Who Is Allah?

Aug 24, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Brussels Journal

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Comments
194,541 - 194,560 of 200,094 Comments Last updated 35 min ago
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

El Cid wrote:
CORRECTION:
It's basically summed up in the admonition: "Do unto others as you would HAVE them do unto you." See: http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-12.htm
The law of reciprocity (Lev. 19:18 " love your neighbor as yourself") means don't sin against others to begin with.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>The law of reciprocity (Lev. 19:18 " love your neighbor as yourself") means don't sin against others to begin with.
Of course. Welcome to the human race.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

El Cid wrote:
My GUESS is that the rabbis would draw the same conclusions from Matthew 7:12 about "RESTITUITION."
Then why don't the Christians require it? We have seen that it is not a requirement. The Protestants believe no act is required for forgiveness except believing in Jesus. The Catholics believe only prayer is sufficient. Forgiveness is required of the person wronged and not visa versa. Christians have no idea what sin is.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>The law of reciprocity (Lev. 19:18 " love your neighbor as yourself") means don't sin against others to begin with.
http://www.biblegateway.com/pa ssage/?search=Luke+10%3A25-37

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus.“Teacher,” he asked,“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied.“How do you read it?”

27 He answered,“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and,‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied.“Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus,“And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said:“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper.‘Look after him,’ he said,‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied,“The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him,“Go and do likewise.”
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

It pleases me to read that the expert in the law of Moses had it exactly right.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

El Cid wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
The Parable of the Good Samaritan
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus.“Teacher,” he asked,“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied.“How do you read it?”
27 He answered,“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and,‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied.“Do this and you will live.”
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus,“And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said:“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper.‘Look after him,’ he said,‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied,“The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him,“Go and do likewise.”
And.......? The Samaritan did not sin against the man. The former had committed no sin to be forgiven. The former had nothing to make restitution for. Let's stay on topic.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Robert, the question remains: Does Christianity require the sinner to rectify the sin when the sin is committed against another? The answer is no, especially in Catholicism. The article from the official Roman Catholic broadcasting website makes it clear that the sinner does not have to go and make amends. The person who is sinned against is required to forgive without any expression of sorrow by the sinner. Catholicism places the burden not on the sinner but on the innocent person.
Are you a Catholic that you can with certainty make that statement?

You are inserting an assumption that is false.

Penance is the making amends for the sin you committed.
Like I said before Eric you are a stupid person.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

Eric wrote:
. Christians have no idea what sin is.
http://christianity.about.com/od/glossary/f/w...
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>And.......? The Samaritan did not sin against the man. The former had committed no sin to be forgiven. The former had nothing to make restitution for. Let's stay on topic.
I was staying on topic. You quoted the Leviticus passage about loving one's "neighbor." I responded accordingly. PAY ATTENTION.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Are you a Catholic that you can with certainty make that statement?
You are inserting an assumption that is false.
Penance is the making amends for the sin you committed.
Like I said before Eric you are a stupid person.
And how does the Catholic church define penance? What do it require? The answer is "not restitution". I gave you a citation to an official Catholic website. Please offer a citation that contradicts what that website said.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>I was staying on topic. You quoted the Leviticus passage about loving one's "neighbor." I responded accordingly. PAY ATTENTION.
I was on topic. Quoting it for the proposition that one should make it right. You quoted it for its charitable facet.

Now, let's get back to the question of whether Christianity requires one to make restitution to be forgiven of sin or whether belief in Jesus is all that is required.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

El Cid wrote:
Now work with me. What is required to be forgiven of that sin if the sin is committed against another person?
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Now work with me. What is required to be forgiven of that sin if the sin is committed against another person?
Forgiveness of sin, in my CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN opinion, INCLUDES making restitution, in some measure, BASED on an obvious to the universe reading of Matthew 7:12. Failing the restitution test means purgatory post-death of an indefinite duration.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>Forgiveness of sin, in my CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN opinion, INCLUDES making restitution, in some measure, BASED on an obvious to the universe reading of Matthew 7:12. Failing the restitution test means purgatory post-death of an indefinite duration.
Just to be clear here. And there is no way for me to double check. In your Catholic Christian EXPERIENCE did the confessional priest ever tell you that you must go to the person you sinned against and "make good" before you would be absolved/forgiven of the sin?
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

"Purgatory (Lat., "purgare", to make clean, to purify) in accordance with Catholic teaching is a place or condition of temporal punishment for those who, departing this life in God's grace, are, not entirely free from venial faults, or have not fully paid the satisfaction due to their transgressions."

Satisfaction, in my mind's eye, means restitution.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Just to be clear here. And there is no way for me to double check. In your Catholic Christian EXPERIENCE did the confessional priest ever tell you that you must go to the person you sinned against and "make good" before you would be absolved/forgiven of the sin?
Actually, no. Forgiveness of my sin was never made CONDITIONAL on extra measures that I would have to take. It was rather the GRACE of the Sacrament that empowered me to "make good" on it by asking the pardon of whomsoever I may have sinned against. Failing this till death? Purgatory.

See: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

Judged:

A Caveat:

There must be a firm purpose of amendment.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2014

El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no. Forgiveness of my sin was never made CONDITIONAL on extra measures that I would have to take. It was rather the GRACE of the Sacrament that empowered me to "make good" on it by asking the pardon of whomsoever I may have sinned against. Failing this till death? Purgatory.
See: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
I accept that. In your Catholic religion doctrine, are you forgiven when you have fulfilled the requirements that the priest has placed upon you in the confessional. If you get to judgment and you have done all asked of you can you still be sent to purgatory for having unforgiven sin--even if the priest forgave you? In the law there is a principal known as promissory estoppel. It says that if you rely upon the word of another that 's an enforceable contract. Does that work at judgment? Can you plead that you have always done what the priest required of you?

The idea of having to ask the pardon of whomsover. How does that square with the idea of the Catholic church that the aggrieved must forgive no matter what; i.e., Sermon on the Mount said forgive your trespassers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••