Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 251059 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Alex WM

London, UK

#194014 Oct 30, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe---Greetings to my brothers and fellow Muslims meaning those who submit to God.
Seeker---If Islam is correct, then Christianity cannot be correct, and Jesus never sacrificed on the cross.
HughBe--- As I understand my own words above I NEVER spoke about the correctness of Islam or for that matter any other religion.
I shall reread them to see if I can come to a true understanding of my own words.
On the matter of correctness there are a lot of WRONGS in Christianity. Let me illustrate, there are an overabundance of FALSE doctrines, LIES and downright exploitation of people and here I am thinking about the SUCKING out of the disciples money.
In addition to the above your very attitude towards me illustrates another wrong that is to be found in Christianity.
I tell you the truth, Jesus, the Christ, is embarrassed by many who call themselves Christians but he KNOWS that they are none of His.
Seeker---So could the dog please take the cat costume off and be a little more forthcoming? What's the problem in telling everyone that you are a Muslim?
HughBe--- Are Muslims dogs? I am certainly no dog. Understand this, YOU have NEVER met a more forthright person than me and YOU shall NEVER do so again.
God has given you wisdom.
you are truly blessed my dear brother.
Alex WM

London, UK

#194015 Oct 30, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
News ---Muhammad himself killed innocnet people and Quran sanctions it is okay for Muslims to kill a varity of numbers of people. Perhaps it is sin by your definition, but certainly not by the definition of allah/mohammad.
Alex----You need help.
HughBe--- The approach above is why Joel holds Christianity, Judaism et.al. in contempt. Joel will point out that the God of the Tanakh sanctioned the MURDER of the innocent.
In all that is said and done be balanced, fair and get understanding.
That is very true HughBe.
I think that "News" claims to be a Christian unless I am mistaken.
He of all people should read his Old Testament and understand what goes on there when it comes to murders.
Peace.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194016 Oct 30, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Alex the gay crackpot needs a cute 12 year old boy to massage his cracks and outgrowths. LOL

Careful JOEL THUMBS UP,
If you keep talking that way, before you know it Alex will have his thumb up your butt, and then something else after that. The second part is his secret surprise.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194017 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings my dear HughBe.
I have not looked at the exchanges between Seeker and you
Hmmm...okay.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#194018 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings my dear HughBe.
I have not looked at the exchanges between Seeker and you but I saw this and wanted to reply!
Greetings my brother and fellow believer who submits to God.
All the best.
Alex
Greetings and may God bless you, Alex.
Alex WM

London, UK

#194019 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
America did not destroy Iraq or Afghanistan. Muslims destroyed them themselves by blowing each other up after America arrived. And you can say that this was all because of American occupation, but that is the old, false excuse, because obviously after America left Iraq, the violence still continues on just as bad as it ever was. And I distinctly remember the legend told that if American occupation left, all problems would be solved and they were the root of all problems. Well, obviously, reality now says something different. If America made a mistake, it was not leaving the harsh dictators that were in place alone. Obviously it looks like they should have now. They were criticized for appeasing them, and they were criticized for removing them. So no matter what America does, it will always be wrong because people who can't straighten out their own business have to blame someone else for their own faults. And that is simply an admission of their own problems that they can't solve, so they project the blame on to others. And that is pathetic, and it comes from desperation of not being able to figure out why they can't solve their own problems, so the blame always gets shifted to someone else.
Shall we save a lot of time by agreeing to disagree, seeker?
Why can't you ask the very simple question that your post creates?
Why the hell was America there in the first place?
Walk into a country destroy it, destroy a delicate balance of power between its inhabitants, promote hatred, poverty, power vacuum, misinformation, total destruction of infrastructure reducing it to stone age and then blame them for killing each other?
You really ought to go there and find out.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#194020 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
God has given you wisdom.
you are truly blessed my dear brother.
The truth is, I pray for wisdom and so if I have it God be praised.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194021 Oct 30, 2013
Alex, I KNOW you at least saw this part because it was re-quoted in the post you read from Hugh Be.

"What's the problem in telling everyone that you are a Muslim?"

I didn't notice that he answered that question. So far, he won't tell anybody why he would not convert to Islam, he only says that he won't. But if he doesn't need to convert to Islam because he already is a Muslim, he would seem to have a problem telling people that he is one. So either way that one slices it, there seems to be a problem.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#194022 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
That is very true HughBe.
I think that "News" claims to be a Christian unless I am mistaken.
He of all people should read his Old Testament and understand what goes on there when it comes to murders.
Peace.
noted
Alex WM

London, UK

#194023 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well they are stupid, because it is not an attack on Islam at all. If America wanted to eradicate or attack Islam, they wouldn't have fought for Muslims in Bosnia, and even worse, against Christians. Go ask any Muslim country to fight against Muslims to defend Christians, and it will never happen. FACT!!! Not theory. FACT!!!! Forget about what people say, look at what they do.
Did you just call the murderous Serbian nazi killers as "Christians"?
You really ought to start travelling to other countries, Seeker.

"Saving private Bosnian" story is wearing thin.
For one bosnia, america has destroyed the lives of millions of Muslims.

The country was almost destroyed before the world got involved.
The Bosnians did not see themselves as fundamentalist "Muslims" either.
They were no less westernised than other Europeans.
They were all coming out of a communist era and it was a different power game

Just shouting "FACT FACT" does not make it fact.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#194024 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the fact that sin is strictly a human characteristic anyway, and therefore God could not have any part of that? Why would God even need to sin if God makes the rules? And if he does make the rules about what sin is and is not, then how could he ever sin?
<quoted text>
So are you saying that Jesus was crucified and resurrected? I just want to be clear about what you actually think.
HughBe---First, please answer these specific questions. Thanks.
What prevents God from SINNING? Is it His power or Character?

Seeker---How about the fact that sin is strictly a human characteristic anyway, and therefore God could not have any part of that? Why would God even need to sin if God makes the rules? And if he does make the rules about what sin is and is not, then how could he ever sin?

HughBe--- Was Satan a HUMAN? He sinned, as I recall. It is my understanding that many who make rules also break them and so I don't see why God would be an exception.

FOCUS, some say that Adam had the CHARACTER of God and I am making the observation that with his Godlike character he sinned readily. With this in mind I am saying that God can also sin. Now go back and answer the questions above.

HughBe -- I have an unwavering conviction that Jesus, the Christ, was killed because of envy, jealousy and bad mind but such were the necessary conditions for the fulfillment of Isaiah 53.

Seeker--So are you saying that Jesus was crucified and resurrected? I just want to be clear about what you actually think.

HughBe--- Why are you doubting your ability to understand plain speech? Put away doubts as it is a SIN.
Alex WM

London, UK

#194025 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
And they are supposed to do that by next summer. And thank God they are. I CAN'T WAIT!!! Then, everyone can grab a bag of popcorn and watch the REAL fighting begin and see what Muslims are best at. And then we can watch Muslims blame America for even being there in the first place, and then blaming them for leaving too soon. That's the way it always goes down. No matter what happens, America has to be to blame, and that's because they can't figure out their own irrational behavior for themselves, so therefore, to figure it out, they blame someone else. And that is PATHETIC!!!
Seeker, I would have given you more credit than that, but clearly your knowledge of non “fox” world affairs is almost zero.
America has gone in destroyed many muslim countries to make money out of them.
Iraqi oil has more than paid for all the ad”ventures” and business ventures using bombs.
Afghanistan deals have been done as well with clever access all to trillions worth of minerals.
The price is paid by the poor folks who live there who have all been messed up by loving American soldiers who indiscriminately murdered the innocent.
Alex WM

London, UK

#194026 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Alex the gay crackpot needs a cute 12 year old boy to massage his cracks and outgrowths. LOL
Careful JOEL THUMBS UP,
If you keep talking that way, before you know it Alex will have his thumb up your butt, and then something else after that. The second part is his secret surprise.
Got it in one!
Alex WM

London, UK

#194027 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
Alex, I KNOW you at least saw this part because it was re-quoted in the post you read from Hugh Be.
I didn't notice that he answered that question. So far, he won't tell anybody why he would not convert to Islam, he only says that he won't. But if he doesn't need to convert to Islam because he already is a Muslim, he would seem to have a problem telling people that he is one. So either way that one slices it, there seems to be a problem.
Seeker here is the thing...
Do you believe that you submit to the will of G-d from Genesis?
Please say "yes" so I can say you are a "Muslim" by definition.
Welcome dear Muslim
Alex WM

London, UK

#194028 Oct 30, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is, I pray for wisdom and so if I have it God be praised.
My crude yet simple prayer:
"O' God, thank you for giving me the wisdom to recognise your existence majesty mercy and love and the ability submit to your will.
Give me humility in times of plenty and give me courage in times of hardship"
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#194029 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
Seeker----So far, he won't tell anybody why he would not convert to Islam

HughBe--- I believe that you are struggling with the idea of converting to Islam. Your struggle reminds me in principle of Frijoles' struggle when he was struggling with his homosexual desires/attractions and in the end he gave and became a FULL convert.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194030 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Shall we save a lot of time by agreeing to disagree, seeker?
Why can't you ask the very simple question that your post creates?
Why the hell was America there in the first place?
Ummm...Uhhh...Osama bin Laden? Saddam Hussein? I don't know.
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Walk into a country destroy it, destroy a delicate balance of power between its inhabitants,
Well I'll grant you that. Mullah Omar and Saddam Hussein should have been left in place. Just don't tell the Shiites of Afghanistan and Iraq that.
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
promote hatred,
Well let's see, Saddam gassed how many of his own people? And the war between the Taliban and the United Islamic Front for the Salvation of Afghanistan were not hatred of each other? The US promoted hatred out of nowhere? Okay, I get it now.
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
poverty, power vacuum, misinformation, total destruction of infrastructure reducing it to stone age and then blame them for killing each other?
Poverty? Already there in Afghanistan, but not in Iraq. But when power plants were restored and new schools were built or rebuilt, who sabotaged those efforts and continually blew them back up again? Infrastructure reduced to the stone age? So bombing Saddam's palaces reduced their infrastructure to the stone age? Or was it the willful sabotage efforts that happened anytime these things or anything else was rebuilt? Let's face it, anytime America tried to do the right thing, it was always sabotaged, and there was one very simple reason for that. America could never be seen to be doing the right thing, even if it meant their own people suffering because of this desire. So who are the real villains? It was always about pride before practicality. But like I said, in contradiction to lies that Muslims constantly wove about America, America never had any intention of staying long term in either place, no matter how much Muslims lied about that. In fact, they only had to stay longer than they wanted and waste more of their money because they couldn't stop the people from attacking and killing each other. And apparently, they never will. And after they leave, it will only get worse. And I say , GREAT!!! Let them all do what they do best. Kill each other. Why would somebody be stupid enough to stand between two pit bulls and try to control them? Let them do what they were bred to do.
Alex WM

London, UK

#194031 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Did he start quoting verses from the Gospel when he did that like the meat cleaver twins did from the Quran when they did what they did in the UK? Well? Well?
That horrible murderer killed an innocent old man and bombed a few mosques in UK.
Also murdering innocent villagers several times a day in Iraq and Afghanistan using “neat killing machines” does not make those killings any better than the crazy meat cleaver boys.
Just because we kill people using drones does not make us any better.
Seeker, you sometimes come up with good posts and then you come up with the most childish posts.
Try to be consistent.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#194032 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you just call the murderous Serbian nazi killers as "Christians"?
You really ought to start travelling to other countries, Seeker.
"Saving private Bosnian" story is wearing thin.
For one bosnia, america has destroyed the lives of millions of Muslims.
The country was almost destroyed before the world got involved.
The Bosnians did not see themselves as fundamentalist "Muslims" either.
They were no less westernised than other Europeans.
They were all coming out of a communist era and it was a different power game
Just shouting "FACT FACT" does not make it fact.
Alex--Just shouting "FACT FACT" does not make it fact.

HughBe--- Correct but it is a useful way of convincing yourself and there is the possible bonus of some others.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#194033 Oct 30, 2013
Oh i see
MM does not given a tranlation, but purposely puts the name in one piece.

And C makes a mess(ianic interpretation and not a literal translation):
For a child has been born to us, a son given to us, and the authority is upon his shoulder, and the wondrous adviser, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, called his name, "the prince of peace."

is born...and (hezekiah) will be called by others:
Pele-joez-el-gibbor-Abi-ad-sar -shalom;
Pele ["Miracle"], Yo'etz ["Counselor"],messia h-anointed king deemed good,{ El-mighty one ["God"], Gibbor ["Hero"-mighty one]}=true to the mighty one, and Avi 'Ad Shalom ["Everlasting Father of Peace"]

First:
The Priestly Blessing from an Ancient Hebrew perspective.

YHWH will kneel before you presenting gifts and will guard you with a hedge of protection,

YHWH will cause his wholeness of being to shine toward you bringing order and he will provide you with love, sustenance and friendship,

YHWH will lift up his wholeness of being and look upon you and he will set in place all you need to be whole and complete.
---
I've talked before about the Mutual deal between Ha_Shem and the people. G-d acquires land and people, the people acquire land and a personal god.
The anointed kind has a special place and is blessed by g-d and vice versa.
Which does not make him god, but shines through his acts, is interpreted that way, and also let's god shine.
I do not understand why people can not understand this!
---
Most of the following is taken from Arnold Fruchtembaum's book 'Messianic Christology'.

1. Isaiah 9:6 ‘For a child is born unto us, a son is given unto us; and the government is upon his shoulder; and his name is called Pele-joez-el-gibbor-Abi-ad-sar -shalom;’

The discussion leading to MM quoting the whole name as is follows from discussion on how the tanakh differs from the translation called the O.T., therefore the choice (1917 discussion).
Hezekiah(the child born, also known as Mahar-shlal-hash-baz=a.k.a.imm anuel god is with us.
Al names in full the second also containing god and a double meaning, to restitution-restoration of the nation under the 'good' anointed king massiah Hezekiah.(with hindsight thus deemed a good king, otherwise the socalled prophesy would not have been included!)

In the Targum of Isaiah we read: "His name has been called from old, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, He who lives forever, the Anointed One (Messiah), in whose days peace shall increase upon us."

Midrash Mishle, S. Buber edition: The Messiah is called by eight names: Yinnon, Tzemah, Pele ["Miracle"], Yo'etz ["Counselor"], Mashiah ["Messiah"], El ["God"], Gibbor ["Hero"], and Avi 'Ad Shalom ["Eternal Father of Peace"]

As to why MM leaves the name intact as is:
The great rabbi Ibn Ezra said: There are some interpreters who say that ‘wonderful, counselor, mighty God, everlasting Father’ are the names of God, and that only ‘prince of peace’ is the name of the child. But according to my view, the right interpretation is that they are all the names of the child.(Walter Riggans, Yeshua Ben David [Wowborough, East Sussex; MARC, 1995], p. 370)

>>>>In the Targum of Isaiah we read: "His name has been called from old, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, He who lives forever, the Anointed One (Messiah), in whose days peace shall increase upon us."

>>>> Midrash Mishle, S. Buber edition: The Messiah is called by eight names: Yinnon, Tzemah, Pele ["Miracle"], Yo'etz ["Counselor"], Mashiah ["Messiah"], El ["God"], Gibbor ["Hero"], and Avi 'Ad Shalom ["Eternal Father of Peace"]

The great rabbi Ibn Ezra said: There are some interpreters who say that ‘wonderful, counselor, mighty God, everlasting Father’ are the names of God, and that only ‘prince of peace’ is the name of the child. But according to my view, the right interpretation is that they are all the names of the child.(Walter Riggans, Yeshua Ben David [Wowborough, East Sussex; MARC, 1995], p. 370)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 54 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,351
News This Halloween, Think of Islam as a Religion of... May 24 Im a poet and I k... 2
News Who Is Allah? (Jul '08) May 22 Joel 13,168
News Atheist billboard near Lincoln Tunnel scheduled... (Nov '10) May 19 Patrick 219
Convert me from Agnostic to Atheist May 19 New Beginning 1
News Witches for Sanders? Democratic Candidate Finds... May 16 Truth 2
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) May 16 Eagle 12 770
More from around the web