Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256382 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#183252 Jul 22, 2013
Seeker wrote:
01. What happens if we say that a prophesy seems to be talking about someone because someone has some similarities to the prophecy, but there is an element or part of that prophesy that would exclude that person from being the person prophesized?

It's pretty funny how you said that this part of Isaiah 9 doesn't mean much and could mean anybody.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders."

And you completely ignored the second part of the verse

"And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Now you saw that second part and purposefully ignored it when you tried to say that Isaiah 9 could mean anybody in your reply to me...

But either way, for the sake of argument, why don't we just say that Jesus was never prophecized in the OT at all and move the discussion forward, ok?

If you want to know how I try to judge whether a prophecy is talking about a certain person or not, here it is. First of all, telling whether a person meets a prophecy or not is always a guess because often prophecies can be cryptic..

Is that clear enough for you? Can we move on now?

MUQ, I forgot to mention one other thing that I use to determine whether a person fulfills a prophecy or not. If the person who is supposed to fulfill the prophesy even mentions the person who made the prophesy of him and says that that prophet spoke of him, then it becomes even more likely that the person is the person prophesized, because now the person himself is even specifically mentioning the person who prophesized him and is making the claim that he is that person who the prophet predicted would come.
Ans.

01. I think the "proper" approach should be to list "All" the qualities mentioned in the prophesy. And then check out "How many" are fulfilled by the candidate.

If we find fulfillment on "Most" points, then we will be sure that it is for the intended person.

If we find many "key element" missing, then we should look for another candidate.

02. Regarding Isaiah 9:6, I already mentioned that it speaks of someone who will free the Yoke of Jews, He will be a ruler and sit on the Throne of David.

In between , a "piece is added" that a "Child is Born, a Son is given…and he will be called such and such".

Jesus was not called all those names during his life time, his mission was very brief and he did not deliver Jews, nor he set on the Throne of David.

03. I do not want to "guess" to whom it was actually made. I am only concern with that it does not fit Jesus.

04. I think most Christians "jump" to fit any and every prophesy on the neck of Jesus, without fully analyzing all the qualities mentioned in that.

And that is why some "Zealots" say that there are hundreds and thousands of prophesies about Jesus and some say that "Jesus is the main subject of OT books"!!

05. I politely asked you to mention another "clear cut" prophesy about Jesus from OT books, so we can see how it fits Jesus.

06. This dialog will be helpful to us when we discuss about our prophet prophesized in OT and NT books.

07. I am not unnecessarily prolonging this discussion , this is step by step process which I mentioned in the beginning of my discussion.

PS:

Regarding your last point, if Jesus clearly said that this prophesy is about me, then we will accept it.

But jesus saying "Moses wrote about me" does not mention that you put "every prophesy which Moses made on Jesus.

We should not be of "closed mind" and be objective in our analysis. If Jesus did not fulfill one prophesy, we should look for an alternate person.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#183253 Jul 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Then Abu Ahmaq reported that Maslama went to Ashraf and said, "I have been allowed to tell you a lie and I am going to deceive you."
Ashraf said, "OK! Try."
Maslama said, "Look there!"
Ashraf said, "Where?'
Maslama said, "Turn around and look towards the horizon. I see a cloud of dust over the dunes"
Ashraf said, "Oh, OK!"
Abu Ahmaq watched him draw his sword and saw that with one blow Maslama chopped off Ashraf's head.
Note: Ahmaq means fool in Arabic. So, Abu Ahmaq means Father of the Fool.
Now, what is that to you, Jacapo?
Once again, Zatarra, God sees you out of the corner of His eye.

bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#183254 Jul 22, 2013
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text> Once again, Zatarra, God sees you out of the corner of His eye.
lol!

Enjoyed reading that, Jacapo and I am glad you have read the Count of Monte Cristo.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#183255 Jul 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
It is always a pleasure to talk to you, Susan. You asked a very good question.
We can see that Noah, Abraham, Ishamel (the first born), Issac (the second born), Esau, Jacob and Joseph did not observe any Sabbath.
Sabbath was prescribed to the Hebrews, whom Moses had brought out from Egypt. They were never given a day to rest and the LORD had mercy upon them and prescribed Sabbath.
The Arabs had never been slaves of the Pharaoh and they were not brought out of Egypt. That is why Sabbath was not prescribed for them in Islam. We do not have Sabbath.
The problem is that Christianity, which clings unaffectionately to the OT, broke the Law and gave up Sabbath and opted for a different day of rest ordered by pagans.
Jesus observed Sabbath, so Christians think he observed it for all of them till the Dooms day. I think he purchased sabbath with his 'blood' too.
Thanks for the answer bmz. But don't muslims also have one day off per week and isn't that day traditionally Friday? And if so, why Friday?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#183256 Jul 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Pinocchio,
Stop lying through your false dentures, please!
You wrote in the last para:“So the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.” As the Son of Man, the Messiah, Jesus has authority over the Mosaic Law. He can reaffirm it, reinterpret it, or even abolish it if he chooses to do so."
This is absurd and bull shit. Jesus had no authority and he did not come to make any changes in the Law.
Either you accept the junk stuff that you wrote or condemn what Jesus said in Matthew.
Matthew 5:17-18 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
"Do not suppose that I came to throw down the law or the prophets -- I did not come to throw down, but to fulfill; for, verily I say to you, till that the heaven and the earth may pass away, one iota or one tittle may not pass away from the law, till that all may come to pass."
Who is the Liar? You or Jesus?
The Sabbath observance is a statute forever instituted by the God of Israel. Nobody can change it. Exodus 31:16 "Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant". Jesus violated the Sabbath by engaging in activities that were unacceptable. I thought Jesus was supposed to fulfill the law? He also told me his favorite food was pork.
Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183257 Jul 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
For Shamma,
Here is how Jesus evolved into Christian God.
Topic: Evolution of Jesus
Born to a noble and a holy woman, whom no man knew.
Good baby
Good boy
Good young man
Good man.
Godly man.
(ly of Godly to vanish)
God man.
(changed to)
Man God.
God.
and to "god of god"!
Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183258 Jul 22, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you believe in a book that supposedly come from god, which tells that a group of people slept in a cave for 300 years? You realy must be dumb.
and how old was Noah?
Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183259 Jul 22, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you believe in a book that supposedly come from god, which tells that a group of people slept in a cave for 300 years? You realy must be dumb.
We haven 't heard from colonic as to why he agrees so much with sick seeker who worships a man without any proof whatsoever.
Seems colonic is an atheist of convenience.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#183260 Jul 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The Sabbath observance is a statute forever instituted by the God of Israel. Nobody can change it. Exodus 31:16 "Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant". Jesus violated the Sabbath by engaging in activities that were unacceptable. I thought Jesus was supposed to fulfill the law? He also told me his favorite food was pork.
Quran says that Sabbath day was for Jews and not a Universal practice... When our prophet came, he was given Friday as the day of assembly.

Where is the problem? We do not deny that Jews were given Sabbath day, let them enjoy it!!

Ask Christians why they selected Sunday? Did Jesus chose it for them?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#183261 Jul 22, 2013
Shamma, regarding Isaiah 7 you need to read the whole paragraph and not take anything out of context. Verses 10-16. The Hebrew word translated virgin is almah which simply means young woman. Jesus' name is also not Emanuel. Verse 16 says "For before the child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you abhor shall be forsaken of both her kings". This land is Israel and the USA and is yet to be completely fulfilled. J. L. Emanuels' mother is Lebanese and he was raised a Christian. This should come to pass in the very near future.
Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183262 Jul 22, 2013
Trisha wrote:
What a waste of human time and energy.
THERE IS NO ALLAH.
:p
What a waste of human time and energy.
There is no Trisha.
This chap is a bs merchant who posts as a female.
Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183263 Jul 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Mr. Seeker
I see that you are very much active in answering so many people on this thread, that you forgot to reply to my "little discussions".
What I wanted to ask you was that Isaiah Chapter 9 mentions so many qualities about the "Deliverer of Isreal"....many of which Jesus did not fulfill.
So is it right to take one "ambiguous word" like "A child is born, a son is given to us" (which could be applied to almost every human child)....and make "sure" that Isaiah was indeed speaking about Jesus?
What about rest of qualities that Jesus did not fulfill?
Please answer me, because this is very important point and we could use this as a "yardstick" in analyzing when we discuss about our prophet.
Please, I ask you sincerely to continue our discussion.
It is not every day, that we get some one as learned and expert on prophesies like you, let us make best use of your knowledge and expertise in this matter.
I myself is only a beginner in these matters.
Salaams, brother.
mr seeker does not answer anything accurately, honestly or completely.
He needs to properly answer my long outstanding questions although he finally managed to confess that Mark, Matt and Luke contain nothing direct from Jesus claiming divinity in any shape or form.
Hope he stops avoiding you.
He is struggling to even understand your very good questions, let alone tackle them.
We shall be able to extract a confession from mr. seeker, to that effect, fairly soon. I am also tightening his noose.
Salaams.
Alex, WM
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#183264 Jul 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Quran says that Sabbath day was for Jews and not a Universal practice... When our prophet came, he was given Friday as the day of assembly.
Where is the problem? We do not deny that Jews were given Sabbath day, let them enjoy it!!
Ask Christians why they selected Sunday? Did Jesus chose it for them?
I think Christians observe Sunday because it was the day Jesus allegedly rose from the dead. Most Christians don't even know they don't keep the Sabbath.

bmz

Location hidden

#183265 Jul 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the answer bmz. But don't muslims also have one day off per week and isn't that day traditionally Friday? And if so, why Friday?
You are welcome, Susan.

You have asked another good question.

Scripturally speaking, we have not been given a day to rest.

This is what the verse tells for Friday. A simple contemporary translation from yours truly:

"Believers, when you are called for the prayers on Friday, leave your trade/work and go quickly for praying to Allah. Realize that this will be better for you. When the prayers are over, spread out and seek the bounty of Allah and praise Allah so that you can prosper."

In other words, when it is time for prayers on Friday, stop work, go and pray. After prayers are over, go back to work.

So, you can see we have no day off. Muslims in the M. E. take off for two days (Friday and Saturday).

Most Muslim countries have Sunday as a holiday but this has nothing to do with Christianity.

Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183266 Jul 22, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I already gave a very long answer using John long ago where I even referenced the verses for each question, and I'm not going through the effort again and you are lucky that I even did it the first time. You can go back and find it if you would like. I'm not putting anymore effort into it only to please a childish, ignorant little troll. It's that simple, little boy tyrant. I was fair enough to actually answer, now YOU do the work. You should feel lucky when anybody answers anything for you since you answer absolutely nothing yourself. Again, if you think you are going to dictate the conversation, you are sadly mistaken and completely out of your mind.
My poor slave who doesn't know his Evyonim from his gout!
We are NOT interested in your "tafsir" on john!!! LOL........LOL...
Not a single sensible person here is interested in your deluded "john tafsirs".
So, be a good slave boy and answer properly with facts.
Do you not even wonder for one tiny second using that tiny brain of yours as to why you think Jesus is "god" when he NEVER made a single DIRECT claim to that effect?

Now let's go on to John by many johnnies!
USE THE SAME TEMPLATE as before, my slave.

Show us where Jesus is making DIRECT claims in the first person as follows, in John:
1. "I am God in 'the' flesh"
2. "I am God!"
3. "I am THE only begotten son of God"
4. "I am God in person"
5. "I am God Incarnate"
6. "I am THE Father and Father and I are one and the same person" 7. "I am made of sin"
8. "God is a trinity and I am part of that trinity or triune"
9. "I am your God who came to earth in human form as my own son to die on a Roman cross for the sins of Gentiles or the world or the entire humanity/"
10. "Through belief in my unconditional/loving/willing sacrifice as your God in human form as my own son, you can have eternal life"
11. "Therefore, Worship me and the cross"
12. "Father, ghost and I are co equal, co eternal and consubstantial gods forming a godhead"
13.“I, Jesus, existed before God as Word and I, Jesus, became God” 14.“Hey Philip! I am THE Father"
15. "Worship and kiss the cross and get your pope to kiss it, carry it with him and raise it like Moses' serpent"
16.“My mission is not to bring a book, but to die for sins of GENTILES and JEWS”
17. "I am your saviour (dear gentiles)

NO NEED FOR "Johnny TAFSIRS". JUST "YES" OR "NO" FOR EACH QUESTION, WITH PROOF - perhaps Chapter/Verse.

Good slave boy.
Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183267 Jul 22, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I think Christians observe Sunday because it was the day Jesus allegedly rose from the dead. Most Christians don't even know they don't keep the Sabbath.
You are correct Suasan.
They use the OT to confuse themselves and others.
The main purpose of the OT for their establishment is very simple:
To produce some spurious proof about their "mangod".

Most Christians don't know the difference between Sabbath and a Bird-bath.

bmz

Location hidden

#183268 Jul 22, 2013
Alex123 WM wrote:
<quoted text>
and how old was Noah?
950 years. And he spent about 360 years sleeping in bed. This included a 2 hour Siesta every day.

Bro, actually it does not mean that Noah lived to a rotten old age of 950 years. It means his people followed his teachings for a period of 950 years and later went back to idolatry.

By the same token, we can say Jesus was hardly 75 years old. How can we say that?

Because people did not follow his way, quarreled for 3-4 centuries and went for idolatry of the triune God.
Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183269 Jul 22, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, it's time for you to first explain why we even need to discuss whether Jesus was prophecized or not and what this has to do with Muhammad being prophecized. I'm not going off into a tangent unless you first explain. BTW, I will soon be spending very little time here, as I have a very important interview this Wednesday, so I would suggest that you step it up a little bit.
Slippery slave
The noose is getting to him.
Rabbeen Al Jihad

Salt Lake City, UT

#183270 Jul 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
You are really unteachable!
As an Italian, you talk with your hands and actually I can have a conversation with you without speaking a word. However, it is imperative that we educate you.
The problem is that you do not understand the topic and what is being discussed.
To me, Greek is a language that is poor, unrefined, crude and unfit for a scripture.
For example, if I am talking to you in real life in my language, I would use "We" frequently when talking to you, provided you know my language, while you will be doing "I", "I" "I". I is not an important word in the Oriental languages.
Persian is a very sweet language, Greek is not.
SalaamZ & Yassoo! LOL! The greeks could have had a beautiful language had the spent more time at it! Instead they were too busy inventing greek myth and playing at being Malaka,s(mstrbatrz).How do you seperate the men from the boys in greece???...with a tire-iron!LOL! CheerZ
Alex123 WM

London, UK

#183271 Jul 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
950 years. And he spent about 360 years sleeping in bed. This included a 2 hour Siesta every day.
Bro, actually it does not mean that Noah lived to a rotten old age of 950 years. It means his people followed his teachings for a period of 950 years and later went back to idolatry.
By the same token, we can say Jesus was hardly 75 years old. How can we say that?
Because people did not follow his way, quarreled for 3-4 centuries and went for idolatry of the triune God.
lol... Let sleeping Noah be!
Also very true about Jesus, bro.
I was remining colonic that 950+ years is no better than 300 years that closet Christian is going on and on about.
Does he know anything?
Perhaps he may understand cryopreservation and/or hibernation...lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Everyone will be Muslim because of our stupidi... Jan 14 Einstein Nukes 16
News Harrogate mother says foster families are relig... (Nov '15) Dec 29 Sugar plum 50
News Who the Crusaders Are in 2016 Dec 28 Playa 7
confusion 3 Dec 26 taylor810 1
confusion Dec 26 taylor810 2
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 26 Eagle 12 4,912
News What's wrong with wishing others a Merry Christ... (Dec '08) Dec 26 Jesus Is 52
More from around the web