Who Is Allah?

Aug 24, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Brussels Journal

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Comments (Page 7,542)

Showing posts 150,821 - 150,840 of198,714
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
aussiejohn

Madrid, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

No mate. Going it alone sounds too risky and stressful for me. WIth a young family, security suddenly looks a whole lot sexier than it used to.

Good luck to you Frijoles.
John Preacher

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Hey AussieJohn, whats your background faith wise? Mine is Born Again Christian used to be catholic but, got tied of bowing down to idols(sorry I mean saints- hee hee hee)

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

aussiejohn wrote:
No mate. Going it alone sounds too risky and stressful for me. WIth a young family, security suddenly looks a whole lot sexier than it used to.
Good luck to you Frijoles.
Yes, I miss those days. On the other hand, when I want to slack off I dont have to worry about looking busy.
aussiejohn

Madrid, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Umm, still recovering catholic. Kicked the habit and still clean after nearly 20 years. Maybe i should justify why i'm here. I guess given my history, i'm fascinated how intelligent, independant-minded people maintain a belief. Unfortunately, many people here just want to shout and attack. I have admiration for people who like yourself, who are curious of other's faith and don't get defensive when unbelievers like myself ask questions,(even if their smart-arse, i'm guilty of that.)

It is obviously easier to be a cynical non-believer, but like i said, i have enormous respect for people who rationally explain what and why they believe.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

John Preacher wrote:
Hey AussieJohn, whats your background faith wise? Mine is Born Again Christian used to be catholic but, got tied of bowing down to idols(sorry I mean saints- hee hee hee)
So when you knelt before a statues you thought it was a god? Did you think the statue could do something for you?
John Preacher

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Hey Aussie John,
Ask what you like, but I'll probably be off to bed soon. The catholic faith should have given you a basic understanding of God, I'm sorry to hear that now you have rejected God altogether now. Did you ever try a Born Again Church?
Don't forget to give my links (on previous page) a listen and read. Most if it is how bible prophecy is being fulfilled. The true test of God is found in his Word, the bible shows its the truth by the prophecies which have come to pass.
John Preacher

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

And no I did not think statues were gods, but I realize now that one of the 10 commandment is not to make any graven image of anything in heaven above and to bow down to it. That is an idol.
aussiejohn

Madrid, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

John Preacher wrote:
Hey Aussie John,
Ask what you like, but I'll probably be off to bed soon. The catholic faith should have given you a basic understanding of God, I'm sorry to hear that now you have rejected God altogether now. Did you ever try a Born Again Church?
Don't forget to give my links (on previous page) a listen and read. Most if it is how bible prophecy is being fulfilled. The true test of God is found in his Word, the bible shows its the truth by the prophecies which have come to pass.
Ta John. I haven't rejected God altogether. Just decided any god is unknowable and instead i put my faith into doing right by those about me. I also still respect the bible as it contains profound truths and wisdom, but any book that has stood the test of time would necessarily be so. Thus, the books of all great religions, the epic of Gilgamesh, even the work of Shakespeare all are choc full of wisdom. I just don't choose to take any one as a road map to living a good life. That is because all of these books are also flawed and fallible.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

John Preacher wrote:
And no I did not think statues were gods, but I realize now that one of the 10 commandment is not to make any graven image of anything in heaven above and to bow down to it. That is an idol.
How do you explain statues in Solomon' Temple, or the angels upon the Ark of the Covenant, and the Brazen Serpent God told Moses to make so that anyone that looked up it was healed? An idol is in the heart of the beholder. An image such as a statue or a picture are not idols unless you make them an idol. Only after the people began to look on the Brazen Serpent as an idol was it destroyed. It is what's in the heart that defiles man not anything external. Is it the food going into the stomach that defiles man or what comes out of the mouth?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you explain statues in Solomon' Temple, or the angels upon the Ark of the Covenant, and the Brazen Serpent God told Moses to make so that anyone that looked up it was healed? An idol is in the heart of the beholder. An image such as a statue or a picture are not idols unless you make them an idol. Only after the people began to look on the Brazen Serpent as an idol was it destroyed. It is what's in the heart that defiles man not anything external. Is it the food going into the stomach that defiles man or what comes out of the mouth?
Have you ever had really, really greasy hash browns?
John Preacher

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Basically you are saying there are many roads to God. And doing good works is good enough?
The laws of the universe are absolute, gravity makes things fall, large bodies attract each other. These are laws which God created, they are solid unwavering set in stone. They declare One truth, they don't decide one day that they will do something else, gravity doesn't take a day off. So just as the law of gravity which God created by his word is sure, so is truth sure, there are not many truths, just as gravity is absolute, so is God's truth is absolute. When God speaks, his words create truth, he called the universe which did not exist- into existing, simply by declaring his truth that "light existed" when infact it did not. So God's word is truth, there is only one version of it, Only one person said - I am the way the truth and the life - Jesus Christ Jesus Christ is called the Word of God, he is God's truth - his law, that which holds all the universe together and created it by his Word-Jesus Christ. He is the truth of God in the flesh. The universe would crumble if God's word was not absolute, for then laws would not be absolute either, which would create choas.
You just have to decide which truth you believe, but you can't create your own, for you have not seen beyond the curtain. But the one who came from heaven has declared to us what lies ahead and how to get there. You need to put your faith in one who knows what lies ahead, because you don't have a clue!
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

aussiejohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Ta John. I haven't rejected God altogether. Just decided any god is unknowable and instead i put my faith into doing right by those about me. I also still respect the bible as it contains profound truths and wisdom, but any book that has stood the test of time would necessarily be so. Thus, the books of all great religions, the epic of Gilgamesh, even the work of Shakespeare all are choc full of wisdom. I just don't choose to take any one as a road map to living a good life. That is because all of these books are also flawed and fallible.
Jesus came so that God can be knowable to those seeking Him. There are many traditions in the Catholic Church that will help guide you in knowing God. Check into the many spiritual paths found within the Catholic Church, such as Carmelite Spirituality, and one of these may appeal to your longing to know God.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever had really, really greasy hash browns?
Even "really, really greasy hash browns" will not defile man. You need to understand what Jesus was talking about.
aussiejohn

Madrid, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus came so that God can be knowable to those seeking Him. There are many traditions in the Catholic Church that will help guide you in knowing God. Check into the many spiritual paths found within the Catholic Church, such as Carmelite Spirituality, and one of these may appeal to your longing to know God.
Been there, done that. Until the RCC deals credibly with rampant abuse of minors, of which i've seen in my own community, not having anything to do with them. Can't understand how people can defend the indefensible. But, appreciate the the thought all the same Paul. No hard feelings.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

John Preacher wrote:
Basically you are saying there are many roads to God. And doing good works is good enough?
The laws of the universe are absolute, gravity makes things fall, large bodies attract each other. These are laws which God created, they are solid unwavering set in stone. They declare One truth, they don't decide one day that they will do something else, gravity doesn't take a day off. So just as the law of gravity which God created by his word is sure, so is truth sure, there are not many truths, just as gravity is absolute, so is God's truth is absolute. When God speaks, his words create truth, he called the universe which did not exist- into existing, simply by declaring his truth that "light existed" when infact it did not. So God's word is truth, there is only one version of it, Only one person said - I am the way the truth and the life - Jesus Christ Jesus Christ is called the Word of God, he is God's truth - his law, that which holds all the universe together and created it by his Word-Jesus Christ. He is the truth of God in the flesh. The universe would crumble if God's word was not absolute, for then laws would not be absolute either, which would create choas.
You just have to decide which truth you believe, but you can't create your own, for you have not seen beyond the curtain. But the one who came from heaven has declared to us what lies ahead and how to get there. You need to put your faith in one who knows what lies ahead, because you don't have a clue!
You ramble on creating a straw-man argument. I accept Jesus as my personal Savior and have been Born Again of the water and the Spirit. Jesus is the only Way to God. This being said God is free to save whom He choses to save. Though He has bond salvation to baptism, He has not bond Himself to it. As Jesus reached out to the non-Jews of His day He still reaches out to those who are not Born Again Christians. In fact the Born Again Christian will be judged harder then the non-Christian because to whom much is given much is required.
John Preacher

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Hey Aussie John, Catholic PaulWv is correct, Jesus did come so that God could be knowable.
If you truly want the True God to reveal himself to you, pray this:
"Will the True God reveal himself to me" I believe God will honor a prayer like that, and Reveal his son Jesus Christ to you. Ofcourse I would suggest a Baptist or Pentacostal church.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

aussiejohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there, done that. Until the RCC deals credibly with rampant abuse of minors, of which i've seen in my own community, not having anything to do with them. Can't understand how people can defend the indefensible. But, appreciate the the thought all the same Paul. No hard feelings.
Is the abuse of minors acceptable according to the Catholic Church's teachings? No! Because men have failed to live up to their commitment to God does not mean Jesus has not revealed His Truth to His Catholic Church. Even among Jesus' twelve apostles there was one that fell short of his calling in Christ Jesus. Should all of Jesus apostles abandon Him, saying:“Look what one of His closest followers has done, let us too betray and leave Him.”
John Preacher

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Hey Aussie John,

In the end Salvation does not rest in what Church you believe in, but who you believe in.
All one needs do to be saved, is pray the sinners prayer, which is something like this.
"Father God I confess I am a sinner and need a savior, I ask Jesus Christ to be the Lord of my life, I believe he died on the cross for my sins, was burried and resurrected. Father God, I make you the Lord over my life come into my heart. In Jesus name, Amen

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Even "really, really greasy hash browns" will not defile man. You need to understand what Jesus was talking about.
Dont speak down to me.

I know a bad hash brown when I see it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

John Preacher wrote:
So God's word is truth, there is only one version of it, Only one person said - I am the way the truth and the life - Jesus Christ Jesus Christ is called the Word of God, he is God's truth - his law, that which holds all the universe together and created it by his Word-Jesus Christ.
We beg to differ here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 150,821 - 150,840 of198,714
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••