Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Dec 5, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 07

Fort Worth, TX

#1 May 18, 2007
Does anyone know anything about Rev. Philip Gulley and Rev. James Mulholland?

I have read their book IF GRACE IS TRUE, WHY GOD WILL SAVE EVERY PERSON

It convinced me to become a Quaker.

I need to know more about what I now believe.

Thank you
alicia

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Jul 17, 2007
Have you read their book, "If God is Love"? That might help you to understand Gracious Christianity a little bit better. I too am somewhat new to this theology, but fell in love instantly. It makes perfect sense! I hope this helps. God speed.
Sovelenko wrote:
Thank you

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Jul 18, 2007
alicia wrote:
Have you read their book, "If God is Love"? That might help you to understand Gracious Christianity a little bit better. I too am somewhat new to this theology, but fell in love instantly. It makes perfect sense! I hope this helps. God speed.
<quoted text>
No, I have not read that particular book. But, I do plan on getting it. The book I did read came along just when I needed it. REALLY needed it.
Willy Jack

United States

#4 Aug 3, 2007
Sovelenko I dont know much about Rev. Gulley. However I do know a great detail about Rev. Mulholland. I sat under his leadership for a few years. He taught me a great deal about God, humanity and myself.

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Aug 8, 2007
I wish I had moved to Indiana so I could hear both of them preach or talk.

Since I think I believe what they teach in their book, I have become an outcast to my family. But have become more resolute in what I DO believe!

I went to Barns and Noble in Ft. Worth, TX and they did not have the book, If God Is Love, so I will order it over the Internet.
QuAndrew

Sunnyvale, CA

#6 Nov 6, 2007
FYI -- Quakers historically have avoided the use of titles such as "Reverend". I don't know him personally, but if Phil Gulley is like other Quaker pastors and ministers I have known, the people in the Meeting probably just call him Phil, or maybe Pastor Phil for more formal occasions. Quakers, when they have pastors, don't ordain them or set them above the other members, as we hold to the idea that all believers are ministers in some way. This idea can be said to predate the concept of clergy in the history of the church. As Elton Trueblood (one of the best-known Quakers of the 20th century) said, in abolishing the distinction between clergy and laity, Quakers did not eliminate the clergy, they eliminated the laity.
QuAndrew

Sunnyvale, CA

#7 Nov 6, 2007
BTW, their books are somewhat controversial even among Quakers, and there are many who disagree with them. Phil's fiction is very popular among Quakers, however.

I'm not sure how the server acquired the idea that I am from San Leandro. I actually live in Lakeport, CA,(hometown of Marla Ruzika)
Paul Rosenberger

AOL

#8 Jan 5, 2008
Here's a poem that relates to G & M's If Grace Be True:

WHO GOES TO HEAVEN?

I was shocked, confused, bewildered
as I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven
who made me sputter and gasp,
the thieves, the liars, the sinners,
the alcoholics, the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought
was rotting away in hell,
was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus,'What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.

'And why's everyone so quiet,
so somber? Give me a clue.'
'Hush, child,' said He,' they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you.'

Judge NOT………
MDH

Sardinia, OH

#9 Jan 14, 2008
Paul Rosenberger wrote:
Here's a poem that relates to G & M's If Grace Be True:
WHO GOES TO HEAVEN?
I was shocked, confused, bewildered
as I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
nor the lights or its decor.
But it was the folks in Heaven
who made me sputter and gasp,
the thieves, the liars, the sinners,
the alcoholics, the trash.
There stood the kid from seventh grade
who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
who never said anything nice.
Herb, who I always thought
was rotting away in hell,
was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
looking incredibly well.
I nudged Jesus,'What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.
'And why's everyone so quiet,
so somber? Give me a clue.'
'Hush, child,' said He,' they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you.'
Judge NOT………
Hi Paul--
Love this poem & would like to use it in a sermon someday. Are you the author? Or shall I give credit to that great, often-quoted fellow, Anonymous?
MDH

Sardinia, OH

#10 Jan 14, 2008
Hi Paul--
Love this poem & would like to use it in a sermon someday. Are you the author? Or shall I give credit to that great, oft-quoted fellow, Anonymous?
donna

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Apr 2, 2008
I met James Mulholland last weekend. What a wise and gracious man. Maybe God has spoken to his heart and he was able to listen.
Jeff

Carmel, IN

#12 Aug 25, 2008
My family and I started attending the Meeting that Gulley is Pastor of earlier this year. He is wonderful. Very funny and down to Earth. He is usually referred to as Phil, or pastor, or friend.

QuAndrew is correct. Their books are controversial even among more conservative Quakers here in Indiana. But their overall message is so positive that they have got quite a following.

For those of you who don't live in Indiana, you can see some of the places Phil will be here:

http://www.philipgulley.org/EVENTS.htm
Joan

AOL

#13 Sep 29, 2008
I am a Unitarian Universalist in Illinois. I too found Phil, and his co-author Jim Mullholland at a rather critical time in my life. I love UU,its diversity, and what it stands for, but need more liberal Christianity than I get there. A Presbyterian church here did a study group on one of their books and brought them here for a workshop. A few months later Jim was keynoter at a UU Christian revival in New York City and I had the opportunity to have a few more chats with him. I have read two of their books three times each. A friend and I have talked about driving to Indianapolis to attend one of their meetings but I haven't found on the internet how to find out when they are there.
jill salt lake city utah

Salt Lake City, UT

#14 Dec 6, 2008
I found great comfort in the book, If Grace Is True. I only hope it's the truth. In the past I've tended to agree with Pasqual's Theorem, but pray Mulholland and Gulley got it right.

“Hemp for building materials”

Since: Sep 08

Hampstead

#15 Dec 26, 2008
Sovelenko wrote:
Thank you
If I may interject: beliefnet.com is an online religious community open to all no matter with faith or without. There are forums and a Friends forum to learn about what you new path teaches. Hope this helps someone.
Jackie Lanham

Toledo, OH

#16 May 28, 2009
Sovelenko wrote:
Thank you
If Grace Is True and If God Is Love are two of the best books I've read that explain the Christ Consciousness from a structured religious setting. If I had a church with clergy who spoke their truths, I'd never miss a service. God is love...period. It is unchanging, always present, never bartered, available to all. I pray they continue to write what they know about God. I believe they're right on track.
Connie Jo

Plymouth, IN

#17 Aug 31, 2009
Sovelenko wrote:
Thank you
~~~~~~~~~~

There is a website you can go to about Philip Gulley... it is www.philipgulleybooks.com
Dennis d

Thunder Bay, Canada

#20 Sep 29, 2009
As regarding Universalism,as compared to all the other Ism's we should always bear in mind There is an apparent paradox in every biblical doctrine. Every major biblical doctrine. For example, I will ask someone a simple question. Who wrote Romans? Who wrote Romans? Paul? God? Holy Spirit? Who? Did Paul write a verse and then, God write a verse? Then Paul write a verse, then God write a verse? You say, was it all the Holy Spirit? Is every word in Romans from the mind of the Holy Spirit? Yes! Is every word in Romans from the mind of the Apostle Paul in his heart, in his vocabulary? Yes! Who wrote it? Well, it is all God, and it is all Paul. Well, how can it be all God and all Paul? Well, it can't be in our human thinking. That is paradoxical, but it is. Let me ask anyone this: Was Jesus God? or man? Yes! Half God, half man? What is half a man? What is half a god? A nothing! He was 100 percent God, 100 percent man. He can't be that! That is right. It is paradoxical. But, if we try to make it in the middle and mix it and take away a little of His deity and a little of His humanity to come up with a hybrid, what have we just done? We have destroyed the person of Jesus Christ! So, I believe that we leave it alone. And, someone might say,“I can't know that!” "The secret things belong to the LORD." Deuteronomy 29:29. I will not play God and assume that everything has to fit into my computer to be true.
I have often asked people this question. Who lives your Christian life? Who does? Do you? Are you out there saying,“I am going to live my Christian life if it kills me!” You say,“No! It is Christ in me. I do not do anything. I just flop and He does it all.” No! No! No! "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless, I live, yet, not I, but Christ lives in me." It is the same paradox. See, whenever we try to reduce the truth of God down to the human brain, like the Theologians, Church fathers, or the likes of us, we are going to have some stuff left over, and, consequently, we have got to be able to allow for what I call divine tension. Myself, I Just leave it there. The Bible teaches election. The Bible teaches human choice. I Let it teach both. God understands how it all goes together, Brent we dont. We don't. That is a matter of faith, isn’t it?I believe ( my viewpoint) that if we come up with something in the middle, we destroy both. So, people who want to say,“Oh, we cannot believe in election because it messes us up on this end,” are really doing what they have no right to do. They are really saying,“We have got to reduce God to our own thinking processes and assume He is going to do only the things that we can fully understand." I discovered by hard experience The closest thing that will narrow down the truth collectively is the RHEMA.(spoken word)
or the fact of LEARNING FROM GOD ,VIA THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Patrick Grisel

France

#21 Oct 9, 2010
Staying with my daughter near Dallas,I found If Grace is True .I brought it to France where I live .
Being a bit disappointed by all the religious books I had already read,I thought that finding something interesting was just illusory .
I found a treasure ! What a pity that If Grace is True has not been translated in French .A light in my mind .
Daniel

Regina, Canada

#22 Jan 14, 2013
jill salt lake city utah wrote:
I found great comfort in the book, If Grace Is True. I only hope it's the truth. In the past I've tended to agree with Pasqual's Theorem, but pray Mulholland and Gulley got it right.
Well, Jill, I certainly enjoyed their book; and am a committed Universalist. Check out Psalm 52: "But I am like a green olive tree in the house of my God - I trust in the mercy of God FOR EVER AND EVER! I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done; and I will wait on thy NAME, for it is good before thy saints!" Universalism is the best thing that has ever happened to me; and I will uphold it to my dying day, as far as I am concerned (and I am sure that I have the mind of Christ).

Here's a really simple way to verify that Universalism is true: "THINK ABOUT IT!" And guess what! According to Isaiah 1:18, "THINKING ABOUT IT" is PERFECTLY FINE WITH GOD! I ESPECIALLY love the "outcome" of that little "REASONING SESSION", into which God INVITES us!

Bless you!

Daniel

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Society of Friends Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daniel Boone and his family found freedom in th... (Dec '08) Jan '14 confused 15
Huntsville's Quakers keep peaceful traditions o... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Nassar 1
I want to do something to make change (Mar '13) Mar '13 Kelsea Rogers 1
throw the sermon on the mount overboard (Mar '13) Mar '13 god 1
quakers have become such statists/leftists (Feb '13) Feb '13 god 1
do quakers sign tax returns (Feb '13) Feb '13 god 1
Spider Gates Haunted Places in Leicester Massac... (Mar '08) Jan '13 Robbie5536 33
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Society of Friends People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••