Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256422 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Seeker

Lowell, MA

#180150 Jun 17, 2013
Rabbeen Al Jihad wrote:
<quoted text>SalaamZ & salutations Most pious and venerable scholar BMZ! If we were to look back thru the annals of history searching out communities that kept oral histories and other assundry informations it would be quite the surprise for many.Its as if the sages and other important leaders of these communities had been forewarned of the disasters that follow the written word.In some cases Such as native american histories as well as the holy-Qur'An,the oral traditions actually saved the content from corrupted individuals who would have distorted these wonderful traditions for no other reason than their own evil intent. Your thoughts most knowledgable one? CheerZ
Curly asks Mo for his thoughts.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#180151 Jun 17, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
There are certain things that God cannot do. For example God will not become a man or a donkey or a monkey or a serpent or a lizard.
The point is that for the first 400 years after Jesus had turned to dust and bones, nobody believed that he was the Son of God or God. His followers considered him only a messiah. That is all.
Andrew, the smart ass introduced Jesus to his brother Peter, saying, "We have found the messiah".
He did not say, "We have found the Messiah, the Son of God".
You don't know anything about God.
The fact is Jesus proved He is the Son of God to the Apostles and that is all that matters.
Rabbeen Al Jihad

Salt Lake City, UT

#180152 Jun 17, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Curly asks Mo for his thoughts.
And the little hairless monkey just cannot control itself!LOL!
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#180153 Jun 17, 2013
Rabbeen Al Jihad wrote:
<quoted text>SalaamZ & salutations Most pious and venerable scholar BMZ! If we were to look back thru the annals of history searching out communities that kept oral histories and other assundry informations it would be quite the surprise for many.

Its as if the sages and other important leaders of these communities had been forewarned of the disasters that follow the written word.

In some cases Such as native american histories as well as the holy-Qur'An,the oral traditions actually saved the content from corrupted individuals who would have distorted these wonderful traditions for no other reason than their own evil intent. Your thoughts most knowledgable one? CheerZ
Junior,

I fully agree with your thoughts and assessment. You have said it soooo well and have almost covered up the important points.

My humble thoughts:

In the case of the Hebrews, their sages kept the Oral Torah safe in their hearts and minds. So, there were no adulterated sayings and teachings. If Ptolemy did not have the Torah texts translated into the book, which was given the name Septuagint, the Church would have had nothing to twist, distort and forge.

As for Qur'aan, it was kept oral for a long time and copies were hardly a few, which were not available to infidels. And the good news is that 70 Arabs were not employed by a rich non-Muslim man to translate it for his personal library.

In case of Jesus' teachings, the tragedy was that his followers were not learned and wise. They also did not sit in the company of the learned and wise. Jesus had left no book or texts and neither did his disciples engage anyone to write down what he said. Nothing was preserved.

So, it all came down to reports based upon hearsay and this led to clash between self-appointed Mullahs of his Way. The debates raged on for 300 years and finally Constantine fixed it up. others took another 200 plus years to fine-tune it.

Salaams
BMZ

If the early followers had the Oral Injeel with them, it would have been a different story. Pagans would ahve become Jews.
bmz

Location hidden

#180154 Jun 17, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well this comes from the book of John where Jesus himself says he is the Son of God. Why do you demand that everyone say things in the exact way that YOU think they should say it? I could take anything in the Quran that is an idea not directly said, but that we could figure out it's meaning, and demand that the Quran says the exact, direct words that I think it should say. But that would be stupid. But this is what you often do with the Gospels. you are completely irrational. You apply one standard to the Gospels, and then completely change you standards when talking about the Quran.
Now maybe a verse like this exists in the Quran, but I don't recall it existing. But show me where the Quran literally says "this entire Quran is my word for word dictation". Now that sounds like a silly request because we can piece together via various other or indirect statements that it DOES claim to be the word for word dictation of Allah. But the request is no more silly than what you are asking for from the Gospels.
Yes, I quoted from John, who reports that it was Peter's brother who had told him that they had found the Messiah.

It clearly shows that the Jews were waiting only FOR the Messiah and nothing else. Nobody was ever promised that the Messiah had to be God himself or had to be a son of God.

Extra-ordinary claims require extra-ordinary proofs, Seeker.

To claim that Jesus claimed this or that, cannot be taken as a proof. There is not even an ordinary proof available.

God or the alleged Son of God does not need to talk in riddles. Even if God came in the from of a man, God has no choice but to say, "I am God!" and the onus falls on that man or God to prove that he is or was God in man's clothes.

How can we rely on the gospels? Three gospels give zero divinity to Jesus and only the fourth is exploited to show that Jesus is the Son of God, God, God of God, etc.

As for Qur'aan, God clearly says in Qur'aan: "We have revealed the Qur'aan and We shall guard it!"

The point is that if Jesus were God, he had to declare that. That he did not do.
And it remains the same today and will remain the same till the Dooms Day.

Location hidden

#180155 Jun 17, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Junior,
I fully agree with your thoughts and assessment. You have said it soooo well and have almost covered up the important points.
My humble thoughts:
In the case of the Hebrews, their sages kept the Oral Torah safe in their hearts and minds. So, there were no adulterated sayings and teachings. If Ptolemy did not have the Torah texts translated into the book, which was given the name Septuagint, the Church would have had nothing to twist, distort and forge.
As for Qur'aan, it was kept oral for a long time and copies were hardly a few, which were not available to infidels. And the good news is that 70 Arabs were not employed by a rich non-Muslim man to translate it for his personal library.
In case of Jesus' teachings, the tragedy was that his followers were not learned and wise. They also did not sit in the company of the learned and wise. Jesus had left no book or texts and neither did his disciples engage anyone to write down what he said. Nothing was preserved.
So, it all came down to reports based upon hearsay and this led to clash between self-appointed Mullahs of his Way. The debates raged on for 300 years and finally Constantine fixed it up. others took another 200 plus years to fine-tune it.
Salaams
BMZ
If the early followers had the Oral Injeel with them, it would have been a different story. Pagans would ahve become Jews.
Except that God through His Holy Spirit preserved in the mind of the disciples all that Jesus taught them.
We know that Jesus is the Son of God because God himself said so.
bmz

Location hidden

#180156 Jun 17, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>You don't know anything about God.
The fact is Jesus proved He is the Son of God to the Apostles and that is all that matters.
I know.

Not a single apostle knew him as the Son of God. Nobody called him the Son of God except demons and a Centurion or two.

If Jesus had said openly that he was God or the Son of God, he would have lost his head immediately.
bmz

Location hidden

#180157 Jun 17, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? And if we say that he can't, then you have to throw out the Islamic idea that God is all powerful. Are you willing to do that? Ah, but see, you used a little trick in your response. First you said "cannot", and then when you gave examples you said "will not", but those two statements mean two entirely different things. So there's the little shell game you are playing.
And even aside from that, who are you to say what God will or won't do or should or shouldn't do, for that matter? By doing so or making these assumptions, you are putting yourself on the same level as God or you are assuming that God is on the same level as you and thinks just like you do. Why would you do that?

Your abilities of logic and reasoning appear to be crippled, and i can't understand why.
God is all powerful, etc.

My point is that God, the Most High cannot become the Most Low.

Christianity brings God the Most High down to the Most Low, that is to the level of a lowly man, just to justify that Jesus, a man, was God. And this was done based on hearsay and conclusion by men, who neither sat in the company of Jesus, his disciples nor in the company of their grand children.

And we are presented with verses to show divinity, while John 17:3 and many other verses deny, reject and refute his divinity. What would you call that?
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#180158 Jun 17, 2013
Origin of energy that can neither be created nor destroyed? It is energy iitself. LOL.
bmz

Location hidden

#180159 Jun 17, 2013
Shamma wrote:
We know that Jesus is the Son of God because God himself said so.
You know nothing!

Location hidden

#180160 Jun 17, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
I know.
Not a single apostle knew him as the Son of God. Nobody called him the Son of God except demons and a Centurion or two.
If Jesus had said openly that he was God or the Son of God, he would have lost his head immediately.
You are like Muhammad.
You are delusional.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#180161 Jun 17, 2013
BMZ,

My Hindi is quite poor since English is my first language.

Yet, I think Son of Man in Hindi would translate as Maanav Putra - here maanav = humankind. If I say manush (man) ka putra, it would sound absurd since I think Son of Man refers to humanity at large where the word man is concerned.
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#180162 Jun 17, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Son of Man, that the Trinity is the creator, IS Unholy Shit.
How could it create any damn thing, when it was itself created by men?
rabbee: how does constantly repeating an error, ever correct it? the only thing you do by repeating someone else's error, is to confirm it as correct.

the term son of man, is a really ultra-bad translation, for Benee Adam. the do not even have, the same meaning. there is an extremely big difference, between benee eesh, and Benee Adam.

no amount of false translation or transliteration, shall ever make anyone correct. when it makes everyone, who uses it wrong.
bmz

Location hidden

#180163 Jun 17, 2013
JOEL wrote:
BMZ,
My Hindi is quite poor since English is my first language.
Yet, I think Son of Man in Hindi would translate as Maanav Putra - here maanav = humankind. If I say manush (man) ka putra, it would sound absurd since I think Son of Man refers to humanity at large where the word man is concerned.
Thanks, Joel

I will ask some other friends and will let you know too.
bmz

Location hidden

#180164 Jun 17, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: how does constantly repeating an error, ever correct it? the only thing you do by repeating someone else's error, is to confirm it as correct.

the term son of man, is a really ultra-bad translation, for Benee Adam. the do not even have, the same meaning. there is an extremely big difference, between benee eesh, and Benee Adam.
no amount of false translation or transliteration, shall ever make anyone correct. when it makes everyone, who uses it wrong.
Thank you, Rabbee

You did it, when you wrote Bani Adam. Excellent!

Those two words translate exactly into Son of Adam, simply Son of Man and reduced to Man.

I am sure there is no Son of man in your theTorah acting as God.
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#180165 Jun 17, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
That is correct, uhuh. The sages kept the actual Torah oral. Quite smart, I would say.
The Church could lay hands only on the poor Greek translation Septuagint. That is why the Church could not butcher the Oral Torah.
rabbee: The-Oral Torah is nothing more, than the reading TheTorah with the phonetic vowels included. since TheTorah itself, is written without vowels.

it is really not that difficult, since in eevreet there is one vowel for every consonant. which makes the pronunciation of, YHVH not all that difficult. with only six phonetic vowel sounds, a - aa - e - ee - o - oo. in which even a highly or not so highly intelligent, total idiot should be able to figure that out.

transliteration into another language, could pose a problem. but translation, should not of been as much of a problem in either, aramaeech, egyption, greek or latin.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#180166 Jun 17, 2013
At the end of a cosmic cycle, the energy enters a finer and a still finer state until it forms a qm singularity. After some time, the equilibrium is lost as the various aspects of subtle energy begin interacting with each other and so the state of singularity enters a state of manifestation and the projected energy gets grosser and grosser with the entire range of its innate frequencies of vibrations gradually getting expressed in concentrates called material particles which then go on to form the macro universe with its varied names and forms under the influence of the inherent em, gravitational and nuclear forces. This movement from subtle to gross and vice-versa goes on with each cosmic manifestation and its subsequent retreat.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#180167 Jun 17, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Uthman, the 4th caliphate threw out varying copies of the Quran and had them burned and he himself decided which version was correct.
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#180168 Jun 17, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
There are certain things that God cannot do. For example God will not become a man or a donkey or a monkey or a serpent or a lizard.
The point is that for the first 400 years after Jesus had turned to dust and bones, nobody believed that he was the Son of God or God. His followers considered him only a messiah. That is all.
Andrew, the smart ass introduced Jesus to his brother Peter, saying, "We have found the messiah".
He did not say, "We have found the Messiah, the Son of God".
rabbee: wrong!!!. there are things G-D, will or shall not do. so don't tell me that G-D, cannot do these things.

and i am sure that the educated, and not educated, alleged as jews. understood what the term Benee Adam meant, better than any of you clowns today.

and there were about a million alleged as jewish believers, before the destruction of the alleged second temple.

the term Benee Adam is a totally unique term, in reference to the only One, as both persons in TheTorah. given with, THE OUR IMAGE, And OUR LIKENESS. that you all only say, G-D never did.

even though it,is all just happening again. which you all also only say, G-D can't do. is this all you can say, is tell me that G-D can't do this story again? giving all of you and your grandmother, the chance to get right, with what you refuse to get right with G-D.

this world can pretend all you want, that you have the power to stop G-D from giving this story only in your own deluded minds. but the world has never, prevented G-D from actually giving it again and again.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#180169 Jun 17, 2013
JOEL wrote:
At the end of a cosmic cycle, the energy enters a finer and a still finer state until it forms a qm singularity. After some time, the equilibrium is lost as the various aspects of subtle energy begin interacting with each other and so the state of singularity enters a state of manifestation and the projected energy gets grosser and grosser with the entire range of its innate frequencies of vibrations gradually getting expressed in concentrates called material particles which then go on to form the macro universe with its varied names and forms under the influence of the inherent em, gravitational and nuclear forces. This movement from subtle to gross and vice-versa goes on with each cosmic manifestation and its subsequent retreat.
Would you mind telling us who told you this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) Jun 13 Eagle 12 - 861
News Paganism no better than Atheism (May '10) Jun 9 The Ragin Pagan 31
Andrekia the Wiccan witch. Jun 6 doG mnaDed lyoH r... 1
News Bloomfield woman behind Ten Commandments monume... (Aug '14) May '18 Largosmokey 9
can spells be done in the daytime? (Sep '06) May '18 Grami 9
An Occult site i just published, would love fee... (Jun '06) May '18 Grami 6
News Transgender inmate sues prison over witchcraft ... Apr '18 TerriB1 1