Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 220755 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185817 Aug 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
In olden days, they used to have such long names.
The boy Pele-joez-el-gibbor-Abi-ad-sar -shalom never told his playmates that he was the Wonderful counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, who called him the prince of peace.
Didn't I ask why they didn't put that specific part and only that part into English when they put the rest of the page into English? Why would they do that?
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaiah, Ahaz and the lady never declared that their son was the Wonderful counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, who called him the prince of peace.
You twisted the verse and tried to make it look like God was calling him these things. It says he shall be called those things, and that is what Christians call him. It doesn't say anything about God calling him that or specific people calling him that.
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Another interesting name was: "Maher-shalal-hash-baz ", which means something like "He rushed up to gain spoils" or "He hurried to get spoils".
It is absurd to find Jesus in somebody's Hebrew name.
Why are you changing the subject to something else?
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#185818 Aug 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but through Gabriel.
Did God ever speak to Jesus? Mind you I said TO Jesus.
rabbee: can't even get, the name Gabreeel right more or less Yeshooah. when even the alleged as apostles, were not sure WHO were THOSE, glowing Figures Yeshooah was talking to on the hill.

your using fake names, sure does not encourage anyone that you are telling the truth through someone else's lies. and i have a problem, with alleged angels who don't actually identify themselves. and leave people, to only to assume who they are. it's too easy for someone to be visited by hasatan, baal hamolech, or halooseefer and only claim it was gabreeel.

and there are more than just a few years, of Yeshooah's life that we don't know about. so it would be foolish, to even claim that G-D never visited HIM. and i get suspicious when people, only get one visit from an angel and no follow up or debriefing visits.
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#185819 Aug 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
It is absurd to find Jesus in somebody's Hebrew name.
Apparently this site does not accept other languages.

Jesus' Hebrew name would have been yehoshua) or translated (Joshua), which means YAHWEH is salvation.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185820 Aug 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Seeker.
Hope Buford gets it too.
I was ridiculing you and being sarcastic. Why are you always so clueless?
Chaste Indian

Kundan, India

#185821 Aug 19, 2013
Allah is a human trafficker!

The supplier of 72 Virgins!
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185822 Aug 19, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>i get suspicious when people, only get one visit from an angel and no follow up or debriefing visits.
I get suspicious when someone claims that God and angels talk to them and give them a special mission, and yet all they do is to post on topix.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185823 Aug 19, 2013
Bryant wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently this site does not accept other languages.
Jesus' Hebrew name would have been yehoshua) or translated (Joshua), which means YAHWEH is salvation.
What you say is 100% correct.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/joshua

USAGE: English, Biblical
OTHER SCRIPTS: &#1497;&#1456;&#14 92;&#1493;&#1465;& #1513;&#1473;&#1467; &#1506;&#1463; (Ancient Hebrew)
PRONOUNCED: JAH-sh&#601;-w&#601; (English), JAW-shw&#601; (English)[key]
Meaning & History
From the Hebrew name &#1497;&#1456;&#14 92;&#1493;&#1465;& #1513;&#1473;&#1467; &#1506;&#1463; (Yehoshu'a) meaning "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses, as told in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. As an English name, Joshua has been in use since the Protestant Reformation.

The name Jesus comes from a Greek translation of the Aramaic short form &#1497;&#1461;&#15 13;&#1473;&#1493;& #1468;&#1506;&#1463; (Yeshu'a), which was the real name of Jesus.
Related Names
See All Relations
Show Family Tree
DIMINUTIVE: Josh (English)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Yeshua (Ancient Aramaic), Essa, Isa, Issa, Yushua (Arabic), Iesous (Biblical Greek), Yehoshua, Yeshua (Biblical Hebrew), Iesus, Iosue (Biblical Latin), Jozua (Dutch), Josué(French), Iokua (Hawaiian), Yehoshua (Hebrew), Józsua (Hungarian), Giosuè(Italian), Josué(Portuguese), Josué(Spanish)
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#185824 Aug 19, 2013
CouldThisBeTrue wrote:
<quoted text>I actually did read that link. You make all sorts of accusations without merit. MOST normal people can read through your nonsense. No matter how you want to put it, the name JESUS does not mean SALVATION. Otherwise, they would have called him "Salvation" and not JESUS.
rabbee: yeah i have even a harder time, with Yeshooah's Surrogate parents. giving him a j name, that could not even exist for at least another thousand years.

and so if the name is a lie, then just who or what is it meant to enable? when it most certainly shall not be, the truth when it does happen. since lies, are only good for enabling liars.
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#185825 Aug 19, 2013
Bryant wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus' mother was a Jew and would have given Him a Hebrew name.
Jesus' Hebrew name was &#8207;&#1497;&#14 56;&#1492;&#1493;& #1465;&#1513;&#1467; &#1473;&#1506;&#14 63; (y&#7497;hôšua&#703;) &#8200;[of which &#8207;&#1497;&#14 61;&#1513;&#1473;& #1493;&#1468;&#1506; &#1463;&#8206; (y&#275;šûa&#703; = is the Anglicized version) is a later form], of which &#7992;&#951;&#963 ;&#959;&#8166;&#96 2; (I&#275;sous) is the Greek version; Joshua is the English rendering in the OT and Jesus is the English rendering in the NT.
He had a Hebrew name, an Aramaic name, and a Greek name &#8213; depending on the language used to speak to him or to speak about him.
rabbee: don't care what country i go to, my name does not change.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185826 Aug 19, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: don't care what country i go to, my name does not change.
Yes, Jimmie Boswell is Jimmie Boswell.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185827 Aug 19, 2013
CouldThisBeTrue wrote:
<quoted text>I actually did read that link. You make all sorts of accusations without merit. MOST normal people can read through your nonsense. No matter how you want to put it, the name JESUS does not mean SALVATION. Otherwise, they would have called him "Salvation" and not JESUS.
I quoted from a non religious site that has nothing to do with religion and merely has to do with the historical study of the etymology and history of first names, any first names, not just religious ones. And it does mean Yahweh is salvation. You should have researched a little more before you made a blanket denial. You seem to be guessing at a lot of things. I do not know why you seem to be so sure that you have the right understandings and everyone else does not.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/joshua
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185828 Aug 19, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>since lies, are only good for enabling liars.
You sure said it.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#185829 Aug 19, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I was ridiculing you and being sarcastic. Why are you always so clueless?
Am not surprised he didn't understand your obvious sarcastic response, after all he's bmz, braindead muslim zealot.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#185830 Aug 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Your name BMZ.
Means you are a warrior that belongs to Muhammad.
There is nothing godly about the religion of Muslims.
Every where in the world Muslims express them self as being wild evil savage dogs.
Its in the Quran!
Jihad means to struggle [fight] against those that don't accept the Muslim Allah god and his messenger Muhammad.
Muslims murder innocent people in their struggle against those that reject the Muslim Allah god and his messenger Muhammad.
There is nothing godly about that, that means salvation from sin Muslim.
That is the mind set of wild evil savage dogs!
I told you already that my name in Arabic, means Salvation and Savior.

However, I am not claiming to be God.

Also, I am not saying that I am Jesus.

But if you think that I am your God or I am Jesus just because my name means Savior, then it is your choice. I am not forcing you to believe that.

bmz

Singapore

#185831 Aug 19, 2013
Bryant wrote:
No. It is not biblical.

It is a man-made doctrine, which was concocted 5 centuries after Jesus was gone.

It receives no support from Jesus and has zero credibility.
bmz

Singapore

#185832 Aug 19, 2013
Seeker wrote:
This is how it can be said that technically speaking, Jesus was God, but also the Son of God, but also no one is greater than the Father. This is the only way that three seemingly contradictory statements can actually make sense, and they DO make perfect sense when someone views these statements through this lens. That doesn't mean I am proven right, but my interpretation works with every single verse you can come up with, so that is usually a good indication that one is on the right track to understanding them.
This is the most silly, the most absurd and the most ridiculous reasoning.

In order to say that Jesus was God, you need a statement from Jesus' own mouth saying, "I am God".

Heck, you do not even have a sentence direct from his own mouth saying, "I am the Son of God".

There is nothing direct from the horse's mouth, Seeker.

You make a very silly and a very poor case.

You should go back to John 17:3

"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God,

and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent"

It does not say, "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and me, your Son, whom you have sent".

By the way, the grammar in John 17:3 is absurd. If Jesus ahd said that himself, he would have said,

and me, whom you have sent."

John is the most forged gospel.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185833 Aug 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you already that my name in Arabic, means Salvation and Savior.
OMG, what were your parents thinking? What was the matter with the name Abu bin PuPu, which has an English translation of DiaperHead? Maybe they found you in a clothes rack at the Salvation Army and they saved you from being brought by a pedophile Mullah.
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#185834 Aug 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It is not biblical.
It is a man-made doctrine, which was concocted 5 centuries after Jesus was gone.
It receives no support from Jesus and has zero credibility.
I gave you links to the biblical support for the Trinity. Did you read them?

It is not a man made doctrine. It was not concocted 5 centuries after Jesus was gone.

What is your understanding of the Trinity? I asked you this before and I must have missed your reply.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#185835 Aug 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to say that Jesus was God, you need a statement from Jesus' own mouth saying, "I am God".
Heck, you do not even have a sentence direct from his own mouth saying, "I am the Son of God".
And that is what actually makes my interpretation work straight across the board and why there was no literal or official proclamation of this, because it seems to have actually been talking about what I think it is talking about.

John 14
6 Jesus answered,“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” 8 Philip said,“Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus answered:“Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say,‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

John 10
33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied,“but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.” 34 Jesus answered them,“Is it not written in your Law,‘I have said you are “gods”’[d]? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said,‘I am God’s Son’? 37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

These verses actually match my interpretation perfectly.
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing direct from the horse's mouth, Seeker.
You make a very silly and a very poor case.
And my interpretation works with that verse as well and explains it perfectly.
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not say, "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and me, your Son, whom you have sent".
By the way, the grammar in John 17:3 is absurd. If Jesus ahd said that himself, he would have said,
But if we say that it really means what I have explained, where Jesus is a physical manifestation of God in the respect that he can only do God's will and therefore God is actually doing and saying these things THROUGH Jesus' physical form so that God can manifest himself in a more tangible way, but it is actually God saying and doing these things, the verse suddenly makes perfect sense. But then again, I have to realize who I am talking to. I doubt you are capable of understanding a single word I am saying and I shouldn't assume that you do. I know better by now whereas I used to assume you did or would.
Bryant

Windsor, CT

#185836 Aug 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to say that Jesus was God, you need a statement from Jesus' own mouth saying, "I am God".[/quote]

Actually you don't. For one thing His Jewish listeners would not have understood what He meant and would have considered Him crazy. Instead the Christ made claims for Himself and only God could make for Himself. The Jews of Jesus' day understood perfectly well what He was claiming.

[QUOTE who="bmz"]<quoted text>

Heck, you do not even have a sentence direct from his own mouth saying, "I am the Son of God".[/quote]

If you had read the New Testament you would know that is not true.

There is nothing direct from the horse's mouth, Seeker. You make a very silly and a very poor case.[/quote]

Would it surprise you to know that "son of God" is another term used of the Messiah?

It does not say, "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and me, your Son, whom you have sent".[/quote]

Jesus said YHWH was the only true God as opposed to idols. Notice eternal life is know the One True God AND the Messiah and you don't know either.

Nonsense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 18 min Reason Personified 14,660
News The Divine Right of Kings and Generals (Aug '13) 23 hr The Prophet Smell... 28
HELP Wicca Covens in my area! (Jun '09) Sun NewWiccanMember 62
Who exactly was Gjoub, and should I trust him? (Mar '09) May 28 Kathwynn 503
Pagans gather for elaborate Wiccan funeral of c... May 28 shell 1
News the Beheading Sura: Robert Spencer's Blogging t... May 23 Dragnet52 5
Covertly clearing negative energy from the office (Sep '07) May 21 Debra 49
More from around the web