How Does a Person Keep the Sabbath Da...

How Does a Person Keep the Sabbath Day Holy?

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Minister4Jesus

Mosman, Australia

#1 Mar 7, 2010
Anyone care to tell me... what does the bible say exactly how a person keeps the Sabbath day Holy?

Does it say you need to fellowship with someone or many?

Is 2 people getting together on a Saturday, spending the day together, reading bible, and singing etc considered keeping the Sabbath Day Holy?

Do Adventists believe that just because they roll out of bed on a Saturday morning, get dressed in their suits and ties (which are pagan in origin btw) and the ladies out on their dresses and walk/drive to a building, give their tithe, read bible, hear a sermon, sing.... that they are now perfectly keeping the Sabbath Day Holy?

Do Adventists believe that because they do that, they are saved, but if 2 people stayed at home and did the same thing, that they are not keeping the Sabbath Day Holy?

Do Adventists believe their extra effort to walk/drive to a larger building than someone's home with a larger group of people than 2, that they are saved, and the others are lost?

Do you believe that if a Baptist for example, someone who genuinly has faith in Jesus, is lost because they do not attend a large building every Saturday?

Do you believe that keeping the Sabbath or not keeping the Sabbath will not make someone saved or lost even if they trust in Jesus as their Lord and Saviour?

Most Adventists will admit there will be some Catholics and Baptists etc in heaven, so does that mean you don't believe personal Sabbath keeping is essential for salvation?

Just curious... tell me, every Adventist who reads this... I am sincerely wondering how you view the Sabbath Day.

Thank you.
messenger4truth

Reno, NV

#2 Mar 7, 2010
minister4denial

"Anyone care to tell me... what does the bible say exactly how a person keeps the Sabbath day Holy?"

m4t>
It's called rest, not really tough yields up a blessing of healing to.
messenger4truth

Reno, NV

#3 Mar 7, 2010
Adventists do follow Christ in his interpretation of what is lawful on the sabbath.

Luke 6v9
Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy [it]?

Mat 12v12
How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
Minister4Jesus

Mosman, Australia

#4 Mar 7, 2010
messenger4truth wrote:
minister4denial
"Anyone care to tell me... what does the bible say exactly how a person keeps the Sabbath day Holy?"
m4t>
It's called rest, not really tough yields up a blessing of healing to.
So you mean anyone who rests on Saturday are keeping the Sabbath day Holy? Rest could be sitting around all day, sleeping, having a picnic etc, right?
messenger4truth

Reno, NV

#5 Mar 7, 2010
messenger4truth wrote:
Adventists do follow Christ in his interpretation of what is lawful on the sabbath.
Luke 6v9
Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy [it]?
Mat 12v12
How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
Read Jesus?
Minister4Jesus

Mosman, Australia

#6 Mar 8, 2010
messenger4truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Read Jesus?
You are being incoherent again. Medication making you drowsy?
Sonja

Gallipolis, OH

#7 Jun 12, 2010
I too have been searching for answers on how one should keep the Sabbath and if it pertains to Christians. The answers that I have found are these:

1. God made the Sabbath for man, not man for the Sabbath

2. It is the 7th day of the week (look at your calendar and it will show you exactly when the 7th day is)God didn't move the days of the week. He didn't name them, he called them day 1, day 2, ect.

3. The seventh day is the only day God set apart and sanctified

4. There are still major consequences for not keeping the Sabbath.(death)

5.The Sabbath was even instituted before the 10 Commandments were given to Moses, and was so important that God told Moses to write it down with the commandments, which if you truly study, you will see all the commandments were given in the very beginning (orally) they were just not written until Mt. Siani.

6. What are the consequences for breaking any of the commandments? Is it not always death?

7. It does not matter what we think, or what we feel in our hearts, it always and will always be what God has stated in his words, for he is the word (Torah) made flesh and he changes not, so that means that not one jot nor one tiddle will ever change, what he instituted from the beginning will be the same until the end. He hasn't done anything new, it has always been a blood covenant, but now he shed his own blood to save us, what happened in Acts 2:38 is the same thing that took place at Mt. Sinai

8. It has never been about man made doctrines, buildings, it is about following the word of God to the very letter in obedience. It does not matter if you attend church every time the door is open, if you pay your tithes, dress a certain way, what matters is if you are obeying God. If you aren't then it doesn't matter what church you are associated with, you are not in the will of God. If you are not in the will of God then how can you believe you are saved?

9 What did God say about being saved? Did he say repeat this prayer after me? Did he say you could never lose your salvation? NO, he did not. He said to repent, be baptized in the name of Jesus, and you SHALL receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God for God is a Spirit there is only one spirit and he will manifest himself in whatever form he deems necessary. It was a cloud, a fire, the breathe in the Tabernacle, and as Yeshua the Messiah, the word made flesh and he followed all the words of the bible, not just the ones written in red, for they were not even written while he was on the earth, he followed the Torah, his own words and he kept the Sabbath and he got very angry with those who added to and took from his words. The Pharisees and the Rabbis had added their own laws to his which was making it a burden for the children to keep the Sabbath and God condemned them for that. They had not only added to what he had commanded his people to do, but also changed his feasts and festivals by mixing them with the pagan traditions of the nations they had conquered in searching for the promised land.

To keep the Sabbath Holy is to spend it with your family teaching your children the way they should go in God's ways. Not doing the everyday normal work you do 6 days a week. You don't make others work for you by eating out, shopping, ect. you are to read and study his word, pray, teach others on this day. A day devoted to only God. The only stipulations that God had was not starting a fire(cooking) on this day, you are to prepare in advance, you don't do house work, ect. It is about spending time with God, and giving your body the rest it needs to be healthy. It his about doing God's will, helping others if they are in need. He healed on that day and did good deeds. We are to study, search the scriptures to show our selves approved. Just be careful to not let the traditions of men get between you and God. If you are filled with his spirit he will guide you in all his ways and will open your eyes and your heart to him.
God Bless
Sonja

Gallipolis, OH

#8 Jun 12, 2010
I missed the part about how many makes a group. The bible says where 2 or three are gathered n my name there I shall be in the mist of them,(paraphrasing)

The main focus of the Sabbath should be about spending time with God in prayer, study, being with family.

Here are the names of some teachers I trust that will guide you correctly, but you need to search the scriptures for yourself, not rely on man to tell you anything. They can give you a direction to go, but you have to ask God to guide you, man can lead you astray and not really intend to.

Brad Scott, Wild Branch Ministries

Bill Cloud, Shoreshim Ministries

They have programs on God's Learning Channel. They have a great book store that have several books on the subject of the Sabbath. I hope this helps.

I too still have issues on how exactly to observe the Sabbath because my Husband is not a believer and it seems he just tries himself. He wants to go eat out, go to the movies, ect and this makes it hard for me because it causes confusion for the kids. I am having to learn to just put my foot down and if he gets mad then that is between him and God. I am not perfect, but I love God and I truly want to do his will.
djconklin

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jun 12, 2010
Sonja wrote:
I too have been searching for answers on how one should keep the Sabbath and if it pertains to Christians. The answers that I have found are these:...
Thank you, Sonja!
Guardian

Denver, CO

#10 Jun 14, 2010
Amos 8:5 Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit?

Revelation 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Isaiah 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath,[from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words: 14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken [it].

Mark 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man,

Ester 9:22 As the days wherein the Jews rested from their enemies, and the month which was turned unto them from sorrow to joy, and from mourning into a good day: that they should make them days of feasting and joy, and of sending portions one to another, and gifts to the poor.

Luke 6:9 Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy [it]? 10 And looking round about upon them all, he said unto the man, Stretch forth thy hand. And he did so: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

Luke 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; 7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
IT IS FINISHED AT CALVARY

Sydney, Australia

#11 Jun 14, 2010
Sonja wrote:
4. There are still major consequences for not keeping the Sabbath.(death)
Sonja, that comment by you has exposed you as a false witness and a false teacher of legalism. Ironically, it is YOU who will be lost now because there are major consequences for teaching others that grace is not enough to save us and that we also need to add to salvation by our Sabbath works. And there are major consequences for you because you have rejected the GIFT of salvation and now try to attain your salvation by your own works.

Romans 4:1-6
1What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? 2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

4Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. 5However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. 6David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

Sonja, the same deceptive and misleading and bewitching gospel that Paul rebuked in Galatians 3, is the exact same deceptive and misleading and bewitching gospel that you and SDA teach today.
Guardian

Denver, CO

#12 Jun 14, 2010
IT IS FINISHED AT CALVARY wrote:
<quoted text>
Sonja, that comment by you has exposed you as a false witness and a false teacher of legalism. Ironically, it is YOU who will be lost now because there are major consequences for teaching others that grace is not enough to save us and that we also need to add to salvation by our Sabbath works. And there are major consequences for you because you have rejected the GIFT of salvation and now try to attain your salvation by your own works.
Romans 4:1-6
1What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather, discovered in this matter? 2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."
4Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. 5However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. 6David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
Sonja, the same deceptive and misleading and bewitching gospel that Paul rebuked in Galatians 3, is the exact same deceptive and misleading and bewitching gospel that you and SDA teach today.
False Witness!
Big Brother

Cape Town, South Africa

#13 Jun 14, 2010
Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
False Witness!

Why?
Sambee

Tuscaloosa, AL

#14 Jun 14, 2010
Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
False Witness!
Explain how she is a false witness.

Sydney, Australia

#15 Jun 14, 2010
She is a false witness because she said:

"4. There are still major consequences for not keeping the Sabbath.(death)"

That is legalism! She is indicating that personal sabbath keeping works is essential for salvation, if not, that means the consequences are DEATH and being lost!

She is a typically brainwashed legalistic Adventist! She is in Babylon which means legalism! She contradicts the bible!
Guardian

Denver, CO

#16 Jun 14, 2010
Sambee wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain how she is a false witness.
I did not say that of Sonja.

Sydney, Australia

#17 Jun 14, 2010
Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
I teach that Jesus is Lord, The True Messiah, God in the Flesh, Saviour, Lamb, The Christ.. and only through Him is salvation to be found, by grace alone, by faith in Jesus.

I teach the gospel of justification, sanctification and righteousness by faith alone.

But now you and Adventists call me a child of Satan and claim I am a false witness.

The Pharisee's did the same to Jesus, and the SDA is the 21st Century representation of the Pharisee's. Both camps were legalistic about the Sabbath and both camps condemned everyone else to Satan. The same legalistic and self-righteous spirit that led the Pharisee's is the exact same spirit that leads the Adventists.
Sambee

Tuscaloosa, AL

#18 Jun 14, 2010
Guardian wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me then, I misread and thought you were speakinhg of her.I see it was It's Finished.

Sydney, Australia

#19 Jun 14, 2010
Sambee wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me then, I misread and thought you were speakinhg of her.I see it was It's Finished.
Jesus said it's Finished at Calvary, but Adventists say NO, it's NOT Finished!

Who do you want to believe? SDA or Jesus?

Your choice is made and now you will face the consequences.
Earburner

Haverhill, MA

#20 Jun 15, 2010
IT IS FINISHED AT CALVARY wrote:
<quoted text>
I teach that Jesus is Lord, The True Messiah, God in the Flesh, Saviour, Lamb, The Christ.. and only through Him is salvation to be found, by grace alone, by faith in Jesus.
I teach the gospel of justification, sanctification and righteousness by faith alone.
But now you and Adventists call me a child of Satan and claim I am a false witness.
The Pharisee's did the same to Jesus, and the SDA is the 21st Century representation of the Pharisee's. Both camps were legalistic about the Sabbath and both camps condemned everyone else to Satan. The same legalistic and self-righteous spirit that led the Pharisee's is the exact same spirit that leads the Adventists.
AMEN!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seventh-day Adventists Versus Seventh-day Shube... 44 min Zog Has-fallen 24
The Mark of the Beast is Imminent! 49 min JesusWasAJew -Goo... 350
The 70 Week Prophecy of Daniel 54 min JesusWasAJew -Goo... 159
Who Really is God? 1 hr SamBee 113
What Does God Hate? 1 hr SamBee 7
Sabbath vs Meat 1 hr SamBee 26
Flaws in What You Believe? 4 hr True or False 18
More from around the web