Dance and the SDA Church
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Mrock

Edson, Canada

#1 Aug 23, 2009
Hi,

I am thinking of attending the seventh-day Adventist Church in my area bt am worried that they won't accept me because I love to dance. I have heard that this church does not permit its members to dance, is that true? I am talking about classical ballet and tap and sometimes flamenco. I don't do jazz or hip hop or anything sexual and I don't go to clubs and dance or anythign like that. In ballet class we wear just leotards (bodysuits) and tights. I do it recreationally but sometimes perform on stage with the ballet company too. If someone could clarify the stance on dance (lol) within the church I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Sam Kennedy

AOL

#2 Aug 23, 2009
OK we will allow you to dance so long as you don't touch someone. We do the same thing with Sabbath-swimming..only wade and no real swimming. We also do not allow jewelry..unless the GC has changed the rules again! The Church of God Seventh Day allow dancing and the drinking of some wine to loosen up a little. We are not a very happy bunch because we constantly worry if our names had come up in the Invertigative Judgment or not. We also strongly discourage the lifting of the hands to worship..that may lead to speaking in tongues or accessive praising. s
Christiana

United States

#3 Aug 23, 2009
Matt 6:33 "seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness;..."
Blind Faithiness

Savannah, GA

#4 Aug 23, 2009
Mrock wrote:
Hi,
I am thinking of attending the seventh-day Adventist Church in my area bt am worried that they won't accept me because I love to dance. I have heard that this church does not permit its members to dance, is that true? I am talking about classical ballet and tap and sometimes flamenco. I don't do jazz or hip hop or anything sexual and I don't go to clubs and dance or anythign like that. In ballet class we wear just leotards (bodysuits) and tights. I do it recreationally but sometimes perform on stage with the ballet company too. If someone could clarify the stance on dance (lol) within the church I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
DANCE!!

Heck NO you can't be SDA and dance. Did Jesus dance? NO! Did EGW dance? NO, although some of her 'fits' could be mistaken.

We don't dance. And we especially don't flamenco dance.

Watch out, people! The devil is out to get you and he'll use any method he can. Even dancing!!!
Earthcaller

Orlando, FL

#5 Aug 24, 2009
This is the problem that most SDAs have they confuse the norms of the church with the principals of the Bible which deal with the law of God. I don't dance but I do play Flamenco guitar. I studied with Mario Escudero in New York for 6 years.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#6 Aug 24, 2009
Earthcaller wrote:
.... I don't dance but I do play Flamenco guitar. I studied with Mario Escudero in New York for 6 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AqHuFQ4cHEAXX
Music, one of the several forms of intelligence. I'm impressed Earthy...
Interesting video clip as well.
Michael Gavi

Tracy, CA

#7 Aug 24, 2009
I am grading the content of the sites according to love towards one another
this one gets F-

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#8 Aug 24, 2009
Michael Gavi wrote:
I am grading the content of the sites according to love towards one another
this one gets F-
Now if I was you I would give up now for most of the threads would get a F- somewhere along the way :-)
mrock

Calgary, Canada

#9 Aug 25, 2009
Um, okay so basically the sda church will not accept me. I guess I'll have to look at another denomination.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#10 Aug 25, 2009
Mrock,

I'd do some 'church shopping' around Calgary if I were you. Go and visit a church for a few weeks and observe it, then another. There are many protestant churches that will accept people who "love the Lord" and not place conditions on them to follow, for them to be a member.

The SDA church traditionally is a place for fundamental believers rather than conservative believers. It really depends upon how comfortable you feel while you're worshiping with others. The SDA church hasn't done that for me for a long time.
birdman

Davenport, IA

#11 Aug 25, 2009
Mrock--- If I was you I would still go to worship the Lord on the Sabbath it is not up to the people to judge what you do on your time.
look at the OT. I think they did something like that back then and if someone objects tell them to show you in the Bible and it only whewre you are wrong, the one who gave you advice about going to sun-day church is wqrong.
Lay Worker

United States

#12 Aug 25, 2009
Mrock

The call is now to come out of the SDA apostasy. See Matt 25.... The call is to now leave the corporatre denominatinal churches, and to go forth to meet the Bridegroom and it would be best to set aside penses advice for ever. His witty charm is deadly afor he has ideas of worldy wisemen and proffers men and women here the wosdom of the world and he is delinquent when it comes to the Scriptures.

Gods word is not often confortable - comfort and ease notions set forth here are irrelevant for the Bible has much to say against those notions - hence you really need to watch what these pretenders who write here have to share!
Sambee

Tuscaloosa, AL

#13 Aug 25, 2009
Mrock wrote:
Hi,
Scripture states David danced before Yahweh.
Earthcaller

Orlando, FL

#14 Aug 25, 2009
Ce que je pense wrote:
<quoted text>
Music, one of the several forms of intelligence. I'm impressed Earthy...
Interesting video clip as well.
Yeshua said come as you are and the SDA church puts conditions on people. If you are a smoker they expect you to stop after baptism. That is why Adventists need to seek the Lord and forget the leaders who have replaced Yeshua. They the leaders just as the ancient leadership of Israel are the supposed arbitrators of truth that want to replace the holy spirit. That is why there is so much useless legalism in the SDA church as well as outside. Yeshua was never legalistic. SDAs are too uptight about everything especially the arts.

Location hidden

#15 Aug 25, 2009
mrock wrote:
Um, okay so basically the sda church will not accept me. I guess I'll have to look at another denomination.
Hi "mrock",

Why would you even take the advice of any on this forum? They are just people! They are not God. Pray and listen to the Holy Spirit speak to you and He shall lead you and guide you in the way you need to go.

Pray always without ceasing. God will NEVER fail you.

Location hidden

#16 Aug 25, 2009
mrock wrote:
Correction to my previous statement "mrock" :-)

Hi "mrock",

Why would you even take the advice of any on this forum? They are just people! They are not God. Pray to God and listen to the Holy Spirit speak to you and He shall lead you and guide you in the way you need to go.

Lay Worker

United States

#17 Aug 25, 2009
CINDERS wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi "mrock",
Why would you even take the advice of any on this forum? They are just people! They are not God. Pray and listen to the Holy Spirit speak to you and He shall lead you and guide you in the way you need to go.
GREAT
just great
we wont take your advice either

Location hidden

#18 Aug 25, 2009
Lay Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT
just great
we wont take your advice either
Thank you Lay Worker.

Tell me what is so wrong with not taking the advice of man over God and allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to "mrock's" heart to guide and lead.

Why did you take my comment so personally?

I will say again to "mrock" and to anyone who is truly searching for truth and wisdom .... Why would you even take the advice of any on this forum? They are just people! They are not God. Pray to God and listen to the Holy Spirit speak to you and He shall lead you and guide you in the way you need to go. Pray always without ceasing. God will NEVER fail you.

Lay Worker I have faith that God will never fail me and His Holy Spirit is ever presence with those who ask freely and abundantly of Him to guide them into ALL truth and wisdom and choices in life.
birdman

Davenport, IA

#19 Aug 25, 2009
Mrock--- Cinders told you right #16, let the Holy Spirit convince you and not people for we are all sinners needing Grace.
Lay Worker

United States

#20 Aug 25, 2009
CINDERS wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Lay Worker.
Tell me what is so wrong with not taking the advice of man over God and allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to "mrock's" heart to guide and lead.
Why did you take my comment so personally?
I will say again to "mrock" and to anyone who is truly searching for truth and wisdom .... Why would you even take the advice of any on this forum? They are just people! They are not God. Pray to God and listen to the Holy Spirit speak to you and He shall lead you and guide you in the way you need to go. Pray always without ceasing. God will NEVER fail you.
Lay Worker I have faith that God will never fail me and His Holy Spirit is ever presence with those who ask freely and abundantly of Him to guide them into ALL truth and wisdom and choices in life.
Thats the whole point - and can you even explain how BIRDMAN could not see the Two I AM's in Rev 1?

People here merely asked to review the Scriptures and in the case of Birdman - what is marvellous is how preconceived opinions rule the mind and light cannot enter and he cannot see TWO I AM's in Rev 1 without having to be shown by mene!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HOW and WHEN will sinners be JUDGED? 8 min Earburner 11
CAN Investigative Judgment be PROVEN (Jan '12) 5 hr Lay Worker 3,570
Did High Priests investigate sins 5 hr Lay Worker 57
Sabbath Views From a New Adventist 8 hr Shadrach 383
The Israeli Sabbath was NOT made for mankind / ... (Mar '15) 9 hr Shadrach 917
TheLordsAnointed vs ALL BIBLE BELIEVERS 10 hr Dusk 19
Poll Where was Jesus' Spirit for 3 Days? 11 hr Gerhard Ebersoehn 216
More from around the web