Quaker faithful dwindle in Whittier

Quaker faithful dwindle in Whittier

There are 12 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Sep 28, 2008, titled Quaker faithful dwindle in Whittier. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

The influence of the Quaker faith on Whittier cannot be missed. The city takes it's name from Quaker poet and abolitionist John Greenleaf Whittier.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

uh huh

Reseda, CA

#1 Sep 29, 2008
thats because the hispanics are running all of the white people out of whittier! lol
JCB737

Duarte, CA

#2 Sep 29, 2008
Most Mexicans are catholic for the most part.

This explains the decline in church attendance.

Just go to St. Mary's on Sunday. Hell, they even have illegal hot dog and fruit vendors out there now.

There are still plenty of whites in Whittier, but alot of the liberal left wack job types.

It's not a bad place to live, it just needs time to clean out it's house.

Tio Juan

Downey, CA

#3 Sep 29, 2008
uh huh wrote:
thats because the hispanics are running all of the white people out of whittier! lol
Gee, I didn't realize "white people" were so easily spooked by having Hispanic neighbors.

I hope that is your minorityh opinion.

As that great philosopher R.K. said "can't we all just live together?"
no beans

La Habra, CA

#4 Sep 29, 2008
No, most white folks don't scare so easy, nor have they any need to fear their neighbors of whatever ethnicity. Whittier has too many criminals/former criminals living in the uptown area. Many of those criminals are Hispanic and affiliated with gangs. The Quakers have moved on. I went to WHS with many Quakers, but few of them live here anymore. Whittier is still good, but uptown needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt.
Manly Man

Colton, CA

#5 Sep 29, 2008
JCB737 wrote:
Most Mexicans are catholic for the most part.
This explains the decline in church attendance.
Just go to St. Mary's on Sunday. Hell, they even have illegal hot dog and fruit vendors out there now.
There are still plenty of whites in Whittier, but alot of the liberal left wack job types.
It's not a bad place to live, it just needs time to clean out it's house.
Well, they could start selling BEER at the St. Mary's fiesta.
NADA

La Habra, CA

#6 Sep 29, 2008
Manly Man wrote:
<quoted text>Well, they could start selling BEER at the St. Mary's fiesta.
Golly, that would be a lot of fun. Imagine all the barachos!
Whitie

Monterey Park, CA

#7 Sep 29, 2008
Nice Comments?????
Manly Man

Colton, CA

#8 Sep 29, 2008
Yea NADA, A good potion of us latinos can maintain our licqour in us, it's the whitie's that are scary when they drink!!
Josh M from Uptown

United States

#9 Sep 29, 2008
What uneducated comments! The Quaker faith has been dwindling in the United States for the last few decades and has nothing to do with Whittier's ethnic make-up.
I moved to Whittier a few years ago from Downtown L.A. and Uptown is beautiful compared to dumps like La Habra or Downey...I'm white and love that SoCal now has an Hispanic flavor which beckons to it's past. By the way, Pasadena and Long Beach are much more diverse than Whittier and have slums that make Uptown look tame!
no beans

La Habra, CA

#10 Sep 30, 2008
Manly Man wrote:
Yea NADA, A good potion of us latinos can maintain our licqour in us, it's the whitie's that are scary when they drink!!
Yes, I notice how many "whities" get arrested at rodeos and sports bars on weekends white drinking cerveza. My neighbor believes he can sing after 6 beers (he can't!)
Manly Man

Colton, CA

#11 Oct 1, 2008
no beans wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I notice how many "whities" get arrested at rodeos and sports bars on weekends white drinking cerveza. My neighbor believes he can sing after 6 beers (he can't!)
Maybe he's drinking the wrong beer !
Half Man Half Amazing

United States

#12 Oct 1, 2008
Manly Man wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe he's drinking the wrong beer !
Maybe its time to switch to hard stuff other than drinking that water-down liquid gold...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Society of Friends Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quakers hold conference on peace education for ... Jun 26 little lamb 1
Philip Gulley and James Mulholland (May '07) May '16 LeTe2 23
News Conscientious Objection: 100 years on Jan '16 little lamb 4
News Quakers object to funding for developing milita... (Dec '14) Dec '14 OwenEverett 1
News Daniel Boone and his family found freedom in th... (Dec '08) Jan '14 confused 15
News Huntsville's Quakers keep peaceful traditions o... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Nassar 1
I want to do something to make change (Mar '13) Mar '13 Kelsea Rogers 1
More from around the web