Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

There are 14735 comments on the News24 story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Why Atheism Will Replace Religion. In it, News24 reports that:

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#13680 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, without beliefs, no one would have butchered the Librarian Hypatia at Alexandria, there would have been no Crusades, inquisitions or witchcraft trials. Several mass murders and the holocaust would likely never have happened.
Belief has been so (not) beneficial.
And without the atheistic beliefs of dozens of fascist regimes in the 20th century, 180 to 240 million men, women. and children would not have been gassed, gunned down or starved to death.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#13681 Jul 27, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you not confusing religions with mere belief in GOD? Religions are organised, whether via establihments or not, belief vehicles. Humans need religions so they invent them. Beliefs are then endemic part of human journey so far. Religions have been good and bad for humans and the arch believers (nowadays the jihadists like MUQ) maintain that religions are being miused by humans as if relgions were "knives".
You made the claim that "belief" has been beneficial for mankind. Individuals can believe in many different things. You say man "needs" religion. Please cite one case where a human has died due to a lack of religion (witch trials and inquisitions don't count).

Belief or faith in something with no supporting evidence is successful only in cases of random coincidence. Beyond that, there is no truth in faith. Therefore, there is no value in having faith. There is value in verifiable evidence.

#13682 Jul 27, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Dark ages occurred due to the fall of the Roman Empire in main!
For which Christians claim a vast amount of credit.

#13683 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
And without the atheistic beliefs of dozens of fascist regimes in the 20th century, 180 to 240 million men, women. and children would not have been gassed, gunned down or starved to death.
No one has ever been executed for an atheistic ideal. You are merely claiming communists and fascists were also atheists ... a tenuous connection at best and at mean, a bald faced lie.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#13684 Jul 27, 2013
I might disagree with you here and there, but I like your openness to a variety of viewpoints, and your style of thinking out loud with wondering, rather than being dictatorial about some conclusion or other.
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is also a belief but I find 995 of atheist very truthful and logical lot. However, one cannot shut the door on GOD since we do not know meaning of it all! However, then GOD need not present cultures or man invented religions and it can be a concept representing all we do not know and representing the mystery of physical matter and non-matter, laws governing physics at all levels (I believe there are far more levels than we have discovered so far), living organisms and their striving for existence as individual and specis , etc.
However, human cultures have believed in GOD or similar things while human brain was evolving and hence "belief" is important to humans. It does not imply that "belief matters" are truth or facts.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#13685 Jul 27, 2013
less likely is a much more modest phrase than your assertions about reality, and the 'real' with parens is also more modest. I am an agnostic atheist, meaning not making a knowledge claim and not believing. Agnostic means not making a knowledge claim when used as an adjective. Some regard agnosticism as asserting that matters regarding God can not be known - that seems to me to violate the spirit of the attitude of being agnostic about something. I merely suspect many things cannot be known, but do not claim to know that they cannot be.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the problem. It 'could be' anything we imagine and we can imagine a lot. We have a very effective process (the Scientific Method) that helps us differentiate what is 'real' and what is mere imagination. There's no reason to say things like 'God is stranger than we can ever imagine'. The further any creature lives outside of our imagination, the less likely it exists.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#13686 Jul 27, 2013
But if that were true how could ancient tribal people have so many interactions with him/them?

I always ask if it is more likely they were mistaken or merely making up comfort measures or did they have abilities to observe this god that we don't?
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>Could it be that GOD has not the type of quality we mere humans can ever imagine. Who/what/etc put all universe/s together? We have to be humble that we are still probing. What you are referring is, perhaps, heaven in skies as found in some religions. You are then right if you say that all religions have been proved wrong by human discoveries so far.
Dak-Original

Slough, UK

#13687 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
You made the claim that "belief" has been beneficial for mankind. Individuals can believe in many different things. You say man "needs" religion. Please cite one case where a human has died due to a lack of religion (witch trials and inquisitions don't count).
Belief or faith in something with no supporting evidence is successful only in cases of random coincidence. Beyond that, there is no truth in faith. Therefore, there is no value in having faith. There is value in verifiable evidence.
Human psyche evolved believing and many research programmes have proved that beliefs do help humans' psychological well being.
Dak-Original

Slough, UK

#13688 Jul 27, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
But if that were true how could ancient tribal people have so many interactions with him/them?
I always ask if it is more likely they were mistaken or merely making up comfort measures or did they have abilities to observe this god that we don't?
<quoted text>
Even today miracles of GOD abound in illterate or semi literate communities. Royal priests were power in themsleves and demanded sacrifices upon thier claims if the rains failed to arrive for a longtime. It was all to do about appeasing "GOD" so that GOD is "satisfied enough" be reasonable on poor souls!

#13689 Jul 27, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Human psyche evolved believing and many research programmes have proved that beliefs do help humans' psychological well being.
Human psyche's developed to recognize patterns even when there aren't any patterns there. Humans have many mechanisms to psychologically soothe themselves including beliefs .... so what?

#13690 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Human psyche's developed to recognize patterns even when there aren't any patterns there. Humans have many mechanisms to psychologically soothe themselves including beliefs .... so what?
Here ... count the black dots and get back to me, M'kay?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#13691 Jul 27, 2013
So we can see first hand in these accounts how the god myth is likely to have arose. I can see how in ancient times leaders would make these fanciful tales up as a manner of explaining the unexplained or comforting the sick or dying. We see examples of religious mass hysteria among the illiterate to this day as you mentioned.

But we are progressing as a species, growing up if you will and the time has come to put away childish things.

Today a Christian will chuckle at accounts of Ra pulling the sun behind his chariot across the sky as antiquated but that was considered a serious religious belief for millions upon millions of people. Yet that same Christian will defend the son of God coming to earth on a suicide mission because a woman ate a magical apple. Lol!
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>Even today miracles of GOD abound in illterate or semi literate communities. Royal priests were power in themsleves and demanded sacrifices upon thier claims if the rains failed to arrive for a longtime. It was all to do about appeasing "GOD" so that GOD is "satisfied enough" be reasonable on poor souls!

#13692 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
And would you believe it?!? square A and B are exactly the same shade of grey.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

The point is, the human mind can not trust what it thinks it sees. Everything must be tested. It's all about the verifiable evidence.

United States of America

#13693 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Or we could design our successor species to be capable of inhabiting space. Long term dormancies, resistance, maybe even preference for cold, photosynthesis, ability to respire with a multitude of gas admospheres, maybe even liquids. It certainly wouldn't be human .... but so what?
That might work....if we designed ones that didn't produce excess flatulence like human space travelers. Otherwise, we're still stuck with the risk management problem of static electricity igniting farts and blowing up the whole damn ship.....

There are other issues that complicate things as well. Humans have symbiotic relationships with dozens/hundreds of other species who reside inside and outside our bodies, like those little critters that live in our hair follicles and keep them clean and healthy. If space travel does bad things to them--kills them--even designer humans probably couldn't survive turing into a crusty scab.

I'd love to be able to one day hitchhike the Milky Way or see the Horsehead Nebula with my own eyes but it's not going to happen while I'm in this human body.

United States of America

#13694 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has ever been executed for an atheistic ideal. You are merely claiming communists and fascists were also atheists ... a tenuous connection at best and at mean, a bald faced lie.
It's a well-documented fact that atheist regimes killed millions of people simply because they refused to renounce their religions and accept the idea that there was no God.

#13695 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a well-documented fact that atheist regimes killed millions of people simply because they refused to renounce their religions and accept the idea that there was no God.
If this is so well documented, you should have no problem producing such a document .... I'll wait .... unless you are lying again.

United States of America

#13696 Jul 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is so well documented, you should have no problem producing such a document .... I'll wait .... unless you are lying again.
Throughout the history of the Soviet Union, Christianity was suppressed and persecuted to different extents depending on the particular era. Soviet policy toward religion was based on the ideology of Marxism-Leninism, which made atheism the official doctrine of the Soviet Union. Marxism-Leninism has consistently advocated the control, suppression, and the elimination of religion.

The state was committed to the destruction of religion, and destroyed churches, mosques and temples, ridiculed, harassed and executed religious leaders, flooded the schools and media with atheistic propaganda, and generally promoted 'scientific atheism' as the truth that society should accept.(((((((The total number of Christians killed, as a result of Soviet state atheist policies, has been estimated at over 20 million.)))))))))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_C...

Theists and atheists alike have killed "heretics" to their particular belief systems but so far atheists have scoured more kills....

#13697 Jul 27, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Throughout the history of the Soviet Union, Christianity was suppressed and persecuted to different extents depending on the particular era. Soviet policy toward religion was based on the ideology of Marxism-Leninism, which made atheism the official doctrine of the Soviet Union. Marxism-Leninism has consistently advocated the control, suppression, and the elimination of religion.
The state was committed to the destruction of religion, and destroyed churches, mosques and temples, ridiculed, harassed and executed religious leaders, flooded the schools and media with atheistic propaganda, and generally promoted 'scientific atheism' as the truth that society should accept.(((((((The total number of Christians killed, as a result of Soviet state atheist policies, has been estimated at over 20 million.)))))))))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_C...
Theists and atheists alike have killed "heretics" to their particular belief systems but so far atheists have scoured more kills....
In this case, communists didn't want social competition from the churches. Religion was supressed for communist purposes. It had nothing to do with atheism.

Thanks for proving you are lying again. BTW, Hitler was a christian and he was killing for christian ideals.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#13698 Jul 27, 2013
Dak-Original wrote:
<quoted text>
Could it be that GOD has not the type of quality we mere humans can ever imagine. Who/what/etc put all universe/s together? We have to be humble that we are still probing. What you are referring is, perhaps, heaven in skies as found in some religions. You are then right if you say that all religions have been proved wrong by human discoveries so far.
Bible said we are "made in his image" ... bipedal? Mammalian? Oxygen breathers? Binocular vision? Or is it more the way we think? How we process information? The Bible certainly suggests God is petty, jealous, vengeful and almost child-like. The Fruit, as they say, doesn't fall far from the tree. Reminds me of an alcoholic/abusive parent. I think we can handle the Truth. Lay it on me.

"Heaven in skies" didn't come out of any Atheist's head. I think they've been "proved wrong" about a lot of things. Some of it minor stuff ... like where we came from and where we're going. No big deal.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#13699 Jul 27, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
They look like religious nuts like MUQ.
With a rich, creamy nougat center!

"Sometimes you feel like a nut!
Sometimes you don't!!"

<candy commercial, currently about 30 light years from Earth>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pagan/Wiccan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) Dec 7 Mr goody two shoes 256,266
News Looking for a Pagan community in Kentucky? (Mar '12) Dec 3 Nope 17
News Poland's bishops say Halloween is harmful, pagan (Oct '12) Oct '17 Kim 21
can spells be done in the daytime? (Sep '06) Oct '17 Scarlet Hernandez 7
News Curtis Brown column: Trick-or-Treat not to ever... (Oct '10) Oct '17 RationalChick 11
News Out of the Broom Closet: DC Witches in Their Ow... Oct '17 Hajinon 1
News Bloomfield woman behind Ten Commandments monume... (Aug '14) Oct '17 GiveUpUDummies 8
More from around the web