Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 250947 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#195307 Nov 19, 2013
Given the present cutting-edge technology where nearly everything that is there to be known objectively about nature/being is known, it's possible, that, via electronic mind control, brain functions and every nerve of the body can be controlled remotely...there's sufficient evidence from various research quarters - mainstream and covert - that indicate that this is a reality.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#195308 Nov 19, 2013
Given the lunacy, abusiveness, megalomania, bigotry and aggressiveness of Jesus in many places, the NT fails the test of true greatness despite being the improvised avatar of that old monstrosity - Tanach. LOL.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195309 Nov 19, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Reverse engineering of the brain is not too far off...
Make sure it does not act in reverse!!
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195310 Nov 19, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Really. Please explain this sentence from the prayer: "Recite them when you stay at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you get up"
My Brother, Do not take offense at what I wrote, just study the religious history of Jews and compare it with Muslims.

What made the change? The two books apparently!!
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195312 Nov 20, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>I can translate the verses of Qur'aan in English in a jiffy. I have been doing that here.
Sure you have, and you add or subtract words that aren't actually there in a jiffy if you think it will suit your argument. For example, I distinctly remember you saying that the words "as if" were in Quran 69:16. I know you said that, you know you said that. You said that it does not say the sky will be frail, you said that it says "as if it were frail" to purposefully try to make it sound allegorical, when clearly that verse is not allegorical at all and "as if" is nowhere to be found in that verse.

I hope you don't continue to try little tricks like this in the future now that people know about this resource to check your claims.

http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp...
http://corpus.quran.com/wordmorphology.jsp...

If people were wise, they would make heavy use of this resource when having any discussions with you at all to keep you from tweaking the Quran to meet your needs.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195313 Nov 20, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
- Nikola Tesla
COMMENTS: I think by referring to "non-physical phenomena" Tesla means the universal energy field vibrating at frequencies other than those that give rise to matter.
Well Tesla was the person who invented radio frequency, if that means anything to your question.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195314 Nov 20, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
REFERENCES TO NONDUALISM IN THE NT:
COMMENTS: I am surprised to find so many references to nondualism in the NT though of course its mysticism remains stuck on the vital plane of cosmic consciousness-force.
I tried to tell you that it has this and much other philosophical wisdom and insights similar to Eastern mysticism and you just laughed at that idea. You should take another look. There are many scholars who are aware of Eastern mysticism, that clearly see the parallel in many of the things Jesus said. The question is, where did he get these ideas, insights or wisdom from? The Hebrew culture he came from had very little in the way of these ideas. And even if one says that these are merely people inventing this story and the sayings of Jesus, where would they get these ideas from, and why would they invent things that even they themselves would not have understood?

Aside from any other aspects, this is actually a key aspect of why I don't think that people just made these stories and sayings of Jesus up. If they did, they would have made sense to them. People don't make things up that don't make sense to themselves, they make up things that make perfect sense to themselves, like Muhammad did.

Jesus often spoke in such a cryptic manner because often he was speaking about the unspeakable or concepts that just don't fit very well into words. He wasn't someone who just barked out shallow and simple rules like Muhammad did.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195315 Nov 20, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Given the lunacy, abusiveness, megalomania, bigotry and aggressiveness of Jesus in many places, the NT fails the test of true greatness despite being the improvised avatar of that old monstrosity - Tanach. LOL.
Who are you to decide what true greatness is and what it is not? If you go and create your own universes or even just your own world, then maybe we can talk and you can truly be the judge of things and enlighten me. You might learn a new thing or two during the process if you ever could undertake it.

I always love it when people decide if God exists or not based on whether God acts like THEY think that God should act like, and if God does not, then God is deemed as non existent. They treat their own perceptions as the center of the universe almost as though they themselves created it, and they treat their own understandings and judgements as the measuring stick.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#195316 Nov 20, 2013
The references to nondualism in the NT are not profound - they're elementary stuff. In general, the nondual experiences encompass a range of experiences covering at least 22 planes of consciousness-force and more. Jesus' description of nondualism of "the kingdom of heaven being within a person" and his reference to meditation on the third eye which is the force center between the brows ("If thine eye be single thine body is filled with light") reach up to just plane. Elementary stuff. His paranormal powers, too, are typical phenomena of the vital plane projected on to matter.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#195317 Nov 20, 2013
CORRECTION:

Jesus' description of nondualism of "the kingdom of heaven being within a person" and his reference to meditation on the third eye which is the force center between the brows ("If thine eye be single thine body is filled with light") reach up to just THE 3RD plane.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195318 Nov 20, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
My Brother, Do not take offense at what I wrote, just study the religious history of Jews and compare it with Muslims.
What made the change? The two books apparently!!
That brings up a very interesting point about the notorious qibla change. Not only was it strange for God to allow the Hebrews to have the wrong prayer direction for so long, it gets even stranger when we realize that the Quran makes no mention of the right qibla right up front. Instead, Muhammad actually embraces the qibla for Jerusalem while he was hoping the Jews would accept him as a prophet, and then, only after he realized that they would not, does the prayer direction suddenly change to Mecca and veneration of the Kaaba and Black Stone, both of which clearly have pagan origin, is added into Islam.

Very, very odd indeed. But even though it is odd, the motivations for doing or claiming such things and the timing behinds such actions are not difficult to figure out at all.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#195319 Nov 20, 2013
Jesus' yoga reached up to just the 3rd plane - not impressive!
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195320 Nov 20, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
The references to nondualism in the NT are not profound - they're elementary stuff.
Do you think it would be the least bit practical for Jesus to get into explanations like yours given his audience?
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
In general, the nondual experiences encompass a range of experiences covering at least 22 planes of consciousness-force and more. Jesus' description of nondualism of "the kingdom of heaven being within a person" and his reference to meditation on the third eye which is the force center between the brows ("If thine eye be single thine body is filled with light") reach up to just plane. Elementary stuff. His paranormal powers, too, are typical phenomena of the vital plane projected on to matter.
If the story of Jesus is true, then he did things that you, nor anybody else that I know of, are capable of. So when you do something even close to something minor such as healing a shriveled hand right in front of witnesses, then maybe you can judge as to how elementary something is or not. You can talk about ideas all that you want, but until you can actually demonstrate any of it, it is nothing but your own conjecture.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195321 Nov 20, 2013
Joel,

Here is the contradictory logical error that I believe you are making. On the one hand, you champion non dualism, but on the other hand, your explanations are full of dualism.

Dualism arises from the mind perceiving differences between things, and then using those perceptions to cut reality up into pieces and to give names to those pieces. This "fragments" the vision of reality and cuts it up using arbitrary words, labels and measuring sticks, but true reality is seamless, much like flowing water. We can arbitrarily cut time up into pieces by inventing things such as seconds, minutes, nanoseconds, but those are just arbitrary concepts that we create for our convenience and they do not actually exist in reality.

So you champion non dualism, and then the first thing you do is to apply dualism and cut up yogic powers into arbitrary, numerical levels. When I start to see things like levels and numbers, this is where I begin to detect arbitrary invention that is mistakenly being treated as non arbitrary fact. And why should it be treated as fact as the person is attempting to do? Simply because that's the way they make it up, and that is not a good reason at all.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195322 Nov 20, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
That brings up a very interesting point about the notorious qibla change. Not only was it strange for God to allow the Hebrews to have the wrong prayer direction for so long, it gets even stranger when we realize that the Quran makes no mention of the right qibla right up front. Instead, Muhammad actually embraces the qibla for Jerusalem while he was hoping the Jews would accept him as a prophet, and then, only after he realized that they would not, does the prayer direction suddenly change to Mecca and veneration of the Kaaba and Black Stone, both of which clearly have pagan origin, is added into Islam.
Very, very odd indeed. But even though it is odd, the motivations for doing or claiming such things and the timing behinds such actions are not difficult to figure out at all.
Want to have "fresh dialog" with me?

Promise you will not loose "interest in the middle" and wont cry like old lady and ruing the day and time you started discussion with me.

Why not change your name, so no one knows you from adam!!
Jesus Is

Baulkham Hills, Australia

#195323 Nov 20, 2013
MUSLIMS WILL SHADE FROM GOD'S LIGHT IN THEIR NON-EXISTANT QURANIC PARADISE:

QURAN 36:56:
Sahih International:'They and their spouses - in shade, reclining on adorned couches.'

SURA 76:13:
'Reclining therein on raised thrones, they will see there neither the excessive heat of the sun, nor the excessive bitter cold,(as in Paradise there is no sun and no moon)'.
Translation : Eng-Dr. Mohsin
Truth Seeker

New Delhi, India

#195324 Nov 20, 2013
UNIVERSAL IDEA OF GOD:
1.God is Satchidananda: Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute and Bliss Absolute.
2.God is Antaryamin: He is the Inner Ruler of this body and mind. He is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.
3.God is Chiranjeevi: He is permanent, eternal, perpetual, indestructible, immutable and imperishable. God is past, present and future. He is unchanging amidst the changing phenomena.
4.God is Paramatma: He is the Supreme Being. The Bhagavad Gita styles Him as 'Purushottama' or Supreme Purusha or Maheswara.
5.God is Sarva-vid: He is ever-knowledgeable. He knows everything in detail. He is 'Swasamvedya', that is, he knows everything by Himself.
6.God is Chirashakti: He witnesses all incidents in this Universe.
7.God is Swayambhu: He is self-existent. He does not depend upon others for His existence. He is 'Swayam Prakasha' or self-luminous. He reveals Himself by His own light.
8.God is Swatah Siddha: He is self-proven. He does not want any proof, because He is the basis for the act or process of proving. God is 'Paripoorna' or self-contained.
9.God is Swatantra: He is Independent. He has good desires ('satkama') and pure will ('satsankalpa').
10.God is Eternal Happiness: Supreme Peace can be had only in God. God-realisation can bestow supreme happiness on humankind.
11.God is Love: He is an embodiment of eternal bliss, supreme peace and wisdom. He is all-merciful, omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent.
12.God is Life: He is the 'Prana'(life) in the body and intelligence in 'Antahkarana'(fourfold mind: mind, intellect, ego and the subconscious mind).
13.God has 3 Aspects: Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are the three aspects of God. Brahma is the creative aspect(As in Stars, Galaxies & other celestial body’s creation) ; Vishnu is the preservative aspect (As in Dark Matter & Dark Energy); and Shiva is the destructive aspect(As in Black Holes, Super Novas etc..).
14.God has 5 Activities:'Srishti'(creation) ,'Sthiti'(preservation),'Samha ra'(destruction),'Tirodhana' or 'Tirobhava'(veiling), and 'Anugraha'(grace) are the five kinds of activities of God.
15.God has 6 Attributes of Divine Wisdom or 'Gyana':'Vairagya'(dispassion) ,'Aishwarya'(powers),'Bala'(st rength),'Sri'(wealth) and 'Kirti'(fame).
16.God Lives in You: He dwells in the chamber of your own heart. He is the silent witness of your mind. This body is His moving temple. The 'sanctum sanctorum' is the chamber of your own heart. If you cannot find Him there, you can not find Him anywhere else.(This aspects of God is also realized by “Jesus Christ” apart from “Sri Krishna” and the Indian Sages when he revealed “The Kingdom of Heaven is within You”)
Alex WM

London, UK

#195325 Nov 20, 2013
Truth Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear BMZ,
Every one in this world know that the word "Islam" is in Quran. But I did b=not know until your this post that Quran is an Arabic Dictionary. What you have to do is to open an Arabic Dictionary check the meaning of the word "Islam". You will only find that your are directed back to the Quran. This is proof that the word is an invention.
Anyways, why don't you answer for the impractical command of Allah. You don't need to because you don't know how to. OK, as you wish live in a dreamy world.
All the best...
You really ought to stop reading anti Muslim sites!
Do you actually understand any Arabic?
Before you started attacking Islam and SLM, did you bother to look for the words properly.
All you are doing is making absurd claims and shifting goal posts.
You didn't even know that Quran is better than all the Arabic dictionaries put together.

I would like to challenge you on Iswar and Alayam!!!
What is the difference between Ishwar and Iswar?
Temple...?
maNDapa adj. temple edit
maTha adj. temple edit
vayuna adj. temple edit
kIrti m. temple edit
kezapakSa m. temple
devAvasatha m. temple
pariSkanda m. temple
maGgalAvAsa m. temple
maGgalAya m. temple
mahAlaya m. temple
yAgamaNDapa m. temple
vibudhAvAsa m. temple
vIhAra m. temple
surAlaya m. temple
surAvAsa m. temple
prAsAda m. temple
Mandir/a m. temple
Devalaya temple

Can you now tell us what we can add to your "is" to make.."lam"!!

You need help.
You are south asian man?
Iswar is quite a funny name...how about Ishvar and Ishwar?

Now we can have

ISH- Mandir....LOL!!! instead of Islam...lol...
ISH-Vihar?

You are a dumbo....
Fortunately we have a few Sanskrit experts about.
Alex WM

London, UK

#195326 Nov 20, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you to decide what true greatness is and what it is not? If you go and create your own universes or even just your own world, then maybe we can talk and you can truly be the judge of things and enlighten me. You might learn a new thing or two during the process if you ever could undertake it.
I always love it when people decide if God exists or not based on whether God acts like THEY think that God should act like, and if God does not, then God is deemed as non existent. They treat their own perceptions as the center of the universe almost as though they themselves created it, and they treat their own understandings and judgements as the measuring stick.
Get back to work, seeker!!
Otherwise your contract will be very short again.
I know it is tempting to come here...
Well...I am doing the same..lol
I should practise what i preach...
take care
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195327 Nov 20, 2013
So Joel, while I do not deny possibilities that you mention, my problem is how you apply arbitrary rules and levels to these things when there really is nothing that says these varying levels exist at all. I also see the word "consciousness" being misused and being applied to things that it was never meant to be applied to. So it's not the exploratory ideas that I have a problem with. Anything is possible and my mind is very open. But when people start applying arbitrary rules and create arbitrary buzzwords, this is when I start to have a problem with it and see it as nothing more than arbitrary invention full of conjecture. And conjecture is even fine, as long as it is not treated as fact. But people such as yourself treat it as fact.

As Lao Tzu said thousands of years ago. "Those that know do not say, those that say do not know". He was essentially talking about many things of actual reality being beyond the capabilities of words, descriptions and concepts and that they can only be experienced.

An example that one author gave, was a story of the pupils asking the master what Lao Tzu's dictum meant. And the master replies, you all know what the fragrance of a rose is, right? And they say they do. So then he says, put it into words, and they all fell silent. You can't even correctly put the fragrance of a rose into words, all that you can do is to provide possibly misleading comparisons. One has to actually smell a rose before they can know. And a rose is the simplest of examples. It gets even worse when we go into far more abstract ideas.

There were very good reasons for Jesus speaking in the very cryptic, abstract manner that he often spoke in, and there were very good reasons for him to not even bother to go into detail. He seemed to be saying, just trust and experience it for yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Thu thetruth 4,348
News This Halloween, Think of Islam as a Religion of... May 24 Im a poet and I k... 2
News Who Is Allah? (Jul '08) May 22 Joel 13,168
News Atheist billboard near Lincoln Tunnel scheduled... (Nov '10) May 19 Patrick 219
Convert me from Agnostic to Atheist May 19 New Beginning 1
News Witches for Sanders? Democratic Candidate Finds... May 16 Truth 2
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) May 16 Eagle 12 770
More from around the web