Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256493 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206414 May 12, 2014
CORRECTION:

It's basically summed up in the admonition: "Do unto others as you would HAVE them do unto you." See: http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-12.htm
Eric

Wheaton, IL

#206415 May 12, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
From your link and previously pasted by you:
"Teshuvá is the key concept in the rabbinic view of sin, repentance, and forgiveness. The tradition is not of one mind on the steps one must take to repent of one's sins. However, almost all agree that repentance requires five elements: recognition of one's sins as sins (hakarát ha-chét'), remorse (charatá), desisting from sin (azivát ha-chét'), RESTITUTION where possible (peira'ón), and confession (vidúi)."
"RESTITUTION" is the act of making good, as best one can, for any damage done. If one has stolen, one must return the object or pay compensation. If one has damaged another's reputation, one must attempt to correct the injury to the offended party."
Where is the restitution requirement in Christianity?
First, did you read the part about "as best as one can"?

Second, one can make restitution to the family.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206416 May 12, 2014
My GUESS is that the rabbis would draw the same conclusions from Matthew 7:12 about "RESTITUITION."
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206417 May 12, 2014
CORRECTION:

My GUESS is that the rabbis would draw the same conclusions from Matthew 7:12 about "RESTITUTION."
Eric

Wheaton, IL

#206418 May 12, 2014
El Cid wrote:
CORRECTION:
It's basically summed up in the admonition: "Do unto others as you would HAVE them do unto you." See: http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-12.htm
The law of reciprocity (Lev. 19:18 " love your neighbor as yourself") means don't sin against others to begin with.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206419 May 12, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>The law of reciprocity (Lev. 19:18 " love your neighbor as yourself") means don't sin against others to begin with.
Of course. Welcome to the human race.
Eric

Wheaton, IL

#206420 May 12, 2014
El Cid wrote:
My GUESS is that the rabbis would draw the same conclusions from Matthew 7:12 about "RESTITUITION."
Then why don't the Christians require it? We have seen that it is not a requirement. The Protestants believe no act is required for forgiveness except believing in Jesus. The Catholics believe only prayer is sufficient. Forgiveness is required of the person wronged and not visa versa. Christians have no idea what sin is.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206421 May 12, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>The law of reciprocity (Lev. 19:18 " love your neighbor as yourself") means don't sin against others to begin with.
http://www.biblegateway.com/pa ssage/?search=Luke+10%3A25-37

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus.“Teacher,” he asked,“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied.“How do you read it?”

27 He answered,“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and,‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied.“Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus,“And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said:“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper.‘Look after him,’ he said,‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied,“The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him,“Go and do likewise.”
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206422 May 12, 2014
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206423 May 12, 2014
It pleases me to read that the expert in the law of Moses had it exactly right.
Eric

Wheaton, IL

#206424 May 12, 2014
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
The Parable of the Good Samaritan
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus.“Teacher,” he asked,“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied.“How do you read it?”
27 He answered,“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and,‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied.“Do this and you will live.”
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus,“And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said:“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper.‘Look after him,’ he said,‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied,“The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him,“Go and do likewise.”
And.......? The Samaritan did not sin against the man. The former had committed no sin to be forgiven. The former had nothing to make restitution for. Let's stay on topic.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#206425 May 12, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Robert, the question remains: Does Christianity require the sinner to rectify the sin when the sin is committed against another? The answer is no, especially in Catholicism. The article from the official Roman Catholic broadcasting website makes it clear that the sinner does not have to go and make amends. The person who is sinned against is required to forgive without any expression of sorrow by the sinner. Catholicism places the burden not on the sinner but on the innocent person.
Are you a Catholic that you can with certainty make that statement?

You are inserting an assumption that is false.

Penance is the making amends for the sin you committed.
Like I said before Eric you are a stupid person.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206426 May 12, 2014
Eric wrote:
. Christians have no idea what sin is.
http://christianity.about.com/od/glossary/f/w...
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206427 May 12, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>And.......? The Samaritan did not sin against the man. The former had committed no sin to be forgiven. The former had nothing to make restitution for. Let's stay on topic.
I was staying on topic. You quoted the Leviticus passage about loving one's "neighbor." I responded accordingly. PAY ATTENTION.
Eric

Wheaton, IL

#206428 May 12, 2014
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Are you a Catholic that you can with certainty make that statement?
You are inserting an assumption that is false.
Penance is the making amends for the sin you committed.
Like I said before Eric you are a stupid person.
And how does the Catholic church define penance? What do it require? The answer is "not restitution". I gave you a citation to an official Catholic website. Please offer a citation that contradicts what that website said.
Eric

Wheaton, IL

#206429 May 12, 2014
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>I was staying on topic. You quoted the Leviticus passage about loving one's "neighbor." I responded accordingly. PAY ATTENTION.
I was on topic. Quoting it for the proposition that one should make it right. You quoted it for its charitable facet.

Now, let's get back to the question of whether Christianity requires one to make restitution to be forgiven of sin or whether belief in Jesus is all that is required.
Eric

Wheaton, IL

#206430 May 12, 2014
El Cid wrote:
Now work with me. What is required to be forgiven of that sin if the sin is committed against another person?
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206431 May 12, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Now work with me. What is required to be forgiven of that sin if the sin is committed against another person?
Forgiveness of sin, in my CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN opinion, INCLUDES making restitution, in some measure, BASED on an obvious to the universe reading of Matthew 7:12. Failing the restitution test means purgatory post-death of an indefinite duration.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#206432 May 12, 2014
Eric

Wheaton, IL

#206433 May 12, 2014
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>Forgiveness of sin, in my CATHOLIC CHRISTIAN opinion, INCLUDES making restitution, in some measure, BASED on an obvious to the universe reading of Matthew 7:12. Failing the restitution test means purgatory post-death of an indefinite duration.
Just to be clear here. And there is no way for me to double check. In your Catholic Christian EXPERIENCE did the confessional priest ever tell you that you must go to the person you sinned against and "make good" before you would be absolved/forgiven of the sin?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man wins OK to wear goat horns in driver's lice... Thu mascari wears horns 18
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 22 Eagle 12 4,947
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Feb 22 Nicole Orsak 117
ecoven on Facebook. secret group free classes a... (Apr '14) Feb 7 Kcreoke 2
News Speaking of religion: Pagans stir a fuss in Beebe (Jun '14) Jan 30 lee77 117
News 'Everyone will be Muslim because of our stupidi... Jan 26 Rabbeen Al Jihad 20
Splash X Damage (Apr '08) Jan '17 Jahmahlol 6
More from around the web