Fastest growing church in North America

Fastest growing church in North America

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sniff sniff

Reno, NV

#1 Mar 28, 2011
"Newly released data show Seventh-day Adventism growing by 2.5% in North America, a rapid clip for this part of the world, where Southern Baptists and mainline denominations, as well as other church groups are declining. Adventists are even growing 75% faster than Mormons (1.4 percent), who prioritize numeric growth"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-03...

Since: Aug 08

Christchurch New Zealand

#2 Mar 28, 2011
Sniff sniff wrote:
"Newly released data show Seventh-day Adventism growing by 2.5% in North America, a rapid clip for this part of the world, where Southern Baptists and mainline denominations, as well as other church groups are declining. Adventists are even growing 75% faster than Mormons (1.4 percent), who prioritize numeric growth"
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-03...
It would be interesting to know why it is growing.There will be some reason.
Elder Hall

Ontario, CA

#3 Mar 29, 2011
For the REAL FIGURES, Google a copy of Let The Truth Set Us Free and get the FACTS! Members are leaving the SDA church in Third World Countries at bthe rate of 20,000 per month!
Jonebgood

Abbotsford, Canada

#4 Mar 29, 2011
Whatever the fastest growing "religion" is Islam. Get ready for sharia law and that means "friday laws"
Dennis Fischer

Lincoln, NE

#5 Mar 29, 2011
SDA statistics cannot be relied upon. I personally know of cases when deceased members were still listed as active members many years after their death. Seventh-day Adventist pastors have no incentive to update any records that could reduce membership numbers. It is clearly to their advantage to not update nor to be accurate their statistics. Moreover, most Adventists--notably in the third world--know very little about what they actually are supposed to believe. For example, it has been officially admitted that only about ten percent of the SDA membership in Brazil pays a tithe on their increase.
transplanted fireweed

Benson, AZ

#6 Mar 29, 2011
Elder Hall wrote:
For the REAL FIGURES, Google a copy of Let The Truth Set Us Free and get the FACTS! Members are leaving the SDA church in Third World Countries at bthe rate of 20,000 per month!
Of course, it all depends on what one considers FACTS and whether or not these FACTS come from unbiased, reliable sources (which, if human beings are involved, are still all subject to error, deliberate or accidental), but most of all, it depends on what you WANT to believe. For instance, it is considered to be a fact (subject to all the above, naturally) that people hear and see according to prior experience ... training, culture, upbringing, environment, etc.

Unfortunately, loyal Seventh-day Adventists are going to look for and believe positive things about their church. Ex-Seventh-day Adventists (or non-Seventh-day Adventists) are going to look for and believe negative things about their former fellowship. And neither one may be correct. It's not about numbers; it's not even what we believe. It is WHO we believe in!
KoalaGums

Ashfield, Australia

#7 Mar 29, 2011
Dennis Fischer wrote:
SDA statistics cannot be relied upon. I personally know of cases when deceased members were still listed as active members many years after their death. Seventh-day Adventist pastors have no incentive to update any records that could reduce membership numbers. It is clearly to their advantage to not update nor to be accurate their statistics. Moreover, most Adventists--notably in the third world--know very little about what they actually are supposed to believe. For example, it has been officially admitted that only about ten percent of the SDA membership in Brazil pays a tithe on their increase.
More of the usual SDA takkiyah.
Birdman

Bettendorf, IA

#8 Mar 29, 2011
transplanted fireweed wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, it all depends on what one considers FACTS and whether or not these FACTS come from unbiased, reliable sources (which, if human beings are involved, are still all subject to error, deliberate or accidental), but most of all, it depends on what you WANT to believe. For instance, it is considered to be a fact (subject to all the above, naturally) that people hear and see according to prior experience ... training, culture, upbringing, environment, etc.
Unfortunately, loyal Seventh-day Adventists are going to look for and believe positive things about their church. Ex-Seventh-day Adventists (or non-Seventh-day Adventists) are going to look for and believe negative things about their former fellowship. And neither one may be correct. It's not about numbers; it's not even what we believe. It is WHO we believe in!
A very good reply, some want to know why I still am a SDA even though I dont believe some of their FBs.

I have many friends that know me, I do not try to push off my thinking on some subjects, but I do ask questions and ask why?

Since: Aug 10

Pacific Northwest USA

#9 Mar 29, 2011
Let me just say, my husband and 3 baptized children were on the SDA rolls and included in their membership statistics for 10 years after we stopped attending. We finally sent a "resignation" letter and officially had our names removed. Because of this and other reasons, I seriously doubt the validity of their membership statistics.
TheSaberOfGod

UK

#10 Mar 29, 2011
GrammyJoanne wrote:
Let me just say, my husband and 3 baptized children were on the SDA rolls and included in their membership statistics for 10 years after we stopped attending. We finally sent a "resignation" letter and officially had our names removed. Because of this and other reasons, I seriously doubt the validity of their membership statistics.
The Lord has instructed me to help you.

Tell me 1 thing you are seeking from God or desire of God in your

life.

And I will help you get it.

As long as it is within his instructions to me

concerning what he will do for you.
Jonebgood

Abbotsford, Canada

#11 Mar 29, 2011
I can remember evangelistist meetings coming to town, and if there are no new converts, lets just get some members who havent been to church in a while make them feel guilty and rebaptize them. Keeps the numbers up.

Since: Jan 11

Jackson, TN

#12 Mar 29, 2011
Dennis Fischer wrote:
DF,

You really need to do your own research for you seem to have absolutely no knowledge of the SDA Church. The pastor doesn't updates the church role. This duty falls under a separate office.

Where is your proof in these allegations you stated?

Since: Aug 10

Pacific Northwest USA

#13 Mar 29, 2011
Mr_Know it all wrote:
<quoted text>
DF,
You really need to do your own research for you seem to have absolutely no knowledge of the SDA Church. The pastor doesn't updates the church role. This duty falls under a separate office.
Where is your proof in these allegations you stated?
Hey, where do you think that "separate office" gets their numbers? You guessed it - from the local churches. You might need to do a little research, yourself!
Elder Hall

United States

#14 Mar 29, 2011
According to Let The Truth, it was the GC (Dr Cress) who said they lost 300,000 members in North America...I have VERIFIED this. I have ALSO verified the statements of Cooper and Finley about the 1.4 MILLION Seventh-day Adventsts who left. So Dr Pieter seems to be spot on correct...and so is the rest of Let The Truth Set Us Free!
Rockroller

Yucaipa, CA

#15 Mar 29, 2011
Jonebgood wrote:
Whatever the fastest growing "religion" is Islam. Get ready for sharia law and that means "friday laws"
I suppose that the NEXT fasted growing religion will be called "Christlems". After all, didn't Paul become what ever people wanted him to in order to win them over to his own gospel?
His4everfriend

Chetwynd, Canada

#16 Mar 29, 2011
As I recall it is the duty of the Church clerk to enroll new members by baptism or proffession of faith and enter them into the books. When a member apostacises or leaves for other reasons the names are commonly left on the books unless the member requests them to be removed. Why would we remove them without their consent?

If a member does not remove their name they often remain in lymbo [ likely longer in larger churches where they are not so easily identified ] until at a latter date they are brought up to a board meeting to be discussed.

The main reason that I suspect that a name could remain on the books for 10 years [ as stated elsewhere] is that the church elects new officers for the duties of the church on a yearly bassis. The new office has a learning curve and the new clerk may not even know the person or that someone is not attending church. How would they in a large church. There is no record stating that John Doe used to go to this church other than the membership record. If they do not remove their names and they are not in attendance then we have no idea if they moved or where they are. Smaller churches seem to be much more on top of this and while many larger churches have small groups that are on top of this... sadly... people can fall through the cracks especially in larger churches where they are not as easily missed simply because of the numbers. This is an ongoing struggle for large churches of all denominations. This is a struggle for every church.

So like any human run organization we are all imperfect and there is often the "unknown" factor. I think that we all have to watch for the lost sheep...

His4everFriend
Rockroller

Yucaipa, CA

#17 Mar 29, 2011
His4everfriend wrote:
As I recall it is the duty of the Church clerk to enroll new members by baptism or proffession of faith and enter them into the books. When a member apostacises or leaves for other reasons the names are commonly left on the books unless the member requests them to be removed. Why would we remove them without their consent?
If a member does not remove their name they often remain in lymbo [ likely longer in larger churches where they are not so easily identified ] until at a latter date they are brought up to a board meeting to be discussed.
The main reason that I suspect that a name could remain on the books for 10 years [ as stated elsewhere] is that the church elects new officers for the duties of the church on a yearly bassis. The new office has a learning curve and the new clerk may not even know the person or that someone is not attending church. How would they in a large church. There is no record stating that John Doe used to go to this church other than the membership record. If they do not remove their names and they are not in attendance then we have no idea if they moved or where they are. Smaller churches seem to be much more on top of this and while many larger churches have small groups that are on top of this... sadly... people can fall through the cracks especially in larger churches where they are not as easily missed simply because of the numbers. This is an ongoing struggle for large churches of all denominations. This is a struggle for every church.
So like any human run organization we are all imperfect and there is often the "unknown" factor. I think that we all have to watch for the lost sheep...
His4everFriend
Yes, this is very, very true!
transplanted fireweed

Benson, AZ

#19 Apr 2, 2011
His4everfriend wrote:
His4everFriend
Well stated! Church attendance isn't always an accurate measure of someone's spiritual condition. So, in my opinion, there is really no need for church "membership" in the first place. In fact, I think "numbering Israel" has serious pitfalls. The history of literal Israel can verify that. The body of Christ is made up of people who love God who may be worshiping him in every denomination or in no denomination, so these "records" are really redundant. God knows who are his. The only "book" we need our names on is God's Book of Life, and only God knows whose names are there.
Jeffersonbc

Australia

#20 Apr 2, 2011
I don't know where USA Today gets its stats from, but I believe the main reason for the growth of the SDA church in the USA is due to the immigration of Hispanics from Central and South America.

Unfortunately a lot of modern SDA churches are deemphasizing world mission in their Sabbath Schools - a move which if continued will reverse any positive growth trends.
krisp

Capitol Heights, MD

#21 Apr 26, 2011
I find it so interesting that there have been so many negative comments regarding Seventh-day Adventists however no one is addressing the claim that the other "mainline" churches are declining. That has nothing to do with Seventh-day Adventist growth. Why be a scoffer? Just state fact without the criticism and move on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does believing save you 4 min Lay Worker 610
SDA Vegetarian Health Message Debunked In Acts ... 34 min Yeshua Enjoyed Ta... 138
The 7th Day: Fact and Fiction 1 hr sitka happy 2,565
SDAs Deny Jesus Ate Fish and Lamb 1 hr sitka happy 6
What commandments, laws, and statutes did Abra... (Aug '08) 15 hr Saved By Grace 104
EB & EWO hates marriage? 17 hr sitka happy 24
Probation Closes for Seventh Day Adventist At T... (Jul '11) 18 hr Zog Has-fallen 851
More from around the web