Profound sense of acceptance found in Quaker community

Full story: NewsTimes.com
I approach my Quaker faith from the inside out, starting with my own internal world and working toward the larger community. Full Story
Steve

Farmington, CT

#1 Apr 17, 2008
Bill,
What a thoughtful and what seemed like a very honest personal appraisal of what Quakerism means to you.
I am not Quaker, but I did attend a Quaker high school for four years and found the "low key" spirituality and strong sense of mission for peace in our world something I could very much relate to -- this was in the late 60s when the Vietnam War raged and MLK was assassinated . I also attended Meetings for Worship, and while I too fidgeted often, I appreciated the time for self reflection. I also appreciated the fact that no one tried to prostilatize their beliefs, only share their feelings and thoughts.
While I do not follow the faith in any formal way, I will say that my experience had a profound effect in shaping who I am today. Your reflections helped bring my feelings back to light. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Society of Friends Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Quakers object to funding for developing milita... Dec '14 OwenEverett 1
Daniel Boone and his family found freedom in th... (Dec '08) Jan '14 confused 15
Philip Gulley and James Mulholland (May '07) Dec '13 David 22
Huntsville's Quakers keep peaceful traditions o... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Nassar 1
I want to do something to make change (Mar '13) Mar '13 Kelsea Rogers 1
throw the sermon on the mount overboard (Mar '13) Mar '13 god 1
quakers have become such statists/leftists (Feb '13) Feb '13 god 1
More from around the web