Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256607 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

JOWL

Hurricane, WV

#173225 Apr 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Another Christian perspective
http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/223/
Page not found.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#173226 Apr 24, 2013
look wrote:
People are taking things out of context when they try to say that Jesus was not crucified, according to the Qur'an.
The Qur'an does make it clear that the People of the Scripture claim they killed Jesus son of Mary, even though they did not.
Have you not seen a christian act as if they are guilty of
such a crime and then claim that they are really the ones who "put Jesus on that cross"?
Have you not heard people claim that the Jews are the ones responsible?
The Bible clearly details that the Roman government carried out the crucifixion, not the Jews or Christians.
The Roman government is not
considered as part of the People of the Scripture.
rabbee: well when i read, in TheTorah Scroll. i only see where G-D, did it. where G-D has Adam of virgin surrogate birth, put to death on the tree of life for adam and his mate to return. reguardless of whether you all lie, about his name as jesus christ.

as if this whole world, lying to all of you is some kind of new revelation. as if seven billion, not here in TheTorah liars are not enough.
Harry Potter

Hurricane, WV

#173227 Apr 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
Irony of Ironies
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/us/boston-m...
"Elmirza Khozhugov, 26, the ex-husband of Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s younger sister, Ailina, said that Tamerlan Tsarnaev had been enamored of conspiracy theories, and that he was also concerned by the wars in the Middle East.
“He was looking for connections between the wars in the Middle East and oppression of Muslim population around the globe,” Mr. Khozhugov said in an e-mail.“It was very hard to argue with him on themes somehow connected to religion. On the other hand, he did not hate Christians. He respected their faith. Never said anything bad about other religions. But he was angry that the world pictures Islam as a violent religion.”
----------
"But he was angry that the world pictures Islam as a violent religion.”
So LETS blow up a bunch of innocents as a result!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_of_Peac...

The description of Islam as a "religion of peace" has created a great deal of controversy. Neuroscientist and New Atheism writer Sam Harris wrote, "The position of the Muslim community in the face of all provocations seems to be: Islam is a religion of peace, and if you say that it isn't, we will kill you."

Sherman Jackson believes that the comments of Western politicians about Islam being a "religion of peace" is an attempt at "political correctness." However, Jackson asserts that:

“'Religion of peace' does not imply that Islam is a paci&#64257;st religion, that it rejects the use of violence altogether, as either a moral or a metaphysical evil.'Religion of peace' connotes, rather, that Islam can countenance a state of permanent, peaceful coexistence with other nations and peoples who are not Muslims...This position, I shall argue, is no more than the result of an objective application of principles of Islamic jurisprudence which no jurist or activist, medieval or modern, has claimed to reject.”

This use has also been criticised by both Islamists such as Sayyid Qutb, and former Islamists such as Hassan Butt, who said,

“Only when Muslims admit that 9/11 and 7/7 were the work of Muslim terrorists can we move forward to the next juncture: which is recognising the hard truth that Islam does permit the use of violence. Muslims who deny this, preferring instead to mouth easy platitudes about how Islam is nothing but a religion of peace, make the job easier for the radicals who can point to passages in the Koran, set down in black and white, that instruct on the killing of unbelievers.”

That is, he suggests that the religion can only be a religion of peace if followers explicitly denounce the terrorist actions.

The term "The Religion of Peace" is used sarcastically by critics of Islam, such as Ann Coulter. This is sometimes the case on anti-Islamic web sites and blogs, such as the web site TheReligionofPeace.com , which counts Islamic terrorist attacks.

Pope Benedict XVI refused to agree that Islam was a religion of peace. However he stated:

“It certainly contains elements that can favor peace, it also has other elements: We must always seek the best elements.”
Eric

La Grange Park, IL

#173228 Apr 24, 2013
Melchizedek wrote:
<quoted text>To hell with PC. How do YOU observe Shabbat.
This is one of those occasions that I love. I ask a question. I don't get an answer but I get a series of questions in response. It would be nice to have a real conversation every once in a while where my questions get answered also.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#173229 Apr 24, 2013
JOWL wrote:
<quoted text>Page not found.
www.khouse.org/articles/2000/223/
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#173230 Apr 24, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah is the mightiest and knows everything.
It is Satan, who is present everywhere. So, Satan is omniscient. Do you think Jesus is omniscient?
It is the Christian God that is one dimensional, which means it is superficial and has no depth.
In other words, it carries no weight.
rabbee: well did your g-d, who knows everything. fail to mention about us, here in this second comming of Adam? christians may have been seduced with a fake name for Adam. but at least they got, the twice coming right. because TheWe ,are actually definatly physically here again. just like it says, in Only TheTorah forever and always actually.

Location hidden

#173231 Apr 24, 2013
Harry Potter wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_of_Peac...

The term "The Religion of Peace" is used sarcastically by critics of Islam, such as Ann Coulter. This is sometimes the case on anti-Islamic web sites and blogs, such as the web site

TheReligionofPeace.com , which counts Islamic terrorist attacks.
Pope Benedict XVI refused to agree that Islam was a religion of peace. However he stated:
“It certainly contains elements that can favor peace, it also has other elements: We must always seek the best elements.”
My position would be that rather than leveling platitudes, one should instead cite scripture that support this.

Also, since the 911 terrorists cited Islam as a justification, it is not out of bounds for those in the west to bring this issue up, and to ask other muslims to address why they feel these terrorists incorrectly interpreted their religion.

There was an obvious silence on this issue in the immediate aftermath. Now, over 10 years later, after lots of muslim on muslim violence, this issue is finally being discussed.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#173232 Apr 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
rabbee: well it, doesn't matter. since none of you, are actually going by, what G-D said is always going to happen here in TheTorah. for this whole world, that rejects being here in it, because the devil said so. and to make believe, your all in some other not here in TheTorah Story.

because none of you, can figure out what Story. TheG-D of Only TheTorah, is still giving.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#173233 Apr 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
My position would be that rather than leveling platitudes, one should instead cite scripture that support this.
Also, since the 911 terrorists cited Islam as a justification, it is not out of bounds for those in the west to bring this issue up, and to ask other muslims to address why they feel these terrorists incorrectly interpreted their religion.
There was an obvious silence on this issue in the immediate aftermath. Now, over 10 years later, after lots of muslim on muslim violence, this issue is finally being discussed.
This article reveals Muslim don't need to be tied to any terrorist group to be motivated to commit terrorist attacks.
Their religion of Islam self motivates them to commit acts of terror.

AP)– The two brothers suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon appear to have been motivated by their religious faith but do not seem connected to any Muslim terrorist groups, US officials said today after interrogating the severely wounded Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Two US officials said preliminary evidence from an interrogation suggests Dzhokhar and brother Tamerlan were motivated by religion but were apparently not tied to any Islamic terrorist organizations. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the investigation.

Location hidden

#173234 Apr 24, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>This article reveals Muslim don't need to be tied to any terrorist group to be motivated to commit terrorist attacks.
AP)– The two brothers suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon appear to have been motivated by their religious faith but do not seem connected to any Muslim terrorist groups, US officials said today after interrogating the severely wounded Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Two US officials said preliminary evidence from an interrogation suggests Dzhokhar and brother Tamerlan were motivated by religion but were apparently not tied to any Islamic terrorist organizations. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the investigation.
In the same way as the Christian terrorists who I cited yesterday who claimed they were motivated by their religion of Christianity.

Of which you rightfully absolved yourself of any connection despite the fact you practice the same religion ostensibly.

Do you see the problem with using a belief system as the CAUSAL mechanism? Its a slippery concept, and errantly absolves one from the fundamental issue here - personal responsibility and rage.

Location hidden

#173235 Apr 24, 2013
Shamma,

Also,(if you feel you must stay on the macro level rather than the micro (psychological), there is an equally valid argument, given his statement, that the bombers motivation was political rather than religious.
truth

Perth, Australia

#173236 Apr 24, 2013
yep
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#173237 Apr 24, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
<quoted text>
MATTHEW 16:18
"And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."
By the way what has this got to do with what I wrote?

He himself went through the gates of Hades. I mean, he went to hell. I am sure Peter and others must have also gone into Hades.
truth

Perth, Australia

#173239 Apr 24, 2013
muslim religion is not any more pure religion
noooooooooooooooooo

proper teaching is deference
young generation is some everywhere..

what you can and what you can't..its not teaching make you scare..no

its behind 'conciseness'
understanding=savjest=concisen ess..

new innovation will confirm many things
what we can what can't
yes as understanding =conciseness
error or sin is with everything
include religion any religion and not religion..

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#173240 Apr 24, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
In the same way as the Christian terrorists who I cited yesterday who claimed they were motivated by their religion of Christianity.
Of which you rightfully absolved yourself of any connection despite the fact you practice the same religion ostensibly.
Do you see the problem with using a belief system as the CAUSAL mechanism? Its a slippery concept, and errantly absolves one from the fundamental issue here - personal responsibility and rage.
You still do not get it.
There is no creed in Christianity to fight non-Christians for the cause of God.

In the religion of Islam all Muslims are tied to the cause of Jihad for the cause of Allah.

You like all progressives ignore that fact.
As long as Muslims accept Muhammad as their prophet they are bound to that creed to fight non-Muslims for the cause of Allah.

Muslims that are not active in Jihad are trapped in their religion. And cannot go against the laws of their religion that requires all Muslims to be prepared for Jihad.

They are controlled by their immams.
The only way out is to leave Islam, but face the possibility of the penalty of Apostasy from other Muslim and family.

You can't seem to grasp the reality of the Muslim religion.
When Muslims have enough power, Israel and Jews are going to be killed, and Christians.

That is the reality of the Muslim religion.
You may have the protection from BMZ, but your fellows Jews don't.
That is the reality.
bmz

Location hidden

#173241 Apr 24, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
4 DIFFERENT TRANSLATIONS:
Waqawlihim inna qatalna almaseeha AAeesa ibna maryama rasoola Allahi wama qataloohu wama salaboohu walakin shubbiha lahum wa-inna allatheena ikhtalafoo feehi lafee shakkin minhu ma lahum bihi min AAilmin illa ittibaAAa alththanni wama qataloohu yaqeenan
YUSUFALI: That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, BUT SO IT WAS MADE TO APPEAR TO THEM, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-
PICKTHAL: And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, BUT IT APPEARED SO UNTO THEM; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain.
SHAKIR: And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the messenger of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, BUT IT APPEARED TO THEM SO (LIKE ISA)and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.
KHALIFA: And for claiming that they killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of GOD. In fact, they never killed him, they never crucified him - THEY WERE MADE TO THINK THAT THEY DID. All factions who are disputing in this matter are full of doubt concerning this issue. They possess no knowledge; they only conjecture. For certain, they never killed him.
Better stick to the translation, which I gave earlier. I repeat:
A better translation by T. B. Irving, an American who became Muslim:

"They neither killed nor crucified him, even though it seemed so to them. Those who disagree about it are in doubt concerning it; they have no [real] knowledge about it except by following conjecture. No one is certain they killed him!"

In other words, people thought they were killing him but that was not the case.

It was like a well-managed stage show.
ISLAMIC VIEW: Jesus was not killed. He escaped and spent the rest of his time by going into hiding. God saved him. Period

JI, if Jesus had really been killed and was brought back to life, he would have come out in the open. That he did not, clearly shows that the man was never dead.
truth

Perth, Australia

#173242 Apr 24, 2013
where you sitting in Singapore
please tell me on which line stay Singapore
vertical horizontal
look continents line
please tell me line of natural disaster
how which result
oh don't do that please
others can't understood
someone can..

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#173243 Apr 24, 2013
Methuslaeh wrote:
<quoted text>
Firstly, thank you for the question. I honestly didn't expect one.
Secondly, I'm not entirely sure what a "day of rest" entails. I mean, energy is expended when I get out of bed; it is WORK.
Thirdly, what does it mean that God "rested," and how in the hell are we supposed to emulate THAT?
Well the English translations in the Bible say god rested, and am surprised that Eric didn't correct you, and I guess is hebrew is low.

A god who takes a rest is clearly an anthropopatic god, and since he rested he is not that powerful.

The correct word is shavat which means abstained.

But if god ended up in 6 days, to create what he thought it was needed, obviously the word abstain make no sense, since he has nothing more to do. One can abstain only if he still has something to do which was not the case of YHVH.

Eric is correct the Torah tells you what you have and not to do in the 7th day of week, which is Sunday or Saturday, according to your religion.
bmz

Location hidden

#173244 Apr 24, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>This article reveals Muslim don't need to be tied to any terrorist group to be motivated to commit terrorist attacks.
Shamma,

What the two brothers did in their hate and anger was wrong. What is done, cannot be undone.

One met his death and the other will be meeting his.

I had suggested that the younger brother should receive death punishment by blowing him up. An IED or a bomb, should be attached to him and the IED or the bomb should be exploded publicly.

However, the public should be kept at a safe distance. Christians should be told to stay away.

This would be a good lesson for others, who want to harm innocent people.

You have not responded yet. What do you think?

Location hidden

#173245 Apr 24, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>You still do not get it.
There is no creed in Christianity to fight non-Christians for the cause of God.
In the religion of Islam all Muslims are tied to the cause of Jihad for the cause of Allah.
You like all progressives ignore that fact.
As long as Muslims accept Muhammad as their prophet they are bound to that creed to fight non-Muslims for the cause of Allah.
Muslims that are not active in Jihad are trapped in their religion. And cannot go against the laws of their religion that requires all Muslims to be prepared for Jihad.
They are controlled by their immams.
The only way out is to leave Islam, but face the possibility of the penalty of Apostasy from other Muslim and family.
You can't seem to grasp the reality of the Muslim religion.
When Muslims have enough power, Israel and Jews are going to be killed, and Christians.
That is the reality of the Muslim religion.
You may have the protection from BMZ, but your fellows Jews don't.
That is the reality.
Sorry, I dont accept your interpretations of Islam. Never did. You dont speak Arabic, you never was educated in a Moslem religious school. You lack credibility, especially with regard to nuance

You have the same problem in your digressions regarding Judaism.

So we are left with my original points - Why do you blame muslim terrorists for Islam while not blaming Christian terrorists for Christianity? Its the same stereotyping.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Speaking of religion: Pagans stir a fuss in Beebe (Jun '14) Feb 28 guest 119
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Feb 27 Not a modern Chri... 15
News Man wins OK to wear goat horns in driver's lice... Feb 26 stalk this 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb '17 Eagle 12 4,947
omens of dead animals (Aug '08) Feb '17 Nicole Orsak 117
ecoven on Facebook. secret group free classes a... (Apr '14) Feb '17 Kcreoke 2
News 'Everyone will be Muslim because of our stupidi... Jan '17 Rabbeen Al Jihad 20
More from around the web