Parent: Quaker son shouldn't need school drug test

The parent of a central Pennsylvania high school student wants her son exempted from random drug testing because integrity is a tenet of the teen's Quaker faith. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
chbg grad

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Sep 22, 2010
I hope the school district sticks to their rule regardless of this family's religious beliefs. If they exempt this kid, can't all persons of all religions say the same thing because don't all religions profess the same tenets? There should be no exemptions to this rule because alleged belief in any religion does not mean a student doesn't use drugs.
family is love

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Sep 22, 2010
simple- if he has nothing to hide he would have signed that form. only people that know they will fail the drug test complain about it, and as we have learned from the past -i.e. the amish, not all religious people are drug free
Concord Kid

Falls Church, VA

#3 Sep 22, 2010
Uh, no... Not all religions profess the same tenets... that's basically what separates one religion from another.
BeeEssss

Gettysburg, PA

#4 Sep 22, 2010
this kid is probably the dealer. what a joke -- pee in the cup and make your sky daddy proud. if you got a prob following the rules then go to one of your religious based schools.
citizen5

Greencastle, PA

#5 Sep 22, 2010
He actually should have changed his religion to Muslim. I am sure he would have been exempted without as much as a question.
chbg grad

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Sep 22, 2010
Concord Kid, you missed my sarcasm. My point is that people of all religions claim truthfulness because they all think their religion is the only "real" religion. To me, the family is basically saying that, because of his religion, the kid wouldn't lie about using drugs so obviously the school should believe him.

“Not fallen”

Since: May 08

WalMartBoro, PA

#8 Sep 22, 2010
chbg grad wrote:
I hope the school district sticks to their rule regardless of this family's religious beliefs. If they exempt this kid, can't all persons of all religions say the same thing because don't all religions profess the same tenets? There should be no exemptions to this rule because alleged belief in any religion does not mean a student doesn't use drugs.
There's religious exemptions on childhood vaccinations too, just in case readers don't know. Lots of kids out there not vaccinated. The random drug testing pales in comparison to the article's religious exemption issue.

“Grow up, be a man!!”

Since: Sep 10

Chambersburg

#9 Sep 22, 2010
Really PO, is this really news? If you wanna play you have to follow the rules....
Jo_R

Warsaw, IN

#10 Sep 22, 2010
Dog wrote:
If one of his core beliefs is to obey society's laws, isn't one of society's laws (in this case) to be subject to random drug testing?
If a Quaker falls into oatmeal, and no one is around, will he eat himself out of it?
That's exactly what I thought when I read the article! If he's all about obeying the rules, then golly-gee Batman, we should obey them and be tested. What's the big deal?

And the oatmeal thing was amusing...
Sonny

Holmes, PA

#11 Sep 22, 2010
No Child Left Behind. Take the test son.

Since: Jan 10

Denver, CO

#12 Sep 22, 2010
Take the test or take the bus.....
equality

Orbisonia, PA

#13 Sep 22, 2010
Every citizen should be tested each month.

Since: Jan 10

Denver, CO

#14 Sep 22, 2010
equality wrote:
Every citizen should be tested each month.
Yes, let's appoint a "Pee Pee Czar". I love it.....
thats a joke

Mercersburg, PA

#15 Sep 22, 2010
You say... The AMISH are DRUG FREE ??!!! I hope you are kidding and don't really believe that crap! If you do you are an idiot for sure....I know a lot of "AMISH" that wouldn't pass a drug test any day of the week! They are just like anyone else....and they do what they want, when they want. What a joke!
Hey

Chambersburg, PA

#16 Sep 22, 2010
Ok. It's simple. Dont take the test don't park or participate in extra activities.
Allowing him not to take the drug test because of religion is REDICULOUS!!!!
Oh Please

Plano, TX

#17 Sep 22, 2010
Guess they didn't hear about the Quaker doctor from Chambersburg whose son did 3 months in prison for selling drugs.
More BS

Flourtown, PA

#18 Sep 22, 2010
I see....so the 'religion' of one's family or one's self makes them superior beings and not subject to the rules and laws the rest of us live by. Gimme a break. Homeschool the kid if you don't want to follow the rules!
just sayin

Gettysburg, PA

#19 Sep 22, 2010
We shouldn't have to worry about Quakers doing drugs just like we shouldn't have to worry about Catholic priests being alone with little boys.
Concord Kid

Falls Church, VA

#20 Sep 22, 2010
chbg grad wrote:
Concord Kid, you missed my sarcasm. My point is that people of all religions claim truthfulness because they all think their religion is the only "real" religion. To me, the family is basically saying that, because of his religion, the kid wouldn't lie about using drugs so obviously the school should believe him.
Oh, I aggree with you... the only reason I can see why he wouldn't sign, is that the drug policy may have contained an oath (i.e., I promise I will not use drugs) of some sort which the Quakers, under normal circumstances, refuse to sign.
family is love

Chambersburg, PA

#21 Sep 22, 2010
Hey wrote:
Ok. It's simple. Dont take the test don't park or participate in extra activities.
Allowing him not to take the drug test because of religion is REDICULOUS!!!!
that was my point- as religious as the amish say they are- we all have read the news reports about weed fields found on amish propertys and they have no idea how they got there!

religion should not be used as an excuse, if i get pulled over and the cops suspects drug use, can i say sorry my religion says i have to tell the truth so the cop will just have to belive me and not the test

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Society of Friends Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Quakers object to funding for developing milita... Dec '14 OwenEverett 1
Daniel Boone and his family found freedom in th... (Dec '08) Jan '14 confused 15
Philip Gulley and James Mulholland (May '07) Dec '13 David 22
Huntsville's Quakers keep peaceful traditions o... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Nassar 1
I want to do something to make change (Mar '13) Mar '13 Kelsea Rogers 1
throw the sermon on the mount overboard (Mar '13) Mar '13 god 1
quakers have become such statists/leftists (Feb '13) Feb '13 god 1
More from around the web