Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 220400 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Alex WM

London, UK

#186871 Aug 27, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
And Mary was the miraculous woman, bro.
I have also added my own view on the conception. Would appreciate if bro thinks it is quite possible.
Salaams
BMZ
That goes without saying, dear bro.
When Imams from Makkah recite the verses concerning mother Maryam during Tharaweeh prayers they often get very emotional knowing how much she suffered for her unshakeable faith/piety.

Yes, I have agreed with your view on conception.
Thank you.
Salaams
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#186872 Aug 27, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
And what was that thing which he breathed upon the disciples here, long before the day of the Pentecost?
John 20:22 "And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit."
The Holy Spirit of God is not a thing. He is God.

NET BIBLE
He breathed on them and said,“Receive the Holy Spirit.” The use of the Greek verb breathed on (&#7952;&#956;&#96 6;&#965;&#963;&#94 0;&#969;, emfusaw) to describe the action of Jesus here recalls Gen 2:7 in the LXX, where “the Lord God formed man out of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” This time, however, it is Jesus who is breathing the breath-Spirit of eternal life, life from above, into his disciples (cf. 3:3-10). Furthermore there is the imagery of Ezek 37:1-14, the prophecy concerning the resurrection of the dry bones: In 37:9 the Son of Man is told to prophesy to the “wind-breath-Spirit” to come and breathe on the corpses, so that they will live again. In 37:14 the Lord promised,“I will put my Spirit within you, and you will come to life, and I will place you in your own land.” In terms of ultimate fulfillment the passage in Ezek 37 looks at the regeneration of Israel immediately prior to the establishment of the messianic kingdom. The author saw in what Jesus did for the disciples at this point a partial and symbolic fulfillment of Ezekiel’s prophecy, much as Peter made use of the prophecy of Joel 2:28-32 in his sermon on the day of Pentecost as recorded in Acts 2:17-21. What then did Jesus do for the disciples in John 20:22? It appears that in light of the symbolism of the new creation present here, as well as the regeneration symbolism from the Ezek 37 passage, that Jesus at this point breathed into the disciples the breath of eternal life. This was in the form of the Holy Spirit, who was to indwell them. It is instructive to look again at 7:38-39, which states,“Just as the scripture says,‘Out from within him will flow rivers of living water.’(Now he said this about the Spirit whom those who believed in him were going to receive; for the Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.”) But now in 20:22 Jesus was glorified, so the Spirit could be given. Had the disciples not believed in Jesus before? It seems clear that they had, since their belief is repeatedly affirmed, beginning with 2:11. But it also seems clear that even on the eve of the crucifixion, they did not understand the necessity of the cross (16:31-33). And even after the crucifixion, the disciples had not realized that there was going to be a resurrection (20:9). Ultimate recognition of who Jesus was appears to have come to them only after the postresurrection appearances (note the response of Thomas, who was not present at this incident, in v. 28). Finally, what is the relation of this incident in 20:22 to the account of the coming of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2? It appears best to view these as two separate events which have two somewhat different purposes. This was the giving of life itself, which flowed out from within (cf. 7:38-39). The giving of power would occur later, on the day of Pentecost – power to witness and carry out the mission the disciples had been given.(It is important to remember that in the historical unfolding of God’s program for the church, these events occurred in a chronological sequence which, after the church has been established, is not repeatable today.)
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#186873 Aug 27, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
God had already promised her a son. Of course, God would not have been silly to give her a daughter.
Every child is conceived and created in his/her mother's womb. Nothing extra-ordinary there.
What is extra-ordinary is that a virgin, untouched by man, conceived a child.
It is my understanding that the Father is the one who determines the sex of a child. This time God determined it.

Mary conceived by the power of God.
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#186874 Aug 27, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Muhammad did come from the seed of Issac.
Issac's Israelite seed was cut off.
Issac's seed continued and was not cut off.

One would think your Allah would have made a sign out of Muhammad's conception -- born of a virgin -- in order to give his stamp of approval of his prophet-hood.

Instead according to Islam your Allah sent the angel Gabriel to asked him to read when he would have known according to Islam that Muhammad could not read.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#186875 Aug 27, 2013
Bryant wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Spirit of God is not a thing. He is God.
NET BIBLE
He breathed on them and said,“Receive the Holy Spirit.” The use of the Greek verb breathed on (&#7952;&#956;&#96 6;&#965;&#963;&#94 0;&#969;, emfusaw) to describe the action of Jesus here recalls Gen 2:7 in the LXX, where “the Lord God formed man out of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” This time, however, it is Jesus who is breathing the breath-Spirit of eternal life, life from above, into his disciples (cf. 3:3-10). Furthermore there is the imagery of Ezek 37:1-14, the prophecy concerning the resurrection of the dry bones: In 37:9 the Son of Man is told to prophesy to the “wind-breath-Spirit” to come and breathe on the corpses, so that they will live again. In 37:14 the Lord promised,“I will put my Spirit within you, and you will come to life, and I will place you in your own land.” In terms of ultimate fulfillment the passage in Ezek 37 looks at the regeneration of Israel immediately prior to the establishment of the messianic kingdom. The author saw in what Jesus did for the disciples at this point a partial and symbolic fulfillment of Ezekiel’s prophecy, much as Peter made use of the prophecy of Joel 2:28-32 in his sermon on the day of Pentecost as recorded in Acts 2:17-21. What then did Jesus do for the disciples in John 20:22? It appears that in light of the symbolism of the new creation present here, as well as the regeneration symbolism from the Ezek 37 passage, that Jesus at this point breathed into the disciples the breath of eternal life. This was in the form of the Holy Spirit, who was to indwell them. It is instructive to look again at 7:38-39, which states,“Just as the scripture says,‘Out from within him will flow rivers of living water.’(Now he said this about the Spirit whom those who believed in him were going to receive; for the Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.”) But now in 20:22 Jesus was glorified, so the Spirit could be given. Had the disciples not believed in Jesus before? It seems clear that they had, since their belief is repeatedly affirmed, beginning with 2:11. But it also seems clear that even on the eve of the crucifixion, they did not understand the necessity of the cross (16:31-33). And even after the crucifixion, the disciples had not realized that there was going to be a resurrection (20:9). Ultimate recognition of who Jesus was appears to have come to them only after the postresurrection appearances (note the response of Thomas, who was not present at this incident, in v. 28). Finally, what is the relation of this incident in 20:22 to the account of the coming of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2? It appears best to view these as two separate events which have two somewhat different purposes. This was the giving of life itself, which flowed out from within (cf. 7:38-39). The giving of power would occur later, on the day of Pentecost – power to witness and carry out the mission the disciples had been given.(It is important to remember that in the historical unfolding of God’s program for the church, these events occurred in a chronological sequence which, after the church has been established, is not repeatable today.)
Please cut that irrelevant story short and address my post and answer the question, if you really can.

And what was that thing which he breathed upon the disciples here, long before the day of the Pentecost?

John 20:22 "And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit."

So, it is wrong to say that the alleged Holy Spirit came only on the day of the Pentecost. Since the Holy Spirit was already blown by Jesus on the disciples, therefore the one on the day of the Pentecost was nothing new.

Here, the comforter, advocate, friend, helper, etc gets rfeuted.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#186876 Aug 27, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
What place Jesus meant? Rome? England? Moscow? Greece? Cairo?.... Brazil?
The answer is MAKKAH!!
He meant the kingdom of god.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#186877 Aug 27, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
HINDU CASTE SYSTEM:
After a thorough re-think, I've concluded that the Hindu caste system is mumbo jumbo - there's neither a logical nor a scientific basis to support this weird, silly and discriminatory hypothesis.
This caste system is supposedly based on group genetic distinctiveness that sets aside groups of people having similar natural instincts.
Well, if a Brahmin is genetically distinct from a person of the lowest caste called Shuddra, then, the differences fail to show up in brain wiring, hormonal functioning, genetic patterns and the like.
There's no biological proof to support the caste claims of Hindu retards.
A person's force fields are closely tied with his physical basis and so if a Brahmin is said to have a finer or a superior force field when compared to the lower castes which are Kashtriya, Vaishya and Shuddra then these differences in the force fields ought to have manifested in the genetic makeup, brain wiring, hormonal functioning and the like. But, there is no observable differences in these biological characteristic of people belonging to the different castes. We often see Shuddras having better martial and endurance instincts than the warrior caste which is the Kshatriya caste, we regularly see Vaishyas outperforming Brahmins in intellectual activity, we observe Brahmin businessmen outperforming the others, we also observe many of the lower castes being spiritually and morally superior to the Brahmins.
Despite the so-called virtues of the caste system, India is home to the largest number of sex perverts, thieves, sexually dysfunctional, murderers, male chauvinistic pigs, racists, demon-worshippers, demon-possessed gurus, prostitutes, wife-beaters, AIDS patients, beggars, goons, mass murderers, cowards, diseased and mentally ill humans. LOL.
Besides, we see people of different ethnicities like the Europeans, Japs, South Koreans and Chinese being saner and healthier and far more creative and wealthier than the Hindus and they easily outperform the high caste Hindus in every constructive task and also display better ethics and show more valor than these so-called caste Hindus.
Well, there are many other pertinent points that can be raised to demolish the superstitious and ignorant hypothesis of caste and its so-called superiority.
Well, sexual compatibility among human beings of any ethnic background is a fact. One should only not marry those with debilitating diseases or in the same family. The rest is fine and so anyone can marry anyone else without fear of being labeled low caste or of abnormal breed and the like which are only so many superstitions of the Hindu sages.
But in the past we already told you that the cast system was a discriminatory way to divide your society. Only now after a thorough re-thinking you arrived at the same conclusion? LOL

Why do you call other people stupid, retarded and non-intelligent when you present all those characteristics at their fullest?
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#186878 Aug 27, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Please cut that irrelevant story short and address my post and answer the question, if you really can.
So, it is wrong to say that the alleged Holy Spirit came only on the day of the Pentecost. Since the Holy Spirit was already blown by Jesus on the disciples, therefore the one on the day of the Pentecost was nothing new.
Here, the comforter, advocate, friend, helper, etc gets rfeuted.
The disciples received the gifts of the Spirit, to qualify them for the work he now sent them to do, and which were not now actually bestowed; but this breathing on them, and the words that attended it, were a symbol, pledge, and confirmation, of what they were to receive on the day of Pentecost: hence it appears, that it is the Spirit of God, who, by his gifts and grace, makes and qualifies men to be ministers of the Gospel; and our Lord by this action, and these words, gives a very considerable proof of his deity.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#186879 Aug 27, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
My dear sweet Shamma, please do not digress.
****The links you give are of no use to me as I do not open Islamophobic links to give them more credibility.
If the Quran says such things about the Prophet then please point out. We know what the Quran says and if the Prophet went against it then people would have questioned him and kicked him out or even moved away from him. Islam would not have survived.
**** Why do you avoid my SIMPLE question?
**** Is Jesus
"the Only Begotten Son of god" or
"the Only Begotten Son of god the father"?
Please tell us without insulting or involving others!
On other words Alex you are an Illiterate Muslim!
Case closed!

Location hidden

#186880 Aug 27, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilarious!
And that to you means, "He was ridiculously claiming to be the Father". Is that so?
After he had said that, all the disciples stood up and said, "Lord Jesus Christ, we believed that you are the Messiah, then we believed you are the Son of God and now we believe that you are our Father. You are everything rolled into one."
But Philip forgot to ask him, "Lord, can you also show us the Holy Ghost?"
if he had asked, Jesus would have given the same reply and all would have believed that he was the Ghost too.
Muslims are illiterate!
They have no knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong!
CASE CLOSED!

Location hidden

#186881 Aug 27, 2013
ashkarlovesALLAH wrote:
shamma is illiterate!
go read holy quran You will feel better

I already read the Quran.
That's why I am able to be truthful with you and tell you the Quran promotes insanity in the mind of Muslims.
God created us with the gift a rational mind, and Muslims reject that gift from God

You are illiterate!
You are unable to apply rational reasoning and logic to your thinking.

You are programed by Muhammad's words in the Quran to accept Muhammad without questioning Muhammad's use of evil to gain victory over those that reject Muhammad as prophet.

If you had the knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong from learning Gods 10 Commandments, you would reject Muhammad as a prophet from God.

You would see Muhammad's laws of Islam are Anti-God.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#186882 Aug 27, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Muslims are illiterate!
They have no knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong!
CASE CLOSED!
Actually, I was expecting a good response from you on what I wrote:

Hilarious!

And that to you means, "He was ridiculously claiming to be the Father". Is that so?

After he had said that, all the disciples stood up and said, "Lord Jesus Christ, we believed that you are the Messiah, then we believed you are the Son of God and now we believe that you are our Father. You are everything rolled into one."

if he had asked, Jesus would have given the same reply and all would have believed that he was the Ghost too.
Alex WM

London, UK

#186883 Aug 27, 2013
Bryant wrote:
<quoted text>
The disciples received the gifts of the Spirit, to qualify them for the work he now sent them to do, and which were not now actually bestowed; but this breathing on them, and the words that attended it, were a symbol, pledge, and confirmation, of what they were to receive on the day of Pentecost: hence it appears, that it is the Spirit of God, who, by his gifts and grace, makes and qualifies men to be ministers of the Gospel; and our Lord by this action, and these words, gives a very considerable proof of his deity.
These make NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.
This falls FLAT on its face because the disciples were PETRIFIED of honest Paul when he tried to coax them into his evil empire!
They were hiding in fear!
How come?
If "honest" paul had received the SAME gift as that of the original disciples they would have recognised "honest" paul as a man of god.
But they did not!
Oooops....did the spirit fail or the gift of spirit was correct and honest paul was not honest after all.
You decide!
Alex WM

London, UK

#186884 Aug 27, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>On other words Alex you are an Illiterate Muslim!
Case closed!
How does is work sweet Shamma?
1. I ask a question
2. You don't answer it at all.
3. You say "Muslims are illiterate...case closed"

Let us try AGAIN for the benefit of international readers....

**** Is Jesus
Alex WM

London, UK

#186885 Aug 27, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilarious!
Brilliant, bro.
I almost missed it.

Like I said before...how can the three be co-equal, co-eternal, consubstantial..cotemporaneous etc etc, if TWO NEVER died and only ONE died! LOL...

Now it really is "CASE CLOSED"!

Salaams
Alex WM

London, UK

#186886 Aug 27, 2013
Why don't Christian name the "father" of Jesus?

Joseph?
god the father?
God?
holy ghost?
a.n.o?
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#186887 Aug 27, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I was expecting a good response from you on what I wrote:
Hilarious!
Now I know what it looks like to read something written by someone without a brain.
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#186888 Aug 27, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
Why don't Christian name the "father" of Jesus?
Joseph?
god the father?
God?
holy ghost?
a.n.o?
We do. Jesus of Nazareth's father was the one who caused His conception -- the God of Israel -- the Creator, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and the God made know by His Messiah.
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#186889 Aug 27, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
These make NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.
This falls FLAT on its face because the disciples were PETRIFIED of honest Paul when he tried to coax them into his evil empire!
They were hiding in fear!
How come?
If "honest" paul had received the SAME gift as that of the original disciples they would have recognised "honest" paul as a man of god.
But they did not!
Oooops....did the spirit fail or the gift of spirit was correct and honest paul was not honest after all.
You decide!
Paul persecuted believers in the Messiah before he, too, became a follower and then Paul was baptised.

Location hidden

#186890 Aug 27, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
How does is work sweet Shamma?
1. I ask a question
2. You don't answer it at all.
3. You say "Muslims are illiterate...case closed"
Let us try AGAIN for the benefit of international readers....
**** Is Jesus
You are ignorant of God Alex!
And you are unable to comprehend the teachings of God in the scriptures.

What does the religion of Islam teach about God Alex?
Does it not teach that God is not comprehensible?
What does that mean Alex?

It means humans cannot identify God as being God.
It means if God seeks to communicate with us we are unable to understand a word God speaks to us.

It means God is not comprehensible, but God is embraceable, and knowable to us through one of the persons of the Trinity of God who is in essence of God Himself, His Son Jesus Christ.

It is Jesus who teaches us all about God the Father.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who exactly was Gjoub, and should I trust him? (Mar '09) 6 hr Kathwynn 503
Pagans gather for elaborate Wiccan funeral of c... 7 hr shell 1
News the Beheading Sura: Robert Spencer's Blogging t... May 23 Dragnet52 5
Covertly clearing negative energy from the office (Sep '07) May 21 Debra 49
News No, American Christianity is not dead May 19 New Perspective 1
News POLL: Americans Turning Away from Religion May 15 Bible boy 1
News Carl Sagan as prophet of neo-Pagan Atheism May 12 geezerjock 1
More from around the web