have to take your bias but you don't have to accept ours(WHY). BTW why then has none on your side yet to take Dr.Gentry's challenge?

San Mateo, CA

#2268 Aug 29, 2013
TIPI wrote:
<quoted text>When I was a kid I believed what others told me and I remember one Christmas my older brother bought me an electric guitar when I was about 5 years old and he even found a Santa costume and walked by my window in the snow with presents to make me believe Santa brought them to us. That was a very exciting Christmas for me and my sisters decorated our house and my mother had a Christmas dinner for our whole family that was wonderful. I cried when they took the tree down and my sisters finally told me there was no real Santa and they were just fooling me. I was so confused and didn't know what to believe for a long time until, I finally figured it all out. What I remember today is the happiness and joy of that wonderful Christmas. Today we are in a debate that will show which side is really giving us the facts or misconstruing the real evidence for whatever reasons. The Bible claims to be the truth and the promises within its pages give us all hope of a better place after this life has ended. True happiness is in the hope that Jesus is the way the truth and the life to come.
Your post is of a story that was false and you pursued it to find it was indeed false. Would rather still actually believe that Santa Claus is a real person traveling the world going to every house to deliver presents?

Just because that story made you feel good is no reason to contuing believing it.

I happen to believe the things I believe are true, even if it isn't the most comforting to know.

Sure I would love to live forever, but when I die, I will have the memories I had before I was alive. And that's ok, I have one life and want to make the best of it, no eternal reward will convince me to not pursue what is true.

Your post says it is better to believe something that you have no good reason to believe.

San Mateo, CA

#2269 Aug 29, 2013
2all wrote:
<quoted text> No I think that
our side has shown substantial evidence and better yet shown logical and commonsens not total bias or even scientific bias but with that we have to take your bias but you don't have to accept ours(WHY). BTW why then has none on your side yet to take Dr.Gentry's challenge?
Can you state what the Theory of Intelligence Design is?

Clarkston, Wa.

#2270 Aug 29, 2013
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
I state creation in six days The Lord made the heavens and the earth.
HRH Prince George

Brampton, Canada

#2271 Aug 29, 2013
Lori norskigirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Gunnar, I thought you said you were a teacher? Is this how you behave when your students don't use proper spelling or grammar? Wow...Poor kids.
Beautifully put, Lori! The monkey people should frame your posts and have it always in front of them as soon as they open their eyes in the morning and just before they close their eyes for the night. Their mothers should teach them the meanings, repeating them every day in their hard of hearing ears.
HRH Prince George

Brampton, Canada

#2272 Aug 29, 2013
Pete-o wrote:
<quoted text>
God is our Father; but you consider yourself an accident, a slimy slug crawling aimlessly across the threads of this decent forum.

Clarkston, Wa.

#2273 Aug 29, 2013
Blind Faithiness wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!! The "debate" has been over for literally decades. You've been given ample opportunity to show science related to your claims and all you've shown is conjecture. You failed.
No it just lets you evo's take God out of everything so that you can do" if it feels good do it " how's that workmen for you you say simple faith but reality is the complexity of one single cell of life is more complex then New York City during rush hour so then you evo's want everyone to believe that that happened by chance or natural selection so what is the Likely hood of that happening that all those things coming together at the same time to make a cell or what have you it's like throwing a boom in a pile of logs and expecting a log cabin it just isn't going happen.
David Seal

Stuarts Draft, VA

#2274 Aug 29, 2013
From The Great Controversy, Chapter snares of Satan

"To many, scientific research has become a curse. God has permitted a flood of light to be poured upon the world in discoveries in science and art; but even the greatest minds, if not guided by the word of God in their research, become bewildered in their attempts to investigate the relations of science and revelation.
Human knowledge of both material and spiritual things is partial and imperfect; therefore many are unable to harmonize their views of science with Scripture statements. Many accept mere theories and speculations as scientific facts, and they think that God's word is to be tested by the teachings of "science falsely so called." 1 Timothy 6:20. The Creator and His works are beyond their comprehension; and because they cannot explain these by natural laws, Bible history is regarded as unreliable. Those who doubt the reliability of the records of the Old and New Testaments too often go a step further and doubt the existence of God and attribute infinite power to nature. Having let go their anchor, they are left to beat about upon the rocks of infidelity.
Thus many err from the faith and are seduced by the devil. Men have endeavored to be wiser than their Creator; human philosophy has attempted to search out and explain mysteries which will never be revealed through the eternal ages. If men would but search and understand what God had made known of Himself and His purposes, they would obtain such a view of the glory, majesty, and power of Jehovah that [523] they would realize their own littleness and would be content with that which has been revealed for themselves and their children."
David Seal

Stuarts Draft, VA

#2275 Aug 29, 2013
From The Great Controversy, Snares of Satan

Satan well knows that all whom he can lead to neglect prayer and the searching of the Scriptures, will be overcome by his attacks. Therefore he invents every possible device to engross the mind. There has ever been a class professing godliness, who, instead of following on to know the truth, make it their religion to seek some fault of character or error of faith in those with whom they do not agree. Such are Satan's right-hand helpers. Accusers of the brethren are not few, and they are always active when God is at work and His servants are rendering Him true homage. They will put a false coloring upon the words and acts of those who love and obey the truth. They will represent the most earnest, zealous, self-denying servants of Christ as deceived or deceivers. It is their work to misrepresent the motives of every true and noble deed, to circulate insinuations, and arouse suspicion in the minds of the inexperienced. In every conceivable manner they will seek to cause that which is pure and righteous to be regarded as foul and deceptive.
But none need be deceived concerning them. It may be readily seen whose children they are, whose example they follow, and whose work they do. "Ye shall know them by [520] their fruits." Matthew 7:16. Their course resembles that of Satan, the envenomed slanderer, "the accuser of our brethren." Revelation 12:10.

“Adonai / Ha Mashiach Yeshua ”

Since: Jul 12

PRAISE HIM Love Never Fails..

#2276 Aug 29, 2013
Blind Faithiness wrote:
Look who just can't stay away. Did you come up with a single thing to write related to the topic, lori, while you've been lurking in the shadows? One point or topic to discuss? No? I didn't think you could. Thx for not disappointing.
Notice how not a single person bothered to note you'd left? Ever stop to wonder why?
You add nothing. There has actually been a large increase in the amount of posting since you left.
I have no more interest in a back-ad-forth with you now than before. Just saying...your odd belief that the thread or individuals would suffer without you is clearly another one of your narcissistic dreams. Maybe its time you found a new rock to crawl out from under?
BF,lol...no I haven't "been lurking in the shadows",I have actually been on a amazing vacation.
You should talk,you're the one who can't and won't stay away.

“Adonai / Ha Mashiach Yeshua ”

Since: Jul 12

PRAISE HIM Love Never Fails..

#2277 Aug 29, 2013
Blind Faithiness wrote:
Hey G
Did you see this new study? It looks at the relationship between thinking about science and how this affects morality. It finds that the more people think about science and engage the rational mind, the more likely those people are to act morally.
Story in Scientific American about the study: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
Here's the link to the peer-reviewed journal titled "Does “Science” Make You Moral? The Effects of Priming Science on Moral Judgments and Behavior":
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F1...
Obviously, its only a small piece in the understanding of how people are influenced by being reasoned and rational. Quite interesting, though.
You're kidding right,where would you fall in this study?...
The only behavior I've seen from you is rude and insulting.
Blind Faithiness

Asheville, NC

#2278 Aug 29, 2013
2all wrote:
<quoted text> No I think that
Then explain why, dude. You keep "blah, blah, blahing", but you say nothing of substance. Just yackity-yack.

I laid out 3 very specific points concerning Gentry. You are pretending you understand the science and the arguments, but you haven't shown squat, except your inability to use grammar. If you want to be taken seriously, show us that you aren't just a parrot...or just keep on squawking, 2ool.

Do you understand what the word "assertion" means, little bird?

Gentry's challenge is a hoax. People have met his challenge, but Gentry pretends they haven't(it's well documented if you care to look) and then moves the goalposts back some more. It's standard practice for you folks.

What other nonsense would you like to repeat? Haven't you realized that we've met hundreds of others that say the exact same things you do? You are stale. The statements you've made haven't changed in 2 decades. It's sad, 2ool.
Blind Faithiness

Asheville, NC

#2279 Aug 29, 2013
2all wrote:
<quoted text> No it just lets you evo's take God out of everything so that you can do" if it feels good do it " how's that workmen for you you say simple faith but reality is the complexity of one single cell of life is more complex then New York City during rush hour so then you evo's want everyone to believe that that happened by chance or natural selection so what is the Likely hood of that happening that all those things coming together at the same time to make a cell or what have you it's like throwing a boom in a pile of logs and expecting a log cabin it just isn't going happen.
This makes zero sense, 2ool. Are you high or something?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MANY SDA's believe WEDNESDAY Crucifixion, WHY? (Feb '11) 34 min Gerhard Ebersoehn 3,615
SDA main PILLAR coming DOWN! 2 hr His4everFriend 565
The Blasphemy of Jesus 2 hr Earthcaller 601
The False Doctrine of 'Once Saved, Always Saved'. 3 hr JesusWasNOTaJew -... 1,063
Freemasonry in Adventism (Jul '07) 5 hr RazeSDA 1,003
N.C. Dunkin' Donuts bakery sued for religious d... 7 hr Zog Has-fallen 326
ROM 15: 18 on WORKS ??? (Feb '13) 9 hr DANNO 211

Seventh-day Adventist People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE