As You See It: March 1, 2009

As You See It: March 1, 2009

There are 48 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Mar 1, 2009, titled As You See It: March 1, 2009. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Concerning your article on Feb. 20 about the miraculous survival of the child who feel through an open second-story window, Mr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#44 Mar 2, 2009
omg wrote:
Recognized for Strawberries! Yes, Watsonville, you are. You are reognized for WASTING our water on a completely frivolous fruit that takes tons of pesticides. Take all the water for a fruit that doesn't help feed people locally, don't care what the long term effects. Yep, you sure are recognized for that.
I agree! Much better to be recognized instead for using the precious water to flush the crapp of so many illegals into the Monterey Bay Sanctuary. Ha Ha
rita

Modesto, CA

#45 Mar 2, 2009
RobtA wrote:
Sorry, ericD, you are absolutely wrong. If "gay marriage" (or civil union) is legally recognized, it imposes duties upon third parties. I have already provided one example, which is a real example. There are numerous others. Religion has nothing to do with it.
Gays do not have a right to marry. Period. Courts be damned.
But as I wrote above, if a tax break is all you want, maybe that's not so bad. Can I have a tax break, too? For reasons of equality, of course.
if you think the courts should be damned, then get thee to a monastery and live a cloistered life in keeping with your medieval mindset. The purpose of laws is to have some basic rules of manners, so we can coexist in a civil way. What two women or men do in building a peaceful life together does not infringe upon your freedoms in any way.
Medieval mindset

Beverly Hills, CA

#46 Mar 2, 2009
rita wrote:
<quoted text>
if you think the courts should be damned, then get thee to a monastery and live a cloistered life in keeping with your medieval mindset. The purpose of laws is to have some basic rules of manners, so we can coexist in a civil way. What two women or men do in building a peaceful life together does not infringe upon your freedoms in any way.
Burn the witch
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#47 Mar 2, 2009
James Anderson Merritt wrote:
<quoted text>
And so is our broken health care system.
Much of our modern-day woes come directly from present or past attempts to avoid paying taxes. In my opinion, the two most substantial improvements we could make to our society would be to end Prohibition II (aka, the Drug War) and to radically simplify the tax code (even better if we simplified as part of a program to reduce taxation and government spending, but if all we could get was simplification, that would at least be a solid start).
As all benefit equally from govt(as opposed to the economy)all should pay equally for it. In fact, the poor benefit more, and should pay more
rita

Modesto, CA

#48 Mar 2, 2009
Bob Burns wrote:
<quoted text>As all benefit equally from govt(as opposed to the economy)all should pay equally for it. In fact, the poor benefit more, and should pay more
Actually, the wealthy recieve far more benefits from government than the poor., whether it be in better schools, sidewalks, or being closer to those who make the rules that give the wealthy a constant advantage. The poor pay way more tthan thier share of hidden taxes, such as bank fees, sales tax, higher prices at markets in thier neighborhoods, higher percentage of income for permits, liscenses, vehicle registration, insurance, etc.. While not all of these are directly related to government, the wealthy have to sacrifice little to comply with these expenses and much more input in. Look how up in arms they got over the proposed luxury tax on yachts, and they won

Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#49 Mar 2, 2009
rita wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the wealthy recieve far more benefits from government than the poor., whether it be in better schools, sidewalks, or being closer to those who make the rules that give the wealthy a constant advantage. The poor pay way more tthan thier share of hidden taxes, such as bank fees, sales tax, higher prices at markets in thier neighborhoods, higher percentage of income for permits, liscenses, vehicle registration, insurance, etc.. While not all of these are directly related to government, the wealthy have to sacrifice little to comply with these expenses and much more input in. Look how up in arms they got over the proposed luxury tax on yachts, and they won1
The wealthy receive benefits from the economy, not the govt
eric d

Boulder Creek, CA

#50 Mar 2, 2009
Bob Burns wrote:
<quoted text>The wealthy receive benefits from the economy, not the govt
The wealthy receive bailouts from the federal government, to the tune of several billions of dollars,as a reward for "inept' business practices!!
eric d

Boulder Creek, CA

#51 Mar 2, 2009
As a Taxpayer, I'd be pizzed as hell!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Society of Friends Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Six young Quakers join in building a movement f... (Sep '16) Sep '16 FSM 2
News Quakers hold conference on peace education for ... (Jun '16) Jun '16 little lamb 1
Philip Gulley and James Mulholland (May '07) May '16 LeTe2 23
News Conscientious Objection: 100 years on (Jan '16) Jan '16 little lamb 4
News Quakers object to funding for developing milita... (Dec '14) Dec '14 OwenEverett 1
News Daniel Boone and his family found freedom in th... (Dec '08) Jan '14 confused 15
News Huntsville's Quakers keep peaceful traditions o... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Nassar 1
More from around the web