Pagan, Christians Make Buds for Lake ...

Pagan, Christians Make Buds for Lake Okeechobee Solstice Fest

There are 9 comments on the Broward-Palm Beach story from Jun 18, 2013, titled Pagan, Christians Make Buds for Lake Okeechobee Solstice Fest. In it, Broward-Palm Beach reports that:

Looks like it's all gonna be peace, love and magick at the Lake Okeechobee Resort and Marina in Pahokee, this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Broward-Palm Beach.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#1 Jun 20, 2013
Wow, I am disheartened to see that the organizers took the "throwing stones at Satanist" stance to make peace for themselves and their festival.

I understand correcting a factual misunderstanding. Pagans do not 'worship the devil', nor do they participate in Catholic horror movie style rituals, sacrifices, manipulation, abuse, etc.

However, neither do actual Satanist. from the article: "Satanism is worship of the material world and the flesh," he told us. "That lowers you."

Sorry, guys, but you just lowered yourselves. Instead of forging true mutual respect for multicultural views and practices, you simply shifting the 'weird-other' factor to another religion/philosophy who doesn't deserve it either.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#2 Jun 20, 2013
There's no such thing as a real Satanist.

Just people trying to get attention by being edgy and controversial.

I have some respect for Wiccans who are truly trying to revive pre-Christian European Pagan traditions - good for you.

But "Satanists" are a joke, and should be regarded as such.

Moon

#4 Jun 21, 2013
<"Just people trying to get attention by being edgy and controversial.">

That is a stereo-type probably brought on by a younger, trending set. The same was said about Wicca and Witchcraft back in the late 90's around the time of the movie The Craft starting a little trendy thing there.

Just because you don't know any personally, or have any groups or whatnot in your area of the world doesn't mean they don't exist. There is no such thing as Satanism portrayed the way horror movies do, i.e. the whole ritual sacrificial cult thing. Neither does Wicca exist the way it is portrayed in most movies or other fiction.

Just as Wicca and Neo-Paganism must remind both detractors and would-be fans that we are not as portrayed in fiction, so must we remember the same for other groups such as Satanist. There is the boring reality, and there is fiction. If you want a stereo-type, most Satanist I know are pretty normal people who appreciate enjoying themselves without posing any threat to others and they meditate. They are more like Pagans, but atheistic.

A few believe in Satan as an archetypal energy (read Letters from Earth to get an idea of how Satanist view 'the devil' as the more noble underdog type of deity. I've seen it published under his legal name, Samuel Clemmons, and other times under Mark Twain.)
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Jun 21, 2013
I've seen these people.

They are just attention-starved nerds, and nothing more.

No offense intended to *actual* Wiccans.

Moon

#6 Jun 24, 2013
So? Attention seeking nerds can be pretty successful...
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#7 Jun 24, 2013
CShine wrote:
So? Attention seeking nerds can be pretty successful...
Sure they can. I used to be on myself, circa 1984.

Which is why it is very hard for me to take "Satanists" seriously.

Moon

#8 Jun 25, 2013
Most Satanist are average people and don't wear a badge or goth-type fashion to advertise. That was almost 30 years ago, maybe time to reexamine stereotypes past college, eh?
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#9 Jun 25, 2013
CShine wrote:
Most Satanist are average people and don't wear a badge or goth-type fashion to advertise. That was almost 30 years ago, maybe time to reexamine stereotypes past college, eh?
Or not.

Experience is, after all, of some benefit.

Every generation of young people believe, at least temporarily, that they have discovered or created something new and original or edgy.

Then they grow up.

Moon

#10 Jun 25, 2013
You are talking about some kids who hopped on a trend 30 years ago. The article is saying that some Pagans disparaged another religion/philosophy comprised of adult human beings who did nothing to deserve such treatment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 5 min J RULES 220,699
News The Divine Right of Kings and Generals (Aug '13) 16 hr The Prophet Smell... 28
HELP Wicca Covens in my area! (Jun '09) Sun NewWiccanMember 62
Who exactly was Gjoub, and should I trust him? (Mar '09) May 28 Kathwynn 503
Pagans gather for elaborate Wiccan funeral of c... May 28 shell 1
News the Beheading Sura: Robert Spencer's Blogging t... May 23 Dragnet52 5
Covertly clearing negative energy from the office (Sep '07) May 21 Debra 49
More from around the web