Parent: Son shouldn't need school dru...

Parent: Son shouldn't need school drug test because he's a Quaker

There are 3 comments on the York Dispatch story from Sep 22, 2010, titled Parent: Son shouldn't need school drug test because he's a Quaker. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

The parent of a central Pennsylvania high school student wants her son exempted from random drug testing because integrity is a tenet of the teen's Quaker faith.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

Since: Sep 10

Silver Spring, MD

#1 Sep 22, 2010
"She says membership in the Religious Society of Friends requires her son to be truthful and obey society's laws."

Then he should obey the RULE that says he much submit to random drug testing. If he is a "good" Quaker than he has nothing to fear. Just because ones religion says "you must be good" dose not mean that you WILL be good.
Mombatta

York, PA

#2 Sep 22, 2010
Nixon was a Quaker, too.
mattnpa

Centerville, IA

#3 Sep 23, 2010
Oh give me a break! I know that Quaker and Amish are not exactly the same, but, based on the same idea here, people think because of the religious beliefs that they are above our problems. They are not. I personaly know. I have had friends in that community that I met in my addiction days. Im in recovery now and I know one that is also. He was Old Order Mennonite, well, supposed to be lol. They are human too, and for any number of reasons turn too alcohol and drugs.Physical and sexual abuse will turn any kid to drugs and testing is a great thing because it may save the a childs life and point to the real problems. Drugs are usually a cover up to hide something. Even ,well especially religious people, tend to have alot to hide! what do I know? I am just someone in recovery.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Society of Friends Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quakers hold conference on peace education for ... Jun '16 little lamb 1
Philip Gulley and James Mulholland (May '07) May '16 LeTe2 23
News Conscientious Objection: 100 years on (Jan '16) Jan '16 little lamb 4
News Quakers object to funding for developing milita... (Dec '14) Dec '14 OwenEverett 1
News Daniel Boone and his family found freedom in th... (Dec '08) Jan '14 confused 15
News Huntsville's Quakers keep peaceful traditions o... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Nassar 1
I want to do something to make change (Mar '13) Mar '13 Kelsea Rogers 1
More from around the web