Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 254912 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#159613 Jan 22, 2013
Sorry - stop speaking LATIN

----------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentile#In_the_B...

The term Gentile (from Latin gentilis, by the French "gentil", female: "gentille", meaning of or belonging to a clan or tribe) is used by English translators for the Hebrew, גו&#14 97; (goy) and נכ&#15 12;י (nokhri) in the Hebrew Bible and the Greek word ἔθ&#957 ;η (éthnē) in the New Testament.

The term gentiles is derived from Latin, used for contextual translation, and not an original Hebrew or Greek word from the Bible. The original words Goy and Ethnos refer to "peoples" or "nations".

Latin and later English translators selectively used the term gentiles when the context for the base term "peoples" or "nations" referred to non-Israelite peoples or nations in English translations of the Bible.

Following Christianization of the Roman Empire, the general implication of the word gentile became "non-Jew".

In the Bible

In Saint Jerome's Latin version of the Bible, the Vulgate, gentilis was used in this wider sense, along with gentes, to translate Greek and Hebrew words with similar meanings when the text referred to the non-Hebrew peoples.

The most important of such Hebrew words was goyim (singular, goy), a term with the broad meaning of "peoples" or "nations" which was sometimes used to refer to Israelites, but most commonly as a generic label for peoples. Strong's Concordance defines goy as "nation, people, usually of non-Hebrew people, or of descendants of Abraham, or of Israel, or of a swarm of locusts or other animals (fig.) Goyim ='nations'." Strongs #1471[1]

In the King James Version, Gentile is only one of several words used to translate goy or goyim. It is translated as "nation" 374 times, "heathen" 143 times, "Gentiles" 30 times, and "people" 11 times. Some of these verses, such as Genesis 12:2 ("I will make of thee a great nation") and Genesis 25:23 ("Two nations are in thy womb") refer to Israelites or descendants of Abraham. Other verses, such as Isaiah 2:4 and Deuteronomy 11:23 are generic references to any nation.

Typically the KJV restricts the translation to "Gentile" when the text is specifically referring to non-Hebrew people. For example, the only use of the word in Genesis is in chapter 10, verse 5, referring to the peopling of the world by descendants of Japheth, "By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations."[2]

Location hidden

#159615 Jan 22, 2013
http://www.biblepages.web.surftown.se/gg01.ht...

Linguistics and etymology – the origin and meaning of the words ‘pagan’,‘gentile’ and ‘heathen’.

The word ‘gentile’,‘gentiles’.

The root and etymology of the noun “gentile”(“gentiles”) is that it comes from the Latin word gentilis which was used both as a noun and an adjective, in the meaning “the nations” and “of the nations”. In the Bible,“gentiles” is a reference to people of other nations than Israel – non-Israelites, non-Jews.

Clarification: The makers of the Catholic Vulgate version translated the Hebrew word goyim (“nations”) and the Greek word ethnoi (“nations”) with the Latin word gentilis which has the same meaning. That was then anglicised into “gentiles” and copied into English bible-versions.

Over time, people in English-speaking “Christian” nations began to use the word “gentiles” of people in other areas of the world, but that has nothing to do with the Bible or the Bible’s use of the Hebrew and Greek words in question.

Location hidden

#159618 Jan 22, 2013
...and here is an excerpt from a militaristically Christian website
http://www.saveyourheritage.com/who_is_a_gent...
----------

It's time to correct and learn the true meaning of the most misused word in the Bible, "Gentile."

The original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, the three languages in which the Bible was written, do not contain the word "gentile." Go ahead, get out your King James Version of the Bible and yes, there it is. Gentile. Over and over again. But in the original languages of the Bible, no such word. As Christianity spread into Europe the Bible had to be translated into a language that people could read and understand. Latin became the first common language for biblical translators to use.

Every time you find the word "gentile" in the King James Version of the Old Testament it's a mistranslation of the Hebrew word "goy" the plural of which is "goyim."

Strong's #1471 give this definition, "a foreign nation; hence a Gentile, Gentile, heathen, nation, people." Notice that the definition means "a foreign nation" and so the editors of the concordance added "hence a Gentile." By the time the Bible had been translated from the original language, the erroneous belief of the "gentiles" as "non-Jews" had been established.

So the biblical translators simply translated the word "goy" to fit the official doctrine of the church of their day, either not knowing or not caring what it did to the true meaning of the word.

The church had their "tradition" and the translators better toe the line or burning at the stake wasn't out of the question. So the translators did the best they could do under the strict guidelines of the Church. They selected the word "gentelisis" in Latin meaning a selected clan or race of the same stock and inserted it where "goy" was in the Hebrew text. The English translation? Gentile.

But this translation didn't always work and so the translators were at times forced to use the correct usage of the word. For example, in Genesis 12:2, God said to Abram, "I will make of thee a great nation." (KJV) In Hebrew, God said "I will make of thee a great GOY." It would have sounded quite silly to say, "I will make of thee a great Gentile," so in this instance "goy" is correctly translated "nation."

When Rebekah was pregnant with Jacob and Esau and the twins struggled in her womb, she asked God to explain it to her. He responded, "Two Goyim are in thy womb." (KJV) Was God telling her "Two Gentiles are in your womb?" Certainly. The verse is correctly translated "Two Nations are in thy womb." Yet that same word, "GOYIM" is translated elsewhere as "Gentiles."

In the New Testament you'll find the same mistranslation of "gentile" from the Greek word "ethnos."
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#159622 Jan 22, 2013
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus is God, Muslims cannot understand the meaning of the Holy Trinity.

You reject Jesus because He was Born a Jew so this means that God is a Jew in your opinion.
I cannot give you a lesson on theology here, but just look at God's chosen people. They control the world, you pay taxes to them. They have the capability to destroy all Muslims but they are merciful to you.

If Muslims had the intelligence, they would destroy the Jewish people but they cannot because God is on their side.

Your Allah is weak and impotent against the Jews, Allah's people are primitive barbaric losers. That speaks volumes about your religion.
This post of yours is another typical Christian BullShit!

That Jesus is God, IS rubbish and absurd. Same goes for Trinity, which is also an absurdity.

By the way, Muslims are the Saviors of the Jews. The Jews would have become EXTINCT at the hands of Christianity, if there were no Islam. They sought refuge in Islamic lands.

Please check out the darkest history of Christianity.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#159623 Jan 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And how come Jesus Himself came into being? Did any one ever heard the name Jesus, BEFORE he came out of womb of Mary?
How idiotic you people look to make such claims, to talk about things of which you know nothing.
Just repeating parrot like what John and Paul said "of their own minds", without any revelation from God Almighty.
The Holy Bible from beginning to end speak of Jesus. The Jews did not recognize Jesus when He came and neither do you. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets. There are many scholarly works in Christology which will help you understand the Holy Bible.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#159624 Jan 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
This post of yours is another typical Christian BullShit!
That Jesus is God, IS rubbish and absurd. Same goes for Trinity, which is also an absurdity.
By the way, Muslims are the Saviors of the Jews. The Jews would have become EXTINCT at the hands of Christianity, if there were no Islam. They sought refuge in Islamic lands.
Please check out the darkest history of Christianity.
Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. If you want to see God and enter Heaven you must do it through Jesus.
uhuh

Jumilla, Spain

#159625 Jan 22, 2013
the "prayer" every morning: Bless HaShem who did not make me a goy/ akum/ nochri

a daily reminder
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#159626 Jan 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
kind of amusing because I didnt wish anyone a good evening.
I understand Hebrew is similar to Arabic - you should of understood it
I wished you all a Good Morning !
OH dear ...the spin doctor lacks a sense of humour!! What is new?

In our part of the jungle called England...when somebody says good morning and if we wanna take the mick...we might say..and a good day to you...and its good night from us/him...or anything to that effect!!
More importantly...it was "evening/night" there...so I responded with a double entendre..!
wow.....in case you were wondering i did double check those words as you put in "English" against Hebrew!
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#159627 Jan 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop speaking Greek. Gentile is not a word used in the bible.
Wow...are you this thick?
When you stop speaking English I shall stop speaking foreign languages.

Ask all the Topix posters here to stop speaking Greek, Latin, and other Euro languages eh?

That dumps "Jesus" and "Christ" straight away!

Also good old buttboy pulled out "Gentile" from your edited books!
So tell HIM to stop speaking Latin Greek of even gibberish!!

If ALL non-gentiles stop using the word Gentile, we shall stop calling them Non-Gentiles.

Gentiles make up 99.5% of human race.
They DESERVE their OWN Messengers from GOD.

If your "god" cannot oblige we will have to call him a tribal racist bigoted sexist Anti-Gentile fake mini slave god of non-gentiles!!
Thank you..
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#159628 Jan 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
Sorry - stop speaking LATIN
----------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentile#In_the_B...
The term Gentile (from Latin gentilis, by the French "gentil", female: "gentille", meaning of or belonging to a clan or tribe) is used by English translators for the Hebrew, &#1490;&#1493;&#14 97; (goy) and &#1504;&#1499;&#15 12;&#1497; (nokhri) in the Hebrew Bible and the Greek word &#7956;&#952;&#957 ;&#951; (éthn&#275;) in the New Testament.
The term gentiles is derived from Latin, used for contextual translation, and not an original Hebrew or Greek word from the Bible. The original words Goy and Ethnos refer to "peoples" or "nations".
Latin and later English translators selectively used the term gentiles when the context for the base term "peoples" or "nations" referred to non-Israelite peoples or nations in English translations of the Bible.
Following Christianization of the Roman Empire, the general implication of the word gentile became "non-Jew".
In the Bible
In Saint Jerome's Latin version of the Bible, the Vulgate, gentilis was used in this wider sense, along with gentes, to translate Greek and Hebrew words with similar meanings when the text referred to the non-Hebrew peoples.
The most important of such Hebrew words was goyim (singular, goy), a term with the broad meaning of "peoples" or "nations" which was sometimes used to refer to Israelites, but most commonly as a generic label for peoples. Strong's Concordance defines goy as "nation, people, usually of non-Hebrew people, or of descendants of Abraham, or of Israel, or of a swarm of locusts or other animals (fig.) Goyim ='nations'." Strongs #1471[1]
In the King James Version, Gentile is only one of several words used to translate goy or goyim. It is translated as "nation" 374 times, "heathen" 143 times, "Gentiles" 30 times, and "people" 11 times. Some of these verses, such as Genesis 12:2 ("I will make of thee a great nation") and Genesis 25:23 ("Two nations are in thy womb") refer to Israelites or descendants of Abraham. Other verses, such as Isaiah 2:4 and Deuteronomy 11:23 are generic references to any nation.
Typically the KJV restricts the translation to "Gentile" when the text is specifically referring to non-Hebrew people. For example, the only use of the word in Genesis is in chapter 10, verse 5, referring to the peopling of the world by descendants of Japheth, "By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations."[2]
Thankfully that word is not connected to "genitals"!!!
I would not have put it past the arrogant non-gentiles, who insult Gentiles as DOGS and PIGS!!
You wanna challenge me on that too?
If they did....then we could have called them "Non-Genitals"
Mercy is upon all...
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#159630 Jan 22, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. If you want to see God and enter Heaven you must do it through Jesus.
Don't waste your time on Jesus. If you follow his way, it will lead to death. That is what he got, according to your books. Right?

Only the LORD Almighty God gives life and death and promises a good life in the hereafter to the believers.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#159631 Jan 22, 2013
Never say HOST NAILING either in English!
The non-gentiles will be accused of nailing the "bread" body of (Greek or Latin or Euro...) "Christ"
Buford

Scott Depot, WV

#159632 Jan 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
OK!
So, let me talk about the focal point.
After putting all translations under a microscopic scrutiny, I have concluded that this is what it means:
"Now, the Lord says, "You are not just my servant who restores the tribes of Jacob and brings back those in Israel whom I have preserved. I have also made you a light for the nations so that you would save people all over the world.""
So, the good LORD made Isaiah a light for nations. You can see that Jesus did not restore the tribes of Jacob. Thus Jesus is out!
I picked up this translation from God's Word translation after a very close scrutiny.
You weren't paying attention. Impotent Al charged that the "non-gen" books were concerned ONLY with "non-gens," which is why I posted Isaiah 49:6, not that it matters to Impotent Al, because he knows for a FACT that the "non-Jews" have corrupted their texts to give themselves some kind of salvation supremacy over the world, and that the One True God of Mohammad wouldn't have "revealed" anything like Isaiah 49:6 through any LEGITIMATE prophet. THIS is why Impotent Al REWROTE Isaiah 49:6 and atrtributed it to "REAL GOD."
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#159633 Jan 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't waste your time on Jesus. If you follow his way, it will lead to death. That is what he got, according to your books. Right?
Only the LORD Almighty God gives life and death and promises a good life in the hereafter to the believers.
Jesus rose from the dead and has power over death. He ascended into Heaven from where He shall come to judge the living and the dead. Jesus, the Lord Almighty God, is the Gate you must enter through to enter Heaven; there is no other gate.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#159634 Jan 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people are in the world, in whose body Holy Ghost resides?
We should search them and worship them as God, because they have one Third of Holy Trinity inside their bellies, their intestines, their blood stream, their guts and all internal parts of their bodies!!
How idiotic some people look when they use Idiotic phrases like "Holy Ghost" enters their bodies etc.
Little Children who do not understand what they utter....Blasphemy of the Highest Degree!!
That is a brilliant observation brother!
Each deluded person thinks that the "ghost" is inside him/her!
This "ghost" tells each person a different thing....the ghost in latino catholic tells him to enjoy HOT chillies, ghost in russian orthodox tells him to eat juicy PORK sausages and the ghost in american evangie tells him to convert the non-gentiles in Israel while killing Muslims!!!
This is definitely a "ghost" alright...! a sinister dark force.
Buford

Scott Depot, WV

#159635 Jan 22, 2013
CORRECTION:

You weren't paying attention. Impotent Al charged that the "non-gen" books were concerned ONLY with "non-gens," which is why I posted Isaiah 49:6, not that it matters to Impotent Al, because he knows for a FACT that the "NON-GENS" have corrupted their texts to give themselves some kind of salvation supremacy over the world, and that the One True God of Mohammad wouldn't have "revealed" anything like Isaiah 49:6 through any LEGITIMATE prophet. THIS is why Impotent Al REWROTE Isaiah 49:6 and atrtributed it to "REAL GOD."

As to the charge of corruption, produce the original that was corrupted, or withdraw the charge.
Buford

Scott Depot, WV

#159637 Jan 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it is also time for you to take a double dose of your meds, Muslim Hater.
I don't hate Muslims, but I do pity the slaves of the Arabian Control Freak.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#159638 Jan 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.....you do give it to them bro!lol..
I am kinda thinking of this "way" and "rest" from a commercial angle!

This sounds like a very fast "motor way". You can stop there, rest & relax, have a bite, drink "unholy spirits", relieve yourself at will...and continue the journey!

They can charge for the "service"...pardon the pun.

Yep..if they drive too fast or carelessly or full of spirit.. on this "motor way" it will probably get them to "god very quickly!
Hooray...
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#159639 Jan 22, 2013
Buford wrote:
CORRECTION:
You weren't paying attention. Impotent Al charged that the "non-gen" books were concerned ONLY with "non-gens," which is why I posted Isaiah 49:6, not that it matters to Impotent Al, because he knows for a FACT that the "NON-GENS" have corrupted their texts to give themselves some kind of salvation supremacy over the world, and that the One True God of Mohammad wouldn't have "revealed" anything like Isaiah 49:6 through any LEGITIMATE prophet. THIS is why Impotent Al REWROTE Isaiah 49:6 and atrtributed it to "REAL GOD."
As to the charge of corruption, produce the original that was corrupted, or withdraw the charge.
paying attention? To you? Who the hell do you think you are? Non-gen jesus and his clueless disciples?
Don't flatter yourself little creep.

How many Gentile Messengers from God do you believe in and follow you chronic psychotic?

Answer that and give the intelligent Topix readers a good laugh!!
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#159640 Jan 22, 2013
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>I don't hate Muslims, but I do pity the slaves of the Arabian Control Freak.
Unlike the failed NON-GEN control freak who could not even convince his OWN people and got "host nailed" by the NON-GENS?

How did he take his REVENGE?

Come back as GHOST to haunt HONEST Paul and as a result get MILLIONS of innocent NON-GENS MURDERED as CHRIST(Can we use Greek? The non-gen spin doc wants Hebrew...shall we say..MASHIACH?) KILLERS!

Not a good record eh for a loving Non-Gen Mashiach?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Curtis Brown column: Trick-or-Treat not to ever... (Oct '10) Sep 19 T Marie 10
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sep 14 Pariah 4,886
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) Sep 14 Bob of Quantum-Faith 843
News Remembering a Christian and a Jew who traced an... Sep 13 Philbert 23
Anyone still at this forum Aug '16 Sarah Good 1
When do you know if you are truly Wiccan? (Nov '07) Aug '16 Tekmoses 137
Convert me from Agnostic to Atheist Jul '16 ATHEOI 2
More from around the web