Who Is Allah?

There are 220277 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#175395 May 8, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>I am already crucified with Jesus, and are resurrected with Him.
“I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me ...”(Galatians 2:20 NET).
“When Christ bids us come and follow, He bids us come and die,” said Bonhoeffer.
The victory in the Christian’s life comes as we die to selfishness and follow Him.
The apostle Paul wrote,“To me, to live is Christ and to die is gain”(Phil. 1:20). Again he wrote,“The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me”(Gal. 2:20).
spam

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#175396 May 8, 2013
God is Love: How does God Define Love?
The Bible tells us that "God is Love" (1 John 4:8). But how can we even begin to understand that truth? There are many passages in the Bible that give us God's definition of love. The most well known verse is John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." So one way God defines love is in the act of giving. However, what God gave (or should we say, "who" God gave) was not a mere gift-wrapped present; God sacrificed His only Son so that we, who put our faith in His Son, will not spend eternity separated from Him. This is an amazing love, because we are the ones who choose to reject God, yet it's God who mends the separation through His intense personal sacrifice, and all we have to do is accept His gift.

Another great verse about God's love is found in Romans 5:8, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." In this verse and in John 3:16, we find no conditions placed on God's love for us. God doesn't say, "as soon as you clean up your act, I'll love you; " nor does He say, "I'll sacrifice my Son if you promise to love Me." In fact, in Romans 5:8, we find just the opposite. God wants us to know that His love is unconditional, so He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us while we were still unlovable sinners. We didn't have to get clean, and we didn't have to make any promises to God before we could experience His love. His love for us has always existed, and because of that, He did all the giving and sacrificing long before we were even aware that we needed His love.

God is Love: It's Unconditional
God is Love, and His love is very different from human love. God's love is unconditional, and it's not based on feelings or emotions. He doesn't love us because we're lovable or because we make Him feel good; He loves us because He is love. He created us to have a loving relationship with Him, and He sacrificed His own Son (who also willingly died for us) to restore that relationship.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#175397 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
We worship the LORD God of Abraham and Jacob. Are we worshipping a heathen deity?
If you can accept the English word God, why can't you accept the Arabic word Allah?
The word Allah is very close to Ellah (El in Hebrew) and I am sure you know that El is not pronounced as the 'el' in 'Hell' or 'Bell' or 'Tell'.
Apparently, bmz, we all worship the same God. I have come across many different claims though, from both Christians and Muslims. The problem lies in what has God said? We all believe something different. The word was written thousands of years before the fact. God is defined as "all knowing" and the word of God will be confirmed when it is fulfilled.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#175398 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer= 21
$15 gives 15 sweets
15 sweets give 15 wrappers / 3= 5 sweets
5 sweets give 5 wrappers/3= 1 sweet
rabbee: 15 - the hand outs, are not purchases with legal currency. and the last time i checked, candy wrappers are not considered as legal tender dollars.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#175399 May 8, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>So crucify me is that what you are saying because I showed how God is love?

So now you want to crucify me.
God is not love, Drama Queen. God is loving.

To say God is love is idiotic as it may mean that Love is God, which is sooooo absurd.

And what love did your God show to Jesus, Love-Sick?

Now, let us have your garments but keep the loin cloth and get up the pole!

Location hidden

#175400 May 8, 2013
Shamma wrote:
God is Love, and His love is very different from human love.
Great, so lets all be honest and just rename it, so as not to get confused with the love we all know about and refer to.

Lets call Gods love GLOOP.
bmz

Singapore

#175401 May 8, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently, bmz, we all worship the same God. I have come across many different claims though, from both Christians and Muslims. The problem lies in what has God said? We all believe something different. The word was written thousands of years before the fact. God is defined as "all knowing" and the word of God will be confirmed when it is fulfilled.
You did not answer my questions, Susan. Here is my post, once again:

We worship the LORD God of Abraham and Jacob. Are we worshipping a heathen deity?

If you can accept the English word God, why can't you accept the Arabic word Allah?

The word Allah is very close to Ellah (El in Hebrew) and I am sure you know that El is not pronounced as the 'el' in 'Hell' or 'Bell' or 'Tell'.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#175402 May 8, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's why you bought it hook line and sinker. All someone has to do is to tell Muslims what they want to hear, and they'll buy it right away. Just like the story of Neil Armstrong hearing the call to prayer on the moon. They are so desperate for Islam to be the truth. And by the way, the Trinity is not three Gods. It is three aspects or manifestations of one God.
Anyway you cut it, Christians do believe in three gods. They are three separate entities and three separate people. It doesn't matter if they believe they all comprise God. When God said "The Lord is one", it meant one person, not three.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#175403 May 8, 2013
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well it seems to be, well above your level of comprehenshion. and i do not think, i can write lower than the fifth grade level. in order to meet, this worlds standards. i can't find, my green crayons. and monkies and apes, do not progress pass that of a three year old. do you know how, to converse with a talking ameoba or other talking critters? a minus sign, in front of a high iq is not a complement.
It's not an ameoba, the correct spelling is amoeba. How do you converse with that protozoa?

Location hidden

#175404 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
God is not love, Drama Queen. God is loving.
To say God is love is idiotic as it may mean that Love is God, which is sooooo absurd.
And what love did your God show to Jesus, Love-Sick?
Now, let us have your garments but keep the loin cloth and get up the pole!
If God is Love, and Jesus is God, and Love is love, does that mean we now have a quadrinity?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#175405 May 8, 2013
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: 15 - the hand outs, are not purchases with legal currency. and the last time i checked, candy wrappers are not considered as legal tender dollars.
CORRECT.

Since his question contain the word buy the correct answer is 15. If Joel would replace the verb buy with the verb take, then the correct answer would be 22.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#175406 May 8, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!! Good one.
But then again, what is the definition for love? Nobody really knows. There are all sorts of definitions for it, and they seem to be whatever someone wants or needs it to be at any given time. What people think is love and sing all sorts of songs about, is actually possession of someone else. MY girlfriend, MY boyfriend, MY lover. People just fool themselves.
rabbee: truth = love... as lies = hate... truth = good... lies = evil. none of the true prophets of G-D, would lie to even save their life.

it would appear as if Moshe, or Daneeel could of been squashed like a bug, for telling the truth. because they, refused to lie.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#175407 May 8, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>
The definition for God Joe is "LOVE"
God is Love.
God does not love everybody. She loves the righteous who love her.
bmz

Singapore

#175408 May 8, 2013
Seeker wrote:
Philip said,“Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered:“Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say,‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.
So, this crafty incoherence is to confirm that Jesus was the Father. Is that so?

And after that, did all the disciples start calling him the Father in heaven?

Anyway, I am glad that he did not say, "Philip, I am the Father!"
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#175409 May 8, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect answer.
The last time you attempted this question that I'd posted months ago, you came up with 20 sweets as the answer. This, too, is wrong. I'd provided the detailed solution then.
So, once again, here goes.
The correct answer is worked out as follows:
QUESTION:
A dealer said he’d gift 1 sweet in exchange for 3 empty sweet wrappers provided the sweets were purchased from his shop. One sweet costs $ 1. If you have $ 15 with you, how many sweets can you get, in all?
SOLUTION:
Total amount available =$ 15
Cost price of 1 sweet =$ 1
Condition: 1 sweet in exchange for 3 empty sweet wrappers.
Now, with $ 15, you can outright buy 15 sweets @$ 1 per sweet.
With the 15 empty sweet wrappers, you can get in return 15/3 = 5 sweets.
Total sweets: 15 + 5 = 20 sweets.
Then, you proceed to eat the 5 extra sweets and get 5 empty sweet wrappers.
From these 5 empty sweet wrappers, you retain 2 empty sweet wrappers and hand over 3 empty sweet wrappers to the dealer and get 1 sweet in return.
Note, you now have 2 empty wrappers (5 – 3 = 2) plus 1 sweet given to you on returning 3 empty sweet wrappers.
Total sweets till now = 20 + 1 = 21
So, next, you proceed to eat the sweet and add its empty wrapper to the other 2 empty sweet wrappers that you'd previously retained to get a total of 3 empty sweet wrappers which you then hand over to the dealer for an extra sweet.
The dealer gives you an additional (1 sweet) in exchange for the 3 empty sweet wrappers.
Final total of sweets = 20 + 1 + 1 = 22.
Correct answer = 22 sweets.
rabbee: no! the question was, how many could you buy for $15, not how many could you get. i know this one, it was on one of my iq tests. same test that asked, how far can a dog run into the woods?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#175410 May 8, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me where it said the whole world. I remember it being for the "chosen people" only. OY!! I must be mashugana. I drank too much orange jews this morning and had too many he brews last night.
"My house shall be called a house of prayer for all people" This includes all people, Jews and Gentiles. God gave us all life, equally. God created Israel for her glory, not because of their perceived righteousness. When it comes down to it, the Jews are no different than anybody else.
bmz

Singapore

#175411 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If God is Love, and Jesus is God, and Love is love, does that mean we now have a quadrinity?
It does but it is more than a quadrinity. One must take into account the fifth element, Mary.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#175412 May 8, 2013
Seeker wrote:
then there's the prophecy of the Messiah riding through the east gate on a donkey. That's what Jesus did. now, Jews can say that he merely did that to make it look like he was fulfilling the prophecy, but at least people did ride on donkeys back then. If this prophecy gets filled in the future like Jews are waiting for, wouldn't it look even more suspicious if someone rides on a donkey when people don't really ride donkeys anymore? So how is it going to look less suspicious if someone does this the 21st century than it did when someone did this in the 1st century?
When the Messiah enters Jerusalem on a donkey, she will be accepted as King of Israel, that's the difference. Jesus was not made king. The Messiah cannot come until the Temple is rebuilt, that is Gods' dwelling place. His "work shall go before him" and the Jews will be expecting him.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#175413 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: how many times, have the jews* been worshiping g-d. only to discover later, it was really baal hamolech and not G-D being worshiped? in this world that, only thinks they are doing better than the jews*.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#175414 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believed in the God of Jacob, you would accept the Hebrew scriptures, which you don't. Allah is just another name for God, God has a lot of names. The God of Israel will live on earth in the Temple when it is rebuilt. Allah is an Arabic word and most of the scriptures were written in Hebrew.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News the Beheading Sura: Robert Spencer's Blogging t... May 23 Dragnet52 5
Covertly clearing negative energy from the office (Sep '07) May 21 Debra 49
News No, American Christianity is not dead May 19 New Perspective 1
News POLL: Americans Turning Away from Religion May 15 Bible boy 1
News Carl Sagan as prophet of neo-Pagan Atheism May 12 geezerjock 1
Who exactly was Gjoub, and should I trust him? (Mar '09) May 11 garnetten 502
Shadow Energy / Shadow Magic (Feb '08) May 8 Over and Done 27
More from around the web