Granny--- Matt 24:40-42
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
birdman

Arthur, IL

#1 Jun 25, 2012
Matt. 24:40 "shall be taken" means to receive to oneself as Christ did of the Disciples.

V39 "took" here means to carry off or remove

One must remember chap. 24 is all about the return of our Saviour, where all shall see His coming.[v27, 30, 39, 42,46,48, 50]

With "taken" and "took" explained to be "left" are those who rejected Christ or all evil ones as Scripture says.

"left" meaning is send away or dismiss.[dan. 12:2 matt 25.:46]

V42 explains that we should always be watching and to know the signs that Christ gave us.

As Christians we should be doing the work to bring others in, for no-one knows the hour of His Coming.

Hope this helps
birdman

Arthur, IL

#2 Jun 26, 2012
Granny must not like the explaining here?

She asked.
Jersey

Ooltewah, TN

#3 Dec 5, 2012
birdman wrote:
Matt. 24:40 "shall be taken" means to receive to oneself as Christ did of the Disciples.
One must remember chap. 24 is all about the return of our Saviour, where all shall see His coming.[v27, 30, 39, 42,46,48, 50]
With "taken" and "took" explained to be "left" are those who rejected Christ or all evil ones as Scripture says.
V42 explains that we should always be watching and to know the signs that Christ gave us.
As Christians we should be doing the work to bring others in, for no-one knows the hour of His Coming.
Hope this helps
So you say it is the church who is taken in these verses?

I don't know your background, but I hope you believe in the whole Bible including the Gospel of Luke.

Luke 17:37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together .(KJV)

So here we see that wherever the taken ones were taken to, they are dead. So if it is the church being taken in this account, why are we dead if when Jesus comes for us it is to take us to eternity?
Jersey

Ooltewah, TN

#4 Dec 5, 2012
I'm sure this throws a wrench in your way of looking at these verses, but you can't just ignore what the Word of God says. Especially when the words are spoken by Jesus himself. So if these verses aren't referring to the church being taken, when is the church taken? Doesn't 1Thess 4:16-17 say we meet him in the air? So if in Matthew 24 the taken aren't the church, that means the taken are the wicked at that time which would mean the ones left behind are believers. Back to my pretrib rapture theory. That would mean the church has been taken before this all took place & after the church was taken some more folks came to believe in God (during the 7 yr period you say isn't biblical) & left on earth to enter the famous earthly millennium.
God bless you. How else can Matthew 24:36-51 make sense if the taken at that time are killed as stated in Luke 17:37?
BadBarra

Frankston, Australia

#5 Dec 6, 2012
Jersey wrote:
I'm sure this throws a wrench in your way of looking at these verses, but you can't just ignore what the Word of God says. Especially when the words are spoken by Jesus himself. So if these verses aren't referring to the church being taken, when is the church taken? Doesn't 1Thess 4:16-17 say we meet him in the air? So if in Matthew 24 the taken aren't the church, that means the taken are the wicked at that time which would mean the ones left behind are believers. Back to my pretrib rapture theory. That would mean the church has been taken before this all took place & after the church was taken some more folks came to believe in God (during the 7 yr period you say isn't biblical) & left on earth to enter the famous earthly millennium.
God bless you. How else can Matthew 24:36-51 make sense if the taken at that time are killed as stated in Luke 17:37?
Hi there. Mat 24:28, Luke 17:37 and Rev 19:17-18 all see to align in context of the second coming along with Jer 4:23-26. Seems that those who are left are the carcasses that the birds will feed on. Those who are taken are those who are saved (and consequently don't become bird feed)
birdman

Mattoon, IL

#7 Dec 6, 2012
Jersey wrote:
You are trying to prove a Pre-trib Rapture theory that is not biblical.

Luke is saying the same thing Matt. says.

You are trying to read something that is not there.
birdman

Mattoon, IL

#8 Dec 6, 2012
BadBarra wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there. Mat 24:28, Luke 17:37 and Rev 19:17-18 all see to align in context of the second coming along with Jer 4:23-26. Seems that those who are left are the carcasses that the birds will feed on. Those who are taken are those who are saved (and consequently don't become bird feed)
Well said!!
Jersey

Ooltewah, TN

#9 Dec 6, 2012
BadBarra wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 17:37 specifically asks where are they taken to? Why would they ask Jesus where are the ones left behind? That doesn't make sense. I agree it's the second coming. I'm not saying it isn't. All I'm saying is that the church isn't taken at that time. We are taken before. Think about it. Why ask Jesus where are the ones left behind? The answer would be earth. The only reason to ask where is re:the ones taken & wherever they are are taken, they are food for birds. You would have to completely twist this verse just to avoid believing in a pretrib rapture. Just because its what you have been taught for many years doesn't make it true. I always believed Matthew 24 was about the rapture if the church, but when Luke 17:37 was pointed out to me, I had doubts. Now I know it's not the church because we are not taken to be killed. Please study this some more. Don't just blow it off. Something like this would require you to pray & ask God for guidance & clarity. God bless you.
Jersey

Ooltewah, TN

#10 Dec 6, 2012
birdman wrote:
<quoted text>
You are trying to prove a Pre-trib Rapture theory that is not biblical.
Luke is saying the same thing Matt. says.
You are trying to read something that is not there.
Brother, Luke 17:37 is self explanatory. They specifically ask Jesus where & he tells them. Why ask him where the ones left behind are taken to? That doesn't make any sense. You would have to really twist this verse just to disprove the pretrib rapture. Look at this point only & try to make the rest of your belief fit & it Wong fit so you have to disagree with me. Be fair to yourself & start again. I don't claim to know it all, but this specific verse I'm sure I'm right about. If j tell you I am taking one if my kids from home & leaving the other one behind, why Wouk you as me where are you leaving the one? You wouldn't, if you asked me where you would be asking a to where am I taking the one I took. I know you won't get on here & admit you may have this scripture misinterpreted, especially when it is I that has shown it to you, but please be fair & look it over. We always have room to learn. God bless you! I'm praying for you & barra.
BadBarra

Frankston, Australia

#11 Dec 6, 2012
Jersey wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 17:37 specifically asks where are they taken to? Why would they ask Jesus where are the ones left behind? That doesn't make sense. I agree it's the second coming. I'm not saying it isn't. All I'm saying is that the church isn't taken at that time. We are taken before. Think about it. Why ask Jesus where are the ones left behind? The answer would be earth. The only reason to ask where is re:the ones taken & wherever they are are taken, they are food for birds. You would have to completely twist this verse just to avoid believing in a pretrib rapture. Just because its what you have been taught for many years doesn't make it true. I always believed Matthew 24 was about the rapture if the church, but when Luke 17:37 was pointed out to me, I had doubts. Now I know it's not the church because we are not taken to be killed. Please study this some more. Don't just blow it off. Something like this would require you to pray & ask God for guidance & clarity. God bless you.
I apologise if you think I was trying to blow the topic off because that was not my aim.

Luke 17:37 is interesting because of the way it is phrased it is different to Matthew and it implies what you are saying.

What my initial thought was, has Luke heard of this conversation that took place in Matt and worded it slightly differently, or is he telling us a message.

Also, such an important topic, God will have given us other evidence of this process else where in the bible. Do you know of any other scripture that refers to this?

Kind regards
Lay Worker

Myrtleford, Australia

#12 Dec 6, 2012
By the time Luke 17:37 comes to pass -
its too late.
Jersey

Ooltewah, TN

#13 Dec 6, 2012
This goes out to everyone on this post, help me out here please. This is what this forum should be all about, I believe. I've continued studying these verses & I'm starting to understand Luke 17:37 to mean Jesus is the dody & the church is the eagles. I've looked at the KJV & the Geneva bible to try & get as close to the original. I know the NIV has been messed with, but this I think takes the cake. The NIV really changed & added words to Luke 17:37. Does any one see what I am referring to?
Jersey

Cape Coral, FL

#14 Dec 6, 2012
BadBarra wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologise if you think I was trying to blow the topic off because that was not my aim.
Luke 17:37 is interesting because of the way it is phrased it is different to Matthew and it implies what you are saying.
What my initial thought was, has Luke heard of this conversation that took place in Matt and worded it slightly differently, or is he telling us a message.
Also, such an important topic, God will have given us other evidence of this process else where in the bible. Do you know of any other scripture that refers to this?
Kind regards
As you have read I am still looking at this with an open mind. I read Matthew 24:28 & here he uses the word carcass instead of body. Implying the eagles are gathered where the dead body is? Of course if you use the NIV you get a whole different meaning, but using the KJV & the Geneva bible it takes on a new meaning. Still I see Matthew 24:28 & Luke 17:37 kind of bumping heads a little bit.
Jersey

Ooltewah, TN

#15 Dec 6, 2012
BadBarra wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind regards
For now I just see Matthew 24:28 & Luke 17:37 to mean the same. It's used as an example(parable if you will) the same way eagles gather to a dead body so will we the church gather to Jesus in the air.
DANNO

London, UK

#16 Dec 6, 2012
Jersey wrote:
<quoted text>
So you say it is the church who is taken in these verses?
I don't know your background, but I hope you believe in the whole Bible including the Gospel of Luke.
Luke 17:37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together .(KJV)
So here we see that wherever the taken ones were taken to, they are dead. So if it is the church being taken in this account, why are we dead if when Jesus comes for us it is to take us to eternity?
Jersey

You beat me to it!! As i was reading Profesor Birdman opening post i immidiatly thought of LUKE 17 !
Which ABDUCTION accures first FIRST?? Is it the account in Matthew or the LUKE account? If the account of Matthew comes first then ALL those remaining should ALL be taken to the place Luke discribes in Lk 17: agree? Same question to Birdman.

Dan
DANNO

London, UK

#17 Dec 6, 2012
birdman wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said!!
Birdie.

Just for clarification, can you CONFIRM that you BELIEVE those that are TAKEN AWAY in Luke 17: 37 are the SAVED/REDEEMED? yes or no? Simple answer is it a YES or a NO?

You did SAY " WELL SAID" to the other poster, remember?

Dan
DANNO

London, UK

#18 Dec 6, 2012
Jersey wrote:
<quoted text>
Jersey

It was me who openned a thread on Luke 17 and the SNATCHING AWAY of humans to be fed to VULTURES but most members did not like what was written in LUKE and became a bit hostile toward me as IF IT WAS ME who wrote that nonsense by Luke! Remember that LUKE was NOT an Apostle! and also remember that Luke was NOT chosen by the HOLY Spirit or by GOD to write his gospel!! Luke chose HIMSELF!! read Luke 1: 3 and also read Luke 6: 12-19 you will notice that his name was not included in the list of Apostles! nor in Matt 10: 2-4 & NOR in MARK 3: 14-19

Satan planted LUKE, Mark & Paul in the BIBLE!! read Matt 13: 24-26 & REV 2: 2 SEVEN times.

Dan
DANNO

London, UK

#19 Dec 6, 2012
Lay Worker wrote:
By the time Luke 17:37 comes to pass -
its too late.
Were they taken away to be fed to the BIRDS yes or no?

Simply answer yes or no. Dont answer with QUESTIONS or with insults that satan puts in your heart & mind.

Dan
Robert Two

Australia

#20 Dec 6, 2012
birdman wrote:
Hope this helps
BIRMAN.
ALL SHALL SEE HIS COMING is conditional.
The WICK will not see him but be killed by the BRIGHTNESS of his arrival.
Only SAINTS SEE JESUS. But the men at the cross will be there and be tourtured by his arrival as extra punish ment.
DANNO

London, UK

#21 Dec 6, 2012
birdman wrote:
Granny must not like the explaining here?
She asked.
Bird

Re: Luke 17: 37

Were they taken away to EATEN by BIRDS yes or no?

Simply answer yes or no. Dont answer with QUESTIONS or with insults or with GARBAGE.

Dan

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2300 Day Prophecy (Jun '15) 17 min Earburner 669
+++ WHY ARE SABBATH HATERS ON a SDA FORUM +++ (Dec '13) 1 hr Lay Worker 730
Is a one world religion coming in the future? 7 hr Saved By Grace 141
Sabbath Keeping rules and regulations 13 hr Patriot 14
Absent From the Body (2) Fri 10commandments 170
Steve Marshall (May '07) Fri Daryl 119
WHY do SDA LOOSE so many MEMBERS! SHOCKING! Fri Lay Worker 92
More from around the web